Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CROOKEDBACKWARD QUESTION  (Read 29024 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CROOKEDBACKWARD QUESTION
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

Apologies to all, but I love THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH; I've never found Tom Ewell anything but rather peculiar looking.  I also adore Patti Lupone, who was wonderful in EVITA, miscast in ANYTHING GOES, fantastic in CAN-CAN and everything else I've seen her do.  I can't stand the generally inept, constantly overrated and undervoiced, Bernadette Peters, from whom I've seen one good performance in 20 years (SUNDAY IN THE PARK).

I've just returned from the Series C evening of one-acts at the Ensemble Studio Theatre Marathon 2006. The last one-act on the program was a 15-minute musical, THE BUS TO BUENOS AIRES, by Curtis Moore and Thomas Mizer. I found it a beautiful, poetic piece for 3 women, one man, and a guitarist. The cast was quite good: the man was played by Sebastian LaCause, and the three ladies, all with lovely voices, sang in beautiful harmony. The guitarist memorized the score and his wonderful playing fit the piece beautifully.

The other four one-acts ran from good to dreadful, but there were familiar faces  on and offstage:
  My friend Lou Jacob directed a too-long, too-wordy, too-actory piece with two wonderful actors who deserved better.
  Actor Andrew McCarthy directed an absurdist piece "The Night That Roger Went to Visit the Parents of an Old High School Girlfriend," which featured actor Daniel Geroll, whose work I've always liked.
  Will Janowitz, who plays Finn (Meadow's boyfriend) on THE SOPRANOS, was in a strange comedy "Lila On the Wall."

It was an interesting evening, overall, but THE BUS TO BUENOS AIRES was the best of the lot.   If you'd like to hear some of my friends' work, here is the website:

http://www.trickybox.com/weblog/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2006, 08:20:43 PM »

Finished HELLO, DOLLY! Over the years, I've kind of warmed to Barbra Streisand in the film. I still can't stand Michael Crawford in it, and feel he ruins the whole thing. He and Marianne McAndrew make the most ridiculous couple ever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »

I put in THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH which is probably as good as the film can look now. The Restoration Comparison special feature detailed that ITCH was in the worst shape of any of the films in the Marilyn Diamond Collection #1 boxed set. Certainly there were moments when the film seemed softer than other scenes. I'm guessing this was the reel that was so damaged.

I also watched the AMC Backstory which detailed the toning down of the source material due to the Breen Office, and the end of Marilyn's marriage to Joe Dimaggio which was going on during the filming of the movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

Tom Ewell has never been a favorite of mine, but I'm amazed he scored a 7 year Fox contract when he signed to do this film. I would have thought his screen presence would have been too limiting to see him be able o work that much, but I guess Fox managed to find projects to put him in during those 7 years.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »

Gregg Henry was one of the most frequent guests on MURDER SHE WROTE. He must have had a great friend in Angela Lansbury to keep coming back year after year, sometimes as a suspect, sometimes as the killer, and sometimes as the victim.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »

Ended the evening watching a new episode of THE EVIDENCE, this time involving a bottle of wine stolen from a rare wine vault. As usual, an interesting episode with good byplay between Orlando Jones and Rob Estes.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2006, 08:51:28 PM »

Will be seeing two musicals tomorrow on the opposite sides of the spectrum. Of course, I'm most lookig forward to THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA which I'll see at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon.

The other musical comes on TCM tmorrow morning - THE KISSING BANDIT. One of the most infamous bad musicals ever made, I've never seen the whole movie (just the "Dance of Fury" excerpted in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III), so my interest is definitely heightened by the opportunity to finally see this film.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »

Heading off to bed now.

Good night, all!

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »

Hello all, I am actually very excited that I get to go back to work on Monday.  (Notice I said "get" to go back instead of "have" to go back)  I have an idea that would make things much better for me and would mean that I would put plans to leave on the shelf.  Hopefully my boss agrees that it's a good idea. I should find out Monday

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »

most of my TOD have already been mentioned.

