Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIENDS  (Read 38124 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FRIENDS
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 07:44:21 AM »

I plan to watch that Bette Davis documentary STARDUST today at some point, and I think I'll be rewatching the WILL & GRACE finale, too, such to see if my initial impression of it was correct.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 07:46:48 AM »

Page Two WINNIE THE POOH Dance!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 07:48:19 AM »

Penny I am sorry to hear about your freind...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:04 AM »

I need to head out for a meeting for work over in Moorhead.

Hope to check in later. Have a good day...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:40 AM »

btw, saw bluejay outside of my window this morning...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 08:07:12 AM »

my advice is not to send the email.  I already know too much about this one you're dealing with because I, too, have known you for the past 12 years.  Some friendships are fluid and in flux, close and intense one day, then distant for long periods; it doesn't mean they're over, just no longer as important.  Feeling used and abused is one thing, feeling abandoned is another, and I'm not sure exactly whether either of thise applies.  I suggest space and time, which does not heal everything.  Form some new friendships and let the damaged one heal or die on its own.

Well spoken elmore.  Every relationship has its comings and goings and different people need different things at times.  I have friendships that have lasted nearly forty years, sometime we were on the phone 3 times a day and sometimes we spoke 3 times a year but I always know as do they, that if one of us calls the other would answer.

Unless this person has done something intentionally,  unforgivably cruel I would let things lie. Sometimes life just gets in the way of calling and being there, it doesn't mean the connection is any less strong.

Better a dormant friend than an active enemy.

And that's the end of my mommy speech for the day.

:-*

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 08:13:39 AM »

I'm going to sit ojn my side porch for a bit enjoying the cool air and reading. Then, I'll start preparing lunch.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  And have read all the advice thus far, which I know is sage and wise, not necessarily in that order.  I'm the type of person who likes to put periods at the ends of things.  I also am the type of person who likes to at least let people know that actions have results and why people feel the way they do.  I also know the person well enough that if I don't do something she will just continue to call at her own leisure when she feels like it and that will be very awkward, I think, because I just don't want to have that kind of nothingness.  So, I can ignore the calls, in which case she'll start asking what's going on (this is not the smartest cracker in the box), she'll finally need my advice or help, or I'll get a deal to do my play and then I'll have to let her know then that she will not be doing it.  So, I'm still in a quandry.  I suppose I don't have to send the e-mail today and I can just keep reading the advice here.  But I also don't want to "think" about this anymore, which I've been doing a lot.  Writing the e-mail was good, I agree.  So, keep posting your thoughts, especially about the above.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2006, 08:19:02 AM »

Alert the media.  Start spreadin' the news.  Tell your friends - Deceit, the DVD is now available for preorder at www.kritzerland.com!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »

I had a terrible dinner last night, no thanks to the waiter who brought dishes to the table seemingly when he felt like it...not when they were prepared.

The soup was sent back because it was tepid and should have been hot.

The main course was tasty once it was all laid out before me.  There was a filet cooked to perfection.  But some veggies arrived 5 minutes after the filet.  A potato, not quite fully baked, was placed on the table about 10 minutes in.

When I paid the bill, I left a note for the waiter saying that I appreciate the service waiters provide and suggested he find another line of work.

In the event, however, that he was in some kind of pain, I hoped the percocet I left him would suffice.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »

Friendship -- it's wonderful, it's challenging, and sometime it's depressing.

Since we're not naming names, I can only presume to know who BK is talking about.

And Bruce, you've gotten some good advice from Larry...and some good amens from Penny and Matt.

However, you must be true to yourself as well.  If you can heed their advice AND find a way to be comfortable about putting a period at the end of the sentence, that would be a good thing to do.  Sentences can be amended...periods can be turned into semi-colons...or commas... if something can be appended later on.

You might find it more satisfying later on to find this person  "wooing" you.  

Be cold.  Be remote.  

But when the time comes to explain why you're being that way, explain it to her.  Whatever her response/reaction, you will already be in a "safe" place.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:47:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 08:48:01 AM »

I do love this here site and its denizens.

We've had our first order for Deceit - and for three copies yet.  Only ninety-seven chances left for a signed copy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »

Can one of you computer people tell me why my printer is screwing up?  It's an Epson 4600 - I just put in a new black ink cartridge but it's not printing any black at all when I print out stuff.  How come?

FJL

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 09:00:21 AM »

Talking from my own experience, I can say that I've regretted the strongly worded letters and faxes that have gone out by my hand (a lot of them were before email became common, I've to SOME degree learned some lessons about putting extremely harsh thoughts in writing, I think) when I've been annoyed about something, mainly because those can be pulled out years later and looked at and copies can be passed around and shown to other people.  I'd assume the same is true of emails.  

I've rarely regretted a phone call or a phone message in terms of any negative feelings conveyed, though.  The written notes have found their way into the hands of other friends and business acquaintances, and have proven embarrassing in some situations when they're read by people whom I did not intend would read them.  

