Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DUDGEON  (Read 24671 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HIGH DUDGEON
« on: September 11, 2006, 12:21:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are feeling no high dudgeon, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're feeling a little dudgeon right now and trying to get over it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:27:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HIGH DUDGEON
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:22:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEREDITAMENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:24:06 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 12:27:29 AM »

As Dakota was saying:

Tempted to make corned beef soemtime down the road...

Yes - in a big pot with steamed potatoes, carrots and cabbage; served with lots of german mustard - rye bread with gobs of butter!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:47:02 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 12:31:46 AM »

TOTD:

Since I was working nights, I was lying on the couch watching the today show and was up earlier than usual due to back spasms. I was in a groggy state of mind until I heard the word of the World trade tower had been struck. I was quickly jarred out of my state of mind and watched as the events unfolded. I still remember vividly watching the smoke pouring out of the building and sitting there in complete and utter shock. It was not long after that the second trade tower was hit. It was tough watching that and I had tears in my eyes as I watched both towers collapse.

I went to work later in the afternoon, and they had a large telly in circulation broadcasting the events. IT was surreal in someways as we were all going through the emotions. I was numb and in shock.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:39 AM »

There is a country-western song written by Alan Jackson  about 9-11.

"Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning"
Where were you when the world stop turning on that September day
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I could
Tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love

Where were you when the world stop turning on that September day
Teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her
Did you dust off that Bible at home

Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened
And you close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I could
Tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:35:21 AM »

Speaking of Dino at the piano - here's a little something I picked up at the book fair yesterday.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 12:36:16 AM »

A number of Matt fans who live in NYC remember the day vividly and they are recounting their experiences on the Connotator. One gal actually watched from a bridge the towers came down.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 12:37:43 AM »

From Word Maven:

...dudgeon means, as you say, something like 'a feeling of offense or resentment; anger; indignation', and is almost always found in the phrase "in high dudgeon." The word is first recorded in the late sixteenth century.

I cannot, unfortunately, tell you the origin of the word. It is yet another in that large category labelled "origin unknown." One can make a few observations: a -udgeon ending is found in some other words (bludgeon, curmudgeon)--both of which are also of uncertain origin.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »

TOD:

On the evening of September 10th I had fallen asleep with the TV on, tuned to Fox News. I was just stiring when the first plane hit, and came wide awake at once!

I don't think I left the TV for close to a week!

Shortly I get to do it again - Fox is reruning their 9/11 broadcast starting at 8:30. It is fascinating to observe how the full horror of the day unfolds. After the first plane hit the discussion was about how could such an accident happen. When the second plane hits, there is some confusion over whether or not it is the earlier hit played from a diffrent angle. Then the relization that it was, indeed, another plane hitting the other tower. And the announcer says "This was no accident!!!!")

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 12:49:40 AM »

TOD:

On the evening of September 10th I had fallen asleep with the TV on, tuned to Fox News. I was just stiring when the first plane hit, and came wide awake at once!

Shortly I get to do it again - Fox is reruning their 9/11 broadcast starting at 8:30. It is fascinating to observe how the full horror of the day unfolds. After the first plane hit the discussion was about how could such an accident happen. When the second plane hits, there is some confusion over whether or not it is the earlier hit played from a diffrent angle. Then the relization that it was, indeed, another plane hitting the other tower. And the announcer says "This was no accident!!!!")

der Brucer

CNN is doin git also both broadcast and online...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 12:51:36 AM »

The aftermath of the 9-11 tragedy opened a lot of wounds from my freind Cassie who grew up in Belfast. She worked in education as a social worker and the faces she saw on the children and the heartache they faced opened wounds for her. She saw people blown up on a street in Belfast more than once. She still cannot watch the WTC footage. Her and husband lost several freinds and a cousin.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »

I was numb for a number of days... That initial night at work was heck and very difficult to concentrate on the tasks at hand.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 12:55:53 AM »

Interesting book bk...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 01:10:14 AM »

Bedtime - 'nite Dakota.

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 04:35:19 AM »

Good morning New Yorkers DRs Elmore & Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 04:37:02 AM »

Good Morning Tom. You will be easy to recognize :-)

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 04:40:12 AM »

MMMM I'll think about that Ben.  I won't be doing my Hugh Jackman impersonations.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 04:44:46 AM »

As Dakota was saying:Yes - in a big pot with steamed potatoes, carrots and cabbage; served with lots of german mustard - rye bread with gobs of butter!

der Brucer
Is this a hint?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 04:44:54 AM »

and Good morning S Woody.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:15 AM »

TOD:

Not that there's anything special about der B falling asleep with the news on - he does that all the time.

I had a doctor's appointment that day, so I didn't have to get up early.  Get up early I did, however, as der B came running into the room where I was, shouting for me to "get up and watch this!"

Der B did leave the TV, contrary to his memory.  He drove me to the doctor's appointment, where I was shocked to find out that the doctor didn't care one whit about what was happening.

der Brucer
So, he'll be up before I leave for work?  With the vampire hours he's been keeping lately?   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:57 AM »

Good Morning, good Tomovoz!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 04:59:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEREDITAMENT!
ETHER AND TIME do not a HEREDITAMENT make.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 05:10:57 AM »

When Cornelius went to see his boss, the foolish boy ENTREATED HIM to include him in the HEREDITAMENT.  Horace became so enraged by this affrontery that HE TERMINATED Cornelius and left everything to Barnaby instead.  Ambrose didn't care - he had his painting to support himself and Ermingarde - and Ermingarde had long since learned better than to give the MARTINET HEED.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 05:11:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a short trek to Toyland and then a 3 hour rehearsal with the SINGING NUN band.  For some reason I keep thinking today is Labor Day rather than 9/11, but perhaps it's my denial.

