Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEWLESS  (Read 16253 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:CLEWLESS
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »

PAGE TWO
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »

Just finishing proofing the last few pages of story five, then will be on my way to Grant's.  Didn't get to jog this morning, so will do so when I get home.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2006, 11:00:24 AM »

What time does the Emmy Party begin?  I assume we will be trashing the winners / losers / worst dressed.  

Remember:  This is another award show that is delayed three hours on the left Coast (and Lord knows how long in Oz).
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »

I also had a wacky dream last night and I know exactly what cause it. I was watching (actully I was channel surfing and it caught my eye) a "reality" program earlier in the day and was quite surprise that a channel like Showtime was airing it.
Since this is a family sight I can't really explain what I saw....

Can't you even give a hint?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:02 AM »

Can't you even give a hint?? ;)

:o GEORGE!!!  :o
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:26 AM »

Today I will finally get to the MONK episode that's caused some discussion here.

I will say that like so many shows that have eccentric characters (I'm thinking THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES specifically), as time goes on, the staff writers exaggerate all their eccentricities for the sake of the comedy, and the result is always characters that don't resemble live people in any way....

When "Three's Company" started, Susan Sommers' character was just a ditzy blonde.  Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but still, a "real" character.  As the series went on, she morphed into a caricature that was so far from a realistic persona, that I totally lost interest in the entire show.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »

:o GEORGE!!!  :o

You don't know me very well, do you??

;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

I could so not care about the Emmys.  I'll be watching Shakespeare Re-Told on BBCAmerica; then the final episode of DEADWOOD on HBO.

George

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »

I may not be able to watch the Emmys.  If my family is still here, we'll still be working on my house, getting it ready for my sister to sell.

George

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 11:55:13 AM »

Which is what I need to start doing now.  Later!

Ben

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 12:07:37 PM »

Agree w/Charles. I won't be watching the Emmys. I watch so little broadcast/cable television that I have no real knowledge of who is nominated or the shows up for awards.

It's raining here in New York but I must go out anyway. We are out of tissues (Kleenex is, after all, copyrighted) and I must get a box or two for my sick spouse.

Later.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 12:08:41 PM »

I assume all you posters will begin posting when the Emmys begin. Otherwise we will have one unhappy host. Don't say I didn't warn you  ;D

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2006, 12:10:10 PM »

DR Ben - sorry to hear that Anthony is under the weather.  Hope he feels better soon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 12:15:42 PM »

Will the Emmy's be worth watching?  I haven't watched a lot of current shows.  I'm gald Christopher Meloni is finally up for an award.

I saw a local production o f "Take Me Out" last night which was surprisingly well done.  There are some great monologues in that play-- ones you'd die to be able to do.  Since we had seen the Broadway production (the same year we met lovely NY Hainsies dear Ben, the ever hot Ant, the ever hot Jose, the sweet and talented and cute Jason (aka Broadway Bratt), etc.  Sweet people all of them.  But I digress.  The local production may not have been quite up to the original, but it was still very well done and very powerful.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »

Get well wishes to dear Ant (and yes, you're hot to, Ben)
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

I am back from the City of San Francisco and have reentered the rut of my life.

There is, however, renewal of energy and spirits and an exaltation that comes from a fantastic night in the theater.

"A Chorus Line" IS BACK!  And it's brilliant, scintillating, breathlessly paced and a magnificent entertainment.

This show is nearly perfect.  I say nearly because there is one lull that betrays itself when it occurs...it's just prior to "What I Did For Love".  Zach asks Diana and the others what they would do if they couldn't dance.  The stage is peopled with dancers...and each has something to say.  It's not uninteresting, but nothing is really said that is momentous or uplifting.  It seems this show has gone for 1 hour and 50 minutes at a breakneck pace and someone pulls it to a screeching halt to say, "Hey!  Let's take a break before THE BIG NUMBER."

"What I Did for Love" is a very nice song...and leads beautifully into the selection of the "four and four".  And then there's that finale....absolutely spectacular in all respects.

