Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SENOR BK'S THURSDAY ADVENTURE  (Read 18417 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SENOR BK'S THURSDAY ADVENTURE
« on: September 15, 2006, 12:19:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were muy bueno, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're doing the Mexican Hat Dance and they can't be bothered now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:33:49 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SENOR BK'S THURSDAY ADVENTURE
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:21:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: WAMBLE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:17:43 AM »

CD: 1. Simply Sondheim  - a 75th Birthday Salute
       2. Simply Sondheim - gay men's chorus of LA
       3. Bossa Nova for Lovers
       4. Spotlight on Dolores Gray
       5. Jason Howard - Make Believe - The Hollywood Baritones

DVD:  Laat watched was "Calendar Girls.  We were going to follow that with Colander Girls but it would have been too much of a Strain.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: WAMBLE!
"After eating some tainted LAMB, WE found our stomach to be in a total WAMBLE," Elizabeth said in her most royal tones.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:25:15 AM »

CD player (car) - Simply Sondheim (I think there's going to be a lot of votes for this one!)

DVD player -

Der B and I scored a bunch of DVDs this week.  He purchased The Sentinel (Douglas and Sutherland, the second generation), Elizabeth I, and The Last of Sheila (at last replacing our VCR copy!)

I, on the other hand, came across a bunch of Doctor Who tales on sale at Sam's Club, each for less than $10!  I limited myself to just three (and hopefully there will be others still in stock when we head there again in a month's time): The Three Doctors (Jon Pertwee joined by Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell), Pyramids of Mars (Tom Baker), and Earthshock (Peter Davison).

Happy happy happy!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 05:26:26 AM »

Good morning, all!  To quote Ella the Cimney Sweep, "My piggy is empty."  The IRS estimated tax payment has wiped me out and I am praying to God that one of my outstanding invoices pays up this weekend.  I've been looking for one from Salt Lake City since Monday, but not yet.

Outside of that, time is fugiting quickly:  I've got visitors from Oz, not Toyland, next week and before too much longer, the October invasion.  On the sadder side of things, my brother Randy called me last night:  our suspicions last month were correct:  test confirmed my Dad did have a mild stroke which has affected his motor skills on the right side of his body.  On Tuesday, en route to his doctor's office he fell, scraped his face and arm, but luckily broke nothing.  I   spoke to him before I left for the performance and he sounds good, positive, and strong.  I'll know more when I get back in October to see him.

TOD:
  CD:  a compilation of all my Sondheim work for BK, the new Sondheim CD from Kritzerland, the complete French version of Verdi's DON CARLO.
  DVD:  a couple of operas
  VCR:  the cheap stuff
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 05:39:43 AM »

I do hope our esteemed Senor BK gets to ride the LA Subway again.  The stations are each designed with a different artistic flair, some successfully and some less so, but it does make travelling under the city more interesting, and easier to spot where you are once you recognize the artworks.  Quite different from the Washington DC system, where every station looks the same, like some underground gulag.

As for the fines, I never had to pay one for not having a ticket, but that's because I always had my pass with me back when I was using the LA Transit System for my daily commute.  I did witness a number of people getting caught, however, when the Transit Police did their sweeps.

I remember a time when there had been an accident that held things up on the Blue Line, an above-ground light rail companion to the underground Red Line.  These accidents happen because the Blue Line has to cross several city streets for part of it's route to Long Beach, and there are drivers who are bound and determined that they can dash in front of the train and not get hit.  They get hit.

Well, there was quite a crowd at the Downtown station, waiting to get on the train when it arrived.  Most riders are very polite, and stand to the side of the train's doors while those on-board get off.  There was this one lady (and I use the term loosely) who pushed her way through the surge of off-loaders... and actually pushed me out of her way, even though I was waiting to the side.

I was agast!  Once on board, finding myself sitting near to where she had plopped herself, I asked her why she had been to impatient.  "I had every right!  No one else is complaining!  What is it to you?  I've had a bad day!" she snarled.   I just shook my head and settled down for the ride home.

Guess whose day got worse when the Transit Police made a sweep through the train.

