Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE TOWN  (Read 19674 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:ON THE TOWN
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 05:36:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  Dear Friend BK, you didn't mention your find at Virgin Megastore.  You were so happy to have purchased it.

My day will be quiet, I hope: some time in Toyland and a trip to the NYPL Theatre Collection, then an afternoon doing some Brain surgery.  DR FJL, we shall speak later this afternoon?

DR Laura, did your luggage ever arrive?  Did you get to the show?
 [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ VIBES FOR DR DANISE, ANTHONY, LAURA, AND ALL OF US POOR BLIGHTERS! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:37:09 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 05:36:58 AM »

Pwoject Wunway Vincent IS crazy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 05:37:23 AM »

Liza Minelli and Georgia Engel!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 05:41:03 AM »

Pwoject Wunway Vincent IS crazy.

Totally insane!  Did you read Tim Gunn's story about the cut footage of the reunion and the shirts?  I love Tim Gunn.  In every interview he comes off as such a total mensch.

I forgot the TOD!

Because of certain gigantic projects involving Dear Friends, the Netflix DVDs have to wait.
CD:  Guy Haines, Susan Egan's Holiday album, Edvard Grieg "Norwegian Dances" & "Holberg Suite"
VCR:  cheap, cheap, cheap
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:41:29 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 05:50:49 AM »

When and where is dinner tonight? I have to be in Jersey City by 9 but perhaps I can meet up with everyone beforehand...

FJL

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

TPunk - We're going to 44 and X Restaurant, at 44th Street & 10th Avenue at 7:30 - you could probably join us for a good long while and still get to Jersey City in time.  Please let me know as soon as you can so I can adjust the reservation.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 06:29:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: KIBOSH!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde -
Even the band going home couldn't put the KIBOSH on their footwork.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 06:35:32 AM »

Good needle vibes Danise, if you can have such a thing as good needle vibes
That would require breaking out the ol' Victrola, methinks.

Skilled nurse vibes to Danise.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »

No changes on the media check front for me.

But der Brucer spotted my copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma on the coffee table, and picked it up so he could pick it apart.  He was expecting some extremely leftist extremist rant, and instead found what he read interesting, informative, and not a rant in the least.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 06:43:40 AM »

I don't think there can be a such thing as good needle vibes.  

Unless you're a heroin addict...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 07:04:16 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Back to work today after my shortened day on Wednesday and my vacation day yesterday.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed and very cosmopolitan BK --

The evening sounded fun and yummy, and I'm glad it was a festive gathering.  I was wondering.....by any chance, could your N.Y. assistant Jonathan have anything in common with the assistant in "Rewind?"  Enquiring minds want to know. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 07:17:30 AM »

Good morning!

Looks like a beautiful day in the offing, perhaps a bit warmer than I would like (low 70s), but the rain came and went quickly last night which I appreciated. We had an entire day of rain earlier in the week, and the ground is soggy enough.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 07:19:26 AM »

Welcome back to DR Laura.........I was beginning to wonder where you had gone??  Hopefully your luggage eventually arrived, and got delivered to your house.

Airlines -- Damn them....Damn them all to hell !

(to quote a sage and studly author)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 07:24:01 AM by MusicGuy »

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »

I awoke with a sore lower back, so I had to abandon my workout this morning. I didn't want to put a strain on parts of the anatomy that were already stiff. Instead, I got on my sofa which has heat and massage built in, and let it work on me for half an hour. Later this morning, a hot shower should also ease some of the soreness.

I don't know where the pain came from. I don't remember doing anything to put any undue stress on my back. I guess it's just the rigors of old age creeping up on me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 07:23:04 AM »

DR Edi --- Your question about "What is it, fish?"  is very understandable.  But it will become clear as you keep reading into the Benjamin books.  You will meet Grandpa Gelfinbaum.......... oy !

Also, I find that "What is it, fish?"  becomes a very zen-like way of dealing with unexpected bumps and surprises along the way.  

