Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: EQUILIBRIUM  (Read 24826 times)

Ben

Re:EQUILIBRIUM
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 06:42:39 AM »

I watched Part One of Frontline last night. It's a two-part special on AIDS. It's been 25 years since the first report of AIDS in the U.S. Part Two is on this evening. I shall try to watch. Although we've made progress we still have a long, long way to go.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 06:45:58 AM »

I did bring us to Page 2 but it is exceedingly slow to load.

Another moderately priced restaurant has bit the dust in New York. Puelo's and Puelo's 2 are both gone. They closed, without announcement, over the Memorial Day Weekend. They are the latest casualties in the rebuilding of 45th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Frankie and Johnnie's will probably be the next (and last) to go. Damn them, damn them all to hell (to quote a certain writer, record producer, bon vivant and owner of buns and abs of steel  ;))
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:19:11 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 07:08:11 AM »

DTM, EQUINOX is indead schlock! LOL!

It used to play on Saturday nights Creature Features quite often when I was a kid...but it seems to have developed quite a following...the only thing I liked about it was the use of stop motion animated monsters.

The poster is rather cool, tho!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 07:10:21 AM »

DR TPunk, your Cat rating of 1 to 10 cracked me up! LOL!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »

I've always detested the Disneyfication of the theatre district.  In the downloadable Tony Awards program (it's available on either Playbill-Online.com or TonyAwards.org--I forget where at the mo') there's an upbeat article on the current state of B'way.  To drive home the point, it contains a sentence:  "Do you remember what the neighborhood was like twenty years ago?"  I do.  It had character, then.  Now it resembles nothing more than a retail mall, with the same stores and goods you can buy just about anywhere else.  Thanks goodness that there are still theatres around.  Though I shudder to think how long it might be before the building owners come to believe that their profit margins are not meeting the potential windfalls these spaces might otherwise supply.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 07:14:29 AM »

I must agree with DRMBARNUM re: EQUINOX....horrible and bottom of the barrel.  WTH is it doing with a Criterion release?  THE BLOB, just maybe, but EQUINOX?

I can only have hope then that the Criterion ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN can't be far behind.

My sql socks were causing problems on the site this morning as well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 07:17:17 AM »

Drama at the theatre.

Nathan the ASM said: "Cast Pepsi machine is empty."  I gave him the key and said fill it up!  Yesterday the fool who orders looked in the office and thought "We have enough product for opening (four performances including a HOT Sunday matinee) so he didn't order anything."

Cast machine filled....NO Pepsi product left for the audience!  Man who orders Pepsi is called:  Wife says:  He is busy and can't be bothered with that.  Don't call him again.  

8-/

Emergency order from Pepsi to arrive today or tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 07:18:42 AM »

Musical director, who is a great martyr, but would have had problems with how the Crucifixion was handled, said there is too much music for the bows and she can't just end it when the bows are done....there will have to be a special rehearsal just for that.

I told her she should just end with "shave and hair cut - two bits" and a rimshot.  She was NOT amused.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 07:22:59 AM »

Though I shudder to think how long it might be before the building owners come to believe that their profit margins are not meeting the potential windfalls these spaces might otherwise supply.

Dan, at least we still have the Landmarks law or what you speak of could probably come to pass. After the destruction of the Morosco and original Helen Hayes Theatres we woke up, a little anyway. They built over the Palace, they built over the (now closed) Mark Hellinger, you can't convince me that they could not have built over the Morosco and the Helen Hayes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:01 AM »

Here's some pictures from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, if anyone wants to click.  8)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v222/PutnamPlayhouse/Sound%20of%20Music%202006/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:58 AM »

Helen Hayes was destructed?

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2006, 07:35:28 AM »

Great photos JRand55! The costumes turned out very nicely!

I like the gal who plays Maria...there is something about her looks that make her a good fit for that role (of course she could be an evil beast for all I know! LOL!)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:43 AM »

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v222/PutnamPlayhouse/Sound%20of%20Music%202006/

Nice costumes!

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2006, 07:50:17 AM »

JRand55, I like the look of the gal who plays Maria...of course she might be some kind of evil beast for all I know, but to me she has a kind face.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm...  Too many sockets... Too many connections...  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2006, 07:59:20 AM »

Good morning!

It was warmish in my house when I woke up, but cooler outside, so I opened the doors and windows. Then, a rain storm came through that REALLY cooled things off. I hit the attic fan button and now the house is delightfully cool.

Of course, once the sun does come out, the outside will be like a sauna, but for now, it's the coolest it's been in over a week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »

JRand55, I like the look of the gal who plays Maria...of course she might be some kind of evil beast for all I know, but to me she has a kind face.

Thanks!  (and thanks DR TPUNK)....yup most of the costumes are very nice!  ;D

And to set your mind at ease, Amy Hayes who plays Maria (though a bit mature for the role) is a lovely woman, easy to work with and great fun.

Her husband Andrew is playing Capt Von Trapp and he is very good as well.  He is an acting teacher at DePauw university and also teaches stage combat.  He is a good singer and very nice to work with as well.  Hopefully we'll get some more photos.  ;D

Amy BTW is the daughter of Mr Bill Gaither who is a rather well known Gospel singer - or something.....   :D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:30 AM »

DR JRand--I like what I see!  

