Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUT ON YOUR SUNDAY CLOTHES  (Read 18308 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PUT ON YOUR SUNDAY CLOTHES
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »

This afternoon, I am treating myself to the final performance of "Like A Dog on Linoleum", Leslie Jordan's one-man show that has been here the past six weeks.

I'm truly looking forward to it.  It's playing at a theater I've not yet experienced...the 300-seat Lorraine Hansberry Theater.

Showtime is 2 p.m.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2006, 09:48:57 AM »

What an honor to start a NEW Page!

I think this calls for a Dionne Warwick-John Williams "Valley of the Dolls" moment!

BUT...it won't save no matter what I try.   Sorry.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:57:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2006, 10:03:35 AM »

Ron, you have incurred the wrath of Murphy...

Murphy's law has struck again...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »

Elmore, what Shakespearean play are you reading?

vibes for Elmore and his family....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2006, 10:05:16 AM »

I once won a vacation to an exotic locale I presumed would be San Tropez.  As it turned out, it was Sans Trope, and the hotel room I had bore a sign that read: Arnold Schoenberg slept here.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »

And with that bad joke, I'm "de trope".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2006, 10:06:13 AM »

Ron, you have incurred the wrath of Murphy...

Murphy's law has struck again...

Or, the wrath of a bursting-at-the-seams photo cache.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2006, 10:47:45 AM »

Elmore, what Shakespearean play are you reading?

vibes for Elmore and his family....

I'm reading a biography, WILL IN THE WORLD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

I'm reading a biography, WILL IN THE WORLD.

Enjoy!! I have heard of that book. It is on my list of things to read... I am going to go outside and enjoy the nice weather and a book, "1949" by Morgan Llwellyn.  I have read the first two books in the trilogy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2006, 11:10:25 AM »

We also have a unified opinion of my dad's lady friend:  she's a twice widowed 81 year old who seems from her behavior in the past three months more interested in running around with him and spending his money than watching his health; I think he cares for her more than she does for him, and her presence certainly cheers him up, but he isn't the first old coot to be taken in.  She's also pentecostal, and she's told me how she knows THE DAVINCI CODE is inaccurate since she and Jesus are quite close.  Yep, there's a problem here.

Did you point out to her that The DaVinci Code is a work of fiction?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »

In case anyone missed the open invitation:

Next Sunday Afternoon
A Northwest HHW Gathering
July 9, 2006
1:00 p.m.
[/b]

Anthony's Homeport at Point Defiance
Tacoma, Washington U.S.A.
(Maps on request -- to the restaurant, not the city)

“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »

Did you point out to her that The DaVinci Code is a work of fiction?

Yes, I did.  Do you know how crazy some of those Pentecostal Christians are?  They are to Jesus as I to my VCR!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:35:37 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2006, 12:13:29 PM »

Good morning.  Or not.  I awoke to a frozen computer.  I shut it down.  The End.  The hard drive is officially dead.  I must now send in the computer to Apple and seven to ten days later I'll have it back with a new hard drive.  At that point, I can boot from my external drive and get everything back just the way it was, presuming the nightly backups have been working as they should.  In the meantime, I will have to do any computer work from a remote location.  Isn't that a fine kettle of fish?  So, everyone is on their own to keep the jernt alive and well.

I would hate, after five years, to miss a day of notes, but at this time I just don't know what will be.  If I have enough cash I may go buy a little iMac to use.  We'll see.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »

Next Sunday Afternoon
July 9, 2006
[/b]

I'll be there! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »

I watched two movies this afternoon. First up was the completion of CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE. It's a beautiful looking movie, but it's at least 20-30 minutes too long. Love the score, and no one can excel Tyrone Power in the beauty department.

The DVD of this will be among the great looking classic films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »

Yes, I did.  Do you know how crazy some of those Pentecostal Christians are?  They are to Jesus as I to my VCR!

Yes, it's like you're speaking a foreign language to them. They hear, see, and know only the things in their own minds. Rationality and commmon sense go right out the window. Very frustrating.