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »

When I was getting massaged, I did watch a couple of things recorded last night. First up was SMALLVILLE which featured an exciting introduction to the world of the Green Arrow, and Clark's first proposal to start using his powers for something other than safeguarding his friends and family. I'm really enjoying Oliver Queen/Green Arrow on the show this season. And in HD, the show has an almost movie-like grandeur to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:21 AM »

I don't think I put the assistant in the book - if you're speaking about the Brian character, it's modeled after someone else.  Of course, the book is completely fiction, but we writers do like to use people we know as models.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:36 AM »

Next came MY NAME IS EARL with Earl getting two items crossed off his list, both of them interrelated and hilarious. Giovanni Ribisi guest starred to very funny effect.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 07:25:22 AM »

I slept well, although I didn't really go to bed until about 1:45, but I slept till ten so I got my eight hours.  I'm going to shave and shower now, then walk, then go directly to the rehearsal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:20 AM »

My Virgin purchase was an import CD of Dave Brubeck's Bossa Nova album, which I really like and which isn't available in the US, at least I don't think it is.  It was the only bargain in the store.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:21 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE MOST HAPPY FELLA (OCR)

DVD - THE OFFICE, Season 2, disc 2
          THE MALTESE FALCON

DVR - last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's SUPERNATURAL
          UNDERCURRENT

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:49 AM »

If the Warners Motion Picture Masterpieces DVD set comes today (got the shipping notice on Tuesday), then add DAVID COPPERFIELD to the list of DVDs in the Friday Media Check.

That's the first one of those from the set I plan to watch. It's my favorite of the movies included.

MusicGuy

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2006, 07:41:20 AM »

Last night I let myself enjoy yet another of the short stories in "How to write a dirty book," and once again it was so much fun to be transported to the Hollywood Blvd. that I knew and walked on around 1959 to 1967.

With a short story collection, I almost never sit down and read everything through.  I prefer to enjoy the stories as a treat in the evening, so I just read one at a time.  Last night I went on a fun tour with "The Book Scout."

I have been surprised by the wide range of emotions and topics covered so far in the stories I have finished.  I think I somehow got the impression that the whole tone of the book was going to be very light, but there have been a couple of shockers along the way.

I was genuinely upset and disturbed by the content of "Your Worst Nightmare," not because it wasn't well put together, but because it was too real.  For anyone who has had to listen to the vile ugly rantings of people who are obsessed with either racial issues, anti-semitism, or homophobia, it can be understood as to why the old gentleman would choose the course of action that he did.

What made me feel so badly about myself, was that I wanted him to pull the trigger.

But I have also had the pleasure of reading the very unexpected twists and outcome of "How to write a dirty book,"  and I thoroughly enjoyed the story about "Maddie."

I also have a new favorite character name now -- Wardell Bisbayne !  

Sorry for the long rant......... I just think that this short story collection is a wonderful little gem.  Thank you BK.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 09:08:29 PM by MusicGuy »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2006, 07:43:50 AM »

Grandpa Gelfinbaum is a sculptor of sorts.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:58 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.

Just before I left, our main desktop computer went to Silicon Heaven (a Red Dwarf reference) and I lost my email address book. I checked email while on my trip, but I didn't log onto our site, since I was a guest in someone's home and didn't feel comfortable spending the time catching up. Luckily I have my swell new tiny wireless laptop to use now.

Elmore, I did get to the show; thank you very much! I loved it.

Now I must catch up. The house is a wreck!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2006, 07:50:24 AM »

My Virgin purchase was an import CD of Dave Brubeck's Bossa Nova album

Dave! I have loved Dave since I was a wee tot!

When I was in college, we performed "The Gates of Justice" with a combined force of the Men's Glee Club, the Full Chorus, the Women's Chorus...about 400 voices, for public television. The piece required a small 16 voice chorale to sing certain sections. I somehow found the courage to audition for this (I wasn't a great singer but after all, it was DAVE!) and was chosen for the "small group". What a treat to sing this with Dave and his 3 sons. I met the whole family and ended up becoming friends with Darius, who came back to visit a few times.

Dave was one of the nicest people I've ever met---totally unpretentious and sweet. Really, the whole family was adorable.

(Bending over as if to pick something up...)  "Oooh...did I just drop a name?"   ;)

After we formed this small group, we realized that a group of that size was useful for touring so we went on many nice trips to ensemble festivals around the southeast. It was the only thing I missed when I ditched music school for film school.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2006, 07:53:06 AM »

The house is a wreck!

Welcome to my world! (Where is DR Matt when you need him?)
 :)

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2006, 07:56:56 AM »

Welcome to my world! (Where is DR Matt when you need him?)
 :)

LOL! Join the club! With my back feeling like it does, my kitchen floor (usually my Friday chore) probably won't get touched by a mop today.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 07:57:24 AM »

Tivo/VCR alert:

TCM is playing two Russ Meyer movies tonight...FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL, KILL....and MUDHONEY....I have seen neither one, but am looking quite forward to the event!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up