Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE  (Read 20451 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2003, 06:05:00 AM »

I'm up!  I'm baking!  -Finishing off the peanut butter cookies right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2003, 06:18:58 AM »

OOHHH!!  The forecasted snow - that was suprised last night - has finally arrived!  It's very pretty and white right now.  Nice big flakes, and more like a heavy flurry rather than a "fall".  And, best of all, it's only supposed to be here for a few (whatever few you wish), and, hopefully, will not cause a problem for my drive back up to DC this afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2003, 06:25:58 AM »

So, how are you today, Jose?   Ready to vent yet?

AND TCB, can I be there when you tie DRJed to a chair to make him watch  "Mame" and "Hello Dolly"?
I like boat races.

Diane

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2003, 06:43:23 AM »

Damn..This forum was jumping last night!

Nothing in the VCR at the moment. I was listening to Bruce Springstein on the way to work

Oh! and btw:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY HANUKKAH EVERYONE ;D[/move]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 06:43:57 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

Diane

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2003, 06:45:55 AM »

Yay!! I'm no longer a newbie!!
I LOVE A Piano....

Andrea

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2003, 07:11:43 AM »

As soon as I hand in this paper (In about an hour) I will be FREEEEEE!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2003, 07:21:53 AM »

DR Jose, I guess when you're young, you can exist on a few hours of sleep. I'd be dragging big time if I posted here until after 3 and was up baking cookies before sunrise. Wow!

DR Jed, you said you had never seen MAME or DOLLY. Does that include their (less than perfect) movie versions? I ask because it's difficult to get a feel for either show merely from their cast albums. Both are loads of fun in the theater with all the dancing and production values, things that don't translate on the printed page at all. I just want you to keep an open mind about them. Actually, the script of the movie of DOLLY is better than the book of the stage version, I think. If only they could have cast it better!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2003, 07:23:53 AM »

Media report:

CD - CHRISTMAS WITH BING (Bing Crosby) but I'm hoping WICKED comes either today or tomorrow.

VCR - LOVELY TO LOOK AT

DVD - the last half of ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY after which will come THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW - Season 1.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2003, 07:38:22 AM »

Yes, indeed, Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate!  

I just got back from my sleepover, which was a lot of fun...DBF (that's dear best friend) Isis and I watched "Down With Love," which was cute and funny, if rather slight and strained at times.  It had some great one-liners, I thought, and the costumes were out of this world.  I LOVED the song Here's to Love written by none other than Shaiman and Wittman...these guys can REALLY do Rodgers and Hart style love songs.

DVD--Down With Love, Sunday in the Park with George
VHS--nothing, but I plan to watch Angels in America: Perestroika later today
CD--Funny Girl OCR, Most Happy Fella OCR

I haven't got the Wicked cast recording yet...I know that I'm getting it as a Christmas present.  But I HAVE heard "Popular," "Defying Gravity," and "The Wizard and I," and I looove the first 2 songs, not so much the last one.  Soooo looking forward to seeing the show...based on these songs, I think I'm going to like the whole score.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 07:39:02 AM by Maya »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2003, 07:45:18 AM »

Jrand: I think I said what the Elmer Bernstein CD was - McQ.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2003, 07:48:14 AM »

Earlier I wrote:

"OOHHH!!  The forecasted snow - that was suprised last night - has finally arrived!"

"that was suprised" - ???

"that was supposed to arrive last night" is what I meant, duh!

-And I actually remember losing a spelling bee in 4th grade for misspelling "surprise" - I spelled it like I just did above - that pesky first "r".
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2003, 07:51:51 AM »

Not much media this week for me  ???

Music wise: assorted Bollywood CDs and some Christmas CDs supplied by DR Jason.

VCR: Taped some movies on TCM this week...forgot what they were, and haven't even watched them yet!

DVD: Half watched LIFE RETURNS starring Onslow Stevens, Lois Wilson, Valerie Hobson while thumbing through next weeks TV guide listings (in other words the movie was a bore!)

Hopefully today's mail will bring some lovely DVDs and I will be able to sit around all weekend and watch them (although I really need to finish up some magazine articles that I am working on!!)

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2003, 07:53:43 AM »

I always told my students to remember Gomer Pyle when they wanted to spell "surprise" because with his exaggerated Southern accent, it DID help to remember to put that "r" in there - "SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2003, 08:15:30 AM »

I must be off in a few moment.  Why should I be off in a few moments when I can be ON in a few moments.  I'm done with being off, I shall now only be on I tell you.  

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2003, 08:19:42 AM »

I meant to mention that I, too, enjoyed the George Clooney SOLARIS. It was off-kilter and unusual, and I enjoyed just letting it unfold. I've been anxious to watch it again because I think it'll be even more enjoyable the second time with some of the enigma cleared away from a first viewing. I certainly liked 2001 a lot more with each subsequent viewing as I learned more and more of what it was about.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2003, 08:23:49 AM »

McQ - whew!  How did I miss the title?  I guess I was looking for something longer.... :o

Anyway...SOLARIS both versions are okay.  I have only the seen the Russian original once and the American version once.

DRMBARNUM - I hope you get some DVD's to watch, you wouldn't want to work too hard on those articles!  ;D

At long last my ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST DVD is on its way!   8)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 08:24:25 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2003, 08:26:54 AM »

We are busy making fudge today. Mmmm. No CDs today -- we are listening to the all-Christmas music station.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2003, 08:28:14 AM »

I always told my students to remember Gomer Pyle when they wanted to spell "surprise" because with his exaggerated Southern accent, it DID help to remember to put that "r" in there - "SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE, SUR-PRISE!"

