Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE FRENCH HENS  (Read 20856 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THREE FRENCH HENS
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2003, 10:13:26 AM »

Okay this is as mean as I get.

We had a huge storm on Sunday night and my neighbor was using his snow tractor at midnight and making huge amounts of noise. Well his tractor (which annoys me) does not lift snow, it only pushes it.

And he pushed huge amounts of snow onto the street (which he is not allowed to do). HE put it beside my driveway, leaving a huge mess.

Well we had more snow last night.  And this morning the snow plow came and plowed that entire HUGE pile of snow from the street RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS DRIVEWAY.

It made me so happy :)

A perfect example of the word I suggested for Tuesday's Topic o' the Day:  schadenfreude.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2003, 10:15:23 AM »

We've got perusers, we've got peepers, but we don't got posters.  I'm sitting in Edit Bay 2 addressing network notes and also addressing Christmas envelopes and now I'm addressing you, dear readers: NO LULLS.

Jay

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2003, 10:22:44 AM »

Mame - Roseanne Barr
Vera - Maggie Smith
Beaureguard - Dom DeLuise
Gloria Upson - Jennifer Lopez
Young Patrick - The kid from Bad Santa
Older Patrick -  Ben Affleck
Gooch - Madonna
Mr. Upson - Steve Lawrence
Mrs. Upson - Eydie Gorme
Ito - Alec Mapa

Emily

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2003, 10:30:12 AM »

Emily's Executive Notes on Previewing American Movies in Canada

1) Canadians like sports (i.e. Hockey)
2) Canadians like seeing movies about sports (i.e. Hockey)
3) Canadians don't like seeing Americans winning sporting (i.e. Hockey) competitions instead of them.  But they can survive if the main theme of the movie is not nationalistic pride and if the USSR and not them is the movie's "bad guy"
**4) Never ever ever show a preview for a movie about the 1980- US Olympic Hockey Team's Gold Medal win over the USSR with the final voice over "THE BEST GAME EVER.  THE BEST PLAYERS EVER.  THE BIGGEST DAY IN SPORTS HISTORY" to a Montreal crowd who had been waiting in the snow and sleet to see LOTR III for two hours

I expect all of you in California to head over to New Line right now and pass on these rules.  I have never seen so many angry handfuls of popcorn thrown at the movie screen at once.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Andrea

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »

Alright, as I sit here bored out of my mind writing my last paper, I want to know: who on earth is davidbodavid?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2003, 10:38:50 AM »

DR Emily - Three cheers for the booing Montreal crowd. I'm very fond of Montreal audiences. I was going to write more, but am having some back pain today and sitting - even in my state-of-the-art (and who the hell is Art and why does he have a whole state and which state is it and what does that have to do with my chair?) Herman Miller office chair ("like sitting on air") is hurting. So au-revoir.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:40:45 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2003, 10:43:43 AM »

DR Andrea has been embossed!

LOL DR EMILY - I agree I wish that sometimes movie producers could be in the audience when the previews for their efforts are shown.  Some of my favorite reactions have been to "Tidal Wave", "The Car", "Mommie Dearest", and "Yentl."  

The interview with Stephanie J Block is terrific.  Thanks to MR BK and Ms Block for sharing with us.  Yes, it's true....it's all true.  Hopefully Ms Block will be on the Tony Awards show in a number from BOY FROM OZ....wouldn't that be terrific?????

GRRRRRRRRRR  DRMBARNUM - Aradhana did NOT have subtitles.....but I enjoyed Kati Patang a LOT....even with the train wreck from "The Greatest Show on Earth."

Raheesh Khanna.....meow!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2003, 10:50:26 AM »

DR PANNI - speaking of "sitting on air", remember the

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]1958 Edsel[/move]

As the television commercial said:

"With it's unique air suspension, it's like riding on air -- BECAUSE YOU ARE!!!"

And so you are sitting on the Edsel of furniture....because you ARE!

Diane

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2003, 10:55:44 AM »

OMG! That just might be the ugliest car ever :P

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Day One And All!![/move]

I'll post my  Mame casting in a bit..
I LOVE A Piano....

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2003, 10:55:52 AM »

Good morning all
I am writing on my brank spanking new laptop!  It's beautiful.  A surprise christmas gift from my father.  Soon I must dash off to my last day of work in the bookstore.  Yay!
The not-so-yay part of my day is that I have to get my apartment CLEAN and pack for my trip.  Blah to that, I say.
The sun is out and it's a beautiful day...a rare and appreciated treat in the Northwest at this time of year

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2003, 11:01:50 AM »

Here is me and my family at my recital.  I finally got the CD's of it...it sounds pretty good!  From left to right - My sister's boyfriend Joey, my sister, me, my mother, and my father.  

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2003, 11:05:24 AM »

No subtitles! Doggone it! Well you can get the subtitled version of ARADHANA for about $3.99 on Nehaflix, should you decided to give it another go.

Now you must see Rajesh Khanna in ANAND...probably one of the most emotional films I have ever, ever seen! Go get it now, you will simply fall in love with him...as I have!

....and how were you able to see these movies...is someone playing hooky from work today!! You lucky!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2003, 11:06:54 AM »

DR Matt,

As a followup to the "Bent" reference: Martin Sherman, its playwright, did the book for "Boy from Oz" (which, despite what the critics had to say, I found quite effective).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2003, 11:10:38 AM »

If you want to know more about our latest registered user, simply go into the profile and check out his website - fun.

Andrea

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2003, 11:21:34 AM »

If you want to know more about our latest registered user, simply go into the profile and check out his website - fun.

And so I did.

Mr. Daviddavidbobavid... you simply must post now! You sound absolutely facinating!

