Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PROOF  (Read 14221 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PROOF
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »

And here's a December release that's sure to bring joy to many...available for pre-order at Amazon.com:

For me, it means I'll be able to ditch the DVD-R I made from the TCM broadcast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »

Page Four Angus MacBadger Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2006, 01:30:45 PM »

I started this afternoon with last night's GREY'S ANATOMY.

I finally got to see what led to George's leaving the house and to Denny's return to the hospital.

To be honest, I got a little irritated with the cat and mouse George and Meredith stuff until I saw the flashback that showed what their night together was like. Heartbreaking for poor George.

I see where Sara Ramirez went after she left SPAMALOT, but I'm not sold on her as a partner for George.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »

RENO 911! (was this the season finale?) had an OK episode, but the season has had funnier ones.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »

ENTOURAGE's season finale was pretty disturbing. Some spoiled Hollywood stars (and their hangers-on; just makes you sick.)

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2006, 01:33:05 PM »

For all you Erik Larson fans, this is due out Oct. 24, 2006:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »

At some point last night I recorded HONDO off TCM. I never got around to buying the DVD that was released several months ago, so I watched about 45 minutes of it off the DVR this afternoon. I'll have to do some searches of reviews about the quality of the DVD's transfer. The medium and close shots looked fine, but long shots looked very soft. Does the fact it was shot originally in 3-D have anything to do with that?

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »

DR PennyO - this quote from Jacqueline Winspear's website might be useful in your workshop.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »

"All alone Monday, singin' the blues . . . ."

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2006, 02:43:16 PM »

Heading down now to clean the dining room and then mow the front yard. Then, to finish HONDO and watch THE CLOSER (big events happening to Brenda tonight).

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2006, 02:51:31 PM »

"Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »

"Tuesday's Dead" - (Cat Stevens)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2006, 02:58:21 PM »

OK, I know I've linked to the LAST STARFIGHTER NYMF page before, but now it's really got that most important "oomph" factor -

BK's bio.

http://www.nymf.org/index.php?module=ShowManager&func=display&sid=540

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

I posted about Hondo's transfer, but can't remember what I said.  I think it looks pretty good as I recall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

Still proofing after all these years.  Had to take a couple of hours and attend to some errands.  I'm almost finished with the final story, then must go back to the top and begin again, although the second time through will go much, much faster.

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »

Thanks for asking! It was just great! Eight people had signed up on the library's list, and I had a nice bunch of walk-in's who had found out about it in the Redmond Reporter (local newspaper), which had kindly highlighted my workshops in their calendar. A library staff person came, too - he's a novelist/screenwriter who had put all his manuscripts away years ago, and brought them out again this week in anticipation of being with other writers in a workshop.

The most intriguing aspect of the evening was the fear factor - sheer terror - plaguing most of the participants. At one point toward the end of the two hours, I was addressing this block that several of them had mentioned and asked for help with... I was saying that I wasn't braver than anyone else, I didn't possess more courage than any of them... when I realized that just wasn't true. Something dawned.

Courage and optimism is a gift. Not everyone is born with it. I have been doing workshops like this one for over twenty years - and my blithe suggestions to students to "just take the next step... just get on with it" have been my too-facile response to a crippling handicap. I didn't know. It just never occurred to me that a lot of people are actually crippled by a fear of taking action.

I had the flash of insight about domesticated elephants: handlers chain baby elephants to a post for a couple of years. The babies struggle to get loose and find themselves helpless. After a year or two, the chain is replaced by a rope. Adult elephants never consider that they can take three steps and break the rope... it just never occurs to them...they have been conditioned to believe they are helplessly chained. Reality is something we are conditioned to, and facts don't change it...

So my task now is to figure out how to change the elephant's perception.

This is fascinating to me. It's a lot like the attitude of a lot of my clients who are afraid to try anything outside their experience and the world as they know it, even though that world has brought them problems, pain and sometimes a lack of freedom.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »

Jane - Toby has Martian eyes in that photo.

And Dylan seems to be looking up someone's shorts, but actually must be hoping that person would drop some food.

