Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DUDGEON  (Read 24728 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:HIGH DUDGEON
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2006, 03:07:21 PM »

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »

Sakes alive.

It's page five!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »

Where was I when I first heard of the terrorist attacks?

I was on an elevator here at work with a co-worker and a third person....who made a shocking comment as the doors opened on his floor.  When he saw how  confused we were, he held the doors and told us what had happened.  It was about 8:15 a.m. pdt here...well after the buildings had collapsed.

It was a lot to take in....and at the time, there was still concern that other planes might be enroute to other targets.

The president was flying (and catching flak from Peter Jennings for being airborne for so long while the nation reeled in anguish).

Ah, yes...I remember it well.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »

I was riding the subway on my way into the city when the first plane hit.  I got to work completely oblivious until the mailclerk came by and told me to look out the window (we could see a lot of smoke from the 38th floor) and turn on the tv.  A coworker called from downstairs and told me that they were evacuating the building and weren't letting anyone in.  I called Tom before leaving and we made plans to meet across town at his office.  I met up with my co-worker and we began to walk across town checking out tv monitors as we went.  I can't remember if this was on the way to meet Tom or with him on our way back across town, but as we peered downtown while crossing the street we saw a huge explosion which I later realized was the second tower collapsing.  My friend and co-worker decided to make her way to penn station to see if she could get home to Long Island.  Tom and I found our way onto a bus that was heading uptown.  We rode on it from 42nd to about 100th street.  The bus was completely packed and totally silent.  It was a truly eerie experience and actually somewhat calming.  We got off the bus and walked the remaining 90 or so blocks home to my apartment.  Tom was due to move in about 2 weeks later.  When we got home Tom watched a lot of news coverage and cried.  I tried my best to comfort him but stayed away from watching anything myself.  We ate a lot of brownie sundaes.  The only good thing about that day was the phone calls we got from around the country from our family and friends to make sure that we were okay.  We were both fortunate not to have lost anyone close to us.

Two days later I went back to work but left a few hours later after the building was again evacuated.  Apparently there had been a lot of bomb threats called in to highrises in midtown- the Viacom building was considered a target.  I like a lot of other New Yorkers felt very motivated to volunteer, to do something.  I called to donate blood but was told they were overwhelmed and would call back in a month or so.  That friday I walked by the Hard Rock Cafe and saw that they had closed the restaurant and were instead making hundreds of sandwiches to bring downtown for the rescue workers.  I worked for a few hours but then had to clear out to make room for dozens of new volunteers.

It took the city a long time to recover, if it ever really did.  I was surprised not to hear any mention of it today when I was at the Jewish Board, a social service agency, all day for orientation.  I will not be watching any of the tv programs marking the anniversary.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »

You look like you've just accepted a medal for figure skating.

Did I mention that our high school production was actually Carousel on Ice?  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »

Did I mention that our high school production was actually Carousel on Ice?  ;D

If you did, I missed it.

Very funny!

:D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »

With regard to the Alan Jackson song, funny that it should be posted, as Rodzinski and I were just discussing it the other day.  I can appreciate the emotion behind it, but have a huge problem with the lyric about not being able to tell the difference between Iran and Iraq- I think there are a lot of folks who don't bother to make the distinction (some of them in key positions of power) but it's an important one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »

I will not be watching any of the tv programs marking the anniversary.

Nor will I.  It's much too soon to go though all that again.

And much of what is happening...IMO...is politically motivated...to remind of us all of the devastation and HOW LIKELY IT IS WE WILL AGAIN BE ATTACKED.

That's like raising the terrorist level one step higher to deflect attention from some Bush administration snafu/foulup/mistake.

Now that it's an election year, it's time to remind everyone how UNPREPARED we remain and how important it is to STAY THE COURSE of the current incompetence level.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »

So, I'm flipping through channels looking for an interesting informercial, and I recognize Matt Ashford on NBC - Days of Our Lives. I thought he was fired -- or drove off a cliff or something. What gives?

Here is the lowdown...

Matt was let go when Missy's contract was up August 18. She moved to Tennessee. The infinite idiots in charge cannot see Jack alone as an entity but as only part of a couple.  Stephen Nichols, who has a blog seems convinced that Matt will be back. [Not holding my breath on this one, Days has burned the viewers and fans one too many times.]

Yes, Jack did go off the bridge in NOvember and then they brought him back from the dead---again! AFter they they sidelined him again along with Missy. The writer at that time was James E. REilly and to what we can see, did not like Matt. Then May came around and stories started flying fast and furious taht REilly was out. AS of the middle of June, Reilly was out and HOgan Scheffer was hired. However until Hogie took over in August, Beth Milstein was the interim writer.  With the news of Hogie comnig on we had hopes that despite Missy leaving that Hogie would keep Matt.  It was Corday's decision to fire Matt and the only fan favorite that was fired.

