Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TGIF  (Read 16072 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TGIF
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »

DRV: 1930S version of SHOWBOAT (I have messed up the taping of this movie every previous time it has been shown, so  hope this time it works out!)

quote]

I have it on two different laserdiscs (one from Criterion and one from MGM). If something went wrong and you still didn't get it, I can certainly burn you a copy of the film. Let me know.

I think I read somewhere that Warners is working on a DVD boxed set of the three SHOW BOAT movies (similar to the laserdisc set), and this would be awesome to have.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »

Page Four Lucifer Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »

Yes, DR Ron, I will get to that kitchen floor when I go back downstairs later.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »

First up this afternoon was last night's CSI. Yes, as per all the advertisements for the episode, one of the team did get shot. This person's life hangs in the balance through next week's cliffhanger.

Not the greatest of episodes last night, however. The case they were investigating wasn't especially interesting, and there was A LOT of talk about marriage among all the team members last night.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »

Then, I put in JUPITER'S DARLING on laserdisc.

I got this years ago and had only watched it once. It was Esther Williams' last MGM musical, and the last one for Marge and Gower Champion at the studio, too.

The movie was filmed in Eastmancolor, and the first reel looked fairly bland with faded color and dirt on the image. Later reels were VERY colorful and looked in better shape. The sound seemed softer and must have been recorded at a lower level. I had to turn up my receiver to get decent volume for the feature.

Ironically, the laserdisc also added a cut number (George Sanders' only song in the film and the best of the numbers featuring the CHampions. That clip, however, had started to turn pink and is in really bad shape.)

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »

In a laserdisc mood, I next put on A DATE WITH JUDY. This is an old transfer, and the Technicolor was not very vibrant. Clips from the film featured in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT are deeply saturated and burst with color, but the print used for this old laser transfer was not especially sharp or colorful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »

I've spent from ten this morning until now writing the new song that's to replace the song that didn't work at all in our musical.  This one is SO much better - I've been struggling with it for weeks.  David and I came up with an idea about what it should be about, and then I sort of came up with a bossa nova tune but I couldn't make it work.  Two days ago, I wrote a new tune, a cross between a 50s TV show song and a Gidget song - so right, and then I just had to get the lyric right.  It's got a few really good laughs in it too, always a plus.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »

We went to see the Posideon Adventure last night. The real one. From 1972. With Shelly Winters in all her glory and Stella Stevens in all her underwear. It was part of Chelsea Classics night. $6 at Chelsea Cinemas, Where Dreams Come True, plus a floor show with Hedda Lettuce. What a hoot!....

This was on AMC just last night!  I taped it and will watch it sometime...I also taped the made-for-TV remake and will watch that, too.  My niece wants to see the new in-the-theater major motion picture, "Posideon," so I'll get the whole history.

Otherwise, in my VCR:  tapes to tape tonight's shows, ABC from 9-11, NBC from 9-11 and Sci-Fi from 9-10.

In my DVD player:  nothing that I can think of.  I'm still house-sitting, so I haven't taken the time to watch much of either Taboo or Jerry Springer:  The Opera.  This is the last weekend, so maybe sometime next week.  We'll see. ;)

In my CD player:  a few CDs through very, very, very (that's three verys) kind courtesy of DR Elmore!  Then the concert version of South Pacific with Reba and Stokes.  You'd think that I would've brought some Cheryl Bentyne (of The Manhattan Transfer) CDs, since I'm going to see her perform tonight!!  But I didn't.  I do have Janis Siegel's CD, "A Thousand Beautiful Things," which is very good. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »

Heading downstairs now to mop that kitchen floor and then settle in for the evening.

WBBL.

George

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »

I got this "Chuckle of the Day" in an e-mail:

You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex ..........

It keeps me from streaking!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:32:18 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

Morning, Tomovoz.

How are things in your parts?

Er, let me rephrase that...
Thank you DtM. It's a year ago since strangers were checking out my parts (May 17th I think). All seems well but I then I may forgotten what the parts were used for.  

