Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES ON A FULL STOMACH  (Read 43755 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOTES ON A FULL STOMACH
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:09:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read the notes on a full stomach, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off reading the notes on a full stomach.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:23:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES ON A FULL STOMACH
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:11:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: CASUISTRY!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:53:13 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:24:25 AM »

BK, did you delete (or forget) a post?  Because you usually start with "You've read the notes..." and THEN "And the word of the day is...."  Very unusual. ::)

;)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:24:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:08 AM »

Well...today is (potentially) a very important day in Washington State's history:

(and now, It's Today!...a Jerry Herman reference ;)).

The state Supreme Court, which has been deliberating gay marriage since hearing arguments in March 2005, will release its decision Wednesday at 8 a.m.  The local TV news reports have been saying "as early as 8 a.m."  The article goes on:

The 38 plaintiffs in the case -- 19 gay and lesbian couples seeking to marry, including Olympia city councilman Jeff Kingsbury -- challenged the constitutionality of the state's 1998 Defense of Marriage Act, which limits marriage to heterosexual couples.

If the same-sex marriage ban (DOMA) is ruled unconstitutional, gay and lesbian couples could apply for marriage licenses as early as noon!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:44:50 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:43:50 AM »

Click HERE for an article from The Seattle Times that goes into a little more detail.  

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:45:19 AM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:53:37 AM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to MsWittR, whomever he/she may be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:53:50 AM »

There - all is well now.

George

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:12 AM »

;D

George

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:24:46 AM »

Well, I've been sitting here like so much fish (what else is new?) and since I don't have any questions for BK at this time, I'm going to say "good night."

"Good night."  There.  I said it. :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:38:30 AM »

Wow. We had the biggest, loudest storm I've ever seen in all my years of living in the desert. It was frightening.  Thunder and lightening crashing right overhead.  I went over to check out the condition of the church, and the police officers wouldn't let me cross the street -- there is a huge metal power pole laying in the road.  I'm surprised they got our power back on in six hours.

One neighbor seems to have lost part of his roof, and many trees are down, as well. There's a sheet of something metal in my front yard. I think my house is fine -- I'll have to have a better look in the morning.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 04:09:04 AM »

Good morning DR FJL.  Bedtime in the land of OZ so Goodnight.  I have no questions.

I have no expectations. Maybe that's our dog Fosca.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 04:27:59 AM »

Good night, Tomovoz.  I thought I saw you there, but I got kicked off for a second or thirty, and then when I came back you weren't there.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 04:44:45 AM »

I remember seeing the late 1960s documentary, The Epic That Never Was, which is the story of the debacle that was the aborted Josef von Sternberg version of I, Claudius from the late 1930s. It was fascinating and it was also interesting to watch Charles Laughton in the lead role and also in it was Merle Oberon, Flora Robson and Emeline (Sp?) Williams. Don't know why I remember that after all these years. But it was fascinating to watch. I know I saw it when I lived in Canada. So it may have been on the CBC. I always wondered why all those scenes were saved from a film that was never completed.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:02 AM »

Avoiding the moral quagmires of CASUISTRY is what helps keep US SATYRIC.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 05:00:19 AM »

I went to bed shortly after getting home.

I woke up every two to three hours thereafter, and basically rolled over and went back to sleep.  Not easy to do with a hundred-and-twenty pound Dalmatian taking up much of my bed.   :P

That amounted to something like eightteen hours of sleep.

I think I've burned off most of the cold, however.

And der Brucer hasn't complained about my not yet cooking his dinner.

That will come later, I expect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 05:17:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm a bit groggy this morning, but I forced myself out of bed by 7:30, which is an hour later than I'm accustomed to beginning my day.  This abscess - and my cold - have let me be self-indulgent for the past few days.

Today I'm back to Toyland for a few hours and tonight Mr Ron Raines and I are going to SWEENEY TODD; I believe our friend Judy Kaye is playing Mrs Lovett for the nonce.  I had been raving to Mr Raines about THE LIEUTENANT OF INISHMORE last week after my wonderful evening out with our DR Jose, and Mr Raines saw it last Saturday night.  We've been laughing over its outrageousness ever since.

TOD:  Dear Friend BK, I don't see any contractual material amongst this music?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 05:19:01 AM »

I went to bed shortly after getting home.

I think I've burned off most of the cold, however.

And der Brucer hasn't complained about my not yet cooking his dinner.

That will come later, I expect.

DR SWW, I am so sympathetic about the cold!  If Der Brucer complains, give him a cup of Nyquil.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 05:38:39 AM »

Good morning all.  I did not sleep so well last night, lots of tossing and turning and coughing due to my still scratchy throat.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 05:39:06 AM »

George, thank you for posting the link to the article.  I am awaiting the outcome. with hope.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 06:25:14 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Back at work today after 4 days off (regular 3-day weekend, plus dental day yesterday).  Nothing has changed here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 06:25:28 AM »

Good morning all.  Not much to say. I can see already it's going to be a very busy day, so i can't stay long.  Just wanted to say hi

DR Laura - hope your home is ok after the storm

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 06:37:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm off to rehearsal...

DR TPunk - Hope you feel better.

DR elmore - Glad to know that you're feeling better.

DR SWW - Glad to know you're feeling better too.

And everyone else... Stay Well!!!!  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 06:38:21 AM »

DR DearReaderLaura - I hope that metal thing in your front yard is not from your house.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 06:59:46 AM »

The metal thing in my front yard is nothing compared to metal things scattered around my neighborhood.

My house seems to be ok -- we had it roofed a couple years ago, so we did ok. Others are missing many shingles -- and the flat-roofed houses are missing their roofs.

Now that it is light and I can see better, the huge metal power pole is really bent at the base and leaning across the road, and all down the road you can see the wooden power poles are lying in the street.

The church had several puddles inside, and we have a bit of yard cleanup, but other than that, I think we're ok.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 07:15:40 AM »

Good morning!

We're back to hot here in the SOuthland. Into the 90s for the next three days, and no rain forecast for today, so it's going to be muggy and miserable. Yuck!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

THE EPIC THAT NEVER WAS is one of the best behind the scenes documentaries ever made. It's fascinating to see Charles Laughton struggling to find the character within himself and how tough he is on what he delivers. Looked wonderful to my eyes and ears.

While a film version couldn't do justice to the story the way the miniseries did, I think this film would have been one of the greats. Certainly the footage we're shown of Laughton and Emlyn Williams and FLora Robson looks wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 07:19:59 AM »

Totally forgot about EUREKA last night. I never got around to watching the two hour premiere (still on the DVR), and I may just decide to skip the whole thing. I'll look to see if I can record the second episode, and if so, I guess I will give it a try. If not, I'll just delete the premiere and look elsewhere for entertainment.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »

I noticed that the DVR had picked up MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID. I haven't seen this film in ages (apart from the clips in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT), so I'll be watching this today.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »

I hope DRs TPunk, ELmore, SWW, and others who are suffering from summer maladies will feel better soon. It's miserable to be sick at any time during the year, but being under the weather during the summer is somehow the worst, at least to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 07:44:48 AM »

Hope you have recovered from the storm, DR LAURA....sounds like you were having some Indiana weather there!

Congrats to DRELMORE on being one of the chosen ones!

I am intrigued by HERRINGBONE! The Musical!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up