Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE  (Read 20468 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:01:58 AM »

Well, you read the notes so you know what my fershluganah true love did THIS time.  Let's have loads of lovely and festively festive posts, shall we?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 12:03:26 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 12:08:15 AM »

Media report...

DVD - empty
VCR - Bobby McFerrin Spontaneous Inventions
CDs - Bobby McFerrin & Chick Corea Play, Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out, Follies OBC
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 12:09:49 AM »

Well, I had hoped to get this onto "yesterday's" notes, but, thankfully, I "copy-ed" before I hit Post...  Or else, I truly would have been in a frenzy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, since I've talked about them, I might as well post the recipe:

Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Pecan-Toffee Cookies

Combine in a medium bowl:

1 cup flour
2 cups oatmeal (regular, not quick cooking)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (I usually a little bit more than 1/2 cup)

In a mixing bowl, cream the following:

1 stick of butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar

Beat until light and fluffy.  Then add:

1 egg
1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract
1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade B has better flavor)

Beat until well combined.

Add flour/pecan mixture to butter mixture, and mix on lowest speed until just combined - does not take long at all.

Add:

1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate in these cookies)
1/3-1/2 cup toffee chips (I use Skor bits, but Heath bits are good too - or even Bits O' Brickle)

Blend until just combined.

Drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets - parchment or Silpats make clean up a breeze! - in walnut-sized balls.  Bake in a 350 oven for about 12-14 minutes, rotating sheets about half-way through cooking time.   Cool cookies on baking sheets/parchment for at least 10 minutes, then remove cookies from parchment and place on cooling rack.  Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

OH, then EAT!!!

"Arglraglgraralgrlgargalrglarlaalalgghh"

The original recipe called for just pecans and chocolate chips... I just experimented one day adding the toffee bits... and liked the results!  Chocolate chunks, or even chopped up Skor or Heath bars would work also.

-And the dough is also very easy to mix by hand too, but I've gotten used to doing it in my Kitchenaid.

*I was amazed the first time I made this recipe that I got so many cookies from just one stick of butter and one cup of flour.  And with two cups of oatmeal, and the half cup of pecans... it's actually a semi-healthy cookie.

And for that "special touch", you can press pecan halves (one or two) into the top of each dough ball before baking.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 12:11:08 AM »

My DVD player suddenly became available - I got thirty minutes into The Looking Glass War, which has to be one of the worst movies ever made.  Perhaps I'll finish Mr. Demy's Bay of Angels, and then it's on to The Great Gatsby with Mr. Robert Redford and Miss Mia Farrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 12:12:18 AM »

Here's what I think - I think dear reader Jose should bake up a batch and send them to me in time for my Christmas Eve Do, which, by the way (BTW in Internet lingo) is on Christmas Eve.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 12:14:01 AM »

Oh, since I've talked about them, I might as well post the recipe:

Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Pecan-Toffee Cookies

Combine in a medium bowl:

1 cup flour
2 cups oatmeal (regular, not quick cooking)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (I usually a little bit more than 1/2 cup)...
And, I assume, definately not the Peaches 'n Cream oatmeal flavor.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 12:15:48 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 12:14:18 AM »

. . . and as Ito:

Joel Grey.  No.  George Takei.  No.  Bruce Lee/Jet Li/Chow Yun Fat.  No.  Judge Lance Ito and/or any one of the many and sundried Dancing Ito's.

--Darn!  Too late!
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 12:14:21 AM »

OMG!

I just sampled one of the Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip-Pecan-Toffee Cookies - with extra Toffee.... Sooo good!!  The extra toffee is a keeper!

*And because of the toffee, I highly recommend using parchment paper.  Makes clean up a snap, and you can also prep subsesquent sheets of cookies in advance.  Just put the paper on the counter, and once the next sheet is available, just slide the paper on the cookie sheet, and place it in the oven.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 12:16:38 AM »

And, I assume, definately not the Peaches 'n Cream oatmeal flavor.

EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 12:17:18 AM »

Does anyone feel that dear reader Jose has just ignored my request?

We got us some late night denizens here at haineshisway.com, so joing us and let us have us a proper posting frenzy.  Has anyone noticed that I wrote "joing" us?  I cannot see straight, that is the problem.  I also cannot see crooked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 12:18:43 AM »

And furthermore, does anyone feel that dear reader Jose has ignored my request twice>\  I'm trying to type a question mark but I cannot see straight and/or crooded.  "Crooded"???  Oh, my, oh, dear.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 12:20:39 AM »

Here's what I think - I think dear reader Jose should bake up a batch and send them to me in time for my Christmas Eve Do, which, by the way (BTW in Internet lingo) is on Christmas Eve.

Hmmm... I'd be more than happy to send you a batch, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time to get them to you in time for Christmas Eve.  However, I'll see what I can do.  I could do another batch in the morning, and send them out... I'm actually not sure of their "staying" power, since the whole batch is usually eaten up within a day.... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 12:22:25 AM »

Do we have a quorum yet?  Do we have decorum yet?  Are we at the forum yet?

We need COOKIES.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 12:23:24 AM »

I'm going to bed in ninie minutes.  "Ninie" minutes?  I tell you, I am deteriorating.  I am determined to cross over to 1000 personal posts tonight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 12:23:26 AM »

I was not ignoring your request, BK.  I was just in "Reply" land...  If I sent them out tomorrow aftenoon or Saturday morning, you would have them by Tuesday, (I hope)... most definitely by Wednesday (most definitely, I hope)...  Something tells me I now have a mission to accomplish!

