Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 20686 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2003, 05:51:23 PM »

Right now, I've got a lamb roast in the oven.  Der Brucer's son-in-law has supplied us with duck and venison, waiting in the freezer.

This makes me think of a question for BK and all the DRs: so much of the time, those of us who are carnivores eat beef, chicken, and pork (without which we wouldn't have ham chunks, right?).  Sometimes we branch out, with turkey during the holidays, or lamb.  Ostrich was popular in the high-end restaurants for a while.

But what are the more unusual meats you have enjoyed?  I've had buffalo and bear.  (Buffalo was like very lean beef; bear was gamier, but tasty.)

I'm not an adventurous eater, but one time (at the Puyallup Fair) I had a buffalo burger.  It was pretty good.  Another time I had beefalo, which is a hybrid cow/buffalo that was good, also.  That's about as adventurous as I've ever gotten.

Well, tonight I don't have any Ask BK Day Questions.  Otherwise, in about an hour, I'm going to see a local production of Pump Boys and Dinettes.  The theater group that's producing it is a good group, so I'm looking forward to it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2003, 06:03:52 PM »

The MTM/Simon situation...I think Simon's allowed to be as harsh as he wants to an actor who doesn't learn his lines by opening.  And, really, an ear-piece so she can be fed lines...the height of unprofessionalism as well as walking out of the theatre before a performance, just because she got her knickers in a twist and had a snit fit.  Suck it up and don't take it out on stage with you, missy!

Ben,  some really good theatre going on right now in London.  Helen Mirren is getting good reviews in the National's MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA as is Eve Best who I saw a few years back in her debut with Jude Law in Tis Pity She's A Whore she won best newcomer for it that year.  Patrick Marber's After Miss Julie at the Donmar also sounds good.  Simon Russell Beale, maybe the best actor working in London today, just transferred in Stoppard's JUMPERS from the National to the West End.  So much more...SKELLIG directed by Trevor Nunn at the Young Vic, DEMOCRACY with Roger Allam at the Cottlesloe at the National, HAPPY DAYS with one of my favs Felicity Kendall directed by a fav, Sir Peter Hall(though I'm not a huge fan of Beckett); also Wilde's WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE with Rupert Graves at the Haymarket (my favourite theatre there).

Bruce, Did you sign the author wall leading upstairs at Bookfellows when you did your signing there?  I couldn't find your name when I was there yesterday.

Exotic meats?  The most exotic meat I ever had was venison on a flight to London on New Zealand Air...a great airline, I might add...As for the venison, it's okay...I now know exactly what one means when one describes something as gamey...Oh, it seems to me I also had venison at Rules in London once, along with blood pudding, which I quite liked...Still venison? I 'd prefer a steak...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2003, 06:07:32 PM »

SWW, you do know that that question is going to get you some very interesting answers! Tom, Ron, TCB, anyone??LOL!
Careful about inviting Tom to this discussion.  I understand that, in Austrailia, sandwiches are referred to as a "cut lunch," which brings all sorts of other things to an imaginative mind!   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2003, 06:20:14 PM »

Sorry, Mr. Pogue, but the way I heard it, the aging and ill Mr. Simon is notoriously rude with everyone, but never more so than with this play which apparently isn't funny and cannot be made funny and which he will never be happy with because he doesn't know from funny any longer.

MTM, from all reports, was gamely trying to accommodate Mr. Simon's severe eccentricities which included daily rewrites not logically related to the pages being replaced.  MTM was reportedly wearing the earpiece at the recommendation of the stage manager (or one of the producers) who felt it was the best way to keep her on stage and participating at a time when Mr. Simon is apparently in total meltdown.

If any of this is true, then perhaps Ms. Moore's removing herself from the hands of the senile old pisher was the right move.

