Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHTUPPING GEESE  (Read 20823 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE SHTUPPING GEESE
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2003, 07:57:53 PM »

Mike I have the Broadway, London and Australian versions of  Lucy Simon's "Secret Garden" PLUS the Barbra Cook. Today's purchase is nothing to do with the story, film or musical. "Secret Garden" won the Eurovision song festival about a decade ago - representing Norway. From memory it was the year that "RiverDance" was born. Secret Garden is Fionnuala Sherry (violin) and Rolf Lovland (piano and keyboards)..
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2003, 08:01:21 PM »

We've made it to page 4. "Whistling Away the Dark" is a beautiful  song. I like the Mathis/Mancini version too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2003, 08:02:44 PM »

Mike I have the Broadway, London and Australian versions of  Lucy Simon's "Secret Garden" PLUS the Barbra Cook. Today's purchase is nothing to do with the story, film or musical. "Secret Garden" won the Eurovision song festival about a decade ago - representing Norway. From memory it was the year that "RiverDance" was born. Secret Garden is Fionnuala Sherry (violin) and Rolf Lovland (piano and keyboards)..

Well there you go. I just learned something. There is another Secret Garden out there!!

Why is it CD called that?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2003, 08:04:07 PM »

We've made it to page 4. "Whistling Away the Dark" is a beautiful  song. I like the Mathis/Mancini version too.

Johnny Matthis wrote a song called Whistling Away the Dark with Henry Mancini?  I just learned something new again!! Twice in one night!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2003, 08:07:02 PM »

Here are the lyrics for Mercer/Mancini version of Whistling Away the Dark

Often I think this sad old world is whistling in the dark.
 Just like a child, who, late from school
walks bravely home through the park.
 To keep their spirits soaring and keep the night at bay.
Neither quite knowing which way they are going,
they sing the shadows away,
Often I think my poor old heart has given up for good.
and then I see a brand new face, I glimpse some new neighborhood.
So walk me back home, my darling,
tell me dreams really come true.
Whistling whistling here in the dark with you.
Often I think my poor old heart has given up for good.
and then I see a brand new face,
I glimpse some new neighborhood.
So walk me back home, my darling,
tell me dreams really come true.
Whistling whistling here in the dark with you.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2003, 08:07:43 PM »

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2003, 08:12:03 PM »

It is the Duo that called themselves "Secret Garden". A pity really as the English speaking world just assumes it is the musical. I guess the book etc was not known widely in Norway when they came up with their name. They are successful enough to have releases here in Australia now. The first album was only available on import but the others have done quite well here. Many stores don't know where to "file" the CDs - I have seen the CDs in Stage shows, Soundtracks, World, Classical and MOR. I now have three of the CDs plus a DVD of them performing. To lable them "ambient" music is to ignore their talent - but it is soft and atmospheric music.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2003, 08:12:29 PM »

Since we are talking about Johnny Mercer. Okay I was. And BK was watching The Days of Wine and Roses here are the lyrics for the title song

The days of wine and roses
laugh and run away
like a child at play
Through a meadow land
toward a closing door
A door marked "nevermore"
that wasn't there before.

The lonely night discloses
just a passing breeze
filled with memories
Of the golden smile
that introduced me to
The days of wine and roses and you.

(The lonely night discloses)
just a passing breeze
filled with memories
Of the golden smile
that introduced me to
The days of wine and roses
and you-oo-oo.

Lee Remick and Jack Lemmon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 08:12:48 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2003, 08:14:13 PM »

Just checking in to say hello before I go out for dinner with my daughter and her new boyfriend (he's auditioning for the role, anyway). Re children's books - forgot to add that before FREDDY THE PIG came into my life, one of my faves was MICI MACKO - which was Winnie the Pooh in Hungarian - which is how I first read it when I was 7 or so.

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2003, 08:15:40 PM »

I should be more careful Michael. There is Johnny Mathis album "Johnny Mathis & Henry Mancini - The Hollywood Musicals" CBS 1986.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2003, 08:17:20 PM »

Here is the Italian poster for the film release. Its title is a plot point in the film

and one for Beligium

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2003, 08:18:36 PM »

I should be more careful Michael. There is Johnny Mathis album "Johnny Mathis & Henry Mancini - The Hollywood Musicals" CBS 1986.

