Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRING THEORY OR THE BIG SHEEP  (Read 21503 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE STRING THEORY OR THE BIG SHEEP
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »

And then TWO FOR THE ROAD, one of my all-time favorite romantic dramedies. Still have about 20 minutes to go in it, but will finish it when I return to the TV tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Three Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2006, 01:37:03 PM »

Those of you who saw HOLLYWOODLAND over the weekend might be interested to know that Ben Affleck won Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival for his performance in the film.

Helen Mirren won Best Actress for THE QUEEN while STILL LIFE won the Golden Lion for best Film.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »

An interesting bit of trivia:

If you take a THEREMIN into a cave, it will only play in THE MINER keys!

Remember, no groaning allowed.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »

I have my bathroom to clean now and then back to TV for the evening's viewing slate.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »

Jane, I just finished another great Arthurian Trilogy by Bernard Cornwell (author of the Sharpe series): The Winter King; The Enemy of God; and Excalibur.  I think I liked these better than Mists.  But both of these keep Arthur pagan, which works betters for me than when the Arthurian legend is layered with all that moralizing Christianity.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2006, 02:48:23 PM »

I tried to call my Dad to check on him and I got his answering machine. I hope he isn't out running around.  My sister-in-law and chef extraordinaire Jo sent me an email that his chemo has changed and he's now on something called Erbitux.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »

Ooh, I must go write about Bird's.

I ended up going back to the book fair - I just had one of those funny feelings I get sometimes.  And boy did it pay off.  There was a dealer there - mainly autographs with just a handful of uninteresting books.  No one was perusing anything at his booth, yesterday or today.  I happened to wander over to the handful of books, to check out a Brit edition of Devil Of A State by Anthony Burgess, just to see how it compared to mine own and to see the price.  My eye happened to go to the shelf next to said books and there was a small sign that said "proofs".  I reached over and looked at the first one on the pile.  It was from 1935 and the front said that the book was by Humphrey Cobb and it was untitled.  They'd done up some of these proof copies and were going to award $50 to whomever came up with the perfect title.  I turned to the title page and sure enough it said "A Novel by Humphrey Cobb - As Yet Untitled".

Now, Mr. Cobb only wrote one novel and it was turned into a very well known film, both novel and film being titled Paths of Glory.  The book, for whatever reasons, has never gone for much money - primo copies can be had for between $100-200, and signed copies for a bit more.  I put the proof down and went and discussed it with a couple of dealer friends - I didn't tell them I'd found it, just asked if they'd seen it.  Both these guys are very knowledgeable dealers in that sort of book and neither of them had ever seen an advance proof in this early untitled state.  One of them had seen an Advance Readers Copy with a jacket laid over the paper cover.   They were both basically salivating over even the thought of it.  I went back and bought it (the dealer gave me twenty percent off, and it wasn't too much money).  I then showed it to the two dealers, who were just drooling.  They weren't crass enough to offer me more than I paid, but I know I'll be hearing from at least one of them about it.  As I was wandering around, the story got passed on to several dealers and suddenly this book was the talk of the show, and I was showing it to everyone and everyone was oohing and aahing.  One dealer told me that this rather well-known Internet dealer would put no less than $2,500 on it.  Since I didn't even pay ten percent of that figure, you can imagine how proud of myself I was for that little discovery.  The guy had other terrific proofs of some pricey books, but I didn't get greedy - he had the proof of A Fan's Notes and The Sterile Cuckoo, both very rare books.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »

Now, what I didn't find was a toy sheep.  I hate when that happens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »

Is this a slower than slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  C'mon, let's have a pick-me-up.  I'm trying to figure out what I'd like to stuff down my gaping hungry maw.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »

Happy Birthday Donna.  