A soap often films episodes up to three weeks in advance to allow for editing and distribution. Matt's last taping date was August 18, thus making his last air date on September 21. According to the Canadian listings he should be on at least two more times this week and probably two or three times next week.  Many of the fans on Matt's board will probably see the last eppy on the 20th as we get the lowdown from the Canadians viewers.

Many viewers are angry as heck about Matt being let go and are disgusted beyond belief. Many will quit watching Days as of the 21st for the sick and tired of seeing Matt being used and kicked by DAys. His fans support him, but no longer the show. Sad really, many wanted to see a story develop between Matt's character Jack and STephen Nichols' character, Steve Johnson. Their characters are brothers and man the stories that could have been mined from that relationship.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:02:33 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »

I know being fired is part of the nature of the beast but constantly picking on one actor gets a bit old and the fans can only take so much. I no longer have respect for Days of our Lives in its present state.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »

Another thing that irritates many viewers and not only Matt's fans is that Matt's name has not been listed in the credits for over a year. IMHO, that is a kick in the teeth to any actor.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2006, 04:16:13 PM »

My feelings and those of other fans are not of anger at Matt but of support. WE are disgusted with TPTB and others associated with Days. Rumour has that Hogan wanted Matt but Corday overruled him.

jhvw

« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »

Good evening everyone, just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Haven't had time to go back and read through the post but I'm sure I'll get some freetime later. Other than that it was quite the weekend, charles bukowski style. I'm slowly recovering today and getting back to my normal self. Crazyness in the ozarks.

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »

TPunk, how was your vacation? Hope you had a relaxing time.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »

I apologize for being so long winded... Sorry...

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »

TPunk, how was your vacation? Hope you had a relaxing time.

Vacation was great, a mix of relaxation by the pool, shopping and sunshine.  I'm glad I went!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

And the word of the day is: HEREDITAMENT!

Isn't that someone who is born with one of each?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2006, 04:52:01 PM »

Crazyness in the ozarks.

It isn't it genetic?

der brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »

Thanks, DakotaCelt. Sometimes I would leave the tv on while I puttered around the house, and I never saw Matt. Then when I didn't expect it at all, I saw him.

I wondered if maybe they were showing whatever was on five years ago -- the shows that were on and their being interrupted with newcasts. Or something like that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »

I'm back from a really long session with Mr. Geissman.  Helping work on Cissy's book was not part of my plans for this week, and it has really put me behind - but Grant is comfortable with me doing it, and knows that my eye is really good about style issues (many style issues involved here).  So, I was there from noon till four-fifteen.  Now I must do some writing, some Xeroxing and some catching up.

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2006, 04:57:45 PM »

HOO AND RAY!!!! I found them! I found them! I found them!!!

First I looked in the place I thought they would be...no luck, but I did find my wedding ring...didn't even know it was missing, lol. It fits like a pinkie ring now.  So I kept looking.  In the very back of my closet I found my big wild colored cat bag and what did I find inside.....jewelry!  Both of the missing necklaces plus a bunch of costume jewelry that I have also been looking for, but didn't really care if it was missing.  I vaguely remember putting it back there so it would be safe and out of the way when everything was moved in. It was out of the way all right.

So, now that I found my necklaces...my mother wants to know if anyone knows where her emerald ring is...she can't find it anywhere.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2006, 05:02:39 PM »

Congrats on the finding of the jewelry!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »

I apologize for being so long winded... Sorry...

DakotaCelt, you should know by now that you NEVER have to apologize "for being so long winded"...ever! ;) Post away without apologies! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2006, 05:10:11 PM »

Congrats on the finding of the jewelry!

Thanks George, I'm very relieved and pleased

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2006, 05:11:05 PM »

Plus I received a wonderful CD in the mail today from a place called Kritzerland.   That was quick!

George

« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »

Plus I received a wonderful CD in the mail today from a place called Kritzerland.   That was quick!

Ooo!!  I hope I get mine today, too! :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »

Great news about the necklaces, DR CILLALIZ!  Cat bag!  To foil the Cat Burglars no doubt.

Again I would say - check pockets for the emerald ring.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:21 PM »

I have SEVEN SAMARAI on vhs.....and DR MBARNUM sent me one of the Trilogy of Samarai films starring Mr Mifune....so I bought THAT set on VHS for a low price.....very good films....in COLOR!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »

No Sondheim in Indiana as yet.

Ben

« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »

No Sondheim in New York either but it has to come through my mail room. I do get to see the mail holders before they go up to the 4th floor so it may be in the box tomorrow. I hope so!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up