I really knew that. But I am trying to push us over 100 postings. I guess I am making up for earlier in the week.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 08:22:40 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2003, 08:21:03 PM »

It is the Duo that called themselves "Secret Garden". A pity really as the English speaking world just assumes it is the musical. I guess the book etc was not known widely in Norway when they came up with their name. They are successful enough to have releases here in Australia now. The first album was only available on import but the others have done quite well here. Many stores don't know where to "file" the CDs - I have seen the CDs in Stage shows, Soundtracks, World, Classical and MOR. I now have three of the CDs plus a DVD of them performing. To lable them "ambient" music is to ignore their talent - but it is soft and atmospheric music.

You know now that you mention it this way I think I saw it in a store looked at the contents and put it down because it had nothing to do with either of the musicals. Interesting
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2003, 08:30:27 PM »

Mathis/Mancini
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2003, 08:33:56 PM »

Norway's Group!
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2003, 08:38:31 PM »

Blake Edwards did 34 Film/TV projects together. That is an amazing collobration. Perhaps equalled by Stephen Spielberg and John Williams

Edwards/Mancini collobration
10 (1979)
Blind Date (1987)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
Darling Lili (1970)
Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
Experiment in Terror (1962)
Fine Mess, A (1986)
Great Race, The (1965)  
Gunn (1967)
High Time (1960)
"Julie" (1992) (TV)
Justin Case (1988) (TV)
Man Who Loved Women, The (1983)
Mister Cory (1957)
"Mr. Lucky" (1959)
Operation Petticoat (1959)
Party, The (1968)
"Peter Gunn" (1958) (TV)
Peter Gunn (1989) (TV)
Pink Panther Strikes Again, The (1976)
Pink Panther, The (1964)
Return of the Pink Panther, The (1975)
Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)
S.O.B. (1981)
Shot in the Dark, A (1964)
Son of the Pink Panther (1993)
Sunset (1988)
Switch (1991)
That's Life! (1986)
This Happy Feeling (1958)
Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
Victor/Victoria (1982)
What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? (1966)

Spielberg/Williams

1941 (1979)
Always (1989)
"Amazing Stories" (1985)
Amistad (1997) 7
Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001) )
Catch Me If You Can (2002)  
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Empire of the Sun (1987)  
Hook (1991)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989))
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
Jaws (1975)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Lost World: Jurassic Park, The (1997)
Minority Report (2002)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)  
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Schindler's List (1993)
Sugarland Express, The (1974)
Unfinished Journey, The (1999)
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2003, 08:42:16 PM »

I loved THE WILD ROVERS, too. I like STAR! more than DARLING LILI, but I like it, too, and I'd love to see a real quality DVD of it appear. STAR! was slated to be released last summer when HELLO DOLLY was released, and then it was pulled at the last minute with no explanation. Maybe 2004 will be its year. Hey, if Fox can release MYRA BRECKINRIDGE and VALLEY OF THE DOLLS in 2004, why not STAR!? And, of course, we want LAURA in 2004 as well from Fox.

Those Disney tin Vault releases will be coming in April. I plan to buy each of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2003, 08:45:41 PM »

Those Disney tin Vault releases will be coming in April. I plan to buy each of them.

I saw that. I thought they were supposed to be out this year.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2003, 08:48:25 PM »

I really, REALLY wanted Henry Mancini to win his fourth Oscar for "Whistling Away the Dark." The song lost to "For All We Know." And the Beatles won the song score Oscar for LET IT BE over Mancini's for DARLING LILI. He didn't win his fourth Oscar until VICTOR/VICTORIA 12 years later.

At the beginning of 1968, Julie Andrews was the biggest movie star in the world and had been for three years. By the end of the year, she was ranked #3 in the world. By the time of the release of DARLING LILI, she couldn't get arrested in the movies and took that TV contract for her ABC series that was one of the landmarks in TV history, even if it did only last one season. It won her her only Emmy.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2003, 08:51:59 PM »

I saw that. I thought they were supposed to be out this year.