I flew to London early in Sept, 2001, my second first-class trip on British Airways that year, to record Victor Herbert's THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER as a part of the Packard Humanities Institute's American Musical Theatre Project, with the London Sinfonietta and a conductor whose ego was out of contol and whose whims refused to follow a daily schedule: as a result, on the morning of 9/11, George Dvorsky and Hugh Panaro, playing the Montgomery & Stone roles, had been waiting all morning around the studio at Henry Wood Hall.  

After our lunch break, George and Hugh went to the manager's office to kill the time by watching television.   This would have been around 1:30 PM, London time, which was around 8:30 AM EDT.  I don't remember what we were recording at the time, but one of them came into the booth to announce that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center.  I thought that perhaps a small plane had lost its bearings and crashed, but because the maestro had made the recordng studio so unpleaant and tense, I thought it would be fun to hang out with George and Hugh watching the reports on a New York event.  I didn't know then that Myra, my best friend Matthew's ex-fiance from Boston, was one of the passengers.

I got to the office to learn that the plane hadn't been a small plane but a large aircraft and I sat spellbound watching the second plane hit and the fall of the two towers.  It was like watching a sci fi movie and I had a hard time believing that I was watching events taking place in my hometown.  I believe I stayed glued to the tv for several hours, at which point I ran to the phone and called my goddaughter's family; Ron was in California singing that weekend in a concert, Charlotte was at school but now trapped in the Bronx since all the bridges and tunnels leading to Manhattan were closed, and Dona said she was fine but not leaving the apartment.

Everyone in the studio - Donna Lynne Champlin, Rosemary Harris, Hugh and George, Jack Dabdoub, and the USA staff spent several hours wondering how friends we knew who worked at the Trade Center or in the vicinity might be, there was a lot of crying and a lot of anxiety about friends who were to fly to London on 9/11 for the project: tenor Jeffrey Lentz, my music prep colleague Curtis Moore, Betty Auman from the LoC.

Curtis had the worst of it: his 9:15 am British Airways flight hit the runway, sped up to fly, slowed down, turned around and went back to the terminal.  It took him the rest of the day trying to get back to his apartment in the Village; a taxi from JFK finally left him in the Bronx, where he walked across the bridge with his luggage.  His World Trade Center casualty was the ex-boyfriend of a friend, living near the Trade Center, who has not been found.  We think he went out to check on the situation and the  building fell on him.

A friend of mine and DR Ginny's worked in the building that collapsed later in the day around 4 PM.  I had my brother call his mother to check on him.  His management wisely evacuated after the first plane crash.  I wish the other companies had followed that bit of wisdom.

Beyond all these concerns, the other worrying those of us stuck in London - my return flight was scheduled for Sept 22 -  was how and when we might return to the States.  We had no idea what would happen next, from war to more terror activities.  Luckily we had work to do, a good group of people - except for the maestro and a recording producer whose hygiene suggested he bathed once a month if he really needed it - and a nice hotel on Oxford Street, where each of us retired every evening to follow the events on the news.  Rosemary Harris, one of the great ladies, couldn't fly back to the States, so every day she would come to the studio and hang out with us, cheering the singers after a take and helping to lighten our spirits.  

As well as a great London staff - from the Sinfonietta players and personnel to Alison Fox and the recording crew - we also had wonderful performers in London on the project - Rosemary Ashe, Kim Criswell, Simon Green - whose energy and sympathy who helped the time pass as pleasantly as possble.  God bless them each and every one.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 05:28:57 AM »

When I got back to New York after the most frightening flight I've ever been on, I had jury duty the first week of October.  Coming out of the subway not far from the courthouse was like entering a war zone:  blockades and police everywhere.  Looking down to the end of the island, instead of the towers, there was this heavy layer of ash, smoke, and dust.  I was luckily only on jury duty for four days or so, and I say luckily because I hated the walk to and from the courthouse every day becuase it was depressing:  weeping profusely, I muttered "God bless you" to every police and fire personnel I passed coming and going.  

On a lighter note, in response to DR Cillaliz' post about the affiliate not carrying the 9/11 documentary, I love the freedom of British television:  the first plance crash caught on videotape shown by the BBC was a videotaping of a construction crew - Con Ed, I recall - and a sudden explosion, at which sound the camera turned to the Trade Center with the burning hole in its middle and an exclamation of "Holy shit!!" by the camera man.  This footage was shown for a full week at regular intervals and no one in England seemed dismayed by the expletive.  The BBC also showed footage of people jumping from the Towers, and I don't know if any of that was seen here or not.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 05:38:30 AM »

I remember watching the jumpers that morning, as it happened.  I don't think the footage was repeated very often.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 05:53:49 AM »

Come to think of it, it was the footage of those stranded in the upper floors jumping from the buildings that disturbed me most, and the doctor's lack of response that led to my walking out of that office later that day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 06:14:07 AM »

When we recorded, for the same project, Jerome Kern's wonderful 1917 show HAVE A HEART, there was lyric to the song "It's a Sure Sure Sign":
  If you wake in nine-eleven
  When your room is six-o-seven
  It's a sure sure sign

When we did the retake with Kim Criswell in Sept 2002, it was decided to change the room number to five-eleven.  Whoever thought then that five years later several of these recordings would still be looking for a release date?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:14:45 AM by elmore3003 »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 06:23:14 AM »

I was at the office reading HHW before starting work when one of the women here got a call to turn on the television.  We did, and the rest is history...
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up