Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG  (Read 23164 times)

Jennifer

Re:MERRILY OLD MAN RIVER KEEPS ROLLIN' ALONG
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2006, 08:15:38 AM »

DR Tom thanks for sharing that story. It made me cry!

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2006, 08:16:32 AM »

CP, I am glad to know you got to meet Vincent Sherman. I remember seeing him at one of the Ray Courts shows that I went to. I did not go up and talk to him, but my buddy Ron did.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2006, 08:18:31 AM »

I am staying home from work today cause I feel crappy. It is likely just allergies, so no vibes necessary...perhaps I can catch up on some movie watching....or actually catch up on transcribing some of the audio interviews that have stacked up over this last year!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2006, 08:20:49 AM »

I am staying home from work today cause I feel crappy. It is likely just allergies, so no vibes necessary...perhaps I can catch up on some movie watching....or actually catch up on transcribing some of the audio interviews that have stacked up over this last year!!!

Or you could drive up to Portland to see "Water"...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2006, 08:31:22 AM »

Hi, all!!

First - the OZDEREK memorial is so great - it should happen to me!! Thanks for sharing such a good story, Tom.

Donuts - well, when I was doing Man of La Mancha in Lake George a hundred years ago, I would wait for the little lunch wagon guy to motor by at about 2:30 every day - and buy his last plain "old-fashioned" donut, which - by 2:30 - was a hard greasy hockey puck sort of thing - but, egad! did I LOVE it! I was Not Eating, in those days - so except for my dry salads each night, those hockey pucks were IT for me. The absence of frosting or flavor made them seem okay to me...

AND there was a great muffin shop on the south side of 86th Street between 2nd and 3rd, when I lived on East 89th all those years ago... eventually, I had to cross the street to avoid passing this shop, which had the tastiest, most humongous raisin bran muffins I ever had. They were about the size of volleyballs, I swear - for about a buck apiece. Ah, but that was many years ago...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:46 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I finished creating my presentation for my interview next Tuesday. I'm so happy with it. I don't know whether to rejoice or mourn - I feel so certain I'll be offered this gig... Huzzah! - which means farewell to this idyllic cabin-on-a-stream-in-a-forest...<sigh>...

But it is time to move on. I have miles to go before I sleep...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »

Off I go to feed these squawking birds! I'll leave tomorrow, after their peanut frenzy. Take my time going down south. Too bad the weather has only just cleared... but within 10 days, I'll be back for more.
PennyO

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2006, 08:43:50 AM »

TOD:  we've had this topic before, but I will repeat this for all donutophiles (and you know who you are):

You must (as in must) try the chocolate cake donuts from the Upper Crust Bakeries (formerly Dunford's) found in all Dan's Grocery Stores in Salt Lake City.  These are such incredibly chocolately wonders that we used to have my Mom FedEx two dozen at a time to us, which we then froze and ate over the coming weeks (well, OK, sometimes days  ;D).  When we were in SLC last summer, one of the first things we did was drop by a Dan's and get our "supply" of donuts.  Mmmmm, mmmmm, good.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2006, 08:49:31 AM »

For the past few years, my mother has been desperately trying to grow sunflowers in her backyard but has had no luck in raising any.  Ironic, because in South Jersey, sunflowers are almost considered a weed--often spotted in vacant lots and neglected fields.  But in Mom's backyard, nothing doing.

LOL...she apparently has the same luck I have had with hollyhocks.

I can grow almost anything...but never intrust me with the planting of hollyhocks...they won't grow no matter where I plant them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:05 AM »

For those who've read the Kritzer saga you know that the best donuts ever were Helms, which were put on the Helms truck and then driven through every neighborhood near their bakery.  For those who haven't read the Kritzer saga - WHAT IN TARNATION ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2006, 08:53:05 AM »

Heading downstairs now to start lunch preparation.

Betty Grable and June Haver await!

