Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG  (Read 23166 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:11:57 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have rolled along merrily like old man river, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're merrily rollin' along right now and can't be bothered to come home.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:16:39 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: SYNECDOCHE!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:33:54 AM »

Topic of the Day:  Donuts (or doughnuts)...any and all. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:42:01 AM »

SYNECDOCHE (noun):  a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships), the whole for a part (as society for high society), the species for the genus (as cutthroat for assassin), the genus for the species (as a creature for a man), or the name of the material for the thing made (as boards for stage)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:45:12 AM »

Good Morning!

Like DR George - As for the Topic of the Day... I really don't think I've met a donut (or doughnut) I didn't like... Or at least break in half and eat half of... And then come back a few minutes later and eat the other half.

;)

Otherwise, I really do enjoy the donuts from the Donut Plant here in NYC.  -It was one of the first stops on the HHW Eating and Walking Tour.

Krispy Kremes are good when you really, really want them.  -And just ok-good, when you just want some fried, sweetened dough.

I grew up with Dunkin' Donuts as well as a local chain called Pam E. K.'s.  Those were some good donuts, and my favorite was a cherry-coconut one they had.

And there's the Apple House Apple Donuts off of I-66 between DC and Winchester, VA.  You buy them by the bag... And by the time the bag has reached your car, it's already soaked through with the frying oil.  But once you reach into that bag and pulled out those cake donuts made with applesauce and then doused in cinnamon sugar.... Hmm, hmmm good!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 12:46:50 AM »

And on that note... High A-flat... And since I have a conference call in six hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »

And on that note... High A-flat... And since I have a conference call in six hours...

Goodnight.

Well, I don't have a conference call, but I have to get up early, also.  Good night Jose. :)

George

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 12:56:12 AM »

Well, I don't have a conference call, but I have to get up early, also.  Good night Jose. :)

Okay, this is a little off.  This post that I'm quoting above, was posted at 12:51:46am (HHW time), but according to The Official U.S. Time, I actually posted it right about 12:45:03a.m. (the U.S. Time website shows it as 00:45:03, though)!  That's almost a seven minute difference.  Very strange. :-\ And I'm posting THIS post at...12:49:30a.m. (00:49:30a.m.).

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:57:52 AM by George »

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:08:10 AM »

Krispy Kreme or watever it is called opens at our local shopping centre in 4 days time.  I think there are only a few in Australia.

IMHO  - too many.  We could have done with out the McD etc too.  I'm old fashioned enough to not want too much Americanisation of the planet.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:19:20 AM »

SYNECDOCHE (noun):  a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships), the whole for a part (as society for high society), the species for the genus (as cutthroat for assassin), the genus for the species (as a creature for a man), or the name of the material for the thing made (as boards for stage)

So, SYNECDOCHE is basically to words what FRACTAL is to geometry.

FRACTAL (noun): A geometric pattern that is repeated at ever smaller scales to produce irregular shapes and surfaces that cannot be represented by classical geometry. Fractals are used especially in computer modeling of irregular patterns and structures in nature.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 03:22:27 AM »

All time is relative, George.

Not that all relatives should be timed, of course, but I've a few who could use a cut-off when they visit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:40:37 AM »

The bakery at the store where I work has, at long last, regained their ground re doughnuts.

Several years ago, the bakery department made their own doughnuts.  They were very popular.  Then someone at the corporate level decided it would be cheaper to sell Krispy Kreme doughnuts instead of our own.  Since Krispy Kreme doughnuts were so popular at the time, it seemed like a no-brainer.

Ever notice how ideas that seem like no-brainers often end up ideas that have no brains involved?

Krispy Kreme over-extended themselves as a purveyor of doughnuts, and the whole mistique of doughnuts that really were freshly made wasn't there when a customer bought a box at the supermarket.  Doughnut sales went down.

So we stopped selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts at our bakery department.  The Krispy Kremes were relocated to the dairy aisle, right next to the Entenmann's.  (I'm still unsure of why they are in the dairy aisle.  All this took place before I started work at the store.)

But, instead of the bakery being allowed to resume doughnut production, either the same brilliant corporate guy or someone else trying to prove their brilliance decided our stores should next out-source our doughnuts, and a regional bakery started shipping their doughnuts to us.

Their doughnuts, having been shipped to us, weren't particularly fresh.  And sometimes the delivery was late, leaving our "I've-got-to-have-my-morning-doughnut-or-die" customers... well, dying.

It's only been in the last couple of months that we've regained doughnut production at the store.  

Our customers have noticed the difference.  The doughnuts are fresher.  They're tastier.  They're BIGGER!

They, the customers, are happier.

We, at the store, are waiting for the next change someone at the corporate level will decide is a brilliant idea.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 04:02:28 AM »

Again my thanks to the viewers of "Six Foot Under" .
How wonderful to see a final episode of a series that stayed with its characters and was not a "cop out" in any way. The final show aired here last night. A high point in American TV writing.

Good news today (hopefully not a rumour) that finance has been found for a third sereis of "Carnivale"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 04:14:43 AM »

Good Morning DR Larry.  The best of all "vibes" for you and your family at this this time.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 04:26:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  And hello, DR Tomovoz!  I second your motion to stop the Americanization of the Planet.  I believe this country's superior attitude of we're-the-best-goddammit! has gotten us into too much trouble all over ther globe, and spreading high-caloric foodstuffs is one more example.  I personally want to try the cuisine of the country I'm visiting over the ubiquitous MacDonald's.  Of couse, the one country exempted in England whose cuisine can only be improved.

