Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DUDGEON  (Read 25281 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:HIGH DUDGEON
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:41 PM »

My alarm went off at about two minutes to six that morning.  I started work later in those days.  The disc jockey on the morning show I listened to was a well-known Seattle personality and comedian.  However, that morning, the first thing I heard him say in a very hushed and serious tone was, "My friends, the unthinkable has just occured.  An airplane has crashed into the World Trade Center."

I jumped out of bed and ran into the living room and turned on the television.  I was still trying to take in the whole situation when suddenly I thought they we rerunning footage of the plane hitting the tower.  As I watched this plane crashing into the tower, I realized that wasn't previous footage; because the other tower was already in flames.

After almost a half of an hour of watching the events unfold on TV, I realized that I had been standing there in the middle of the living room, only about two feet away from my recliner.  But, I couldn't make myself sit down; I just stood there looking at the screen.  When I realized that I was about to be late for work, I picked up the phone and called one of  my co-workers who came in to work earlier than I.  I was talking to him, trying to explain all the things I was seeing on the television when the first tower started to collapse.

I eventually went to work, and in the evening I went to the dress rehearsal of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, which was scheduled to open on Thursday evening.  it was a tough decision, but we all voted to go ahead and open on time.  Like Jrand56 said, it was tough to do the show that weekend, but those who came to see it all said how grateful they were for the laughter.  

If I close my eyes, I can still the people jumping or falling from the towers that morning.  That is still my worst memory of that day.  I had been to Windows on the World a number of times, as well as the observation deck in the other tower, so I knew how incredibly high those buildings were.  When I lived in New Jersey, the first thing I saw from my bedroom window each morning was The World Trade Center.  And, at night, the lights in those towers were my own personal nightlights.  It is difficult to imaigne New York without them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »

When I lived in New Jersey, the first thing I saw from my bedroom window each morning was The World Trade Center.  And, at night, the lights in those towers were my own personal nightlights.  It is difficult to imaigne New York without them.

Strange how when we are confronted with NYC city scapes in movies or TV, the WTC is so very conspicuous by its absense; and stranger yet, when older films use shots of the bowery and the imposing WTC as "establishing" shots.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2006, 09:29:15 PM »

The magic hour has passed - the five year anniversary has come and gone.

All is well.

God bless us one and all.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2006, 10:56:55 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2006, 11:11:39 PM »

Lovely picture derBrucer....

Like the avvie Cilla! Very nice!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2006, 11:13:46 PM »

When I lived in New Jersey, the first thing I saw from my bedroom window each morning was The World Trade Center.  And, at night, the lights in those towers were my own personal nightlights.  It is difficult to imaigne New York without them.

Di2teach, who posted a Deceit review here, also lives in Northern New Jersey and that was her landmark each day going to work. It was incredible sight in the early morning as the sun came up.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2006, 11:14:37 PM »

Strange how when we are confronted with NYC city scapes in movies or TV, the WTC is so very conspicuous by its absense; and stranger yet, when older films use shots of the bowery and the imposing WTC as "establishing" shots.

der Brucer

der Brucer, you are right, it is really eerie seeing those movies now...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2006, 11:15:48 PM »

der Brucer, have you ever been to Coney Island?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

I have a neat movie I may go and watch tonight, It is a copy of Stella Dallas a freind had on tape and she is loaning it to me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »

I may rent Casablanca from the library. Is anyone familiar with the movie, An American in Paris?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »

Another movie on my list is the Americanization of Emily with James Garner.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »

Anybody here?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2006, 11:34:51 PM »

I guess I have to carry on to get to 200!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2006, 11:35:58 PM »

Leaves are starting to show hints of fall colour...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2006, 11:37:46 PM »

Have you ever been skiing bk?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »

Political commercials are in full swing here and they are really beginning to annoy me!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2006, 11:44:46 PM »

with the ubiquitous "I approve this message" at the end of each one!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:29 PM »

Has anyone ever ridden a Llama?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:56 PM »

Has anyone tried the dark chocolate M&M's yet?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:59:23 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2006, 12:00:10 AM »

I would like to see Sweeney Todd someday...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2006, 12:00:39 AM »

I made it to 200!!!!

HOORAY!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2006, 12:07:35 AM »

I've never ridden a llama (don't ask about my one horse-riding experience... :P it wasn't pleasant), but I LOVE the dark chocolate M&Ms!
;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2006, 12:13:17 AM »

do tell ;) -- Just teasin' George...

I love the dark chocolate M&Ms... They are great!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2006, 12:13:58 AM »

I enjoy horsebackriding...

George

« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2006, 12:14:29 AM »

Have you ever had the dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses?  Those are even better than the M&Ms...in my humble opinion. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2006, 12:16:08 AM »

Came across a curious obit: The woman had 8 surnames...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2006, 12:16:42 AM »

Have you ever had the dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses?  Those are even better than the M&Ms...in my humble opinion. :D

Those are just evil.... err good!

George

« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2006, 12:17:27 AM »

Tomorrow, my sister is having the vanity in the bathroom replaced (where I'm living now, and soon to move out of).  I have to clear a path before I go to bed because I don't know what time Mr. Jackson (a friend of my parents') is coming over to swap it out.

George

« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »

I just need to move boxes, so it won't take too long.

George

« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2006, 12:18:24 AM »

And most of the boxes are empty, so I'm not complaining, at all. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up