Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEWLESS  (Read 16245 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CLEWLESS
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were clewless, and now it is time for you to post until the clewless cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:16:42 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CLEWLESS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:23:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRACTIOUS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:01:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRACTIOUS!
"You sure like to collect FAT CURIOS, don't you!  And they need dusting!" Sarah pointed out to her genteel aunt in her usual FRACTIOUS manner.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 05:06:34 AM »

Good morning, Elmore!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »

Let's start out with a report on The Lion King, currently on tour in Philly:

Our seats could have been worse.

But not much.

The Academy of Music in Philadelphia is a grand opera house, built in the traditional horseshoe configuration.  This is great, if you're just there to hear a production, but can be less than perfect if you want to watch a show.  Our seats were to the far right.  Naturally, anything that was stage right and behind the proscenium was blocked from our view.  Guess what - Taymor's staging emphasizes upstage right.

There were sound problems as well.  Miking on Young Simba and Scar should have been better.  As for Zazu, the miking wasn't the problem, his lack was in his diction.

Aside from that, the production was fine.  Der B and I couldn't spot anything that looked scaled down from the staging we saw in Los Angeles.  And the grandlads enjoyed the show very much.  Particular kudos to the puppetry done by both Zazu and Timon.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:58:31 AM by S. Woody White »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 05:23:59 AM »

Hello, DR SWW!  And good morning, all!  I had a strange mixture of dreams: I don't know if I was working at The Drama Book Shop or at a construction site, for example.  At one point I was filing Russian plays and then I was examining pavement.

So, today's a round of Toyland and nuns: I have a few errands at the recording office and at some point a meeting with Andy Monroe about the Singing Nun show.  I have to think about a holiday arrangement of a David Friedman song for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus, and I need to finish this chart for Klea (God it's a long number!).  I need to clear my calendar for the OKLAHOMA! work I need to do this week, and to allow myself time to work on Mr Kimmel's epic.

Yesterday, I started reading Scott Smith's (A SIMPLE PLAN) new book THE RUINS: four college kids, one Greek who speaks no English, and a German who may not be what he seems, looking for an archeological site in the jungles of Yucatan.   It's creepy so far.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 05:34:56 AM »

.  I have to think about a holiday arrangement of a David Friedman song for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus

Which song? I think FRiedman is a great lyricist and/or composer.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 05:40:05 AM »

I've decided what the real problem is with der B's daughter, Magic Mommy.

She doesn't have a clew as to how to listen to others.

In every conversation, including those held yesterday, she has opinions, oh yes she has opinions.  And she made clear that she has opinions.  The sad thing is, she has absolutely no respect for other people's opinions, because she only allows herself the right to be right.

A simple discussion of toll booths came up, for example.  She daily has to cross the Bay Bridge into Annapolis on her way to work.  No toll booth going into Annapolis.  But in the other direction, there is a regular jam at the toll booth for people wishing to escape from Annapolis, what with driviers having to fumble for the correct change.  This blockage regularly takes ten minutes for her to get through.  And I have no doubt that she is right in her reporting of this, as der B and I have noted the blockage ourselves.

However, and there is a however, it is therefor her contention that it also takes ten minutes to get through the tollbooths just south of Dover on Delaware's Highway One.  These are tollbooths that der B and I travel through on a regular basis.  We have never been held up by ten minutes waiting to get through the tollbooths.  Not once.  For one thing, the toll is a dollar, so there is no fumbling for change.  And once we're through the booths, it takes no time at all to get back up to speed.

Nope, Magic Mommy will have none of it.  She is right, she is always right, and it matters not to her that she is comparing apples to oranges.

This arguement went on for ten minutes.  We could have traveled through the Bay Bridge toll booth in the same amount of time it took for this arguement to take place.

And it was an arguement about nothing!

On our way home, after returning from Philly to the Magic Mommy house and getting back in our car, der Brucer decided we should time how long it took to get through the Dover toll booth.

