Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YORK ADVENTURE  (Read 21192 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NEW YORK ADVENTURE
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »

We have so few trivia players that no one noticed that the answer wasn't posted - it will be this evening, IF I can remember.

I'm sad to say that I think the contest will go on a long hiatus once again.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2006, 01:22:47 PM »

Does anybody share my pain!!!!! (well, maybe Matt)

Definitely me. This is what every night Sunday - Thursday looks like for me, and some of my favorites like VERONICA MARS, CROSSING JORDAN, and LOST haven't entered the picture yet. Nor has THE NINE, just another 10 p.m. show to squeeze in somehow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2006, 01:24:48 PM »

Had a lengthy (but entertaining) afternoon catching up with last night's shows and some more GREY'S ANATOMY.

I began with OLD CHRISTINE, one of the funniest episodes of the series thus far. Scott Bakula was the guest star (had a horrible haircut, but it was explained by his being an "elderly hippie." But really funny moments and a doozy of a surprise at the end of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »

CSI: MIAMI had a much better episode than the season premiere focusing on the case instead of personalities and vengeance.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2006, 01:27:07 PM »

VANISHED continued its labyrinthan story that has me totally absorbed now and just hoping that the series can least out the season. I'll be so angry if the show gets canceled prematurely and we don't get all the answers to what's actually going on.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »

And the word of the day is: OPPROBRIUM!
Casey would waltz with an OPPROBRIUMable blonde
And the pictures got in the tabloids!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2006, 01:29:06 PM »

I watched two GREY'S ANATOMY episodes. The first was the Christmas themed episodes, one of my favorites, as Alex gets grudging support from his fellow interns so he can pass his board exams.

The second was the New Year's episode that introduced us to the heart-melting Denny Duquette.

I had seen both of these episodes and loved seeing them again.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2006, 01:30:52 PM »

I am now an officially-trained Know It All Now provider.  Of course, the soonest I will be called upon to use the training I just received will be 13, by which time I will have forgotten everything!

Oh, the thank you gift is a 256MB flash drive on a lanyard and a USB extension cable.  Very cool!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »

I also watched (and sped through) THE CROWD ROARS. I had seen this some time ago, but I didn't remember Jane Wyman being in it so I DVRed it so I could see who she played. She does a VERY broad SOuthern accent in the movie. It was also filled with MGM contract players doing their thing: Robert Taylor, Frank Morgan, Maureen O'Sullivan, Nat Pendleton, Edward Arnold, Lionel Stander,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2006, 01:43:26 PM »

I had to get up too early this morning.  I need a nap.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »

TOD - Off the top of my head...

Sullivan’s Travels
City Lights
Best Years of Our Lives
Shane
The Searchers
Sunset Boulevard
Beckett
Some Like It Hot
The Manchurian Candidate
Bad Day at Black Rock

Three extra...
The Gold Rush
Top Hat
The Great Dictator

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal, after which, unless someone calls to have dinner, I shall return.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »

Seeing DR Maria's list made me realize I left off any CHaplin (especially CITY LIGHTS, for me one of the greatest films ever made).

Just goes to show I copuld do another entire list of 10. There are many classic masterpieces out there that deserve such recognition.

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »

Actually, they get put to a lot of use. Western Costume in LA has floors full of stuff that theatre's from all over rent. When I was playing Mordred I had a black cape with a "Vincent Price" tag sewn into the lining. (Having Price's cape helped me throw much sacastric virtriol at Arthur.)

der Brucer

There's  costume place from London (can't think of the name) that shows costumes in art museums. We have an exhibition of them at the Sioux city Art Center right now

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2006, 02:14:29 PM »

I LOVED "Studio 60" because of all the dialogue.  I also LOVED "Sports Night" (but never watched "The West Wing") for the same reason.  "Studio 60" is just really different from anything that I usually watch. ;)

I really liked it last night. I think I'm going to keep watching.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw sitting on a large tree stump:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2006, 02:20:09 PM »

DR Laura...I want to go for a walk with you!