There is such a thing as karma.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 05:42:24 AM »

...TOD:
  CD:...the new Sondheim CD from Kritzerland,...
See?  SEE???  What did I tell everyone?  That's three for three so far!!!

Good morning, Elmore.  Hope things go better for you today.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:51:02 AM »

Memo to myself to remind der Brucer that we have to take the camera with us tomorrow.  If our dear DR Jose can't post, we can at least get a charming mug shot or two of his charming mug.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 05:58:34 AM »

And with that, I must ready myself for work again.  Have a woderful day, everyone!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:00:57 AM »

Hey, Woody!  Thanks for the good wishes.  I hope you have a great day, too!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 06:20:53 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today's an information waitressing day for me.  Tonight, DH Richard and I have to go to the Cincinnati airport to pick up my mother and her Alaska cruise traveling companion.

TOD -  

CD:Yesterday and the day before I listened to Simply Sondheim in the car - does that count, DR SWW?  Today I had to listen to The University of Michigan Marching Band A Saturday Tradition to counteract the 24 hours I'd spent in OSU Buckeye territory.

DVD - Kevin Spirtas Nights and Days
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 06:21:36 AM »

DR Elmore - do you have definite Ohio plans for October?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 06:25:09 AM »

DR Elmore - do you have definite Ohio plans for October?

Nope.  I haven't even picked dates or thought about a plane ticket!

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 07:41:40 AM »

Good morning all.
TOD: OCR Grey Gardens - it is much more wonderful and upbeat than I expected
         Simply Sondheim - from Kritzerland, of course
DVD, VCR - empty right now

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 07:42:18 AM »

DR Elmore, glad to hear things went pretty well last night.  Best wishes for the rest of the run

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 07:43:26 AM »

DR Elmore, glad your dad did not suffer and broken bones! Sending vibes your way...use as you wish.

Cillaliz

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 07:43:55 AM »

I'm having a bit of a lazy day today. Now we have 2 people out with the crud.  I'm using lots of Purell and hoping I don't get it

Cillaliz

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 07:44:17 AM »

VIBES FOR DR ELMORE'S DAD

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »

I am getting a hair cut over the lunch hour. It's on the other side of town, so I'm thinking maybe I'll have to stop and get a pork tenderloin sandwich somewhere on the way back.  

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 07:46:54 AM »

TOD:

CD:
The musical soundtracks to INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN, IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, and WORLD WITHOUT END courtesy of DR JRand56! Thanks Jack!!

DVR:
ARE YOU BEING SERVED. I was addicted to this show back in the early 90s when it ran on PBS. I came across it again on BBC America and am addicted all over again.

DVD: I don't know just now, but I do have plenty to choose from

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 07:48:06 AM »

Soon it's gonna rain, I  can feel it, soon it's gonna rain, I can tell.

Well actually I can see dark clouds rolling in (my office has a great view for storm watching). The storms aren't supposed to get here until tonight...hmm.

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 07:54:26 AM »

George, love the new avitar!

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 07:58:04 AM »

Just saw that part of A & E Breakfast with the Arts on Sunday the 17th is a look at The FANTASTICKS.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day here, this morning with no clouds and just pure blue sky. Gorgeous.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:06:43 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »

Sorry to read your news about your dad, DR Elmore, but glad to read that the fall wasn't any more serious than it appears. Keep us posted.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »

Yep, I enjoyed the new avatar, DR George. And congratulations about getting in the show!

FJL

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 08:09:39 AM »

Larry - So glad last night went so well for you guys.  Congrats!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 08:10:20 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - SUMMER STOCK/I THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (soundtracks)

DVD - AN EVENING WITH MARLENE DIETRICH (last 20 minutes)
          THE FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS
          SPY GAME

DVR - BRIEF ENCOUNTER
          SHOCK TREATMENT
          THE SEVEN HILLS OF ROME
          THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS
          last night's THE OFFICE

laserdisc - SHANGHAI EXPRESS
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:11:01 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »

Off to get cleaned up for my usual Friday errands

WBBL.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up