Ninety seconds, tops, from having to start applying the brakes, getting into the most crowded lane (he does play fair), paying the toll, and then getting back up to speed.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 05:42:46 AM »

I also had a wacky dream last night and I know exactly what cause it. I was watching (actully I was channel surfing and it caught my eye) a "reality" program earlier in the day and was quite surprise that a channel like Showtime was airing it.
Since this is a family sight I can't really explain what I saw but it must have left an impression on me because I dreamed a duplicate with people I don't even know, remember seeing them anywhere or meeting them.

The brain is a strange and wonderful place.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 05:44:25 AM »

A question for Elmore: How many musicians are you planning for in the Brain score?  I've noticed that a lot of the cast recordings of late have a pit with just five members, jacked up by some great choral work by the cast where appropriate.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 05:56:57 AM »

My plan to force Magic Mommy to wait for us while we went into Tower or Borders came to naught.  Just as well.

While der Grampa and the clan walked to our planned post-theater dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, I detoured.  Der B and I would like to see Bourne's Edward Scissorhands when it plays at the Academy, but since the box office was closed during both intermission and after the play, it fell to me to find out when they would be open.  (Turns out, the main box office is at the Kimmel (no relation) Center just a couple of blocks south.)  I got this info from one of the very nice house staff at the Academy.  It pays to ask nicely, of course, with a friendly tone of voice, and to say thank-you.

Since both Tower and Borders were en route to the Hard Rock, I decided to check to see if they had the James Stewart Signature Collection.  Tower didn't have it, although they did have the individual DVDs (at a price higher than we can get it on-line).  Borders didn't have it at all.

Der Grampa and clan couldn't have been seated for more than ten minutes when I joined them.  Magic Mommy could only stare at me as I detailed what I had found out.  How had I been able to make three stops in so little time?

What can I say, I'm organized.

A question for our esteemed BK: Would you recommend getting the full Stewart set, or should I settle for Spirit of St. Louis as a single item?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:58:08 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 06:00:51 AM »

Time for me to get to work.  I really must ask some of the teens who collect carts and bag groceries how it is that I regularly have more energy than they.  I think it's a growing up thing.   :-\

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 06:04:09 AM »

Which song? I think FRiedman is a great lyricist and/or composer.
The Truth About Christmas
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 06:07:41 AM »

A question for Elmore: How many musicians are you planning for in the Brain score?  I've noticed that a lot of the cast recordings of late have a pit with just five members, jacked up by some great choral work by the cast where appropriate.

Five players.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 06:17:56 AM »

In every conversation, including those held yesterday, she has opinions, oh yes she has opinions.  And she made clear that she has opinions.  The sad thing is, she has absolutely no respect for other people's opinions, because she only allows herself the right to be right.

DR SWoody, I have found that the best way to deal with folks like this is to say, "Okay," and let them think they've won. You won't win, even though you are right.  It saves time and frustration.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 06:57:32 AM »

Good morning!

Sort of cool when I got the newspaper this morning, but I can tell it's going to heat up very fast. Mowing the lawn may not be practical until early evening now, if I get to it at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 07:05:28 AM »

Today I will finally get to the MONK episode that's caused some discussion here.

I will say that like so many shows that have eccentric characters (I'm thinking THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES specifically), as time goes on, the staff writers exaggerate all their eccentricities for the sake of the comedy, and the result is always characters that don't resemble live people in any way.

For me, the character of Monk can still entertain in various episodes even though I think the writers started going the outrageous route in Season 3 when Monk was locked in a safe room and had a panic attack even though there was an easy escape right next to the door that shut. The scene went on for several minutes with Monk screaming for help despite the Captain and his friends all assuring him he was all right and he had an easy exit. I knew then that all subtlety had been thrown out the window for the sake of a joke.

And Monk isn't the only character who's gone off the deep end. Randy Discher has become such a nincompoop that one wonders how he dresses himself in the morning or is able to turn the key to start his car to get to work.