And is he thinking "You don't have to shave your legs for me"

Cillaliz

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

For all you Erik Larson fans, this is due out Oct. 24, 2006:

Thanks for this update. I do like his books

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »

"Tuesday's Dead" - (Cat Stevens)

"Wednesday's Song".....

You'll make it through the day
See things another way and behold
Listen to wednesday's song
This night you go home alone
How the sane go upright
How you look another night
You're back under my hat
And even knowing that you're a whore
Nothing ever meant more...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »

And now I've heard from Amazon.com.

And guess what?

They say it was ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING!

They apologized for the e-mail that was sent out in error.

Harrumph!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »

"Thursday's Child is Full of Woe"

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »

DR PennyO - this quote from Jacqueline Winspear's website might be useful in your workshop.

This is really good, Ginny.  

I also like to talk someone through the fear. (Many times it's myself) What's the worst thing that could happen?  It usually isn't that bad when you actually put it into words and really look at it and often isn't much different from where they are now.  Then look at what's the best thing that could happen? Talk through the good thing and how much do you want that?  Are you willing to risk the worst to have a chance to get the best?   If the answer is yes, then it's just a matter of getting started. If the answer is no,  then maybe it isn't the thing to do, maybe they don't have the commitment to that particular idea or thing etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »

Some annoying thing has been nagging at me all day, and I've finally pinpointed what it is.

"Monk's" season went on hiatus with this past Friday's crappy episode.

New shows will start up again in January.  The same applies to "Psych."  Something about USA not wanting either show to overstay its welcome??

But...Tony Shalhoub wins another Emmy for his acting in "Monk".

And the show is on hiatus until January.

He won an Emmy.  Arguably, folks who don't watch MIGHT consider watching...if the show were playing.  But USA has put it on hiatus.

Until January.

Until then, no more episodes of "Monk"...to my knowledge, that includes reruns ('cause if new episodes might scare away an audience, wouldn't reruns be worse?).

It's nice to know that cable network jobs are open to morons.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 04:46:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »

I'm back from a rehearsal of THE TRAGIC & HORRIBLE LIFE. . . http://singingnunthemusical.com/
I had a meeting with the director and composer about the choral arrangement of the finale.  I'm quite excited about this piece.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »

I have officially given up on this week's trivia contest.  I thought I was on to something, but it was not to be.  Still, I love trying to solve them.  Thank you, BK, for taking the time to do them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »

I'm going to Ottawa for a couple of nights in October and have done something I've never done before: booked a B&B. The price is incredibly good, the location is perfect (near the National Arts Center, where I'll be attending a function), beautiful room ("the Jacobean Suite") facing the garden,  an ensuite bath. Breakfast included. $80. a night!

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2006, 06:06:03 PM »

I'm back from a rehearsal of THE TRAGIC & HORRIBLE LIFE. . . http://singingnunthemusical.com/
I had a meeting with the director and composer about the choral arrangement of the finale.  I'm quite excited about this piece.

DR Elmore - the clips on the site sound clever.  Wish we were going to be there during the run!

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »

...I also like to talk someone through the fear. (Many times it's myself) What's the worst thing that could happen?  It usually isn't that bad when you actually put it into words and really look at it and often isn't much different from where they are now.  Then look at what's the best thing that could happen? Talk through the good thing and how much do you want that?  Are you willing to risk the worst to have a chance to get the best?   If the answer is yes, then it's just a matter of getting started. If the answer is no,  then maybe it isn't the thing to do, maybe they don't have the commitment to that particular idea or thing etc....

DR Cillaliz - one of my mantras is, "Everything's a trade-off."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »

I watched the Emmy Awards last night.  I had hoped that Christopher Meloni would win Best Actor in a Drama because of his fine work on LAW AND ORDER: SVU.  However, I was certainly not disappointed or upset that Kiefer Sutherland won the award for "24".  I think that Mr. Sutherland is one of the more talented actors of his generation, and that "24" is one of the most original shows to appear on network television in many years.  My congratulations to all of those nominated in the various categories.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »

Did anyone seen Grey Gardens in its off broadway run? If it was mentioned before, sorry, I wasn't paying attention.  I'm considering getting tickets for the Sat Mat while we're there and if JH is burned out on theatre he can have an afternoon sans his Aunt and I would have an extra ticket for someone who wanted to go with me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up