Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUT ON YOUR SUNDAY CLOTHES  (Read 18291 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PUT ON YOUR SUNDAY CLOTHES
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 06:07:44 AM »

Anybody have a favorite of the Delmer Daves 1960's Warner Bros soap opera movies?

I like A SUMMER PLACE, of course, and ROME ADVENTURE, and SUSAN SLADE...and PARRISH and YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE.

Oh, I guess I like them all!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 06:09:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  I believe I have some dad-sitting today, but till then, I will edit the Act One Finale of BABES IN TOYLAND (again!).

Now that my dad's out of danger for the nonce, I'm getting anxious to return to NYC.  I do love my family, but I've been here 10 days now and I miss my apartment.  I've got 9 more days, and I hope to spend several evenings visiting friends I haven't seen in some time.

Dylan has decided that New York is not the city in which he wants to live, so he's decided to head back to upstate New York for the rest of the summer.  I believe he'll be moving out the day before I arrive.  Does that sound like Gertrude Stein?  

DR MBarnum, my only insurance advice about your accident is that you don't need to accept their first offer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 06:14:55 AM »

Why are there fireworks tonight? It's not a holiday.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006, 06:33:16 AM »

Anybody have a favorite of the Delmer Daves 1960's Warner Bros soap opera movies?

I like A SUMMER PLACE, of course, and ROME ADVENTURE, and SUSAN SLADE...and PARRISH and YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE.

Oh, I guess I like them all!

I think i know the answer... I  may need to go and re-read the question but I have a hunch I may be on the right track...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2006, 06:45:27 AM »

DR MBarnum, I just read about your accident. I am so sorry.  I think the instructor who passed that girl should get a talking to!

I'm sort of surprised that the girl's dad would let her drive before making sure that she was capable.

But I think that was lovely of you to be so generous towards her.  I"m sure was completely devastated.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »

Last night I went to see some fireworks.  They had to start them early (9:30pm instead of 10pm) because of fear of rain.

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »

Good morning. I awoke to a shrill meow from Bootsie when I opened the door she bolted downstairs. Well, you can imagine Callie bolted after her and we went from room to room. Finally Bootsie got to Callie's food and I can't get mad a Callie for hissing about that so I stepped in.

Bootsie's ear mites seem to be back.  The vet is closed today so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to ease her discomfort (it's driving her crazy) until I can get in tomorrow.   This will also delay the two of them becoming friends a little. Those buggers are contageous and I don't need Cal getting them too.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2006, 06:57:59 AM »

I don't know that they will e ver be friends, but they came miles in the last 24 hours. Actually what happened is Bootsie realized that this is a big house and she's only in a little part of it, so she wants to wander and walks past Callie and they both hiss.  

The funny thing is they have never gotten closer to each other than 3 feet. Isn't that a bit strange?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »

that is a bit unusual...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2006, 08:20:55 AM »

Gosh JRand, Delmar Davies did some wonderful films...of his soapers my fave is A SUMMER PLACE...he also directed two of my favorite movies...THE RED HOUSE and THE LAST WAGON!

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 08:22:13 AM »

And I may still have that VHS of YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE that you made for me many years ago...I think...I know I have gotten rid of tons of videos...but I will look, and if I have it I will send it back to you!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2006, 08:24:45 AM »

Cillaliz, when we used to foster for the pound, our personal cats got so used to seeing strangers come and go. They rarely squabbled. Of course, the visitors were usually kittens. Sasha made sure everyone's ears were clean.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2006, 08:26:50 AM »

EAR MITES!!! oy, vey...

I just had a couple of days to watch a new kitten play with a gigantic dawg - I know yer pets will make friends, after a bit. They can't help themselves... like kids, they just love to have a playmate and companion.

So, anyway, here I am, back at this incredibly magical cabin in the woods... got back last night. Neighbors in for the holiday weekend, with lots of friends staying over in tents on their meadow... one couple - lawyers - really very interested to see my place today. They  want to buy a weekend/summer house up here. While I was gone, they looked around the place and fell in love with the setting...

(Be careful what you wish for...)

I went over to say hi to my neighbors and met said lawyer couple, and as soon as the woman said she'd like to see my place, I felt very defensive and proprietary... but i will show them the place today. I wouldn't be letting it go this summer, at any rate. But I'd know where to find a buyer next year, if I wanted one... <sigh>
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »

I am SO looking forward to the Meeting In Tacoma next week!
PennyO

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2006, 08:29:34 AM »

We've arrived in NYC and are safetly ensconced in "Dream" on 55th Street.  Currently trying to catch up on sleep.  The flight (Jet Blue) was the BEST ever.  Tonight, "Avenue Q".  More later...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2006, 08:30:06 AM »

Good morning!

Over nine hours of sleep for me, and slept until almost 10 o'clock. Can't remember the last time either of those events happened, but after 4 1/2 hours yesterday, not surprised it happened at all.

