Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME FLIES  (Read 23357 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TIME FLIES
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes flew like time, and now it is time for you to post until the flying cows come home.  They're on a double bill with the Flying Wallendas.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:13:20 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TIME FLIES
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:11:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: VORAGINOUS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:18:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  Because of the holiday, I'm convinced today is Tuesday, but it's really Wednesday.  I sound like Gertrude Stein.

Another trek to Toyland this morning:  I have to finish this blasted Quadrille and get it to a copyist, I need to have a score printed for Skip to examine, and I could use a trip to the NYPL.

At the moment I have no questions and no answers/
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »

Me neither.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:25:43 AM »

The absurd and money-grubbing idea that I can't get a complete recording of the new Chorus Line on one CD is appalling. Appalling enough that I will probably not purchase the new recording. I know the record company doesn't give a rat's patootie about it but who cares. Not them and now not me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 05:05:27 AM »

The absurd and money-grubbing idea that I can't get a complete recording of the new Chorus Line on one CD is appalling. Appalling enough that I will probably not purchase the new recording. I know the record company doesn't give a rat's patootie about it but who cares. Not them and now not me.

It's my understanding that the same is true for the new recording of JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL . . .

Much as I like having my iTunes, I have no urge to see my computer replace either my CD or DVD player, and the corporate world's insistence otherwise irks me a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 05:07:50 AM »

My "Ask BK Day" question is: How much of your new book is autobiographical? The characters are so charming and witty---there are some lines that are so funny I made a note to myself to remember them for future use. (My favorite one was about the cleaning lady...I can use that a lot!) The description of writing the dirty book was so well done that it seemed like something you must have experienced! Or maybe that's just what really good writers do...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 05:22:05 AM »

Much as I like having my iTunes, I have no urge to see my computer replace either my CD or DVD player, and the corporate world's insistence otherwise irks me a lot.

Right, DR Elmore! And now that I've gotten used to the convenience of iTunes, I am trying to download some Mercer songs and iTunes wants me to upgrade to iTunes 7. But my OS isn't current enough. I have OS 10.2.8, which came with the computer. I bought this laptop so that I could go to NY every few months and work on S&V with my partner. It took a lot of frustration to get the editing software to work and I don't want to change horses in mid-stream (well, actually, we're sloshing towards the bank of the stream) before it's entirely done. And I have some programs, like an older version of photoshop, that won't even work with the OS upgrade, it uses OS 9. I even already bought the new OS...just can't install it yet.

So to download these songs, I have to go to 10.3 something. The information on what is required doesn't even show up correctly in the browser because *it's* not current enough. The music is Johnny Mercer himself singing, so this won't be easy to find at the record store.

DAMN YOU, iTUNES!!!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:58:20 AM »

SHHH don;t tell anyone I'm here.  Sneaking in a quick visit cos the other woman is on vacation and no one is looking over my shoulder at the moment.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:00:14 AM »

Dr Edisaurus, when will your documentary be available for public viewing? DR WFO explained the background to me (I am afraid I was woefully ignorant of the entire matter) and I am interested in seeing it.

vixmom

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:00:38 AM »

OOP... someones coming! Gotta go!

Edisaurus

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 06:15:09 AM »

Dr Edisaurus, when will your documentary be available for public viewing? DR WFO explained the background to me (I am afraid I was woefully ignorant of the entire matter) and I am interested in seeing it.

Don't worry about not being familiar with the case of Sacco and Vanzetti. I really think a large part of it is where you grew up. I went to HS/college in the Deep South and this was never a part of our education. My partner grew up on Boston, near where the crime took place, so he grew up hearing about it.

We've had 2 dozen screenings so far and it has had SRO crowds in the northeastern screenings, but these were one-offs, so it will be interesting to see how it does when it has its theatrical release in the spring. I've only seen it at 2 festivals in GA, and although many people weren't familiar with the case, the relevance to present day political situations still struck a chord.  (F# minor, diminished 5th...) But there was nothing like the response it has had up north.

We have 2 screenings coming up in a few days, one in NJ and one in MA. (These should both be really good ones!) You can see the complete list of past and future screenings and watch the trailer at our site:  www.willowpondfilms.com

And you can send me a message off-list with your contact info. We will try to put together a mailing list for any screenings in your area. Thanks for your interest!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 06:50:09 AM »

BK,
I'm really enjoying the new book! I like to savor a good book, rather than read it in one sitting, but I start a story and then can't put it down! That was true even for the story I'd read previously. Lovely writing. I think this is your best fiction yet.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 06:50:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: VORAGINOUS!
Casey would waltz
With a VORAGINOUS blonde,
Who at first just nibbled his ear,
But that was simply an appetizer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 06:56:26 AM »

The VORAGINOUS foodies would GO SAVOUR IN packs the delicacies laid out at the new restaurants in town, and then they would devour the chefs as well!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 07:06:53 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  The weather's changing here in SW Ohio and we're expecting snow flurries by the end of the week.

Did y'all know that this is Funding for Arts Month?  I thought there might be some DRs who might find some of this info useful.  If you scroll down into the Cleveland section, then under "In the Field," you'll see that my library is hosting a program today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 07:07:57 AM »

Der B and I will be doing some traveling today, accompanied by shopping, visiting the grandlads  :D, and dealing with Magic Mommy  :P.  I'm going to take a certain book along, and read a story or two to der B as he drives.