It has never been a prerequisite of theater for actors to have total recall...and someone not used to daily changes is no less a professional than anyone else if he or she does what they must to give a performance under brutish conditions (if the reports are true, that is).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:25:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2003, 06:35:24 PM »

Home.  I had a package arrive at my shipping address which I've been waiting for for a week.  I went to pick it up only to be told that UPS had inadvertantly taken it along with other packages that were to be SHIPPED and put it back on their truck.  How annoying is that?  They assure me that they can get it back tomorrow, but I'm petrified that somehow UPS will send the damn thing back from whence it came.  All concerned better hope that doesn't happen.  They're supposed to let me know tomorrow morning.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2003, 06:35:38 PM »

Anyone who has been in a new show, knows there are changes and rewrites going on constantly...it's part of the beast.   And I don't care how rude someone is to you, you have a contract and obligations to a whole lot of other people besides Mr. Simon, to say nothing of the audience on the other side of the footlights and its expectations.  So a cranky old man bawled you out.  Oh, boo, hoo, hoo.  Just get over it and get on with the show and sort it all out later.  If actors walked out of show every time there was a tantrum or they got their feelings hurt, Broadway would be dark half the time.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2003, 07:49:04 PM »

In answer to the question about Debbie Reynolds and Miss Adelaide, Frank Sinatra got a bunch of his cronies together and recorded a GUYS AND DOLLS album. As it's famously known, he was irked that he wasn't given the role of Sky Masterson in the Goldwyn movie musical version of the show, so the LP allowed him to at least sing the role the way he wanted. He used his friends to sing other numbers in the show (but it was not done as a true studio album in that Dean Martin might have sung one of Nicely's songs and Sammy Davis did another.) Debbie did "Adelaide's Lament" on that LP.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2003, 07:51:45 PM »

Good evening DRs.....  I just wanted to check in, say hello, and beg the ever lovely & supple BK for an extended hall pass.  I have to haul my bones out of town tomorrow to try to make like a musician, and I'll be back late Sunday evening.

Why the hell can't the lottery just rain buckets of gelt down on our house, and let me throw my suitcase away!??  ???  >:(

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2003, 08:03:46 PM »

But I thought all musicians were independently wealthy and didn't need to work. They only work for the love of music.

Have I been misinformed?

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2003, 08:12:30 PM »

Well, I think I'm going to call it a day and a night. After raining for pretty much the entire day, the world has just been a gloomy place to move around in today.  But . . .

the sun'll come out tomorrow
bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun. . . .

(an ANNIE reference).

In the meantime, good night.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 08:13:47 PM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2003, 08:19:32 PM »

DR Andrea wrote:
Re: Broadway tickets

I still maintain since I got 30$ second row tickets last time I went, that I shouldn't pay that much more.

And my big problem is that I don't really like seeing musical theatre live when I've paid a lot of it. It disappoints me. I love the music, but i'd much rather see a cheap student production. To me, its all the same, the magic is still there.

Well you will most likely not find $30 seats to any broadway show. Although some shows have rush seats in the first row or in the back. Orchestra seats cost $90US+ and even with the discounts it is still over $60. I would try TKTS or discount codes. Or buy near the back and move up.  Good luck girls.

How many broadway shows have you seen?  I just ask because if Phantom is the only one you've seen, then just give others a chance.  There is nothing like a musical on Broadway.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 08:21:28 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2003, 08:25:56 PM »

Jen--

Can't get into specifics... waaay too small a town 'round here. Most of the stuff you could figure-out yourself...

Do you see that little private message button in the top right part of your screen?  You can always use it.

I live in Montreal. I don't think anyone in LaLa land is gonna find out what you tell me :)

Plus I am dying to know.

And you can ask Bruce. I can keep a secret.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2003, 08:26:22 PM »

The Sinatra/Rat Pack recording of GUYS AND DOLLS was one of four recordings by the "Reprise Musical Theatre".  The other three (with mostly the same people) were SOUTH PACIFIC, FINIAN'S RAINBOW and KISS ME, KATE.  The four are available as a boxed CD set but I'm not sure if each is available as an individual CD.  They are interesting recordings... not quite show albums but not quite pop recordings.

BK - The Sour Rude Dudes were also sent UPS.  I hope that package wasn't screwed up too.  They were supposed to go out Friday but UPS never showed up for the pickup because of the snow, so they went out Monday.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2003, 08:29:07 PM »

DR Andrea wrote:
I love pilates. It hurts so much yet feels soooo good.

I'm still undecided. I've been doing the Winsor Pilates 20 minute workout.  I don't particularly like most of the exercises. Plus i have a very delicate back and it hurts me to do it on a mat on the floor (I tried it on the couch today). We'll see.

And you have to ask us if we want a discount code. Um who do you think you're talking to? :)

Of course. Post it. Email it. One can never have too many discounts codes.

