Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD  (Read 103761 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2006, 01:25:39 PM »

Knowing I was going to watch more MEDIUM on DVD, I took a break and watched the other series on the DVR recorded over the past couple of days.

I started with last night's LOVESPRING INTERNATIONAL. This was the pilot episode which I hadn't seen. Funny and easy to see why it sold the series. Most of the subsequent episodes weren't as funny as this one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2006, 01:28:16 PM »

Page Four ARISTOCATS Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »

Next I watched Sunday night's DEADWOOD. The big showdown is coming, but last night was more of a wait-and-see episode.

The Calamity Jane scene was funny. So was the scarf salesman dickering with Al. And all Timothy Olyphant has to do is stand there, and I melt.

And next week, we get two of the Earps riding into Deadwood. Wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »

Watched two MEDIUM episodes from the second disc in the DVD set. The first was a Maria Lark-centered episode where we first get indication that she, too, has the psychi gift. A touching scene with Allison, her daughter, and the dead child.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »

Very happy about your news, DR JRand. Is the sheriff the role you wanted or did you have something else in mind? Sometimes I'm surprised what parts directors see for me that I had no thought of going for. I got cast as Beverly Carlton in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER when I was going for the father role. Hadn't even dawned on me to audition for Beverly.

I got cast as Charlie Brown in You're a Good Man.....  When I auditioned, I was thinking...maybe I'd be good for Schroeder.  You just never know. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:39:23 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2006, 01:34:42 PM »

Then came my favorite episode from Season 1: the showdown between Allison and the prosecuting attorney who was trying to expose Allison as a psychic on the witness stand. I don't remember which episode Patricia Arquette submitted last year that won her an Emmy, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one wasn't it (since she also has a BIG fight with Joe earlier in the episode and spends much of the show scared that he's having an affair. There was also a hilarious encounter with a dead policeman in his casket to open the show.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »

Back from lunch.  Weather's not too bad right now.  It's warm, but there is a nice breeze that compensates for the burning sun...especially in the shade.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »

Am awaiting a timely delivery today of, among other things that seem to be taking forever to arrive, an Amazon.com package with the Pressburger/Powell "A Canterbury Tale".

I'm still hoping for a UPS package that, on July 17th, left Sylmar CA at 5:13 a.m.  There are no updates since that time in the UPS tracking program.

I think 8 days out of Sylmar (a good name for a modern Western, I believe) is quite long enough!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:37:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »

I'm thinking I'll watch GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES when I get back to the TV laster today. That should take me to a new episode of RESCUE ME tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »

Am awaiting, among other things that seem to be taking forever, an amazon.com package with the Pressburger/Powell "A Canterbury Tale".

I've got the next set of Shirley Temple films on order, but as yet, I haven't received a shipping notice from Amazon. I haven't been having good luck with them lately as far as getting new releases in a timely fashion.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »

I'm thinking I'll watch GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES when I get back to the TV laster today. That should take me to a new episode of RESCUE ME tonight.

I'm thinking you need some spontaneity in your life.

:D

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2006, 01:39:26 PM »

I'm thinking you need some spontaneity in your life.

:D

Uh, no, I live by my schedule unless there's an emergency. No reason for me to do otherwise.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2006, 01:45:01 PM »

I've always been fond of the Portland Oregonian, since they were one of the first newspapers to give an out-and-out rave to The First Nudie Musical.

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »

Tuesday greetings!  Back among the living after my marathon morning at the dentist's office.  Cleaning went fine, fitting of the crown on the tooth I broke last month went fine once the dentist took over from the technician.  Then, the root canal began.  Two and a half hours later  :P I staggered out to the waiting room and DH Richard brought me home.  Slept a couple hours and woke up hungry - that's a good sign.

Congrats to DR George on the trivia win and to DR JRand on the role in TKaM (what are the production dates?).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2006, 02:07:54 PM »

I'm glad you are doing well after that dental marathon, Ginny. Yikes!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »

I'm glad you are doing well after that dental marathon, Ginny. Yikes!

Thanks, DR DearReaderLaura.  Think I can milk it for another sick day tomorrow?

It was nice to hear from DR Sandra, too!  Her story about a high seas adventure in Kansas reminded me of our family having a seafood dinner at Red Lobster in Kearney, Nebraska.  We laughed about being about as far from either ocean as you could get in the United States.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2006, 02:12:37 PM »

DR Ginny, glad the worst is behind you. Hope you make a quick recovery.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »

...it took me a couple viewings to get all of the relationships straight and to equate who various people are when they grew up (especially when played by different actors as children and then later as adults)....
Even in England, it's hard to find child actors who can play adults convincingly.  But I'm certain they tried to find them before splitting the roles.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:41 PM »

Of course, there was also the editing of The Carol Burnett Show into half-hour chunks, which somehow never felt right.  I had to stop watching after four or five syndicated half-hour episodes.
Der Brucer and I were discussing this a few days ago, while in the car.

My theory is that what has been cut from the CBS is almost without exception the musical sequences, due to the difficulties of obtaining the rights to the songs.  Back when CBS was originally broadcast, they probably weren't thinking of home video, or even syndication rights.  Our loss, of course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2006, 02:23:31 PM »

There is an echo in here!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »

Der Brucer and I were discussing this a few days ago, while in the car.

My theory is that what has been cut from the CBS is almost without exception the musical sequences, due to the difficulties of obtaining the rights to the songs.  Back when CBS was originally broadcast, they probably weren't thinking of home video, or even syndication rights.  Our loss, of course.

It may already have been mentioned here, but that's got to be why WKRP is not out on DVD. Which is a bummer cause I'd like to have the series on DVD.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »

I only put in a four-hour shift at work, dang.  This cold really has me down.  Eyes ache, chest aches, the works.  I went to bed as soon as I got home, and feel like getting back in even though I just got up.

Bleh.

At least Fletcher was willing to share my bed, instead of laying on top of me.  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »

I had to log off for an impromptu game of Scum. And yes, there are cousins I have never heard of either. This is Mikalah's first time to one of our shindigs and she's been asking her mom if they can come to the next one.

I have some more pictures, but I can't post them until I can use my brother's computer. I'm on the camp place's computer right now.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »

DR Sandra should have a story about Chinese food in a couple days.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:38:09 PM by DearReaderLaura »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »

Tpunk, George & Matt H-I enjoyed sharing the photos. :)

DRLaura- ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2006, 02:35:59 PM »

Ginny & SWW-feel good tonight vibes.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »

Even in England, it's hard to find child actors who can play adults convincingly.  But I'm certain they tried to find them before splitting the roles.

;D

???

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2006, 02:37:36 PM »

There are A LOT of people in my DH's family.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »

It may already have been mentioned here, but that's got to be why WKRP is not out on DVD. Which is a bummer cause I'd like to have the series on DVD.

It's certainly the reason COLD CASE hasn't been released on DVD. The rights to the music for DVDs are allegedly astronomical.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2006, 02:39:46 PM »

Off to clean the living room now. Have sme reading to catch up on, too, before I get back to the TV.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up