That was actually the title line of a Christmas card I received from a couple who didn't expect grandparenthood from their 41-year-old daughter.

One of the CDs is a compilation disc a friend of mine made of leading ladies who can't sing.  Included:

Bette Davis: Just Turn Me Loose On Broadway
Lauren Bacall: Hurry Back
Elizabeth Taylor: Send in the Clowns
Shirley Booth: Song of the Ma
Shelly Winters: They Give Me Love
Lillian Gish: Little Hands
Katherine Hepburn: Lonely Mamoiselle
Lucille Ball: We Need a Little Christmas

(They all make out Moms sound more wonderful www.WeddingMusical.com )
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2003, 08:37:08 AM »

Oh, DR Jason - That is very interesting about The Boy From Oz shutting down during Hugh Jackman's vacations.  I guess it is a smart move on behalf of the producers - and more or less an admission that the only thing selling the show is Mr. Jackman.  -And I just have to wonder what his standby thinks?  And I wonder what kind of payroll arrangement they're making during those weeks for the rest of the cast?

*And it was very nice reading that Mr. Jackman has not missed a performance yet.

**And I just checked out his standby's website... That's nice too!  ;D  http://www.kevinspirtas.com

And speaking of producers - I just read the blurb about the producers of The Producers cancelling their $1,500 a plate(!) New Year's Eve bash due to slow sales.  DUH!  And they're even considering - according to the article - lowering the show only price from $600 to $250-300.  ?!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2003, 08:40:26 AM »

Andrea if you are reading this  am being held hostage in the McLennan Library.

I am in the big computer area to the right of the elevators when you walk in.  

Save me.  Please.  The databases are getting to me.  I am seeing the world in advanced search format. :P
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2003, 08:41:31 AM »

Noel--HAHAHA, that's hilarious!  Though I would have added Tallulah Bankhead on there.

Jose--*sigh*  Is it any wonder that people think of theatre as an elitist art form these days?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2003, 09:07:17 AM »

Nothing in the CD at the moment.

I will be watching the DVD of MORGAN later tonight.  Last night we watched A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS.  A strange and I think ulitimately unsatisfying movie.  But the weird theme keeps haunting me.  We also watched LORD LOVE A DUCK...which the lovely wife Julieanne did not love as much as me, though she loved Roddy McDowell.  My favourite scenes are those with Max Showalter. Hey! Hey! Hey!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 09:08:30 AM by Charles Pogue »

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2003, 09:16:33 AM »

I am very thrilled. My CD for WICKED came today, and I will be listening to it later today after I return from lunch and finish the DVD of ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2003, 09:31:44 AM »

AND TCB, can I be there when you tie DRJed to a chair to make him watch  "Mame" and "Hello Dolly"?

Only if you bring a note from your other half, Kerry.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2003, 09:54:43 AM »

I'm on, baby, I'm on.  In the car I'm listening to the Valley of the Dolls soundtrack - it's marvy, what with the divoon Barbara Parkins' opening narration over Johnny Williams' beautiful arrangement of Andre Previn's song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2003, 09:56:34 AM »

I'm on, baby, I'm on.  Did you think you were reading the same post as above?  Was I messing with your minds?  I'm on, I tell you.  Ladies and germs, it was so cold this morning that I fell out of bed and broke my pajamas.

Diane

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2003, 09:58:05 AM »

ugggh! It is so boring here today..half the office is out for the holiday and no one is calling!  :P

so..has everyone finished their holiday shopping yet?

I'm just starting today! eeek!
I LOVE A Piano....

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2003, 10:08:59 AM »

Good morning all
I am running around like a madwoman, trying to get everything done before I leave for Christmas.  Well, actually at the moment I'm lying on the floor in front of my computer and drinking peppermint tea, but soon I shall be running around like a madwoman.  I woke up with a rather upset stomach this morning, but I am determined to shake it by this evening, when I shall be driving across the state to see DR Jed in Christmas Carol.  Jed is probably shaking his head as he reads this...I have a history of getting the flu every time I try to get over to see him...it's erie at times.  But hopefully the nausea will go away soon.  I must go clean the kitchen now....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2003, 10:12:26 AM »

I'm on, baby, I'm on.  Did you think you were reading the same post as above?  Was I messing with your minds?  I'm on, I tell you.  Ladies and germs, it was so cold this morning that I fell out of bed and broke my pajamas.

I could swear I hear a rim shot when I read that last post.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2003, 10:17:52 AM »

All the same Christmas stuff as last week is in my media players.  I bought WICKED and haven't had a chance to listen to it nor any of the other new stuff I got including the score to the Broadway A TASTE OF HONEY which has finally been released on CD (my LP has been worn out for years) plus sountracks for 2 Doris Day films: PAJAMA GAME and JUMBO (the last three were part of a buy 2 get 1 Free sale form "Nina's Discount Oldies").

Okay - it's a day late, but anyone who saw the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" would know just what kind of a performance Mickey Rooney could give as Ito.

Sad day at work.  My boss passed away this morning.  Actually he had been out sick since April and his son is running the company now (and much easier to work for than his dad) but this was the man who hired me and we always got along great.  I talked to him Monday and he sounded like he was in perfect health and readey to return any day.  He was 87 and World Confections is his legacy.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up