And I know what you mean about dealing with family. Despite the love one may have for them, they can be trying on the patience of an adult. My parents could never accept that I had grown up and didn't need to be directed by them any longer. That's the main reason I moved out of the town where they lived even though I continued to teach there.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

bk, did you not save your old Dell when you went over to the Mac world? I still have an ancient laptop top here (uses Windows 98) that I use on Oscar and Tony night just because it's easy to set up and get on-line with. Not powerful enough for much of anything else, but it does come in handy for a back-up.

I'm afraid I'm at a point in my life where I can't be without a computer now. I have to be sure there is at least one here that works.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2006, 01:24:47 PM »

Yes, it's like you're speaking a foreign language to them. They hear, see, and know only the things in their own minds. Rationality and commmon sense go right out the window. Very frustrating.

And I know what you mean about dealing with family. Despite the love one may have for them, they can be trying on the patience of an adult. My parents could never accept that I had grown up and didn't need to be directed by them any longer. That's the main reason I moved out of the town where they lived even though I continued to teach there.

I am sure that it true, but I would love to have some more family members that I could complain about.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »

Anyway, because I didn't have enough time left to watch BROTHERS GRIMM, I put in one of my favorite THIN MAN movies - SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN and watched it. Always entertaining with a great supporting cast: Donna Reed, Barry Nelson, Sam Levene, Louise Beavers.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »

I am sure that it true, but I would love to have some more family members that I could complain about.

My parents left this world after living long lives and did not have to suffer at the end of their lives. I have no regrets.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2006, 01:28:59 PM »

And as I was folding clothes after doing laundry, I watched the filmed version of THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE which happened to be being telecast on one of the HBO channels. I think the one taped in CEntral Park, with everyone singing live as in a theater, works so much better than this "canned" version despite having many of the same cast members.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »

BK, would it be possible to write tomorrow's notes this afternoon from some outside spot; and then send them off to someone, like Mr. Mark Bakalor, who could post them for you at midnight?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »

My parents left this world after living long lives and did not have to suffer at the end of their lives. I have no regrets.

I certainly didn't mean any offense, Matt H., I just was wishing that I still had some additional family members around.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »

I certainly didn't mean any offense, Matt H., I just was wishing that I still had some additional family members around.

Oh, no, I wasn't offended, and I'm sorry you read my reponse that way.

My closest friends here in Charlotte are now my family, and truthfully, I feel so bonded to them that I am indeed fortunate to consider them family now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »

Next Sunday Afternoon
July 9, 2006
[/b]

Who all are coming to this shindig?  DRs MBarnum, Jed, Ann, JMK, Jane?  Am I missing anyone?  I wanna go!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »

Sunday greetings!  After quite a while at the Apple store in Cincinnati, DH Richard and I are now the proud owners of a MacBook.  Now, when I travel, I won't have to be E&T so much.

Who all are coming to this shindig?  DRs MBarnum, Jed, Ann, JMK, Jane?  Am I missing anyone?  I wanna go!!!!

Me, too, DR Elmore!  Think we could get a good deal on a flight out of Dayton?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2006, 02:39:52 PM »

Well, at this moment the Moore family collective panties are in a bunch!  My father's been off with his lady friend for over 3 hours, we don't know where he is or when he's returning so all our lives are on hold this this old biddy returns him.  The fact that the man was near death a week ago doesn't seem to bother his friend too much; she mentioned that they were going sho[[ing after their lunch, and I hope she doesn't have him carrying her groceries and other purchases.  I'm sure he was beginning to get a bit stir-crazy at my brother's but I don't want him out for too long a stretch until I know he's in better shape.  Welcome to KING LEAR.

I may be jailed tonight for kicking an old bag to deay
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 02:40:16 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »

Sunday greetings!  After quite a while at the Apple store in Cincinnati, DH Richard and I are now the proud owners of a MacBook.  Now, when I travel, I won't have to be E&T so much.Me, too, DR Elmore!  Think we could get a good deal on a flight out of Dayton?

I'm stuck here with the Old Coot who's driving me mad this weekend!

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2006, 02:48:57 PM »

I'm stuck here with the Old Coot who's driving me mad this weekend!

Well, when you can escape, the Margaritas and salsa offer is still good!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »

Ron P - I don't know whether to say thanks for the cat story or not.  THREE MONTHS????? I was very frustrated earlier and was ready to give up and find Boots a new home, but she's soooo sweet, I just can't give up yet.  

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 02:50:19 PM by Cillaliz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up