Today's a busy day:  edits with Mr Murray before he heads off to England or Chicago, a trip to my financial consultant, booking a ticket to Ohio, and whatever frustration and humiliation the universe decides to dump on me today.

Milton's Donuts in my hometown:  I never liked their gooey, caramelly, jelly-slathered pastries and donuts (others do), but their cinnamin twists are a work of art.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 04:30:01 AM »

I had a phone call from Derek's sister Maureen today, followed by this email. I'm sure she would like me to share it.

Derek's birthday was July 19th and the "memorial" should be installed at about that date.

Hello everyone

I just felt I had to pass the following on to you all.  I wanted to do
something symbolic in memory of Derek and my thoughts obviously turned to
the theatre - surprise, surprise!!  I contacted a lady (Lou Cox - Marketing
Manager) at our lovely Theatre Royal in Hobart to enquire about having a
plaque with Dereks name placed on one of the seats in the theatre.  There
are many of these currently in place - some dedicated to an individual, some
to families etc.   I thought this would be an appropriate 'memorial' - apart
from his obvious love of the Arts, he also worked there a few years ago, so
it seemed an obvious choice.  

My enquiry, I'm glad to say has born fruit....and then some.  Derek would
often ring us to say he had booked tickets for the family to some show or
other - regardless if we wanted to go or not!! - and he would always book
4TH or 5TH ROW FROM THE STAGE - he reckoned that was the only place in the
theatre to sit.  Lou phoned me back to say she had organised the seat and
although she had no prior knowledge of Dereks seating preference, the one
that will bear Dereks name is F14 - 5TH ROW FROM THE STAGE!!!!  And to top
it off - he is sitting right next to DAME NELLY MELBA - SEAT F13 - can you
believe that!!.  I'm sure this was meant to be - either that or he's
watching and organised the whole thing - which wouldn't surprise me!.  I
just don't know whether to laugh or cry so I think I'll do a bit of both
over a glass or two of wine.  

I'm sure you will all be as thrilled as I am about this.  My little brother
has one of the best seats in the house - he'll now be able to watch every
performance - although I can picture the look he would give to any shows
that don't meet with his approval.  

Heres to my little brother - a standing ovation!

Love to all

James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »

Good day one and all!!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »

Lovely tribute Tom, for him. It is lovely way to honor his love of the arts.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 05:11:37 AM »

I must be an odd American for I am not a fan of fast food joints. The smell in McDonald's makes me ill.

Also something I saw at McDonalds one time really bothered me and turned off from them completely. One of the workers dropped meat on the floor not far from a guy spraying for insects. The worker picked up the meat, put it on the grill to finish cooking and preceeded to serve it to a customer. I was sick.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 05:15:57 AM »

TOTD:

Donuts and pastries....

Not a huge fan of them... But i do like kolaches, bagels, scones (especially peach and choco chip ones), euclairs.

I love cinnamon rolls when made well.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 05:16:57 AM »

All time is relative, George.

Not that all relatives should be timed, of course, but I've a few who could use a cut-off when they visit.

True SWW, then there are times you wish you had more time!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 05:29:01 AM »

That was lovely, Tomovoz. Thanks for sharing that with us.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 05:30:46 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »

One of the ladies in my congregation is participating in a women's air race that takes off in a couple of hours. So I am off the the airport to cheer her on.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 05:43:54 AM »

Very cool memorial for OzDerek!  I'm sure that he and Dame Nelly Melba will get along famously. :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 05:48:50 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

For the past few years, my mother has been desperately trying to grow sunflowers in her backyard but has had no luck in raising any.  Ironic, because in South Jersey, sunflowers are almost considered a weed--often spotted in vacant lots and neglected fields.  But in Mom's backyard, nothing doing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 05:58:17 AM »

I was back yesterday and now I'm back in the office with two days worth of work.

I have to go to the Credit Union at lunch and I have a large print out on my desk so there won't be much posting (unless I can sneak away) for the time being.

Suffice it to say that Roanoke was great fun. I saw the show three times (Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon) so I know B&TB better than most people. It's a small world in the theatre yet again. We were at dinner at El Rodeo on Sunday and Anthony was talking about last year's Forum cast and how they are different from this year's Beauty cast. He mentioned the ever present Nick Dalton (friend and former roomie of Jose) and lo and behold someone in the ensemble who is from North Carolina knows him very well. And that's why I love Theatre!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 06:06:25 AM »

TOD:

I'm not exactly a donut connoisseur.  If I buy small treats at a good bakery I usually go with tarts or mini tortes.  So my taste in donuts usually runs to Dunkin' Donuts level.  I prefer their chocolate cream,  apple and spice and manager specials.

As for store bought, I like Entermanns' chocolate covered donuts (refrigerator cold.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  It took great restraint not to stop on my way to work for a doughnut (yes, I peeked in and read without logging on).

Sorry I wussbergered last night.  We were having those "the sky is falling" thunderstorm predictions so I disconnected the computer and went to bed.  Never stormed, as far as I could tell  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:12 AM »

Milton's Donuts in my hometown:  I never liked their gooey, caramelly, jelly-slathered pastries and donuts (others do), but their cinnamin twists are a work of art.

And, DR Elmore, don't forget Central Pastry's fried Danish, a melt-in-your-mouth confection of a doughnut!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up