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »

here's a link to the movie costume exhibition
Costume exihibition

can't get the hyperlink to work...try this

http://siouxcityartcenter.com/exhibitions/introduction.asp?key=117
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:27:44 PM by Cillaliz »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2006, 02:26:06 PM »

Museum of the City of New York has MANY Broadway costumes in its collection.  I saw Mary Martin's South Pacific and Peter Pan costumes, and some of Yul Brynner's from The King and I.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »

Museum of the City of New York has MANY Broadway costumes in its collection.  I saw Mary Martin's South Pacific and Peter Pan costumes, and some of Yul Brynner's from The King and I.

Sadly, the exhibit was closed for renovations when I went there to see it. And we didn't bother going last summer. Next summer, I think I'd like to try again to see it.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »

HEROES won the 9 o'clock hour in total viewers last night. A nice surprise for NBC. STUDIO 60 placed in second again to CSI: MIAMI though STUDIO 60 lost some of its audience from premiere week.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

Now, I need to clean the living room, read more about Eileen Heckart, and then back to another full night of TV.

WBBL.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2006, 02:41:11 PM »

Seeing DR Maria's list made me realize I left off any CHaplin (especially CITY LIGHTS, for me one of the greatest films ever made).

And it made me realize I hadn't included any Buster Keaton! Yikes! So I would have to include "The General", especially because the train was stolen in my home town in Georgia.

The hotel the train thieves stayed at the night before they stole the train is here on the square, next door to the Gone With The Wind museum, with lots of costumes from the film.

Darn....GWTW! Another film I forgot! How could I?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2006, 02:41:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, of course, I head out to my parent's house to meet one of my mother's grandnieces - at least I think that's who my mother said was visiting - and no one was there.  -And that was after my mom had left a message saying she would be there.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2006, 02:47:30 PM »

DR Laura...I want to go for a walk with you!

I know the good spots, DR Cillaliz. I'd drive you nuts, though -- I stop and look at (and photograph) everything!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2006, 02:50:05 PM »

At 7pm, Friday, October 6, 2006, there will be an author event for this book at the Lincoln Center Barnes & Noble, 1972 Broadway.  Anybody wanna go with me?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »

I know the good spots, DR Cillaliz. I'd drive you nuts, though -- I stop and look at (and photograph) everything!

I'd take my camera, too!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2006, 03:03:55 PM »

So...

I did make a stop by my storage space.  Alas, I did not find exactly what I was looking for - I think "that" is in my other storage space anyway (ugh) - however, I did find some other things.  And I also got a better idea of just how much "stuff" I need, I mean I have[/b] to go through before the end of this year.  It's not that bad.  However...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:12:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11:47 PM »

However...

I happened to run into my father while I was at the storage place.  Turns out he was clearing out his storage space - well, at least moving everything he had stored in there while the house was being shown back into the house.  So...  -I'm still not exactly sure what is happening with their house in Fairfax, but I do know that they're still planning on moving down to Richmond in a couple of months.  In any case...

Once I got back to my parents' house, I went ahead and looked at the boxes of stuff that I had over there.  -Yes, I have boxes of stuff everywhere!  :-\   Not only did I find some of the boxes that I knew I had there, but I also came across some boxes which I thought were long gone.  Boxes from two moves ago!  10 to 12 years ago!!  I got kind of excited while making a scan of the contents of those boxes - there were some things that I spotted that I thought were long gone.  I guess when my parents moved from Arlington, they had placed those two or three boxes in the attic in Fairfax... Out of sight, out of mind.  I really can't wait to go through those boxes with a fine tooth comb.

*And I just saw a commercial for one of those TV station/bank sponsored "shredding" events.  All in the timing I guess.

;)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2006, 03:14:22 PM »

Did my previous post make any sense?  I know I'm sort of rambling, so... my apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

;)

The short story - Some boxes in storage.  Some boxes at my parents' house.  A lot of stuff that I know will be purged/trashed/shredded.  And some stuff that I know I will keep.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up