They were. Disney gave the excuse that their plants were so busy churning out THE LION KING, SLEEPING BEAUTY, and FINDING NEMO DVDs by the millions that they couldn't meet their deadline on the Vault releases. Whether that was the real reason or not is open to speculation.

Michael

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2003, 08:52:36 PM »

Fox can release MYRA BRECKINRIDGE

I would love the the commentary track to include Michael Sarne, Raquel Welch, Rex Reed, Tom Selleck and Farrah Fawcett
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 08:57:35 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2003, 08:55:17 PM »

About THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, I had a majority of college prep level ninth graders who had never heard of Sherlock Holmes, never read a story, book, or seen a movie with the character and who needed lots of background to fully appreciate "The Speckled Band" when we read it. I'm not at all surprised that Tom Sawyer was added by the nitwits at the studio trying to bring in a character the teen guys might know. Trouble is, I'll bet they didn't know who Tom Sawyer was either.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2003, 08:56:37 PM »

I would love the the commentary track to include Michael Sarne, Raquel Welch, Rex Reed and Farrah Fawcett

Sarne is going to provide commentary, but I don't think any of the others will participate.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2003, 09:00:16 PM »

What care I if it is a slow posting day?  I care not.  What care I if we achieve a new low?  I care not.  For I shall be laughing and laughing.

Days of Wine and Roses is a wonderful film, beautifully directed by Mr. Blake Edwards, and it features one of Mr. Henry Mancini's most excellent scores.  I started to listen to the commentary track but Mr. Edwards should not have been left alone in a room to do it.  He is totally ill-at-ease, has no idea what a commentary track is, and it just comes and goes in spurts.  They should have had someone in the room with him asking him questions and leading him.

Michael

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2003, 09:03:41 PM »

Sarne is going to provide commentary, but I don't think any of the others will participate.

He destroyed his directing career with that film. It was another 23 years until he made another english language film.

Too bad that the actors are not participating. It would have been interesting to hear from especially Tom Selleck and Farrach Fawcett pre-stardom. Actually I was curious Roger Herren had to say about be "rode" by Raquel Welch in his one and only film experience. The only other living actors of note are George Furth and Calvin Lockhart. Then there was Geneviève Waïte who was married to John Phillips at one time and was in Michael Sarnes other film Joanna
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2003, 09:05:17 PM »

Yes, some directors are simply at sea when it comes to commentaries. I think the worst was poor George Sidney who just rambled and rambled for both THE HARVEY GIRLS and SHOW BOAT.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2003, 09:06:25 PM »

Yes, some directors are simply at sea when it comes to commentaries. I think the worst was poor George Sidney who just rambled and rambled for both THE HARVEY GIRLS and SHOW BOAT.

At least on Victor/Victoria Blake Edwards was there with his wife Julie Edwards
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 09:06:52 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2003, 09:09:38 PM »

He destroyed his directing career with that film. It was another 23 years until he made another english language film.

Too bad that the actors are not participating. It would have been interesting to hear from especially Tom Selleck and Farrach Fawcett pre-stardom. Actually I was curious Roger Herren had to say about be "rode" by Raquel Welch in his one and only film experience. The only other living actors of note are George Furth and Calvin Lockhart. Then there was Geneviève Waïte who was married to John Phillips at one time and was in Michael Sarnes other film Joanna

From what I understand, Sarne had only himself to blame. He was stoned throughout the entire movie and hardly knew what was happening from shot to shot.

In the cases of the others, I think it's just a bad memory best forgotten. I wouldn't mind hearing Tom Selleck talking about working with Mae West at that stage of her career. We know she was so feeble in SEXTETTE that she was barely functioning. But she looks more "with it" in MYRA, and Tom might have had some interesting experiences to relate in his one scene with her. I'm sure Sarne will go into how Raquel and Mae despised each other.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2003, 09:11:48 PM »

At least on Victor/Victoria Blake Edwards was there with his wife Julie Edwards

True, and I keep meaning to listen to that track. I've had the disc for awhile and have never listened to their commentaries.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2003, 09:15:10 PM »

Well, it's past midnight here in the East, and I'm off to bed. Went to a lovely dinner party tonight, and have a day-long drop-in tomorrow with food and a movie. I hope it's THE ITALIAN JOB (either version).

Good night, all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up