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2006, 08:03:04 AM »

Yes, I've had a hard time getting on the forum this morning, too. No problem loading and reading the notes, but I got that "socket" error first for awhile. Then, I got "Too many connections" error for awhile.

Irritating.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »

I predict a NYC visit from SWW and DerB in the near future:

The dog-centered musical Tails will hit the 45th Street Theater this summer. The show will begin performances on June 7.
Tails, featuring book and lyrics by Mark Masi and music by Jess Platt, tells the story of five dogs in a dog pound who wait and hope to be chosen for adoption. The dogs include Speagle, the love-smitten mutt; Sophie, the show dog; and a new puppy surrounded by mystery. The cast of Tails includes Bethe Austin, Miguel Cervantes, William Thomas Evans (The Scarlet Pimpernel), Gerry McIntyre (Once on this Island) and Tracey Stephens.

Tails was just seen in New York. A developmental workshop of the tuner played upstairs in a black box theater at the same 45th Street location it will inhabit from April 29 through May 14. This full commercial production, featuring a different cast, will play at the larger downstairs space.

Tails, directed and choreographed by Christopher Scott (resident director of AMAS Musical Theater), is scheduled to officially open on June 18.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »

As for the Disney-fication of Times Square...  It's not just Times Square...

Take Washington, DC: There's a Hard Rock Cafe on the same block as Ford's Theatre.  DC's Chinatown is now mainly composed of steakhouses, seafood joints, fast food counters and a 24 theatre Mega-Cine-Plex.  And a Target is going up in the middle of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood.  Even when I was walking around L.A. a few years ago, the number of national chains, both retail and restaurants, popping up in "Old Hollywood" was kind of staggering.  For better or worse, it's progress.

As for Times Square itself...  I seem to recall the whole "Disneyfication" starting before Disney even got there.  Again, for better or for worse...  Yes, I do miss some of the older buildings and landmarks, but I do not miss some of the eyesores, "overt" sex shops, and some of the denizens of those establishments.  *And I still remember sitting in the Port Authority Bus Terminal one night while waiting for a bus while watching the police and their dogs making clockwork drug busts every 30 minutes in the bathrooms.

Yes, I will miss Barrymore's, Puleo's, Puleo's Too, Sam's... But I don't blame Disney, I blame the building landlords who want to turn a quick buck.  Surely, none of those properties were true money-losing ventures at this point.  They could have said, "No."  At least I think  - and hope - that they could have.  *And I have to wonder how much power Starbucks now has in the whole scheme of things.

...And that's about all the words I can string together right now on this topic...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 09:03:57 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:

Dear BK, with all that is going on in the world, why is Katie Couric a major news story?

Because we live in a world where people like Katie Couric become celebrities in the first place.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2006, 09:05:42 AM »

I got thrown off the site even though my last post did load to the forum. Seems a little better now as far as opening up.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2006, 09:07:31 AM »

As I said last night, I have SHAFT loaded in the DVD player now. After I watch it, I'll out in another POIROT film - TAKEN AT THE FLOOD, another where I've read the book but too long ago to remember anything at all about it.

I also recorded BOSTON LEGAL last night, and since I didn't start watching regularly until very late in the season, it will be a new episode to me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:08:09 AM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2006, 09:09:37 AM »

About two months ago, I upgraded us to a new server with our host.  I was told there would be far less problems if I did it, and it's now costing almost double what I paid before.  And I think we've had more "too many connections" than ever, especially lately.  Maybe they're doing work, or maybe their server is being spammed and all their clients are having this problem, but they have no communication skills whatsoever and they never admit there's a problem.  Yesterday, when I wrote them, they wrote back a one line response - "loads fine for us".  Ten minutes later, I got a "too many connections" and I sent them that - never heard back, be ten seconds later everything worked fine.  I got up at eight-forty-five this morning, got the dreaded "too many connections" sent them an e saying that for double the cost this should not be happening.  Didn't hear back - but suddenly everything worked again.  A year ago, I talked to another host, but it was going to be so complex to move us that I didn't want to take the chance of something going wrong.  I may now start exploring those options again.  It wouldn't be bad if they'd admit their problems, but I really have no patience with people who don't know how to communicate.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:10:23 AM by bk »

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »

I'm meeting my friend Jeff at a Chinese restaurant for lunch, so I'd better prepare to leave so I can get there on time.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 09:15:39 AM »

I know it must be very frustrating for you, bk. I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to operate a business that works effeciently and to take care of problems with minimal fuss and bother to the customers as much as they can.

There should be no shame in admitting there are problems. I don't know of any business out there where problems don't exist.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 09:17:03 AM »

Good day one and all!! I hope you all have a nice day!!

Looking forward to the dvd...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2006, 09:26:15 AM »

Because we live in a world where people like Katie Couric become celebrities in the first place.

And I'll dare to further comment that it was, before Katie, Bryant Gumbel making the all-over-the-news, much-heralded, on-to-bigger-more-important-things move to CBS.

Yes...THE Bryant Gumbel....KING of NBC...and he dwindled down into a celebrity footnote because it was the "Today Show" formula that made him somebody.  Without it, his meager talents fell far too short.  

So long, Katie.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:28:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »

Again, I got too many connections.  I guess I'll call them.  The owner of this place is someone who has the attitude "if you don't like it go somewhere else" in other words, a loose cannon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up