FJL

« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2006, 09:57:34 PM »

Back from the PAJAMA GAME final perfromance.  The seats, while all the way to the audience left side, turned out to be quite excellent, with the only missed moment being when Mr. Connick was standing all the way stage right during the Act II duet reprise of "Hey There."  

After the show, to benefit Hurricane Katrina and other charities, Mr. Connick auctioned off dinner with himself and got I think $30,000 for that.

Got to see my former boss Tom Bissell, son of PAJAMA GAME co-author Richard Bissell, before the show after not having seen Tom in over ten years (although we've emailed and spoken quite a few times).  Lovely seeing him again, and he seemed surprised that I was seeing the show again and that my friend Julie was actually seeing the show a third time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:59:15 PM by FJL »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2006, 10:52:03 PM »

DakotaCelt: Eric Braedon's real name is Hans Gudegast, and that is how he is credited in films prior to Colossus: The Forbin Project.

I could not remember the last name!! THanks!!

I remember him in Rat Patrol.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2006, 10:53:25 PM »

BK, I think bringing back the Unseemly Trivia Contest is a great idea!  Of course, I've only ever been able to answer maybe one or two questions, but it's fun trying to find the answers...and completely frustrating, but in a good way. ;D

Now that would be fun... I will most definitely have to brush up!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Well.. Since I did not end up taking a nap this past afternoon... And since I've been up since 6:25am this morning...  Here's the "list" as it were...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2006, 11:08:01 PM »

My friend, Jeff, and I ended up heading out to a great Indian place on the East Side called "Chola".  The food was quite excellent, and the portions were very generous.  So generous, in fact, that neither of us could finish our entrees.  We ordered one of their appetizer assortment platters, and when it came to the table we both went into a sort of shock.  The platter was brimming with goodies: iddly, pakora, samosas, kulcha, etc., etc., etc.  Very, very tasty.  And then came our entrees, both of which were served in deceptively big bowls.  I had some special spicy lamb dish, and Jeff ordered a wonderful chicken in a mango curry sauce.  Again, truly wonderful food.  And the accompanying sauces and chutneys, breads, papad and rice were all thoughtfully prepared and not treated like mere accompaniments.

We were so full that we both just opted for some chai tea for dessert.

I will most definitely be making a return trip or two there in the near future.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2006, 11:12:15 PM »

OH!...

The menu at Chola had a most interesting layout.  On one side of the page there was the listing of the food.  On the other side was a picture and then a small paragraph about Indian culture - and those that were influenced by Indian religious practices.  Thus, right below the picture of Ravi Shankar, was a picture of the Beatles.

:)

Additionally, besides the usual markings for "spicy", and "very spicy", there were dishes marked, "Must Try".  And then there were dishes marked, "Martha Stewart's Favorite".  -Ah! That's right - the chef from Chola has appeared on Martha Stewart's cooking show a couple of times.  So...

Jeff and I started joking... "Should we have a whole meal of "Must Try's"? or should we have a whole meal of "Martha Stewart's Favorites"?"

;)

....I guess you had to be there.   ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »

Then after dinner, Jeff headed back to Brooklyn, and I headed over the Apple store - it is open 24 hours, ya' know - to buy some software I've been looking at the past couple of weeks.  Then I met James, and we walked around for a bit before heading back uptown.

-And, boy, did the humidity set in as the sun went down.  It's a bit sticky outside right now.  -And, of course, it's probably a good indicator of how it's going to be tomorrow/later today... Ah, summertime, summertime, sum-, sum-, summertime....
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2006, 11:22:16 PM »

favorite actors...

Fred MacMurray -- Double Indemnity [eagerly hoping that the new release will be a clearer transfer]

Jeff Bridges - Starman

Christopher Reeve - Somewhere in Time {loved this movie untll the VCR got hungry!}

Marlon Brando - Streetcar named Desire

Richard DReyfuss - American Graffitti

Liam Neeson - Michael Collins / Ethan Frome

Sidney Poitier  - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Separate but Equal

Jimmy STewart - Rear Window

Cary Grant - Vertigo

Clark Gable - Gone with the Wind

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »

DR MBarnum - Is there another movie called "Water" out right now? The one I'm familiar is sort of controversial since it deals with certain cultural practices in India, in particular the Hindu religion.  The movie is based on events taking placing during India's Colonial period.  In fact, the filmmaker, Deepa Mehta, met with strong(!) opposition - death threats - in trying to get this film made.