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »

I've always been partial to Dunkin' Donuts over Krispy Kremes which are too sugary even for me.  I also loved a little donut shop my mom would take us to sometimes on Friday mornings before school.  I would get a chocolate milk and a giant apple fritter.  Man could I put it away as an 8 year old!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2006, 08:54:49 AM »

Tomovoz, Thank you for sharing Maureen's letter with us.  That is a lovely memorial and I am sure Derek is  is quite pleased!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »

Okay I must get ready to face the day.  Toodles!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2006, 08:57:36 AM »

RLP, I too, am awaiting to hear what the partners talk has resulted in.  I suspect nothing can change the course of events from now taking place however.

I have mixed feelings but my head is overruling my heart in this one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:05:43 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »

Okay I must get ready to face the day.  Toodles!

Why does this sentence bring to mind the airport hangar sequence in "Miss Congeniality"??????

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2006, 09:01:59 AM »

RLP, I too, am awiting to hear what the partners talk has resulted in.  I suspect nothing can change the course of events from now taking place however.

I have mixed feelings but my head is overruling my heart in this one.

Wow!  I just sent you a private message about this....so....

I'd be on pins and needles in anticipation of just "what" my boss would say.

The one thing you need to keep reminding yourself of is that you have a "better" job offer.  No matter that your heart tells you what you'd rather do...without assurances from your current boss, the new job is a blessing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:03:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »

Vibes to Vixmom...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2006, 09:05:37 AM »

The week here in Oakland is going to get hotter and hotter.  We had a nice night...cool breeze from the ocean...but things change today.

Winds are shifting and we'll be getting breezes (!) from inland (and off the deserts of the western U.S.).

It's already hazy and kind of smoggy out....really not the kind of day one wants to expose one's lungs to.

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2006, 09:07:26 AM »

DR Ginny's bonus question:

This has been a bone of contention in our house.  I was 2 years old. My dad claims he was home sick and was babysitting me while mom was somewhere else.  Mom claims she was home with me and Dad was at work.  

No matter the outcome....I was at home with one of my parents.  I think they were probably both home since they both remember being home when it was announced.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »

DR JRand - No, I don't have a new cat. I haven't seen her since Sunday morning. It's been rainy so I think she's probably at her home and they haven't let her out due to the weather.  So, I'm glad I didn't try to keep her, someone would have been quite sad.

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »

DR JRand - I am enjoying A Short History of a Small Place.  With all the detail it's a slow read, but it's worth taking the time.  This may be one I read again, just to absorb it all.  I just finished the Junious section and was laughing and laughing.  I have a friend who will adore this book. Her birthday is coming up so I'm going to get her a copy.  Thanks for the recommendation

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2006, 09:11:40 AM »

Regarding JFK: I was in my mom's womb...but my sister was on the couch watching a soap opera when the it was announced.

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2006, 09:11:52 AM »

VIBES TO VIXMOM  - Sounds like wonderful changes are in store for you

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »

Elmore informed me via email that Julian Slade, the man who created the wonderful British musical SALAD DAYS, has passed on.

Maybe it's late, but I shall wait, and I will have waited for one good reason
Here in the sun, the sun, the sun, I might be in love by the end of the season
—"I Sit In the Sun"

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2006, 09:15:01 AM »

Regarding JFK: I was in my mom's womb...but my sister was on the couch watching a soap opera when the it was announced.

Was is As The World Turns? I think that's my mom's story, that she was watching ATWT when the announcement was made

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2006, 09:16:19 AM »

Better go back to work. I need to do a jail visit and a hospital visit this afternoon.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:16:40 AM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2006, 09:25:45 AM »

Lovely tribute to Derek - thank you for sharing it, DR Tomovoz.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »

I'm trying to get up the energy to jog.  It's not working.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2006, 09:34:50 AM »

Just came from the Audio-Visual Department - the manager looks so cute in her poodle skirt and white tennies.  They were showing Fun in Acapulco and handing out Twizzlers and Tootsie Rolls.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up