Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE  (Read 20523 times)

Tomovoz

Re:MY FERSHLUGANAH TRUE LOVE
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2003, 02:58:53 PM »

Congratulations new dad ladodgerjon. Another sagitarian. A wonderful life is assured.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2003, 03:18:37 PM »

Which LA area airport was renamed for Bob Hope?

I think it was the Palm Springs airport, DR WEL.

Actually, it is Burbank Airport.  Although Mr. Hope did maintain a residence in the Palm Springs area, his main domicile was in Toluca Lake, which is adjacent to Burbank.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2003, 03:19:32 PM »

Well, Mr. Kimmel just beat me to my very favourite joke of the ilk that he has been peppering the boards with..."a man came up to me and said he hadn't had a bite in weeks, so I bit him."  For some idiotic reason, this one particularly cracks me up.

I call these saucy little witticisms, "Have an accident" jokes, you know...

Have an accident?  No thanks, just had one.

Call me a cab!  Okay, you're a cab

I was thinking....  Oh, how do you like it so far?

Of course, the inimitable Groucho was the best at this sort of thing.

I once shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I'll never know.

Can I understand this?  Why a four year old child could understand this!  Run out and get me a four year old child, I can't make head nor tail of this!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2003, 03:24:31 PM »

Foghorn Leghorn was also pretty good with a snappy one-liner or comeback:  I say, that boy's so dumb he thinks the Mexican border pays rent.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2003, 03:30:44 PM »

Just a quick post here, folks, to let everyone know I arrived in South Carolina bright-eyed and bushy tailed at 9:40 a.m. yesterday, est.  I took a nap from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.  And then I went to bed at 9:30 p.m.

Today, I was up at 7 a.m. and we put in a full day, traveling to visit a cousin and to place flowers on family graves.  We also had some great lunch at a place called Wade's, and we went shopping, too.

I haven't gotten my copy of "Wicked" yet.  It was shipped Monday and should have been delivered here Wednesday via UPS.  Not one visit that we know of from UPS as of yet.

But this is the south...and things just don't get rushed, whether you pay for "rush" or not!

I feel a bit outside of myself, still, but I'm glad to be here.  

Will try to keep up with the reading.  Haven't read yesterday's yet, but there has been so little time.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2003, 03:39:23 PM »

RE Today's notes: the newest Le Carre book "Absolute Friends" was reviews in today's paper here. I think I have read all this novels. Some of the TV shows have worked. "A Perfect Spy" was wonderfully done but the films don't seem to have the same tensions. The last book of Le Carre's I read was "The Constant Gardener" which is somewhat of an indictment of the world's major drug companies and their lack of morality.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2003, 03:39:32 PM »

So little time indeed.  That is why one must keep up, whether on the road or at home.  What care I for time?  I'm fairly exhausted and am ready to get out of here, but I shall not be out before six.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2003, 03:46:16 PM »

Thanks, DRJAY!

I agree with DR MATTH -  Eileen is a terrific singer!

The Gypsy Rose Lee Landing Strip is inspired!

How about the Patty Duke Flatlands Airport?

The Petula Clark Downtown Airport?

The Jane Russell Twin Cities Airport?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2003, 03:48:11 PM »

I'm on, baby.  These foreign cars today are so small that I stuck out my hand to make a left turn and two of them ran up my sleeve.

I'm on, baby.  I'm so paranoid that when I go to a football game and the players get in a huddle I think they're talking about me.

I'm on, baby.

Yup BK, you're on, alright...but WHAT[/i] are you on?  That's what I'd like to know!   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2003, 03:55:57 PM »

Yup BK, you're on, alright...but WHAT[/i] are you on?  That's what I'd like to know!   ;D

Dolls, probably  ;)

Good news, the peppermint tea did its job, and my tummy is calm again.  More good news, I'm packed and ready to go tonight.  Even more good news, the baby has learned to blow raspberries on my arm..which he is doing a lot...he sounds like a beginner band trombone player...

Jed

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2003, 03:58:43 PM »

DR Jed, you said you had never seen MAME or DOLLY. Does that include their (less than perfect) movie versions? I ask because it's difficult to get a feel for either show merely from their cast albums. Both are loads of fun in the theater with all the dancing and production values, things that don't translate on the printed page at all. I just want you to keep an open mind about them. Actually, the script of the movie of DOLLY is better than the book of the stage version, I think. If only they could have cast it better!

Oh my, did I perhaps misspeak?  While it is true that I have not seen MAME, I have certainly seen DOLLY, both on stage and screen.  I just don't care for it, that's all. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2003, 04:13:40 PM »

Congratulations, DR Ladogerjon! I do believe this is our very first H/K baby.

