Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TAKING THE BULL BY THE HORNS  (Read 19988 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TAKING THE BULL BY THE HORNS
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »

And one for Mahler.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »

Well...  I need to head to midtown to pick up some music, and then I think I may just walk around for a bit since it looks like I will most definitely be staying in the apartment the next couple of days due to the heat.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »

I miss Gilroy and it's garlic.

And I need some shelves.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »

I just made a big decision.  I'm putting the new book on hold until January.  That was also a suggestion from Margaret, and as I thought about it I realized that I should never have started it now.  First off, I have to start another project, then there's the rewrite of The Brain, and then there's doing The Brain.  And most importantly, I always start a new book right after the first of the year.  I just finished the short stories five months ago, so that's this year's book.  So, what I'll do is put myself into the new mode in terms of the book's changes, and I'll make notes and be totally ready to go in January.  As I've said, I love the idea of the book and there's just no reason to try and do these changes now as it requires a whole different mindset and a new set of notes about the beginning third of the book.  So, January it is.  I feel ever so much better and I may start on the new project today or tomorrow.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »

I'm looking forward to visiting my old hometown of LA, seeing several old friends, including BK, attending the cabaret, and meeting a few hainsies/kimlets. As BK would say, getting off Planet Jeanne for a while.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2006, 11:08:46 AM »

Has anyone watched this Bravo WORKOUT?  Oy!  The lesbian in charge of this mess should keep her private life and her bites from her girlfriend to herself.  She's now talking about a customer's girl crack.  Would I go to her gym?  Not with her lack of professional behavior.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:09:09 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »

11:30 and I'm the only one in the jernt.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2006, 11:49:44 AM »

Garlic ice cream, anyone?
Since you ask...

GARLIC ICE CREAM!!!

Ingredients
5 heads of garlic (heads, not cloves)

2 tbsp. butter

1 litre half-and-half cream

1/2 cup sugar

4 egg yolks

Roast the five heads of garlic: peel off the outer skin but leave cloves intact and attached. Arrange on a double thickness of foil, put about 1/2 tbsp. of butter on top of each, wrap up tightly and bake in a 350-degree oven for an hour. Cut the tips off the cloves, still attached in the head shape, and squeeze out the roasted garlic puree. You'll get perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 cup in total.

Mix the cream and sugar in a saucepan, heat to the boiling point and pour it over the egg yolks while whisking briskly. Put about a cup of the cream into a blender with the garlic puree and blend for about fifteen seconds to make sure there are no lumps of garlic. Mix in the rest of the cream, let cool, and use with your favourite ice-cream maker.

(The preceeding was found on the net.  I cannot guarantee the results.   ;D)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:43 AM »

The GARLIC ICE CREAM DIET

Eat whatever you would normally eat, just add four servings of garlic ice cream per day.

You don't actually lose weight, but you do look thinner from a distance.

FJL

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »

Skip is on the train from Vancouver, WA to Seattle, WA.  We tried to call the person from the theater who's picking Skip up to tell her his train is running 20 minutes late, but to no avail, got her machine instead.  So if she's reading HHW, we want her to know that Skip will get in at 12:35 instead of 12:15.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:02:00 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »

And if she's reading HHW, why isn't she in her car, on the way to pick Skip up at the train station?  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2006, 12:22:05 PM »

This morning Keith, MBarnum, Bosco & I went for a lovely hike along one of my favorite Ashland trails.  Unfortunately MBarnum left his camera & Keith forgot to put the memory card back into ours, making our camera useless.

Bosco is a WONDERFUL, beautifully behaved dog & is welcome to visit us any time.  MBarnum is of course welcome to join him. If we are lucky the next visit will last longer and we can hike on Mt. Ashland.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »

I've been watching the BBC Shakespeare production of JULIUS CAESAR; I will never ever ever like this boring play.  I'm ready to jump to MACBETH, which - like HAMLET - never bogs down.  Thirty minutes of JULIUS CAESAR - it should be called MEN IN SHEETS - seems an eternity, and four hours of HAMLET flies by!  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »

Elmore-It’s true, MBarnum turned us down since our accommodations don’t include a fire escape.  After our hike he did hint he might stay with us next time ins spite of our short comings.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2006, 01:30:45 PM »

Enjoyed a couple of video offerings today. I started with the last disc in the MEDIUJM box. SInce it's a two part episode (part one was the season cliffhanger and part two opened the second season), I skipped it and went straight to the special features.

Lots of interesting "making of" featurettes on the real Allison DuBois, her husband, etc. and how the casting, etc. for the show took place. Really enjoyed all of these behind the scenes features including the gag reel.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »

I just popped in to check up on what's happening. :) And now I'm off!  I have to get some cat food and shampoo at Costco.  I actually have to get a lot more, but I don't have time to dilly dally (or even dally dilly) because I have to take my niece to a Seattle Storm basketball game.  The team is not doing well.  They have a LOT of injured players and are not doing as well as they have in the past.  They are, however, still in the top four for the Western Division, so there's hope...but not a lot.  But I hope it's a good game.  Later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »

Afterwards, between inspecting the yard work that was going on, I watched THAT MIDNIGHT KISS.

