Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE  (Read 20507 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2003, 10:26:37 AM »

Good morning all
I am running around like a madwoman, trying to get everything done before I leave for Christmas.  Well, actually at the moment I'm lying on the floor in front of my computer and drinking peppermint tea, but soon I shall be running around like a madwoman.  I woke up with a rather upset stomach this morning, but I am determined to shake it by this evening, when I shall be driving across the state to see DR Jed in Christmas Carol.  Jed is probably shaking his head as he reads this...I have a history of getting the flu every time I try to get over to see him...it's erie at times.  But hopefully the nausea will go away soon.  I must go clean the kitchen now....

No, Ann, you are supposed to be sick AFTER you see Jed's performance.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2003, 10:37:56 AM »

To mark the beginning of Hannukah this evening, my CD player is filled with..........six Christmas music CDs.  All of them are anthologies, along the lines of "Cabaret Christmas,"  "Nipper's Greatest Christmas Hits," "Capitol Sings Christmas," etc.

I saw The Lord of the Rings:  The Return of the King last night, Dear Readers.  Normally, I am not a big fan of films of this genre, but I must admit that I have been quite impressed by the entire trilogy.  I think this final installment is probably the best effort of the three films.  My only real quibble with the picture (and this has already been voiced by many others) is that its last half hour seemed to be filled with three or four alternative endings.

Confession:  For all the alternative endings already included in the picture, there is yet one more ending that I really would have liked to have seen (untrue as it may be to the book), and that would be for Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom to fall into each others' arms and ride off into the sunset together.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 10:40:00 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2003, 10:49:13 AM »

I'm on, baby.  These foreign cars today are so small that I stuck out my hand to make a left turn and two of them ran up my sleeve.

I'm on, baby.  I'm so paranoid that when I go to a football game and the players get in a huddle I think they're talking about me.

I'm on, baby.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2003, 10:55:51 AM »

Valley of the Dolls Original Soundtrack trivia:

The "Theme from Valley of the Dolls" on the soundtrack album is sung by Miss Dory Previn.  Dionne Warwick who sings it on the actual film soundtrack was of course under contract to another record company (Scepter) and released her own version....45 rpm & album.

"I'll Plant My Own Tree" is sung on the soundtrack album by Eileen Wilson, although it is sung in the film by Margaret Whiting (lip motions by Miss Susan Hayward, instead of the originally cast Judy Garland, who had pre-recorded the song).

Although it is hard to tell the difference ( :D), Patty Duke's songs were recorded and are on the soundtrack album by Jackie Ward (?), I think.  Some other DR has corrected this information in the past, and perhaps he will step forward again!

And that's all I know about that, practically.  :P

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2003, 11:31:41 AM »

I'm on, too, baby.

I'm not saying my uncle drank a lot - but two years after he died, his liver won a Charleston contest.

Tomovoz

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2003, 12:28:39 PM »

Nearly an hour between posts! Perhaps the jokes were so tired everyone went to sleep.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2003, 12:31:23 PM »

Let them stay away.  Let them be errant and truant.  I no longer care.  Let them eat cake.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2003, 12:36:22 PM »

CD player: the soundtrack from The Living Sea, music by Sting and Steve Wood (no realation).  It's very mellow, exactly what I need/want right now.

Dang, I wish my Dad had sent our boxes of media he has, instead of deciding to wait until after Christmas.  I'd be listening to Christmas music now, if he had.  As it is, we have none in the house.

I may have to head on over to WalMart to see what's on sale.

That's one area that der Brucer and I have found Rehoboth Beach lacking, a decent electronics/music/DVD store.  There's a shop on Outlet Mall Three that deals in music and DVDs, but it's not very good.  You'd think that a town like this, with a larger than typical gay population, would have a store that specializes in show tunes, but no one has thought of such a thing.  We're even lacking in a fantastic book store.  Thus, no Wicked for me, or the rest.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2003, 12:40:35 PM »

Do you mind if I stick with toast this morning (Breakfast time here BK) and partake of cake later? The demands of Christmas etc seems to be hitting us all.  Quality not quantity is here. Perhaps it is siesta time on the east coast.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »

I care not if the errant and truant are errant and truant.  We will be here, having a swellegant time and feeling the Christmas spirit.