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2003, 11:29:19 AM »

A perfect example of the word I suggested for Tuesday's Topic o' the Day:  schadenfreude.

Okay the only problem is I don't remember what that means.  I hope it doesn't mean i'm a witch for being amused :)

(anyhow we all know that said neighbor will probably just use his tractor and put it all back!)

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2003, 11:37:53 AM »

I am listening to the soundtracks from the Bollywood films AN EVENING IN PARIS and LOVE IN TOKYO. My co-workers keep coming over and making fun of me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2003, 11:42:30 AM »

I am sitting in Edit Bay 2 and I need more posts to read.  I'm sorry, but there you are.   I need posts for my mental delectation, otherwise I shall go mad and become a drooling raving lunatic.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2003, 11:43:23 AM »

Nice photo, Ann!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2003, 11:48:45 AM »

Thank you, TCB :)
One last post before I head off to work, because we wouldn't want BK turning into a mad raving lunatic...it would be unseemly.  There are already enough of those around here :D
Question for all the college student DR's...do you ever get the feeling that the book selling people are screwing us over??  I mean, we HAVE to buy the books...and they don't come cheap, then we sell them back, and get a tiny tiny fraction of the original price.  And yes, I know about buying them at places like half.com...I do it all the time, and it's still expensive.  Example - I bought an art history book for $89 dollars, used.  I will sell it back for $5 because a new edition is coming out for next year and mine is useless.  Arghh!!  I saw a girl actually start to cry when she sold her books back yesterday...some people count on that extra money for traveling home...

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2003, 11:55:02 AM »

We just put up our tree.  I  probably won't have time to decorate it until Sat evening, so the lights will have to do for now.  This is my last day before Christmas (and Hanukah, for that matter) to get everything done.  Maybe I could be cloned for the day (Clone for a Day-- the 21st century version of Queen for a Day perhaps?)
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2003, 12:00:43 PM »

ANN, if your sister's boyfriend needs anybody to practice the finer points of kissing, etc. with, tell him to call me.  I'd be happy to doante my time and energy-- sacrifice that it might be.  But then, that's the kind of giving guy I am!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2003, 12:01:35 PM »

Nice picture, Ann!

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2003, 12:04:31 PM »

DR Kerry:Love the idea of "Clone for the day". It would be useful for a few days a year. I would be able to use on Christmas day so I could be where I would like to be rather than be by obligation. Families!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2003, 12:07:30 PM »

Okay the only problem is I don't remember what that means.  I hope it doesn't mean i'm a witch for being amused :)

(anyhow we all know that said neighbor will probably just use his tractor and put it all back!)

It means taking pleasure from others' misfortune.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2003, 12:16:57 PM »

I am shocked that our poor dear perennially cast Carol is so far missing from the revisal of Mame.  Perhaps:

Mame:  Carol Channing
Vera:    Barbara Cook
Young Patrick:  Jim Carey on his knees
Older Patrick:  Jim Carey standing up
Agnes:  Julie Andrews
Beauregard:  Al Sharpton
Mr. Babcock:  Hugh Jackman
Mr. Upson:  Ben Affleck
Mrs. Upson:  Ben Affleck
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2003, 12:20:12 PM »

Good afternoon.

-I would have said Good Morning, but my dial up connection was unusally, painfully slow this morning... So I took an e-break, and now everything seems to be up to speed - so to speak.

Boy, what a treat it was to sleep in my own bed last night!  My third night this week!  Alas, not consecutive, but I'll be back to consecutive nights come January after CAMELOT closes.  *Although it looks like I just picked up another short gig up in DC that would take me into the New Year - It would start the Monday after Christmas, so I'd be doing double duty for the last week of CAMELOT - rehearsing during the day, and show at night.  More money for New York City!  -New York City?!?!?!?

Congrats to all those DRs who have finished up this portion of the academic year and/or their academic life!  Nothing like that feeling when you're walking out of your last exam, and it hits you, "I'm finished!"

As for Mame casting...  I've actually never really been in to Jerrry Herman musicals - except for maybe Mack & Mabel - and that's solely based on the various recordings out there.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a full Jerry Herman musical on stage nor on film - at least all the way through.  -Does that mean I lose my "gay card"?  In any case...  ;) But I have played many of song of Mr. Herman's for various singers and students, and I do like them.  However, when it comes to Mame...

I AM Ito!

-In fact, I'm about to clean up some dishes in the sink - not mine unfortunately - and start on a few batches of cookies!  DR SWW - I'll race you!

Oh, and we're due for some snow tonight and tomorrow morning... I'm keeping my eyes on the forecast just in case it means that I should head back up to DC tonight instead of tomorrow afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2003, 12:30:40 PM »

Yes, I think I will order the subtitled Aradhana - because it seems to be MADAME X.  But it will have to be after the holiday...I just ordered the Hindi Dracula recommended by DRMBARNUM and "BONJOUR TRISTESSE" just because I remember it so fondly.

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2003, 12:35:06 PM »

DR Jose: "What a treat to sleep in my own bed last night". A few words spring to mind but it all has something to do with envy.
I originally cast you as "Ito" but it was supposed to be "wrong casting".
If you have to give back your card I must beware  - this is a Garland CD  free house.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 12:36:47 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2003, 12:40:23 PM »

Question for all the college student DR's...do you ever get the feeling that the book selling people are screwing us over??

YES!  Lovely pic, btw!

Jose--oh, do tell us about the new gig!  Is it another show?

I like Jerry Herman, but perhaps I'm weird in that I actually prefer Mame to Hello, Dolly.  

Does anyone know what's up with Miss Spectacular, btw?  I saw part of Almost Famous: Vegas Showgirls on E! yesterday evening and it made me think about that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 12:41:35 PM by Maya »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up