So i'm speaking practically when I say it's better to express displeasure verbally, if not for the impact on the person to whom it's directed, then for the impact on people who may end up with a copy of the latter, fax or email in their possession.  I've learned about this the hard way - a fax I sent in 1994 has come back to haunt me recently, not via the recipient, but from a comparatively new (and frankly important) acquaintance, who apparently saw a copy of it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »

I got a couple of DVDs in yesterday's mail.  One was actually a 5-movie pack -- the Cecil B. DeMille collection.  The other I watched last night.

This was the 1965 "Ten Little Indians" with Hugh O'Brian, Shirley Eaton, Leo Genn, Daliah Lavi (!). Wilfrid Hyde-White, Fabian and Stanley Holloway.

There were three other actors, of course, including Dennis Price...but much less well-known to me.

First, the good news is that the film is well-paced, appealingly cast and beautifully filmed.

Second, the bad news is that the musical underscore -- by Malcolm Lockyer -- is an appalling mess of mid-60s "pop" nonsense that spoiled many a film because producers wanted a "now" sound rather than something totally appropriate.

This film is scored like it's a comedy -- rather than the mystery that it is -- and it's annoying.  There are some good moments, of course, and it's entirely possible to sit through the film and enjoy it without cringing at the ghastly pseudo-Carnaby Street Beat that Lockyer imposes upon the proceedings.

I "thought" I had good memories of this film version of the Christie story (adequately updated for this film, but not improving upon what is terrific-as-it-is at all).

And this was okay entertainment that kept my attention up to 8 p.m. when the two-hour series closer of "Everwood" started.

And "Everwood" was SUPERB!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:04:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2006, 09:11:51 AM »

FJL - I know what you mean - and certainly now that I've written this thing, I could in fact do this via phone at some point and have it in front of me as a reference so I wouldn't forget anything.  I also went through it and made sure it was even-keeled, which it now is.  

Now, about my printer....

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

Re: your printer.  We have an Epson and it has a "help"  section that can be accessed by going through the control panel.  It could be that it hasn't "noticed" that you've reinstalled the ink cartridge and running it through the self check may help it figure it out.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:35:54 AM by vixmom »

BoreDetector

• You are a bore. Hi!
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2006, 09:32:16 AM »

"might of"

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2006, 09:36:53 AM »

Welcome, New Reader BoreDetector. You'll be very busy here if you are our official proofreader.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2006, 09:38:10 AM »

BK- It sort boils down to whether or not how important your friend's presence in your life is, and vice verse.  If you were good freinds and you really don't want to break off the friendship, then you should sit down and talk it out.  If your friend is too immature to do that, then that's when the friendship should be evaulated.  Rather than a "this  is the last communication...." email, just fade back into the distance and go on with your life.  They may come back someday, and if the friendship you share now is strong, it's possible you can get it back.

If it's a professional thing and they only come to you when they need something, then the next time they do that, you're too busy to help them.  They in turn will probably stop speaking to you and if that's the case, they weren't a good friend, then you can be sad and sit back and sigh.  But if they are a good friend, they'll be back.  Perhaps when some maturity sets in.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2006, 09:38:27 AM »

Dear BK,
Who is Anthony Cooper?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2006, 09:39:03 AM »

Bk, doesn't your friend read this here site?  Just because she doesn't post, it doesn't mean she doesn't lurk.  Perhaps she already knows what you have to say and that is why she's stayed away.

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2006, 09:44:07 AM »

Dear PennyO,  I am very sorry about your friend's illness.

~~~~~~~Vibes~~~~~  

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2006, 09:54:23 AM »

I don't know from printer problems but I did just order me a copy of DECEIT!  ;D

I also ask, who is Anthony Cooper? I don't recall you mentioning him as being in DECEIT.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2006, 10:18:19 AM »

No, she doesn't read the site, but if she for some reason did, then she'd call and say she had, that much I know.

Staples said the printer heads had probably gone bad.  Bought a new Epson, their latest version of the model I had.  With the rebate it was pretty cheap.  I've hooked it up and it's printing just fine.  I'd never seen the help center before and I probably should hook the old printer up again to see if there was anything that could have been helped.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »

Good Afternoon!

About to head out for the afternoon/day...  I'm gonna head into work with James and we're going to grab some lunch along the way.  And then I just plan to wander around for awhile - in the rain most likely.  I just don't want stay cooped up in my apartment like I did all day yesterday.  So...  Before I go...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »

I can't reveal who Anthony Cooper is as Deceit is dependent on its surprises.  Those who've seen Deceit know, but they'll keep mum on the subject.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »

bk - So you went out and bought a new printer in the meantime?  In any case...

Any time you install a new print cartridge in Epson printers, you need to run the Printer Set Up Utility so that it can re-calibrate the ink-level monitors, as well as clean the print heads.

Print heads do go bad after a while, and then you have to bite the financial bullet and buy a set of new print-heads - if that's an option for the printer.  -And, hopefully, the new print-heads won't cost as much as getting a new printer would.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:36 AM »

DR PennyO - Sorry to hear about your friend.  Would you like anything delivered to her?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »

Jose - Not sure if you saw it, but the Washington Post review of the Signature Theater's ASSASSINS is quite a rave.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up