DR MattH -- love the squirrel story. My sister has a squirrel that knocks on the door when he wants peanuts.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2003, 04:19:35 PM »

Congratulations to ladodgerjon!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 04:21:28 PM by JRand53 »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2003, 04:19:51 PM »

Jrand53 -  Great airports! When my mind is working again, I'll try and add a few.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2003, 04:22:00 PM »

Is it the highlights, DRPANNI?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2003, 04:27:32 PM »

ladodgerjon promises us a photo by tomorrow.  And I'll have a wonderful surprise photo this evening that you won't want to miss.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2003, 04:30:13 PM »

Same bat time, same bat channel.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 04:30:28 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2003, 04:47:35 PM »

DR Lulu is on her way to Chicago!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2003, 05:42:35 PM »

Another lull.  I'm off to the opera.  Tonight's performance is Gluck's Orfeo ed Eurydice.  I've never seen it before and only know the one well-known aria from it ("Che faro senza Eurydice?")
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2003, 05:44:46 PM »

Im sure that is not approriate language for a family friendly site Jay.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2003, 05:50:54 PM »

Lull, lull, lull (that is three lulls).  What care I about lulls.  We're having a high old time lulls or not.  And that's the truth.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2003, 05:55:27 PM »

Just wanted to drop by and say hello, congrats to the new father and Happy Chanukah to those who celebrate it.
Danise
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2003, 06:58:08 PM »

Jrand53 - That's it! The highlights seeped into my skull and destroyed my brain cells. An airport popped into my head as I was walking my dog:Bill Clinton Airport in Santa Monica. It's beneath me, I know it. (There's an opening if I ever heard one.)

Panni

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2003, 07:02:21 PM »

Congratulations to the new HHW daddy! And Happy Hanukah to all.

Michael

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2003, 07:41:22 PM »

Now that the Golden Globe nominations are out and other critic awards have been announced I was wondering if Mr. Mark Bakalor has updated his Oscar picks yet.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2003, 07:48:10 PM »

My goodness, the phone has not stopped ringing tonight, and I have barely gotten a few media things done I had planned. Did not get a chance to crack open WICKED yet, but did get some choice episodes of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW watched. Even in its first (low-rated) season, this show was hilarious. And the comedy hasn't really aged at all. It's still fresh and funny as ever.

[sigh] Invited out to dinner tomorrow night at some friends' house, so I'll have to give WICKED a spin tomorrow. Will give me a chance to read the liner notes.

That squirrel could have caused major damage panicking in such strange surroundings, so I am SO lucky it didn't.

Nice to see that DR Ron arrived safely. Hope everyone else who's doing holiday traveling gets to his destination with no trouble.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura II

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2003, 07:55:28 PM »

Congrats to ladodgerjon and family! Happy Hanukah to all who celebrate it!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2003, 08:14:28 PM »

Guess it's time to turn in (turn into what? bk isn't the only one who's on, baby!)

Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2003, 08:35:36 PM »

Now that the Golden Globe nominations are out and other critic awards have been announced I was wondering if Mr. Mark Bakalor has updated his Oscar picks yet.
Usually it takes a while to work out the maths on an abacus.

;D

Uh, more seriously, Master Mark takes a number of considerations into play when working out his judgements, from what I've been told.  Nominations and wins for other awards are only a part of his equations.  I'm just glad he takes as much pleasure from reaching his conclusions as we take from the conclusions themselves.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 08:39:31 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2003, 08:49:36 PM »

Der Brucer and I have had a nice nite out.  We started by submitting my app for employment at the local Mikasa outlet.  He was instantly distracted by some of the sale items, finding some good treasures, while I went next door to the Peppers shop, which specializes in hot sauces, and found a very interesting Ginger/Wasabi sauce.  I also found out that they have a warehouse nearby, and got another application to fill out.

We then went to the Purple Parrot, closer to downtown, for happy hour, and got very happy meeting Heather and Dave, both bartenders, and Hugh, one of the owners.  We also met Rick and Jeff, two of the locals.  We're still unclear on what Rick does for a living, but Jeff coaches international competition level ice skaters.  You never can tell who you're going to meet during happy hour!

Right now, I'm listening to Mason Williams' Music CD.  It's not a copy of his album of '69 of the same name, but a compliation of tracks from his five albums recorded for WB from '68 to '71.  I take it all back, that I don't have any Christmas music with us, because his guitar solo of Greensleeves counts as such.

See, something happens during these lulls!  You just have to be patient for us to get back to you, BK!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up