Lanza was magnetic in this despite being "green" about acting before a camera. And the Helen Rose gown that Grayson wears for the final number is SO stunning.

The print screened on TCM had some damage, but oh, was that Technicolor stunning. Wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »

Heading to the guest bath to give it a once over.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »

Again I'm the only one in the jernt.  Perhaps it was the garlic ice cream.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

Again I'm the only one in the jernt.  Perhaps it was the garlic ice cream.

Waynesville, Ohio, a community not far from here, has an annual sauerkraut festival.  One of their delicacies is sauerkraut ice cream.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

ARRRGGHHH!  I've been online for the last hour or so, trying to make airline reservations for Richard and me for NYC in October.  First, the site didn't like Safari, so I switched to Explorer.  Then I got timed out, then I called customer "service," then I QUIT for the day.  Will try it again tomorrow from my PC at work - maybe the online site doesn't like Mac.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2006, 04:05:40 PM »

The Continental site has been acting up a little for me today, for some reason, on Internet explorer anyway.

FJL

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

The garlic ice cream talk reminds me of Neil Diamond's record "Porcupine Pie."

Porcupine Pie Lyrics
Artist(Band):Neil Diamond

Porcupine Pie, Porcupine Pie, Porcupine Pie
Vanilla Soup, a double scoop please
No, maybe I won't, maybe I won't, maybe I will
The tutti fruit with fruity blue cheese

Ah, but Porcupine Pie, Porcupine Pie, Porcupine Pie
Don't let it get on your jeans
And though it sounds a little strange
Well, you gotta eat it with gloves
Or your hands will turn green

Ah, but porcupine pie, porcupine pie, porcupine pie,
It weaves its way through my dreams,
And I do believe I'm gonna have one and
Leave enough room for dessert, chicken ripple ice cream.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I've had Garlic Ice Cream.  It really isn't that bad.  It's interesting, but in a good way.  At least to me.

However, my favorite savory ice cream flavor has to be the Olive Oil Ice Cream served at Zaytinya in Washington, DC.  Quite amazing.  And it's usually served next to a scoop of their Black Walnut Ice Cream, very complementary.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2006, 04:16:24 PM »

Also having problems with Continental Airline's site on Skip's Safari.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »

It really wasn't that "bad" an afternoon weather-wise to walk around NYC.  It was warm/hot, but the humidity was very low, and I felt pretty comfortable while doing some more exploring on foot.

My original plan after finishing my errand in midtown was to head back to the Village to this falafel place that I've become a great fan of this past week, Taïm.  -It's right next door to Rattlestick Theatre - and it also just got a nice write-up in the Times this past week too.  Well, when I got off the train at 14th Street, I emerged from the ground and stepped right in the middle of a street fair.  It seemed to be dedicated to the culture of Mexico.  So, after some perusing some of the various foodstalls, I decided to forgo the falafel, and instead I sampled some tacos al carbon, pupusas, huaraches and horchata.  It was all quite muy bueno, and I believe I fulfilled my body's masa quotient for the year (well, at least the month ;-))  Best of all, I didn't spend more than $10.00 for all the food I consumed.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2006, 04:26:58 PM »

After consuming the Mexican food, I went ahead and took a jaunt down 4th Street through the Village where there was another street fair on Christopher Street.  Then over to Washington Square Park.  Then down to SoHo.  Then over to Little Italy where all the streets were blocked off for yet another street fair.

Thankfully(?), I was still full from my Mexican feast, that I was able to resist all those foodstalls.  -However, I did get two containers of rice pudding from Rice To Riches - pina colada, and chocolate hazelnut - for consumption later.  :)

...Then I head back west via Canal, then back up through SoHo... Then I finally hopped on the A at 4th Street when I realized my feet needed a rest.

All in all, a very nice day out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

OH!  And the Summer Clearance Sales at Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table... WOW!  I looked, but did not buy.

And the moving sale at Broadway Panhandler was also in full swing too.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »

RE: IE for Mac - If you're used to using IE on a Mac, now would be the time to switch over to Safari and/or Firefox for Mac since Microsoft is no longer supporting IE for Mac.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »

Waynesville, Ohio, a community not far from here, has an annual sauerkraut festival.  One of their delicacies is sauerkraut ice cream.
SAUERKRAUT ICE CREAM!!!

Ingredients
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. grated lemon peel
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, separated
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. Silver Fleece Sauerkraut Juice
1 qt. Heavy cream, whipped

Instructions
Mix cornstarch, sugar & lemon peel in saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens & boils 1 min. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks in lrg. bowl. Gradually blend in milk mixture. Cool. Stir in lemon & kraut juice.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold with cream into cornstarch mixture. Turn into refrigerator trays. Freeze until ice crystals form around edges of trays. Turn mixture into lrg bowl & beat well. Return to freeze trays. Freeze until firm.

(Again, I cannot vouch for the results of the preceeding recipe.  My bad.   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up