DR Jennifer, I can't get the House Calls video to play...hmmm

Try clicking on this main link and then clicking archives.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother7/housecalls/index.shtml

Or here is the link i put up before.  You might need to hit refresh. It can take a bit of time to load. But you should see the current show (in your left top corner) and lists of options on the right of every past show.

http://www.cbs.com/innertube/player.php?cat=110002

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »

Try clicking on this main link and then clicking archives.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother7/housecalls/index.shtml

Or here is the link i put up before.  You might need to hit refresh. It can take a bit of time to load. But you should see the current show (in your left top corner) and lists of options on the right of every past show.

http://www.cbs.com/innertube/player.php?cat=110002

Thanks, I've tried it about every way I can think  of. My Norton seems to be blocking it, but I can't figure out why..it doens't block Youtube...oh well. What did she say?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm back from California.  Actually I've been back for a few days but have spent the time running around, trying to cram in a few more hours at GMHC and get some odds and ends done before starting my new job tomorrow.  I'll basically spend all of the day tomorrow at an orientation and Tuesday will be my first day onsite.  I'm excited and scared and also feeling like it hasn't truly sunk in.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2006, 04:56:01 PM »

Okay, my avatar is blurry.  Probably because I uploaded it from photobucket where it actually appears clear.  And when I try to upload it from my desktop I get an error message saying it's too big, but it's only 8KBs...

If anyone can turn this into a usable avatar I will be eternally grateful.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »

Happy Birthday wishes to DR Donna.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2006, 04:57:13 PM »

Rodzinksi is also E&T but that is because he has spent the last 3 days fighting off a cold.  He has only been moderately successful in his attempt.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2006, 05:02:07 PM »

Random thought about Project Runway, POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

I don't know how other folks feel, but Rodzinski and I have been discussing how much more we cared about the participants last season.  Both in terms of who they were and also their talent as designers.  By this time last season, we felt truly sad to see each of them go.  And as crazy as Santino made us, we did at least have his hilarious Tim impression.  And he never seemed to be as intentionally cruel as Jeffrey.  I don't feel that way about most of them this time around.  I like Michael, I'm curious to see what his runway show would look like.  I like Laura and most of what she creates, and can appreciate her sass.  But everyone else I could pretty much take or leave.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »

TPunk, that's a lovely picture!

The problem is that anytime you try and modify a .jpg, it's going to get a little distorted.  The dimentions for HHW avatars need to be 110 pixels wide by 150 pixels high.  The kilobyte size isn't really a factor (since it's so small, anyway), but it's the actual width and hight that you need to figure out.  So, here is your picture in the correct ratio (hopefully it looks good enough to use):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2006, 06:07:14 PM »

This is kind of ugly, isn't it?  The errant and truant will have some splainin' to do, and they're going to be bitch-slapped from here to eternity and hell and back should we achieve a new all-time low, which it certainly seems we're on our way to doing, and without so much as a too many connections to use as an excuse.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »

Back after training someone to take over one of the websites I've been maintaining for our local AAUW branch - glad to get that off my plate!

I also went grocery shopping and discovered that Sunday evening is an awful time to do that - they were out of several things that are staples in our house.

Welcome back to DR TPunk - first day on the new job vibes to  you for tomorrow!  PS - I like your new avatar, blurry or not  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:12:05 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »

Well, my sister and niece showed up and have command that I start (continue, actually) to pack.  That's my excuse for having to leave. ;)

Be back later. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »

We, too, went grocery shopping (Anthony and I) but we went at 9am. We decided to go to Trader Joe's because we hadn't been in a while and I wanted some Cinnamon Cranberry Dunkers and dark chocolate covered raisins. We got both along with some good food at good prices. We have dinner covered for the next few days. I did have to go to Associated later to get some things that were not at TJs, like baking potatoes (why did they not have baking potatoes) and some Lean Cuisine frozen dinners for those nights when we need a quick and easy dinner.

Welcome back TP (not TJ). Ant was surprised and pleased to see you in class on Saturday.

Best wishes on the new job. They are a lucky bunch of kids to be getting someone as good as you.