The joys of having a day off from work!

Yesterday was supposed to be a full day off, but I got a call asking me to come in - someone else hadn't read the schedule properly, leaving my bosses short-handed.  So I went in and wrangled shopping carts for a few hours.

Then der B and I went to a new restaurant in town called The Terrace, where we enjoyed some very good Mexican/Latin dishes.  I had a platter with a very nice beef enchilada, an equally nice chicken taco, and a highly satisfying chile rellenos.  It was the best chile rellenos that I've had since leaving California.  Der B had a half a duck that had been sauced with Madera and green olives, and was quite happy as well.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »

A few questions for our esteemed BK, and everyone else who cares:

Do you like olives?

Do you like them by themselves?

Do you like them as an ingredient in certain dishes?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 07:13:21 AM »

I, myself, I do not care for olives by themselves.  I remember, when we were children, watching my cousins pop olives onto their fingers, and then eating them.  It looked quite cannibalistic, and disgusting.

As an ingredient in other dishes, however, I enjoy them from time to time.  Always sliced or chopped, they add an interestingly dark flavor to stews, chilis, and such.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »

Good morning!

Very overcast here, and I suspect we may get some rain later today. Not particularly cool but not humid, so it's OK. We're getting ready to welcome winter this weekend - lows in the 30s!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 08:02:14 AM »

I remember liking REDS when I saw it the one and only time in the theater back during its initial release, but I did think it was VERY long. Don't have clear memories of all those actors bk mentioned, but I wouldn't mind revisiting it again sometime.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »

I finally finished Luke Yankee's marvelously loving and open memoir of his mother Eileen Heckart. I certainly wept profusely through the chapters on each of his parents' passings. I guess having lost both of my parents made me identify with his feelings.

It was a lovely remembrance. Now on to UNCLE MAME, I guess.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:07 AM »

Favorite bit of dialogue from an evening full of bon mots:

Driving Tom, Colin & Jane back to their respective haunts last night.  Jane informs us she is currently wearing her casual clothes so she may be overdressed for tomorrow's (today's) trip to Multnomah Falls.  I respond, "Well, I want to see you in a gown, fishnet stockings and heels."  To which Tom replies, "Do you want Jane to wear that, too?"   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:18 AM »

I suspect I'll be receiving (finally) THE LITTLE MERMAID and X-MEN 3 today, but with the backlog of TV from last night to watch, I doubt I'll get to either of them.

Also, no word from Amazon on the shipping of the Warner Motion Picture Masterpiece Collection (the one with DAVID COPPERFIELD, A TALE OF TWO CITIES, etc.)

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 08:11:19 AM »

DR Jennifer - have you seen VERONICA MARS yet? (I think you and I are the only ones here who watch it.)

In response to your question yesterday about HEROES, I agree that the internet stripper who has a murderous alter-ego is my least favorite "hero," but all the others are fascinating. Yep, Greg Grunberg from ALIAS plays the LA cop with the ability to read thoughts, and he's great.

I think it's good that not all the heroes are actually heroic. Adrian Pasdar (the flying politician) seems to be darker in temperament, and of course the aforementioned stripper, even though she killed some bad guys, isn't exactly wearing a halo.

Makes for a very mature show.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 08:13:26 AM »

TOnight is the debut of the comedy 30 ROCK which has gotten some highly positive reviews, and since BONES is on hiatus due to baseball, there's nothing else at 8 that I want to see anyway. I'll also watch the John Lithgow/Jeffrey Tambor comedy that comes on afterwards though I don't have high hopes for it.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 08:16:22 AM »

Olives! Not that much by themselves, but I do like to slice 'em up - green AND black - as an addition to salads.

Okay - so here's the latest: three tests yesterday, the first in my Communications class. After, the prof passed out the tests from last Tuesday - I had been hoping for a 74, because all I need is a C to pass the class. I had a 98 - the top score of both his classes! Now, the T/F and multiple choice questions are not exactly brain surgery, so I only missed 2 of those out of 30. But the essay questions were mostly stuff I had only glanced at in the book. But Ms. Orloff has kissed the blarney stone, and is possessed of a nice fat vocabulary - blahblahblah - and I got perfect scores! When in doubt, just make something up, apparently.

This means that I'm up by 24 points - meaning that if I only make 50 points on yesterday's test, I am still in the game!
PennyO

Edisaurus

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 08:18:06 AM »

I remember, when we were children, watching my cousins pop olives onto their fingers, and then eating them.  It looked quite cannibalistic

Sounds like good fodder for a musical. DR George would love it!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 08:20:30 AM »

And now, back to work on this ferdammte speech I have tomorrow... OY. hate the outline, and the "artifact" requirement... Love the 3-5 minute limit. Hoping for a 74 or better... how hard can it be?
PennyO

Edisaurus

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 08:21:13 AM »

Der B had a half a duck that had been sauced with Madera and green olives, and was quite happy as well.

I wish I was sauced in Madeira RIGHT NOW!

(Have some Madeira, M'Dear!)

Is Der B too sauced to write anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up