(this is pretty funny coming me today, since after fixing my shipping charges once today, amazon then proceeded to ship my other book so more shipping charges appeared :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 08:31:32 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2003, 08:34:36 PM »

For BK: That is terrible about UPS. I hate when things like that happen. You wait for a package and then something always happens to the ones you really want. I remember earlier this year, I was desperately waiting for a  package. It was sent by Fedex and for some reason they were holding it (gotta love our customs people).  I was franctic (because what was in it was very important to me). It was finally delivered a day or two later.

I'm sure it will come. But I understand why you're worried.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2003, 08:58:44 PM »

Open question

I am interested in buying a recording of the music for the film Once Upon a Time in The West. It can be the soundtrack or a studio recording. I am looking (or listening) for one that is the most complete and the best representation of the score (Sound etc)
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2003, 09:22:41 PM »

Good evening.

The usual evening post for me... Good show, good audience, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Thankfully, my back pain has eased up quite a bit.  Now as long as I don't sleep in a funny/bad position, I should be back to normal come morning.

Oh - and I have a question for Ask BK Day:

If you were to re-make - or just presume that you were making it for the first time - TFNM movie today, are there any of today's "stars" that you would love to cast in the movie?  And if you were not to recreate your role, who would you get to play you?

Well, that's about it for me for right now...  I have some e-mails to catch up on... I'll check back in before turning in.
Make Your Own Luck.

Andrea

« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2003, 10:05:11 PM »

DR Andrea wrote:I'm still undecided. I've been doing the Winsor Pilates 20 minute workout.  I don't particularly like most of the exercises. Plus i have a very delicate back and it hurts me to do it on a mat on the floor (I tried it on the couch today). We'll see.

Maybe try a pilates class with an instructor first. It might help if you got the proper form and all. I've done some pilates at the Montreal pilates centre and they're very good. Although expensive.

I've never done full pilates at home, just a combo of yoga, ballet and pilates so it was minimum strain on my back

Andrea

« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2003, 10:06:30 PM »

How many broadway shows have you seen?  I just ask because if Phantom is the only one you've seen, then just give others a chance.  There is nothing like a musical on Broadway.

I loved phantom. Loved Annie.. However when you're stuck in place des arts and can't see anything, well it makes it hard to appreciate it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2003, 10:44:08 PM »

Well, I'm heading to bed... Been a long day, and another long day tomorrow...

Oh, please send good vibes to Lancelot...  Thanks.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2003, 10:49:24 PM »

I don't know - doesn't anyone else beside me notice this dearth of posts (compared to normal for the last four weeks)?  So many errant and truant (you know who you are).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2003, 10:50:38 PM »

Michael Shayne: There is a complete soundtrack available from most soundtrack specialty shops - this is NOT the RCA one.  Call Footlight and ask.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2003, 10:54:28 PM »

Ben: I assume you and Ant. will be going to see some shows in London. Any plans? "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" perhaps?

Good grief, TFO!  Do you want to talk sex or do you want to talk theater?  Make up your mind!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2003, 11:24:47 PM »

When I got home tonight (before going to see Pump Boys and Dinettes...which was very good, by the way) a posty note from UPS was posted on my apartment door. :D It's for a package that I got through eBay, but I don't know which it could be.  Anyway, I went on-line and am having UPS redirect it to my work where we get UPS shipments every day.  I don't have to go to the UPS place and I don't have to use vacation time from work so that I can go home to sign for the package.  That's a pretty cool option that UPS offers and it doesn't cost any extra at all! ;D That's my UPS story of the day
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2003, 11:42:28 PM »

I don't know - doesn't anyone else beside me notice this dearth of posts (compared to normal for the last four weeks)?  So many errant and truant (you know who you are).

Oh yes, it has been noticed.  But I do seem to remember us having December doldrums around here in the past.  Peaks and valleys, man, peaks and valleys.  All will come back to normal soon enough, I'm sure.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2003, 12:02:26 AM »

With the talk of eating bears, cut lunches and TCB who thinks like Jenny I can't make up my mind (and he would know) it is probably a good thing that I have been absent enjoying LOTR for even more hours than I had planned.
At our local hotel eatery it is usual to have emu, buffalo, kangaroo and crocodile on the menu. I won't even eat rabbit in case I spoil easter! No way will I order Bambi either. Thanks for the smiles my friends.
(I think that wild animal called a "tofu" is the worst food I have tasted!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up