-Someone cue that 5/4 music!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2003, 12:24:54 AM »

DVD player: Alias, Season 2.  Yeah, I watched it in "real time" during last season, but it's fun to go back and get confused all over again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2003, 12:25:30 AM »

You know, if our ten guests joined our seven perusers we might just have a quorum in the forum.  But then, everyone really should post and then we'd have a frenzy and a quorum.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2003, 12:28:38 AM »

As for media check...

I did put the "International Cast Recording" of Blood Brothers in the other day - the one with Petula Clark and the Cassidy fils.  I know it's schlock - especially in this overblown orchestral version... But I like it.  It's fun.

DR Jed - I've been hankering for some Bobby McFerrin myself lately.  I don't have Spontaneous Inventions - Does that have his five minute version of The Wizard of Oz on it?  I usually put on Circle Songs - is that the right title - when I need to Zen out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 12:31:23 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2003, 12:30:04 AM »

Do we have a quorum yet?  I see perusers, I see guests, I see dead people, I see England, I see France, I see someone's underpants.

One more little post and by gum and by golly and buy stocks and buy bonds I'll have done it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2003, 12:33:42 AM »

They come, they go, like Grand Hotel.  Now, it's just me and Pogue and Pogue ain't postin'.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 12:42:27 AM »

Well... It's now 3:40AM here in the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia... and since I have some more baking to do in the morning before heading back up to DC in the afternoon...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2003, 02:51:02 AM »

Well....now we know DRPanni has never driven an Edsel....or even seen one....how awful!!  :o  And if it wasn't a DVD - what WAS it?

The notes:  What Elmer Bernstein from WHAT John Wayne movie?  ???

In the DVD Player:  2001:A Space Odyssey  :P

In the CD Player:  Camelot Soundtrack, DR Jose inspired me to listen again, I still like it.  :'(

In the VCR:  DEAD RINGER with Miss Bette Davis and a score by Andre Previn.   8)

Friday at last.  Tonight is Game Night at my house and a surprise celebration of my sister's anniversary.  We will be playing Careers!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2003, 02:51:52 AM »

DVD: I watched "Solaris" today. Was it Mr Brockman who detested it? I enjoyed it but then I liked the Russian version I saw 20 years ago too.
Cds:(1) Rosemary Clooney (I am obviously in a Clooney mood): White Christmas/Red Garters - (2)Original Cast "A New Brain" (I've just completed making a compilation of "Sailing" songs) (3) Gordon Lightfoot "Summertime Dream" - this of course was for the wonderful "Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"- a "sailing" song!!!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 02:53:16 AM »

Interesting to post a "Solaris" after a "2001". Spooky indeed!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2003, 02:56:59 AM »

"2001" is one of my all time favourite movies. "Solaris" also leaves you with questions not answered - and I don't mean about why they made the movie. Sci Fi is not my genre of choice but I am also a fan of "K-Pax".  
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2003, 03:00:21 AM »

Perhaps this is the time of the day for only "Gods And Monsters" JRand. 10pm here (Friday) and time to sign off. Good morning/Good night.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2003, 05:15:20 AM »

LOL TOMOVOZ!  Perhaps you are right.

I hope your Calling Birds are using Direct Dial, MR BK and not operator assistance, although I am not sure they would be able to punch the numbers they want.  

The Zaftig Shar-pei Holly is going to the vet today.  My sisters are taking her.  Hopefully she will be pronounced well and happy at the end of her 10th year!  ;D

The interview with Stephanie J. Block is muy interesante!

And for DREmily - here is a picture of Slapshot the mascot of the Indianapolis Ice - our professional hockey team - the best team ever - playing the best hockey ever - the best American sport in the world.  :P

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:20:47 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2003, 05:34:18 AM »

I don't have anything in anything yet-- although "Willy Wonka" is still in the VCR from the other night, and "Jeepers Creepers" is still in the car CD player along with Mr. Schwartz's "Uncharted Territory."  We'll see what I end up playing later.

Jose, I was going to comment on how good your cookies sounded, but I should probably leave well enough alone. ;>)

I just clicked something and ended up with the text from an e-mail I snet yesterday at the bottom of this post (which I had to erase).  How did THAT happen?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:35:06 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2003, 05:57:25 AM »

DVD player: Alias, Season 2.  Yeah, I watched it in "real time" during last season, but it's fun to go back and get confused all over again.

I'm curious, has anyone watched the deleted scenes. What kind of stuff do they show?

And BK did you manage to find the first 10 episodes of Season 3 yet?

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2003, 06:01:06 AM »

DR Panni wrote:
Despite my misgivings (is there a Mr. Givings?) I wandered out again tonight and went to the Gap in Studio City (open until 10:30!) and found the item I had been looking for all over town - a cute red purse for the offspring - to match the cute sweater I got her. The purse and sweater were featured in all the Gap adds, thus the purse was not to be found. But I saw it on a dummy and wrestled it off its arm.

Ha ha, that cracked me up. I did the same thing last week!  My aunt was looking for a gift for a relative, and the item I wanted was on the mannequin.  Then after she made me dress it again, cause she didn't like that it was naked for all to see :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up