Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 19547 times)

Maria

• What is it, fish?
Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2006, 12:26:47 PM »

I wonder if Luba Kadison's apartment was rent controlled.
I once visited Dorothy Frooks, an elderly lady lawyer, at Morgans, the too too trendy hotel on Madison Ave. (I was doing research for a screenplay. Miss Frooks had been hired by Harry K. Thaw - yes THE HKT - to defend a young woman accused of murder. Thaw fell for Miss Frooks in the midst of all this. A fascinating story. Frooks is featured as one of the "witnesses" in the movie REDS.)
ANYWAY, Miss Frooks had lived for many years in what had become Morgans. When they were renovating the building to create the chrome-on-chrome hotel, she refused to leave her digs, so her rent could not be raised.
So - when you entered her apartment, you'd go from the terribly trendy hallway and step back 50 years by crossing her threshold. Very unsettling and interesting.
If you want to read a little about Dorothy Frooks, BTW, the Wikipedia entry is TOTALLY wrong. You can find a bit at
http://library.law.columbia.edu/rise_of_women/practice/dorothy_frooks.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:31:02 PM by Maria »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »

I once visited Dorothy Frooks, an elderly lady lawyer, at Morgans, the too too trendy hotel on Madison Ave. (I was doing research for a screenplay. Miss Frooks had been hired by Harry K. Thaw - yes THE HKT - to defend a young woman accused of murder. Thaw fell for Miss Frooks in the midst of all this. A fascinating story. Frooks is featured as one of the "witnesses" in the movie REDS.)
ANYWAY, Miss Frooks had lived for many years in what had become Morgans. When they were renovating the building to create the chrome-on-chrome hotel, she refused to leave her digs, so her rent could not be raised.
So - when you entered her apartment, you'd go from the terribly trendy hallway and step back 50 years by crossing her threshold. Very unsettling and interesting.
If you want to read a little about Dorothy Frooks, BTW, the Wikipedia entry is TOTALLY wrong. You can find a bit at
http://library.law.columbia.edu/rise_of_women/practice/dorothy_frooks.html

Good for her!  She sounds like a good ol' gal.

And now I wonder, is Ms. Frooks' apartment in the same shape as you saw it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:22 PM »

If the resolution is not that important, you can just hit ALT + Print Scrn on the web page and then Paste it into the Word doc.  If you want to be able to clearly read the what's on the webpage, you might have to paste it into Paint and then crop off some of the white space before you paste into the Word doc.

That's more or less what a co-worker just told me - and it worked!  Thanks,  DR Dan(the Man)!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2006, 12:48:14 PM »

As for Wikipedia's accuracy, read this linked article.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »

Congratulations, TPunk!!  How did your kids do when you said good-bye?

Things went alright because we have been talking about it for the past 6 weeks or so.  Everything went pretty well yesterday up until the afternoon when I found out the reason why one of my kids wasn't present at school so I could say goodbye.  He had been hospitalized over the weekend and his mother had been arrested (mostly without cause) so that made for a rough and uncertain but I suppose rather fitting end to my internship.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »

My mother just booked her first cruise - to Alaska - and she will be almost 88 years old when she sets sail.

My mother just booked her first cruise - also to Alaska - as a 60th birthday present to herself.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »

Thank you for all of the good wishes everyone.  I think I am still waiting for it to completely sink in.  Maybe it won't until my diploma is in hand.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2006, 12:59:48 PM »

I just had the most amazing lunch with Rodzinski.  I met him at his office and we went to Little India in Queens for an Indian buffet lunch.  I made three trips to ensure we got our money's worth of course.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:00:13 PM by TPunk »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »

Now I am back home doing laundry which is not quite as amazing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »

Two releases today that have me shaking my head because of their covers:

First, there's this one:

and then that one:

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:38 PM »

Back from LACC and a very productive two-and-a-half hour rehearsal, in which I barrelled through a good deal of the first act and blocked three musical numbers. By the end of Thursday, I hope to be close to finishing the first act.  Then I'll try to barrel through act two next Tuesday and Thursday, which will leave us a week to hone stuff as much as possible and to start having run-throughs.  Hopefully, I can at least get everything to flow properly.  The kids are all picking everything up very fast.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »

DR Ron - I have cancelled my trip to San Francisco.  There are many unpleasant things that have been happening at work and I decided to take the cats to the lake for 4 or 5 days around memorial day rather than spend 4-5 days in a hotel meeting room listening to lectures about things I already know...even if it is in San Francisco

Doh!  Gizzafratz und ratzendatz!