Beautiful hot day here (already in the 80s), so I'll be inside all day long.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2006, 08:30:38 AM »

And later today, more likely tonight, I'll begin attending to an unwritten - but necessary - scene for the new version of my play. Love having a mentor, I tell ya!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2006, 08:32:10 AM »

Matthew! Enjoy your sojourn!!!! Give my regards to Broadway!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »

Oh, my, reading DR Elmore's desire to return home reminded me how much I love being back after a trip, and I don't think I've been away from this house for that many days. FOur or five days away, and I'm itching to return always.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2006, 08:34:08 AM »

DR JRand, you made me a copy of YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE as well, and I would certainly be glad to look for it if DR MBarnum can't locate his. Keep me posted.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2006, 08:35:22 AM »

Fully determined to watch both CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE and BROTHERS GRIMM today. The former I've seen, of course (but not in quite some time), but the latter is new to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »

And then new episodes of DEADWOOD and ENTOURAGE tonight to keep me entertained as well as the rerun of COLD CASE which I don't believe I saw the first time around. So, it should be a pretty fully evening of new TV for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2006, 08:38:40 AM »

I've only seen A SUMMER PLACE and YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE, both of which I enjoyed but wouldn't count among my favorites. I'll have to try to catch up with the others one of these days.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2006, 08:52:52 AM »

So strange that it's almost noon, and I haven't been up for that long. Still, it's getting close to time to think about preparing lunch.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »

I am SO looking forward to the Meeting In Tacoma next week!

I am SOOOO bumbed I can't be there!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2006, 09:21:42 AM »

We've arrived in NYC and are safetly ensconced in "Dream" on 55th Street.  Currently trying to catch up on sleep.  The flight (Jet Blue) was the BEST ever.  Tonight, "Avenue Q".  More later...

DR Matthew, enjoy the visit!  I'm so sorry I won't be there to meet you.

My dad is stepping out (against the wishes of all family members) with his lady friend today, but I'm hoping my brother aand sister-in-law try to put a curfew on him.  He will hopefully be returned by her to me and I will keep an eye on him till my brother and sister-in-law return from their outing.

I'll sit on the porch for a while and read the Shakespeare book till he arrives.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »

Oh, my, reading DR Elmore's desire to return home reminded me how much I love being back after a trip, and I don't think I've been away from this house for that many days. FOur or five days away, and I'm itching to return always.

DR MattH, I love to travel, but once I'm set to return home, that's my focus.  My family, whom I dearly love, and I have always got along better with 500 miles between us and short sweet visits.  This one's almost three weeks so I'm getting antsy!

We also have a unified opinion of my dad's lady friend:  she's a twice widowed 81 year old who seems from her behavior in the past three months more interested in running around with him and spending his money than watching his health; I think he cares for her more than she does for him, and her presence certainly cheers him up, but he isn't the first old coot to be taken in.  She's also pentecostal, and she's told me how she knows THE DAVINCI CODE is inaccurate since she and Jesus are quite close.  Yep, there's a problem here.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »

It's nearly 9:30 a.m. and it looks like it's 6:30 a.m. outside.  The marine layer hasn't lifted...it's quiet...the birds are still chirping as they would in their sunrise frenzy.

Wierd.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:42:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2006, 09:39:51 AM »

I don't know that they will e ver be friends, but they came miles in the last 24 hours. Actually what happened is Bootsie realized that this is a big house and she's only in a little part of it, so she wants to wander and walks past Callie and they both hiss.  

The funny thing is they have never gotten closer to each other than 3 feet. Isn't that a bit strange?

No, not at all.  When my Vickie entered my household in 1988, I had a male named Dickens.

They squabbled and hissed and made my life miserable for three months -- THREE MONTHS!!!  They wouldn't eat in the same room together.  Because Dickens made it perfectly clear he would not deposit his poop into the same litter as Vickie, I had to get separate litter boxes and put them in different rooms!

At around the three-month mark, I had to be away for a weekend and a co-worker looked in on them and fed them.  When I returned, I was amazed to learn that they were sharing their food dishes, grooming one another and co-existing beautifully...even sleeping side by side.

When I got home, they were back at war.  It was ME!  Each was jealous of ME.  So I had to make concerted efforts to spend time holding each of them and praising them in front of one another....I'd invent reasons to scoop them both up and flop down on the bed with them and scratch their bellies.

I'd introduce a new toy they could both go crazy over and give each an opportunity to play with it.

I had to make them understand they could share.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:00:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2006, 09:47:14 AM »

I got my two time travel movies watched yesterday.  At the same time, sorta, I was finishing up a day-long task of cleaning out the linen closet in my bathroom.

It's a generous-sized cabinet, actually, floor-to-ceiling, and it's perfect for all my towlels, linens and pharmaceuticals/sundries.

Trouble is, they accumulate.  And the shelves are deep.  Once something's out of sight, I seldom investigate further than halfway back.  So I re-buy.

This was a long overdue cleansing.  Took much of my afternoon.  And I threw out quite a bit of stuff, some of which expired in 1998!

I have enough shampoo to last me til January 2008.  And don't even suggest I buy toothpaste til 2010 (but that's not my fault...that's Christmas stocking stuffer stuff...I'm forever bringing four or more tubes of toothpaste back from my Christmas trips back east).

I know most of this stuff won't be good for that long...but unitl it expires, I must keep it on the shelves.

Sigh.

At any rate...it's done...the countertop is clean and shiny and exposed to light once again...and the "stuff" is contained on two shelves, so my towels and linens can breathe sighs of relief, too.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:01:56 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up