I'm on, baby.  I was so nervous the first time I flew on an airplane, I turned to the man next to me and said, "Isn't flying amazing?  Those people down there, they look like ants."  He said, "Those are ants you idiot, we haven't taken off yet."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2003, 01:08:50 PM »

I think bk in channeling Henny Youngman. Take his wife, PLEASE.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2003, 01:12:30 PM »

Speaking of Henny Youngman... Tomorrow I go to Bob Hope Airport to pick up my daughter. We've got John Wayne and now Hope around here. So let's think of some airports named after ladies in our biz. And where they would be. Like where would the Carol Channing Airport be? Or the Marilyn Monroe Airport?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 01:15:24 PM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2003, 01:16:38 PM »

Dr JRand, you are correct about all of those dubbers on the soundtrack album except Patty Duke's. That's not Jackie Ward on the album. It's the same girl that dubbed her in the picture: Gail Heideman.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2003, 01:18:56 PM »

Thanks to all those DRs who encouraged me to buy the ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY DVD instead of merely being content with the cast album CD. It adds immeasurably to see her act her songs and tell her stories. Yep, there were tears in my eyes at the end.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2003, 01:28:11 PM »

What care I for the errant and truant?  What care I for tinsel and glamor?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2003, 01:32:15 PM »

Which LA area airport was renamed for Bob Hope?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2003, 01:40:59 PM »

I think it was the Palm Springs airport, DR WEL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2003, 01:41:37 PM »

Thanks MATTH - Gail....I think you were the one who set me straight last time....yes....how could I forget?  Because I knew someone knew the facts, ma'am....the facts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2003, 01:42:32 PM »

Tired jokes?  These are tired jokes?

These are not tired jokes, these are classics!!!!

Two seagulls talking:

Gertrude:  Have seen those new sports cars?
Heathcliff:  Yup, I spotted one yesterday.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2003, 01:42:55 PM »

This one, I think, is from Myron Cohen.

The old guy was really nervous. It was his first flight, but he had to be in Chicago for business. Seated next to him was a big football-player type. Shortly after the plane left Laguardia, the football guy dozed off, the plane hit some turbulence, and the old man barfed all over his seatmate. A few minutes later the big guy woke up. Without missing a beat, the old man turned to him and asked, in a concerned voice, "Feeling better?"

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2003, 01:45:52 PM »

As much as I admire Margaret Whiting, I think Eileen Wilson clearly outsings her on "I'll Plant My Own Tree." I have an old Movietone (Fox)  label album of Marilyn Monroe vocals from some of her Fox movies, and on the GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES duets, Jane Russell's vocals are done by Eileen WIlson on that LP. Eileen is a wonderful singer. (She dubbed Ava Gardner in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS and THE HUCKSTERS, too.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 01:48:01 PM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2003, 01:46:23 PM »

What about naming one for Gypsy Rose Lee?  After all, they used to be called air strips[/color].
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2003, 01:51:05 PM »

I'm on, baby.  Guy came up to me in the street and said, "I haven't had a bite in weeks."  So, I bit him.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2003, 01:55:39 PM »

Well, here's a nice little story. As I was typing away upstairs in my office, I hear this commotion downstairs. I live alone, have no pets of any kind, but there was definitely something downstairs. Walk in the kitchen and there is a squirrel splashing away in some pans I had soaking in the sink. He came down the chimney, pushed open the glass doors in front of the fireplace, and ran into the kitchen looking for another escape route. I opened the kitchen doors (main door and screen door), went to get a broom to shoo him out, and he left before I could get in there.

That's a first, and I've been here since 1982!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2003, 01:57:26 PM »

In my CD player at work:  "Sousa For Orchestra" this CD includes 6 songs written for the musical Teddy and Alice.  After that will be the original cast recording to Avenue Q! :D  I just got it from the library and will listen to it very shorty.

In my DVD player at home:  The entire (on 4 recordable DVDs from my sister's boyfriend) "Angels In America."  I won't be able to watch the whole thing tonight and I'm going to be gone most of the whole weekend, but I'll start watching it tonight.  

In my VCR:  nothing.

I've only read the first page, so now I have to go back and catch up (but not catsup) with the rest of what's going on. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2003, 02:11:40 PM »

Well, I'm back up in Fairfax, and about to head into the theatre... and I'm stopping at the post office on the way in too... Let's hope the lines are short - yeah, right - or at least filled with plenty of eye candy and/or characters.

See you after I give the final downbeat...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2003, 02:29:31 PM »

CD: Assassins (Chicago Production)
DVD: Looney Tunes Golden Collection.
VCR: Rewatching Angels in America
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2003, 02:39:33 PM »

What care I for the errant and truant?  What care I that I am all alone on this board?  I care not.  I not care.  Care not I.  Care I not.  

And why don't I care?  Because I'm ON, baby.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2003, 02:53:16 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that our very own ladodgerjon is a brand new daddy to a healthy bouncing baby boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2003, 02:56:17 PM »

MDS: That "Chicago Assassins" is one of my most treasured  CDs. Kind and positive thoughts are sent your way at each playing. Let's hope "Assassins" does indeed make it to Broadway this coming year. Hope it does not get "bounced" again.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up