Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FATHER'S DAY  (Read 16727 times)

Ginny

Re:FATHER'S DAY
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »

Father's Day greetings!  We've had a busy day, attending church in Cincinnati, picking up the 3 "elders" (my mother, my mother-in-law, my aunt) and bringing them home for Father's Day steak dinner.  Before we left, I put green beans & ham in the crock pot and put potatoes in the oven, which was set to come on and bake them.  When we all arrived home, we broiled lovely filets mignon.  Couple of bottles of Gewertztraminer and assorted mini Dove bars rounded out the meal.  DS Richard was duly feted and the old ladies enjoyed being out of their retirement communities for a while.

DR Elmore - my thoughts and prayers are with your family.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2006, 03:22:12 PM »

Even though I started page 3, please don't make me dance.  I'm too tired!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

Shortly we shall be leaving to celebrate a birthday with six-year-old twins. Mom said they had too many toys already, so our birthday gift to them will be an empty box.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:26:42 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »

Spent a really full afternoon of video viewing.

I began with THE KSSING BANDIT. I can see why the film bombed. Frank Sinatra often played an insecure man with the ladies in his MGM musicals (how ironic knowing about his private life as we do), but he's just a fool in this. Most of the music isn't memorable (Nacio Herb Brown wrote the song score), and he and Kathryn Grayson never paired felicitously in the movies and certainly not here. It was nice to see Clint Sundberg have a larger part than usual. Mildred Natwick was totally wasted as Kathryn's aunt.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »

Next came THE BROKEN HEART'S CLUB. I was in the mood for an overtly gay film, and as I hadn't watched this in some time, I put it on. Many of these guys went on to mainstream success on TV and in films.

Enjoyed seeing it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2006, 04:23:15 PM »

The other night as I was scaning through channels, I ran across DE-LOVELY on Showtime-HD. I didn't stay to watch as it's a pretty bad movie, but with an hour to kill before THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA came on this afternoon, I put in the DVD and started watching it again.

MGM usually manages to bungle their DVDs in some way, but how funny that in the case of this turkey of a movie, they gave it a STERLING transfer onto DVD. Grand clarity and sound. It figures.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2006, 04:26:53 PM »

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA was a lovely afternoon in the theater. While I like the music, much of it doesn't soar for me. Still, it's certainly lovely enough in spots to suffice, and the cast and production were aces.

And THANK YOU to PBS for photographing it in widescreen. It gave a much more theatrical feel to viewing with seeing more of the stage as things happened.

Also quite enjoyed the intermission interviews and backstage features, too.

Good job! I wish more Broadway shows could come to us in this way.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »

DR Elmore, keeping good thoughts for you and yours during this really trying time.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2006, 04:40:23 PM »

Now, I'm off to see what HBO has to offer tonight (DEADWOOD and ENTOURAGE).

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »

...Mildred Natwick was totally wasted as Kathryn's aunt.
Mildred Natwick played a drunk???   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2006, 04:47:54 PM »

Right now, der B is watching Clear and Present Danger, based on the Clancy novel.  I'm not paying attention to the film, but James Horner's score sure is bombastic.

Or maybe that's just the sound effects.  There's lots of gunfire, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2006, 04:48:57 PM »

For those interested in such things:

Southern Hibearnation starts in Melbourne this week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »

The unbearable likeness of being me:

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »

In Oz Fathers' Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in September.

Good wishes to all those who are "fathers".

I wonder if MBarnum's computer has been used by his "children".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »

My listening for today is some time soapie star "Ketty Lester". Her 1962 version of "Love Letters" is a classic.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:58:18 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »

In honour of the day I should be playing Eddie Fisher's "Oh My Papa" or "Daddy" by Pebbles and Bambam; or perhaps "My Dad" by Paul Petersen.
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »

Tom, you look charming!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »

I am charming. LOL
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »

The Bears have more charm!
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »

Those are adoreable Tom...

I am trying to work up bravery to post an older picture I have of me. I do not have a recent one... I just dont want to scare anyone...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:18:26 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2006, 05:18:01 PM »

Great photos from Oz!

I just finished the last of the wine and watched a couple of Boston Legal episodes.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »

I have never seen Boston Legal

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2006, 05:20:04 PM »

The photos are of course old. They are from yesterday.  Then again - that's today so they must be recent!
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2006, 05:21:45 PM »

Very true. i think the most recent I have of me is from 2003

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2006, 05:22:13 PM »

I have never seen Boston Legal

My DH and I got into it about halfway through the second season; now we're filling in the first season by getting the episodes from Netflix.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

"Dove" has always had an image problem here in OZ DR Ginny.  It's also a brand of "soap".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »

"Dove" has always had an image problem here in OZ DR Ginny.  It's also a brand of "soap".

It is here, too, DR Tomovoz, but has never prevented this family from greatly enjoying the chocolates and ice cream confections!

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »

I think "Dove" has had about as much success as "Whitmans" in breaking into the Oz Choc. market.

Very little chance.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »

Trivia:  44 years ago I went to see a North Dakota lad in concert  here in Melbourne.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »

Mega-vibes to Elmore's father. And Elmore too!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up