Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG  (Read 23180 times)

Cillaliz

Re:MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 06:54:46 AM »

Good morning all.  My investigator just went out to get us bagels...now I'm wishing he was getting doughnuts instead.  

When I was in college, there was a palce called Joe's Bakery that opened at midnight to sell doughnuts that were fresh from the cooker.  I don't know that there was anything that special about them other than they were soooo fresh. We all made an almost nightly Joe's run and the line would be a block long.

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 06:55:03 AM »

Wow! Page 2 Doughnut dance

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 06:56:28 AM »

Better get back to work. Now I have visions of Joe's doughnuts, Doughnut Planet doughnuts and oh just a beautiful chocolate eclair dancing in my head....this bagel isn't going to cut it

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »

All the thunderstorms were at my house.  The sky kept lighting up and the thunder rattled the windows

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 07:21:14 AM »

Krispy Kreme opned several shops on Long Island two years ago with great fanfare and generated huge lines....

They closed the last shop  on Long Island on April 30, 2006.

I did love their just made  still hot and dripping glazed donuts...  

Dunkin' Donuts which has resided in the same spot on our main drag for the past 40 years makes a delish butternut cake donut that I love

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:22 AM »

Hollywood director, Vincent Sherman, has died at 99.  Sherman..a contract director at Warner Bros. during the golden years...directed several well-known films like The Adventures of Don Juan, Mr. Skeffington, Old Acquaintance, The Young Philadelphians, and what has become regarded as a minor classic over the last few years, THE HARD WAY, with Ida Lupino. He had affairs with legendary actresses Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and also have worked as an actor with John Barrymore in Counsellor-at-Law.  I was fortunate to know Mr. Sherman ever-so-slightly, seeing him at the Ray Courts show and have corresponded with him and spoken on the telephone with him (which led to an inivitation to cocktails at his place that, through a chain of circumstances too long to relate here, never alas happened).  But everytime I saw him, he was cordial and courtly, sharp as a tack and a great raconteur...and he was then well into his nineties, though he looked years younger, always impeccably dressed, aristocratically handsome with genteel Southern manners and graciousness.  He also wrote a smart and honest biography, Studio Affairs.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 07:34:31 AM »

There used to be a donut shop in Lexington, fairly close to the University of Kentucky, called Tastee-O's that was open 24 hrs.  I don't remember the donuts as being better or worse than any others, but they certainly seemed that way when you were getting them fresh and hot at three o'clock in the morning.  It, like many classic landmarks of my youth, is now alas gone.

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 07:34:36 AM »

Dear Elmore,

I am glad you are going to spend time with your Dad.    My prayers and those of my congregation continue for you and yours.