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2006, 03:31:51 PM »

Chastity - a concept for the young.  All too soon you are unchased. Ok, Belt up.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO
[/color] [/b]

DRS ANN AND JED!
[/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2006, 03:36:22 PM »

And the word of the day is: CHASTITY!

Or, Chastity is the one thing that Sonny didn't Cher.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2006, 03:36:48 PM »

First up this afternoon was last night's CSI. Yes, as per all the advertisements for the episode, one of the team did get shot. This person's life hangs in the balance through next week's cliffhanger.

Not the greatest of episodes last night, however. The case they were investigating wasn't especially interesting, and there was A LOT of talk about marriage among all the team members last night.

I can't figure out why they think we'd care about whether this character lives or dies on the show.  Not a major draw for me, as a character.

Ho-hum.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »

I'm attending a luncheon celebrating  the 60th birthday of my School friend Gavin today.  I think we've seen each other four times sinces we were in our twenties and had very occasional email contact.  I'm not sure that I really want to step back into my teenage years but I guess the other guests may well feel the same. We are different but the same! The more we change ......

Tomorrow I get to see a production of "The Scarlet Pimpernel".  The same (very good) Company produced "J & H" last year. I suspect this show will have the same (low) level of enjoyment for me.  I doubt if I've bothered playing the OBC recording more than once!  I like to support the non-professional companies and am pleased they are not just bothering with the tried and true.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:42:23 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »

On Sunday we are visiting also! We know this cute couple who live uptown near The Cloisters. We thought we would go up and see them before Anthony leaves. If it's not raining (again not likely according to the weather report) we will go Cloistering, otherwise we will have brunch and laugh and talk and give Tom Tryon books to them and then come home. A good time is expected.

Some of you might know this couple. They go by the names Tom and Antonia  ;)

And these heathens have never read Tom Tryon???
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2006, 03:44:58 PM »

Or, Chastity is the one thing that Sonny didn't Cher.
At least there are two of who have attempted to use the S & C Connection!
Oh Well - the beat Goes on. C'est La vie.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

Oh and re: VERONICA MARS.   I didn't realize that it was Clarence Wiedman who did that thing with harry hamlin.

Hmmm, perhaps I should watch VERONICA MARS!
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »

DR MattH, I read online that the new WB/UPN station will be announcing it's Fall line-up on Thursday!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2006, 04:02:11 PM »

Any chance that Gil Grissom will marry Nick Stokes?
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2006, 04:07:19 PM »

Well, I'm off now to run a few errands then I'll be on my way to Seattle to see Cheryl Bentyne in concert!!  I can't wait...I just hope I can find parking! :o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO
[/color] [/b]

[size=e]DRS ANN AND JED![/size]
[/color][/b]

And congratulations to TCB for catching up!

:D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:12:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »

Greetings from La Jolla.  Saw ZHIVAGO, which a Dear Friend is appearing in, and enjoyed it throughly.  I understand they're putting in some changes tonight, so I'm really curious as to how they could make it even better, and am going back to see it again, and then traveling home tomorrow.  Heard reports of bad weather in NYC, so I'm hoping for a smooth flight.  (There was a lot of turbulence on my flight here on Wednesday, with the captain having to make periodiuc announcements warning us about it.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »

Any chance that Gil Grissom will marry Nick Stokes?

There certainly seems to be enough chemistry there for this to happen.

Neither character is openly straight in the relationship department.

FJL

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »

Didn't David Letterman once do Celebrity Crossword, with a crossword grid showing space for two letters for number two across, and the clue was "Is Chastity Bono a good name for a child?"  

Many many years ago, of course.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »

And these heathens have never read Tom Tryon???

We'll have to tie 'em up and drive 'em up to "Harvest Home" for the festitivites!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:17:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

FJL

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »

See you all later.  Got to give up the computer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

Y'all come back now!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »

We'll have to tie 'em up and drive 'em up to "Harvest Home" for the festitivites!

CROWNED HEADS was my favorite of his books.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up