Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEWLESS  (Read 16296 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:CLEWLESS
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2006, 02:08:37 PM »

I did finally see the MONK episode that's gotten so much talk, and it also irritated the crap out of me. How could anyone mistake a Porta-Jon for a telephone kiosk (they don't look like booths any more)? Who in their right mind, obsessive-cumplusive or not, would touch a 400 watt heat lamp - TWICE! Beyond absurd. Or announce on stage about a critical piece of evidence that was needed? Or touch a piece of rubber tubing the killer used that might contain skin cells or fingerprints? And on and on.

On the other hand, when they were at the acupuncturist, I did laugh out loud as Monk touched the needles and the person underneath squirmed in pain. Cruel but it did make me laugh. That WAS in in the nature of his character since he has the need to touch pointed things like car antennas and the like.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Three Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »

Then I began watching MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. Warners did a masterful job priming this film for DVD though there are still minor scratches and some spots here and there. Some scenes are grainier than others, too, but much of it looks silky and gorgeous. Sound a bit on the tinny side, but the film is 70 years old and I'm sure they did the best with it they could.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »

I didn't quite get finished with it. With about thirty minutes to go, a friend from out of town (the one I went to see in HMS PINAFORE) dropped by completely unannounced. Was delighted to see him and we talked for over an hour, but I will still have MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY to finish, and likely as not, I won't get to finish it today.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2006, 02:14:50 PM »

I wasn't planning on staying on-line during the Emmys. So few people here watch a lot of prime time TV, and there wouldn't be much discussion going on like there is with the Tonys and Oscars.

I'll be interested to see if NBC broadcasts it in high definition. No network has yet broadcast the Emmys in high def. I doubt NBC will be the first.

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »

Cillaliz, I hope you enjoy the performance of Bonnie Raitt and whoever the other entertainer you are seeing.

Thanks, the other entertainer is Keb Mo.  

As is normal, my brother and sister-in-law were supposed to be here at 3:00pm, well at 3:45 they were still nearly 2 hours away. LOL, I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused.  some day they will be on time and I won't be anywhere close to ready for them to arrive!

FJL

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »

I guess it's hit or miss with the Philadelphia Academy of Music and  touring companies.  I thought the use of the space for the WICKED tour in that theater far surpassed the use of space at the Gershwin on Broadway.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »

Off to clean the guest bath now. Then, back to viewing MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY until the Emmys start. I have no interest at all in the pre-show stuff.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »

Well, it doesn't sound like we are going to have an Emmy party, so I guess I won't rush home from the dinner.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »

I will be absent this afternoon, because I am off to the local theater's annual dinner.  For some strange reason, this dinner in the last two years, has morphed into a barbecue.  It is fun, but missing is that once a year glitz and glamour that I always hated until I was forced into it; but always looked back on fondly.

Wear your zircons and sequins anyway!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »

I've felt that way about MONK for some time, and feel the same way about PSYCH. Both shows have interesting premises, and sometimes ingenious ideas for plots, but way too much shtick.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2006, 03:19:44 PM »

Pogue, hope nobody you know was personally affected by the plane crash, although I am sure  it is a bad feeling for the community as a whole.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »

Back from Grant's.  The final two stories are now formatted, and we entered all the corrections to the other five.  Now I have to proof the two newest, then go back and give a once-over to the other five.  We'll try to wrap this up on Tuesday.  

We'd better have some kind of Emmy do here, because I'll be out seeing a show and I'd like to hear about the most egregious faux pas.

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2006, 03:31:48 PM »

Emmy Awards TCB:

Is Ben Casy up against Dr Kildare again?
I'm still hoping for a win for Adventures in Paradise.

"Arrested Development".  That's where my votes would be.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »

A friend of mine is on call for disaster relief in Lexington -- her cell phone kept going off all day.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »

I see people, but I don't see posts.  We want complete EMMY reports, baby.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »

I'm not watching the Emmys either.  I'll see the winners in tomorrow's news.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »

I don't think I will be watching the Emmy's tonight either...Big Brother is on opposite and I am trying to get some serious DVD watching done today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2006, 04:48:46 PM »

Well, someone better be watching the EMMYs and reporting on same.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »

I just got back from seeing THE ILLUSIONIST -- which I thoroughly enjoyed. i Went to see it as work (researching magic) -- and wound up having a wonderful time. A lovely surprise!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »

I have been cleaning my bedroom (for the first time...ever ::)) and my sister has been paiting shelves and trim.  Her boyfriend went and got dinner, so I'm off to eat.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2006, 05:27:12 PM »

My parents might also come over, so if they do, they'll probably stay long after the Emmys start...but not for the whole show.  I'll post if I can, but I can't promise anything.

Later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »

Der Brucer is watching the Emmys.

The intro comedy bits (filmed) are decent.

The first half of Conan's is hit or miss.

The second half, however, is BRILLIANT!

That should be enough without spoilers for the westies.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »

I was about to say something about a gown, but that would be a spoiler.

But could it have been cut lower?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2006, 05:38:18 PM »

I'm going to get dinner prepared.  'Til later!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2006, 05:53:21 PM »

Back from dinner at my mom's with my sister, my niece, my aunt, and (of course) Mom.  She served broiled chopped sirloin, fresh corn on the cob, fresh tomatoes, and Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide ice cream.  Yum!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2006, 05:54:46 PM »

Cillaliz, I hope you enjoy the performance of Bonnie Raitt and whoever the other entertainer you are seeing.

Yes, and if Bonnie's father, John, is in the audience, give him a HHW.com shout from all of us (or go up to him and give him a hug).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:55:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »

Emmy Awards TCB:

Is Ben Casy up against Dr Kildare again?
I'm still hoping for a win for Adventures in Paradise.

Ain't THAT the truth!  I keep hoping for a "Gardner McKay" write-in vote!

And was ANY show better scored than "Adventures in Paradise"?  I mean, Lionel Newman should have OWNED that Emmy for at least two years.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »

Well, someone better be watching the EMMYs and reporting on same.

I'll check in here later tonight for any report that may get posted.  If others are like me, we're simply not impressed with the nominee lineup.  The Emmy "nominating committees" really bit the big one!

:D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:02:33 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »

I've felt that way about MONK for some time, and feel the same way about PSYCH. Both shows have interesting premises, and sometimes ingenious ideas for plots, but way too much shtick.

Here our paths diverge....except for the mercifully few "psychic-having-a-flash" acts Sean (sp?) pulls, I find the rest of the show beguilingly fresh and funny.

That said, those few moments are often quite annoying and bring the show down...for each moment that happens.  But the two guys always bring it back up afterward....for me.

;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:03:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up