and of course

~~~~MUCH VIBAGE~~~~~[/color]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »

Sad to hear about Mr Vincent, DR CP.  His interviews on the TCM "breaks" are always interesting....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 07:35:51 AM »

Sending MORE good thoughts and vibes to DR ELMORE & family.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 07:37:47 AM »

Loved the pet pics from DR MBARNUM yesterday....

DR VIXMOM is on the move....congratulations are in order, I bet!

DR CILLA LIZ is back to work - and sort of has a new cat!

News is busting out all over here at HHW....and MR BK is jogging an EXTRA few blocks....whew!

An airplane race?  I remember a movie about a women's powder puff derby...and I think Joan Davis was one of the contenders....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »

Childrens' Workshop on theatre traditions went well yesterday.  Ended the session by welcoming them to the stage and playing "There's No Business Like Show Business" and telling them about their new "anthem."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2006, 07:39:43 AM »

Act One runthru was about 55 minutes....and five of 9 people were ALMOST off book!

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2006, 07:41:26 AM »

Today is '50's & '60's Day in our Audio Visual Department.  Here's the Trivia Quiz:

1. What 1959 motion picture holds the record for the most Academy Awards and how many awards did it receive?

2. a. What was the real name of The Big Bopper?  b. What other recording artists were on the plane with him when it crashed in 1959?  c. Who gave up his seat to The Big Bopper and was not on the plane that night?
a.
b.
c.

3. What two (2) Elvis songs were his biggest hits in 1956?

4. What date did Michael J. Fox’s character travel back to in Back to the Future and Back to the Future II?

5. In the song “Wake Up Little Susie”, what time did she finally wake up?

6. What young actor of the 1950s died in a car crash with only three motion pictures credited to him?

7. This actress received her first Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role in 1955. Who was she and what is the name of the film?

8. The robot Gort debuted in what movie and in what year?

9. A Crosley automobile with a steering wheel on the right side became the first such vehicle placed in service for mail delivery in 1951 in what city?

10. What was the Federal minimum wage raised to in 1956?

11. American Bandstand went “national” in what year?

12. Sidney Poitier received his first Oscar nomination for what film and when was this film made?

BONUS: For those who were really a part of the 50s and 60s-- Where were you when you heard President Kennedy had been shot?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2006, 07:44:13 AM »

WE dont have Dunkin' Donuts here in North Dakota. Fargo does have a Krispy Kreme. Not impressed with it.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006, 07:45:17 AM »

Good morning!

Warmer than the last few days, and I'm sure the A/C will be turned on today. Still, not too shabby being able to wait until June 20th to turn on the A/C for the summer. Last year, it had to come on in early May.

If we get the thundershowers in the forecast, it may cool us off enough to turn off the A/C, but I'll go ahead and turn it on when I go back downstairs and turn it off if I need to.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2006, 07:47:32 AM »

Tomovoz, that sounds like a lovely and fitting tribute to OzDerek.  Thank you for sharing with us.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »

I read about Vincent Sherman's death when I logged onto the internet this morning. I find a lot of his films very entertaining. Thankfully, Warners has interviewed him about many of his films so the interviews and commentaries can be inserted into DVDs when they're finally released.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 07:50:19 AM »

Ech, I am just back from the gym and it is miserably hot and sticky.  I'm going to hop in the shower to see if that helps cool things off.  But after reading this morning's posts, all I really want is a donut.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2006, 07:51:33 AM »

DR Ginny should we respond on line by email?!

BONUS:  I was in my living room.. My mom told me.  Iwas 6.

I rememrb vividly watching the TV  with my whole family gathered around and both my parents crying.

I asked why there were no cartoons on and my Daddy told me that it was because  in cartoons the characters like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck and the Coyote from the Roadrunner cartoons, get hit with hammers and anvils and shot with shotguns and dynamite  but no one ever gets hurt.  But in real life things don't work that way.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 07:52:47 AM »

I grew up with Krispy Kreme doughnuts, so they will always have a special place in my heart. I know they don't appeal to a lot of people, but I love them.

I don't much care for the cake doughnuts with powdered sugar on them, but just about any other kind will find me a pure glutton.

I've told this story before, but back when I was in high school and on the swim team, we would head uptown after practice every day to the local bakery that made a confection called Creme Horns. They were a flakey pastry stuffed with whipped cream, and it made all those laps worth it to get one as a treat each day after practice.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 07:55:16 AM »

Definitely putting in the DVD of THE DOLLY SISTERS today for viewing.

With only RESCUE ME tonight as TV viewing bait, I'll be DVDing and DVRing it most of the evening. I would like to watch NIGHT OF THE IGUANA and get it cleared off the DVR.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

Oh!!   I had forgotten about the donuts from some of the new in-store bakeries at Safeway!  -At least in the DC Metro area.  Those are some very good donuts!  And you get a Baker's Dozen for about half the price of a dozen Krispy Kremes.  The apple fritters are my favorite.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 07:59:13 AM »

DR Tomovoz - Thank you for sharing that letter from Derek's sister with us.  A beautiful tribute for a beautiful person.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 07:59:14 AM »

Of couse, the one country exempted in England whose cuisine can only be improved.

And the cuisine of Australia is....?

;)

...ostrich burgers and kangaroo sausages?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:44:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »

I like all kinds of donuts, but prefer the more cake-y kind.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2006, 07:59:57 AM »

Yeah, "air race"? What's that all about?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »

Today is '50's & '60's Day in our Audio Visual Department.  Here's the Trivia Quiz:

1. What 1959 motion picture holds the record for the most Academy Awards and how many awards did it receive?

"Ben-Hur" -- won 11 Oscars (out of 12 nominations)...tied with "Titanic" which won 11 Oscars out of 14 nominations (which was a tie with "All About Eve" for most nominations)...and tied with "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" (11 wins out of 11 nominations...the extremely rare "clean sweep").

6. What young actor of the 1950s died in a car crash with only three motion pictures credited to him?

James Dean

7. This actress received her first Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role in 1955. Who was she and what is the name of the film?

Best Actress of 1955 was Anna Magnani for "The Rose Tattoo".  As this award was presented in the CY 1956, I'm not sure if you're asking for the year of presentation or year of performance being awarded.  In CY 1955, Grace Kelly was awarded the Oscar for her performance in "The Country Girl".  In both cases, it was the ONLY Oscar ever presented to these actresses...so the "first Oscar" designation in the question is misleading and a red herring.

8. The robot Gort debuted in what movie and in what year?

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" -- 1951.  It was both a debut and a finale as Gort never appeared in another movie.

12. Sidney Poitier received his first Oscar nomination for what film and when was this film made?

"The Defiant Ones" -- 1958.  His co-star, Tony Curtis, was a co-Best Actor nominee.

BONUS: For those who were really a part of the 50s and 60s-- Where were you when you heard President Kennedy had been shot?

I was in band...5th period...Wade Hampton High School, Greenville SC...Sophomore year.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »

I love Krispy Kreme. But they closed the one near here last year! :(

When it was open you could drive by and smell it. Plus they always gave you a free one while you waited!

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2006, 08:15:23 AM »

Donuts = Good!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up