Yes, John Abraham, is in the movie, but I do not believe it is a  Bollywood movie.  There are songs by A. R. Rahman in the movie, but they are supposedly in the background and not "performed".  For more info, here's the website for the movie:

http://water.mahiram.com/

There is info on the Production page, and lots of links to various articled on the Press page.  The whole story of how the movie eventually got made is quite a good read.  A bit scary, but good.

*The movie is currently showing here in New York City at the Paris which is behind The Plaza, and I may be seeing it this week myself.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »

OK.. I've been up for 20 hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »

A neighbor is blasting Billy Joel music. I'm not a fan, as those who know me can attest. And yet, I find it more odd than annoying that someone would choose to blast "Keeping the Faith" and "An Innocent Man." Beats reggaeton, I guess.

You could always confiscate it...

I like Billy Joel

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

OK.. I've been up for 20 hours...

Goodnight.

Pleasant dreams Jose!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2006, 11:32:46 PM »

Back from a long musical entitled Little Egypt, about which more later.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2006, 11:37:47 PM »

That's where my pal Penny Peyser and Gregg met - on Rich Man, Poor Man - she was a regular, as was her then-husband James Carroll Jordan.

Only twenty-five copies of the signed Deceit left.

I posted more notes...

The graphic is on two sites promoting it and we have be emailing, posting and posting again like mad...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2006, 11:42:29 PM »

Sometimes it happens. Side topic: Movies you've fallen asleep during at the movie theater (as an adult, let's say. Napping at the drive-in during BAMBI doesn't count).

Me:
BABE, the pig movie
12 MONKEYS

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2006, 11:53:19 PM »

I finshed that Hollywood Screen Test disc this morning. Interesting that JoAnne Worley and Peg Murray tested for Ernestina Semple in HELLO DOLLY, and Sandy Duncan tested for Minnie Faye, also. Ron Rifkin tested for Ambrose, too. I might have picked Sandy over E.J. Peaker as Minnie Faye. In the other cases, I think the folks they went with for those film roles were appropriate.

Does anyone know who sang for Irene Malloy?  It most definitely is not the voice of the actress who acted the part, but I've never been able to find out who it was. :-\

Someone on IMDb.com's message board wrote "I once read that she was dubbed by different people on different songs."  Any info??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2006, 11:54:27 PM »

TOTD

You're gonna laugh but

I was very impressed by Christian Bale in EMPIRE OF THE SUN and

Christian Bale in "The Machinist."  Other TOTD performances (most have already been mentioned):

Robert Duvall - Tender Mercies
Laurence Harvey - The Manchurian Candidate
Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own and Philadelphia
Rex Harrison - My Fair Lady
Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie
Jack Lemmon - Some Light It Hot
William H. Macy- Fargo
Ryan O'Neal - What's Up Doc?
Gregory Peck - To Kill A Mocking Bird
James Stewart - It's a Wonderful Life
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »

favorite actors...

Fred MacMurray -- Double Indemnity [eagerly hoping that the new release will be a clearer transfer]

Jeff Bridges - Starman

Christopher Reeve - Somewhere in Time {loved this movie untll the VCR got hungry!}

Marlon Brando - Streetcar named Desire

Richard DReyfuss - American Graffitti

Liam Neeson - Michael Collins / Ethan Frome

Sidney Poitier  - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Separate but Equal

Jimmy STewart - Rear Window

Cary Grant Jimmy Stewart - Vertigo

Clark Gable - Gone with the Wind

Shhh, it was Stewart, not Grant.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »

I know it's so close to the new topic, but I literally can't keep my eyes open.  The choral concert was not bad...not great, but not bad.  It was all Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff, but nothing really new.  Most of the arrangements sounded like the choral arrangements that high school choirs use.

Otherwise, I'm very tired and must get to bed before I fall asleep and bonk my head on my computer desk. :o That wouldn't be a good thing. ;)

So, good night, all!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up