:(

Oh, well.  Another time.

I'll live.

Enjoy the lake...I'm sure the tranquillity and companionship will be very soothing.

:)

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2006, 01:19:54 PM »

My library visit is now at an end.  See you all tomorrow.

See ya...'round the stacks!

:)

(couldn't resist).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »

As for Wikipedia's accuracy, read this linked article.

Thanks for that, Dan. Fascinating and scary. Guess people better not toss out their Funk & Wagnalls just yet.

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »

Thanks for that, Dan. Fascinating and scary. Guess people better not toss out their Funk & Wagnalls just yet.

DS Rob and I were just discussing Wikipedia's accuracy last night.  In my information-waitressing, I use their entries just as sources of clues for where I might find credible information.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »

Got many things watched and cleared off the DVR. First up was last night's OLD CHRISTINE. I enjoyed the show, and the brother character is growing on me. He was very funny last night. Wanda Sykes fits in this show as a supporting player much better than when she was the lead of her own series. Not a skilled enough comic actress to carry the burden of a series, but to pop in, deliver a few jokes, and exit, she's perfect.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2006, 01:38:47 PM »

CSI: MIAMI had a story based on the Paris Hilton/Jessica Simpson types of celebrities famous for being famous. Good episode setting up the two part season finale.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »

THE SOPRANOS was a rather humdrum episode, I thought. A couple of plot points puttering along at a snail's pace, but a lot of other stuff of not much interest (to me anyway).

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2006, 01:44:37 PM »

Then I watched MADAME X that I had recorded off TCM over the weekend. Hadn't seen it all the way through in a long time. I noticed the credits were windowboxed, but the rest of the film was shown full frame.

I know he made some famous movies, but how did Keir Dullea not become a bigger star? He had the looks, the talent. I guess Robert Redford moved in and got what might have been his career.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2006, 01:53:06 PM »

And the word of the day is: DELIVERANCE!

<<squeal>>
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2006, 01:55:42 PM »

Perhaps TCB will regale us with tales of his days as cabin boy on the Tea clipper ships.

But you warned me never to repeat those stories.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:11 PM »

Speaking of information waitressing, I have 4 solid hours of it tonight - alternating between the reference desk and the phone center.

Bye for now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »

DR MATTH - that is one of my favorite Lana Turner performances (Pauline Kael notwithstanding)....  And of course she looks fantastic....

There is the story (might be publicity of course) that once Lana was made up as the OLDER Holly, that all the mirrors be covered so that she wouldn't catch sight of herself.

Constance Bennett was the scary looking one, though.  And dead between filming and release.  She had gone to Switzerland for a long put off face lift....she was afraid of the surgery....but went through with it once she was cast in MADAME X...  Vanity.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:36 PM »

Nice blog, DR GINNY......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

I guess I should have added Mississippi Cruise, Circle line NY cruise, Crossing the English channel, cruise on Lake Lucern , Cruises on whatever the lake is in Queenstown Hobbitland, a cruise up the Rhine and cruises on the Moldau, and on the Thames.

The crews I left to Jose.

And the Mark Twain at Disneyland!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »

Ooo, I'm so excited - I now have a blog:

Nonprofit Notes

Very VERY cool!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »

I just had the most amazing lunch with Rodzinski.  I met him at his office and we went to Little India in Queens for an Indian buffet lunch.  I made three trips to ensure we got our money's worth of course.

Well, I'll be darned...that is where I had lunch with Rodzinski! Did you stop and buy any $5 Bollywood DVDs?

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2006, 02:27:50 PM »

DR Tomovoz... when are you due to hit NYC?

vixmom

« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2006, 02:30:57 PM »

I cannot remember if I congratulated TPunk on her momentous achievement and being too  lazy to try and backtrack...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MOMENTOUS GRADUATION ACHIEVEMENT DEAR READER TPUNK WE ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/move] [/color]

vixmom

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »

Mother/Daughter Girl Scout Dinner starts in 30 minutes!! BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up