Several times during the show, the applause was prolonged and lusty, with cheers, whistles and shouts of "Bravo" and "Brava"!  

This led to one other grievance -- I had no idea that when the curtain closed there'd be no opportunity for a standing "O" -- one the show richly deserves.  

Apparently, if you don't do it within the final kicks (24?  27?  Someone told me how many, but I forget), it won't happen.

Should I ever see it again...I will attempt to lead the charge.  Don't know if I can find a ticket for next Saturday or not.  But if I can, I will be there.

For those going to see it in a month or so....YOU ARE GONNA BE THRILLED.

The cast is marvelous...Charlotte d'Amboise is amazing!  Every cast member acquits herself/himself beautifully...often brilliantly.

I've never felt such energy emanate from a stage!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:46:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »

While I'm posting, let me say this about something NOT thrilling or amazing or entertaining:

Friday night's episode of "Monk" was that show's worst-ever episode (at least, among the shows I've seen of it).  This was a 12-minute plotline conflated/inflated to 45-plus minutes of annoying eccentricities on the part of a leading actor whose schtick has overwhelmed him -- it's not funny, it's not clever and it's extraordinarily badly done.  

I wanted to push my hand through the screen and grab Tony Shalhoub by the shoulders and throttle him soundly.

And that "moment" between the detective and his truant son at the end...that "look" of father-son bonding...was so sickeningly sappy I threw things at my
TV set.

Enough already.  The show has become a sad, pale imitation of its earlier, less-eccentric and more-tolerable self.  This episode is a prime example of what happens when creative talents beging working at the nadir of their craft.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:49:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - thanks for the glowing report on A Chorus Line!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »

I have been extremely lazy all day today. Just can't seem to wake up. But...tonight is Bonnie Raitt and Keb Mo, so I must pull myself together get into the shower and try to wake up before my DB and his DW arrive.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2006, 12:56:17 PM »

Luckily, they left home late, as I anticipated, so we are meeting elsewhere and it won't matter that I didn't frantically try to clean the house

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2006, 01:16:31 PM »

I will be absent this afternoon, because I am off to the local theater's annual dinner.  For some strange reason, this dinner in the last two years, has morphed into a barbecue.  It is fun, but missing is that once a year glitz and glamour that I always hated until I was forced into it; but always looked back on fondly.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »

Cillaliz, I hope you enjoy the performance of Bonnie Raitt and whoever the other entertainer you are seeing.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2006, 01:29:13 PM »

Aw, Kerry, thanks. If we both weren't taken, I'd take you ;)

Ben

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2006, 01:30:29 PM »

Anthony thanks you for the kind wishes. He has perked up a bit since he heard the news that Presenting Lily Mars is coming out on DVD. He's disappointed that he has to wait until December 19th but it's coming out so he's happy. In case you can't tell, it's one of his very favorite movies.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »

So, today's a round of Toyland and nuns...

You're buying sex toys for Nuns! Shame 8)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »

Our seats were to the far right.  Naturally, anything that was stage right and behind the proscenium was blocked from our view.  

Stage left, dear.

Unfortunately the sight lines were made more extreme because the production design places extentions (about two foot) on both sides of the proscenium. Also, I saw no technical or artistic reason why the extreme upstage left scenes could not have been played more center stage (in two cases, simply entending a cliff a few feet toward the center would have done the trick).

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

PRESENTING LILY MARS?  Isn't that the TV series about the teenager who solves crimes with her father?

I beleive it is based on Tab Hunter's book, STILL.
[/size]

Quite possible that VERONICA MARS was based on the book, but PRESENTING LILY MARS was based on a book by Booth Tarkington.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2006, 02:05:27 PM »

We are out of tissues (Kleenex is, after all, copyrighted) and I must get a box or two for my sick spouse.

Maybe we should invent SnotRags® and compete.

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »

Quite possible that VERONICA MARS was based on the book, but PRESENTING LILY MARS was based on a book by Booth Tarkington.

Damn!  Wrong again.
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up