Ben

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 06:24:44 PM »

After all that I forgot to mention how crowded it was at Trader Joe's. Even the staff mentioned it. At 9am when they open there are usually maybe 10 people waiting. Today there were about 25-30. The store wasn't extremely crowded, like in the afternoon, but at 9am you're not expecting to be in a small mob scene with people who stop to browse over food while standing in the aisle next to a post which means you can't get by. When we said "excuse us, please" he looked annoyed as if we were interrupting his shopping experience. Hey, this is NY buddy, learn how to move or stay home  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »

I'm really disgusted. Our CBS station isn't playing 911 - the one with the French film makers narrated by Robert DeNiro because there are some bad words in it that could offend.   OH please. I've seen it, and it really isn't that I wanted to see it again, but I can't stand this sort of censorship.  If a parent is letting their kid watch the movie 911. Hearing a bad word certainly isn't going to keep them up at night or corrupt their morals.

I sent a strongly worded email expressing my disgust.  

End of rant for the day....

Ben

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »

I will not be around much tomorrow as I have a big project which was given to me on Saturday. I will start it tomorrow and should be done with it by Wednesday but it means very little peeking in at HHW.

Ben

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

We also have dear friends from Nottingham coming in on Tuesday. They have just finished a tour of the Midwest. They went to Minnesota especially to go to the State Fair. They also met my family (scary). This was last Saturday over Labor Day weekend. A good time was had by all if reports ring true. They are back in Minneapolis tonight and they will tour Coon Rapids and Anoka, MN tomorrow with one of my sisters. I grew up in Coon Rapids and Garrison Keillor is from Anoka. Cath (our English friend) is a HUGE Prairie Home Companion fan and wants to tred the same streets as Garrison. There isn't too much to see in Coon Rapids although my sister will take them to our old house. No one lives there anymore (from my family anyway, an unrelated, unknown family lives there now) but Cath wants to see it. They will be in NYC on Tuesday afternoon and evening and part of Wednesday before they board the plane to go back to Gedling (outside of Nottingham). It will be a treat to see them. They begin the merry troupe of visitors. The week after Cath and Maurice we have Tom and Colin and then soon after that our Iowa, Ohio and Oregon group arrives. T'will be a busy month.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

Hola!!

Busy tonight here at work and that is very odd for a Sunday. Also busy training in student workers. I have some crazy ones this year. Several have very spunky personalities. I like spunk!

Nice picture TPunk and I am glad you returned safely from California.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »

Forgot to add...

Good luck vibes to TPunk on starting her new job tomorrow... Knock 'em dead!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »

We also have dear friends from Nottingham coming in on Tuesday. They have just finished a tour of the Midwest. They went to Minnesota especially to go to the State Fair. They also met my family (scary). This was last Saturday over Labor Day weekend. A good time was had by all if reports ring true. They are back in Minneapolis tonight and they will tour Coon Rapids and Anoka, MN tomorrow with one of my sisters. I grew up in Coon Rapids and Garrison Keillor is from Anoka. Cath (our English friend) is a HUGE Prairie Home Companion fan and wants to tred the same streets as Garrison. There isn't too much to see in Coon Rapids although my sister will take them to our old house. No one lives there anymore (from my family anyway, an unrelated, unknown family lives there now) but Cath wants to see it. They will be in NYC on Tuesday afternoon and evening and part of Wednesday before they board the plane to go back to Gedling (outside of Nottingham). It will be a treat to see them. They begin the merry troupe of visitors. The week after Cath and Maurice we have Tom and Colin and then soon after that our Iowa, Ohio and Oregon group arrives. T'will be a busy month.

It sounds like your friends had a lovely time in the Twin Cities. I also am ahuge Garrison Keillor fans. An acquaintance of mine has worked on his show several times.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »

I'm really disgusted. Our CBS station isn't playing 911 - the one with the French film makers narrated by Robert DeNiro because there are some bad words in it that could offend.   OH please. I've seen it, and it really isn't that I wanted to see it again, but I can't stand this sort of censorship.  If a parent is letting their kid watch the movie 911. Hearing a bad word certainly isn't going to keep them up at night or corrupt their morals.

I sent a strongly worded email expressing my disgust.  

End of rant for the day....

That was stupid of the affiliate... It is a disaster, what do they expect people who are shocked to say 'ah shucks". Human nature does not work that way. I applaud you writing your affiliate. The local NBC one is usually the subject of my emails from time to time as is the local newspaper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up