I say this and still, the show can make me laugh. I just don't equate it with a great show any more.

Still, I'll weigh in with an opinion this afternoon after I've finally watched the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 07:30:49 AM »

The Emmys are tonight. Trying to predict winners with the Emmys is the hardest of all guessing games. More than any other awards, the Emmys can have winners come out of nowhere (remember Patricia Arquette's victory for MEDIUM last year. Not one critic that I read predicted that she'd win; she wasn't even nominated this year). On the other hand, folks can win trophy after trophy long after their acting has become stale and predictable.

With that said, here are my guesses for some of the major prizes:

Best Drama - GREY'S ANATOMY

Best Comedy - THE OFFICE

Best Reality Series - THE AMAZING RACE

Best Miniseries - BLEAK HOUSE

Actor in a Drama Series - Dennis Leary, RESCUE ME

Actress in a Drama Series - Allison Janney, THE WEST WING

Actor in a Comedy Series - Steve Carrell, THE OFFICE

Actress in a Comedy Series - Lisa Kudrow, THE COMEBACK

Supporting Actor in Drama - Gregory Itzin, '24'

Supporting Actress in Drama - Sandra Oh, GREY'S ANATOMY

Supporting Actor in Comedy - Jeremy Piven, ENTOURAGE

Supporting Actress in Comedy - Megan Mullaley, WILL & GRACE
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:40:37 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 07:37:42 AM »

In the DVD player, I have cued up the 1935 MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. I haven't watched this movie in a long time, and the last time was on a laserdisc that was one of the earliest laserdiscs issued and was thus not very sharp or in very good shape. I'm very curious to see how this looks on DVD with the technology now present for capturing prized old films to disc.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 07:39:48 AM »

DR FJL - I think THE GAPING PAW OF HELL is a great title for a film du Mr Bert I. Gordon.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 07:40:26 AM »

Have to work with my nephew today.....

DR SWW....what I complained about RE: THE LION KING was that I COULD see and hear parts of it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 07:40:52 AM »

I think I have a clew about the trivia question, and will try it when I return to CHEZ JRAND56 this evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

Here are the ten films that won the voting (with their dates of release) in the DVD Decision 2006 sponsored by Warners and Amazon:

Best Foot Forward - Dec 19
Angels in the Outfield  - Dec 19
Presenting Lily Mars - Dec 19
Band of Angels - Jan 30
Up Periscope - Dec 19
Operation Crossbow - Dec 19
The Illustrated Man - Dec 19
Looker - Jan 30
Madame Curie - Jan 30
Gymkata - Jan 30
The Arrangement - Jan 30

I am delighted about PRESENTING LILY MARS and BEST FOOT FORWARD, of course, but sad to see that some worthwhile films like SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO didn't get on the list.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 08:13:54 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - I've been watching the news coverage from Lexington this morning and am very glad to see you here.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 09:12:04 AM »

Hi - I get no signals up here -- what's going on in Lexington???
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 09:16:54 AM »

DR PennyO - a tragic plane crash.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 09:53:57 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  

Yes, I recomment the Stewart box if you're a Stewart fan - it's good value for money, and I happen to enjoy the films, not always the case in box sets.  The only complete loser, transfer-wise, is The Naked Spur, but it's a great movie.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »

Ginny, I usually fly out of Cincinnati or Louisville.  It's a tragic thing,of course.  Looks like the pilot may have taken off from the wrong runway, which is half the length of the one he was suppose to have taken off from.  Just now waiting to see if anyone we know or anyone any of friends knew was on it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 10:35:37 AM »

I am delighted about PRESENTING LILY MARS and BEST FOOT FORWARD, of course, but sad to see that some worthwhile films like SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO didn't get on the list.

PRESENTING LILY MARS?  Isn't that the TV series about the teenager who solves crimes with her father?

I beleive it is based on Tab Hunter's book, STILL.
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »

Well, we might as well go for it.............
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up