Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LIVE FROM TOWN HALL  (Read 20460 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:LIVE FROM TOWN HALL
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 06:27:56 AM »

Sorry I was E & T last night. At 10 o'clock, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I'd had three previous nights of less than seven hours of sleep a night, so I was ready to crash, and I did. Got 9 hours of sleep last night. Most welcome, I must say!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 06:29:40 AM »

I watched a few more OFFICE episodes last night and especially enjoyed the "Daughter's Day" episode. Toby's daughter was simply adorable while Stanley's was an obnoxious brat. And the show got poignant when Michael watched a tape of a kiddie show he was on as a child and then the kids asked him questions that made him realize what a lonely and empty life he's living.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 06:32:07 AM »

I starting watching HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS on DVD to get in my head what the DVD looked like before the network HD version came on.

When it did, I was frustrated that ABC chose to use a cropped HD version of the movie (HBO does this with certain HD versions of movies, too, and it always makes me furious). So, I turned off the network version (which was not only cropped but also edited for time) and put back on the DVD version which looked great in upconverted standard definition.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 06:33:03 AM »

Right now, I'm burning myself a copy of the Robert Taylor movie THE CROWD ROARS, and later while I prepare and eat lunch, I'll watch DAVID COPPERFIELD.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: JOCUND!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
And the band, in a JOCUND mood, played hopscotch.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 06:36:02 AM »

Page Two OLIVER & COMPANY Chase!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 06:37:38 AM »

Yes, I was sad to read about Phyllis Kirk's death. I enjoyed seeing that one THIN MAN episode in the THIN MAN DVD movie set and would love to see more of them. I watched the show as a kid, but my memories are at best hazy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:29 AM »

DR MS - The Christy Minstrels were a group of singers in the 19th Century.  When Randy Sparks started his group, he called them "New" and used the CM name to let people know what type of music they were going to be singing, although they quickly moved to more contemporary folk music.

DR MBARNUM - who is Mrs Sparks?  Randy did some "acting" as well, most notable in COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL with Miss Mamie Van Doren, Mr Conway Twitty, Ms Pamela Mason and other distinguished thespians.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2006, 06:45:28 AM »

Can hardly wait to "hear" the concert!  

Well it sounds as if a certain label was in charge of Mr BK's car arrangements this morning.  But by now he is in the air!

DR MATTH - I just remember a couple of episodes of THE THIN MAN (tv) specifically, but I remember thinking the apartment, the car, and the clothes of Nick and Nora were the utmost in sew-fisty-kashun.  They had a suspended staircase with unusual newel posts that fascinated me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 06:48:56 AM »

The original Christy Minstrels probably wouldn't go over too well these days.  They performed in blackface.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 06:50:29 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!

Sounds like there were great concerts on both coasts! ;D

...and in the midwest, too.  After getting home from work, I watched the end of the Michigan-Iowa football game, had a quick bite to eat, then went with DH Richard to Oxford, OH, for the fall concert by the Miami University Collegiate Chorale and Men's Glee Club.  Richard is a proud Glee Club alum and always joins them to sing the traditional songs - "Johnny Schmoeker" and the Miami fight song and alma mater.

The Collegiate Chorale and Glee Club are conducted by Ethan Sperry, whose father

Paul Sperry

was the guest soloist with both groups.  In a delightful bit of synchronicity, in his patter Paul mentioned first hearing the song he was about to sing (Brazilian folk song, "Azulao") at a concert in New York's Town Hall.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 06:50:52 AM »

Today is the 64th birthday of:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 06:52:50 AM »

My rant for yesterday and later today:

Why the *$^(* are sports games SO important that the networks disrupt their regular schedules and displease millions of people?  The numbers who watch NON SPORTS programs is much greater?  Of course the answer has to be money.  But it is MOST distressing....

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2006, 07:08:40 AM »

Why the *$^(* are sports games SO important that the networks disrupt their regular schedules and displease millions of people?  The numbers who watch NON SPORTS programs is much greater?  Of course the answer has to be money.  But it is MOST distressing....

For the same reason that there is an entire sports section in the daily newspaper while arts coverage is quite limited. Our country is sports-obsessed.

I'm not defending it, mind you. It makes me just as angry as you.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »

I think maybe I'll go down and get the laundry started a little earlier than usual. That way, once I get into the movie of DAVID COPPERFIELD, I won't be interrupted in putting the clothes in the dryer and later folding them.

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2006, 07:14:57 AM »

Congratulations, DR Charles Pogue, on your triumphant return to the stage!  I'm thinking of trying to get down there to see your play - any advice?  Anybody from the midwest want to join me?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2006, 07:17:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  The original Christy Minstrels were one more mistrel show of the 19th Century.  Everyone who was anyone saw them. They were a huge success, so huge that Gilbert and Sullivan parodied them in their UTOPIA, LTD.

DR MBarnum, I will tell you offsite a story about Barry McGuire's time of duty as a cast replacement in HAIR on Broadway.  It's not for a family site.

Randy Sparks did the English versions of the songs sung in the movie THE SINGING NUN.

BK, I am thrilled about the events of last evening, and I look forward to the recording.  I am having a hard time typing this as I am kicking myself at the same time for not getting a ticket.

Today: a check of the BABES lyric sheets with the CDs, then more brain surgery.  BK, I will need a fax number to send you some vocal writing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2006, 07:17:31 AM »

Good morning all.  I am happy to see that my laptop is still working very well. Whew!  I spent 2 days trying to get it to work after uninstalling Norton, but to no avail.  I think I know why now.  The software in the DELL that restores everything to the way it was the day you bought it without reinstalling everything is a Symantec product. So, I have the feeling that if you take out the Symantec files out of a Dell computer, you're basically screwed. So, I'm back to Norton, but it's working so that's all I care about

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2006, 07:21:26 AM »

I think I shall go out and find something yummy for breakfast and then buy something wonderful to cook this afternoon.  My brother may be staying here tonight, of course he won't let me know until the last minute, so I need to wash all the bedding in the guest room today and prepare for him to come, just in case.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure that, the way the sports contracts are written, the networks are obligated to broadcast the entire game.  And you are not alone in your rant.  Der Brucer rants on a weekly basis about CBS screwing around with it's Sunday schedule.  (Me, I couldn't care less.)

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »

I'm pretty sure that, the way the sports contracts are written, the networks are obligated to broadcast the entire game.  And you are not alone in your rant.  Der Brucer rants on a weekly basis about CBS screwing around with it's Sunday schedule.  (Me, I couldn't care less.)

I know they make a lot more money on advertising during sporting events than regular shows.  I'm sure that has something to do with it.  They probably charge more for the ads that would either be shown in overtime or immediately after the game as well.  It's always about money

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2006, 07:52:15 AM »

Off to find some food. Not sure what I'm hungry for....I'm thinking pancakes and sausage with lots of maple syrup...mmmm

FJL

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2006, 08:06:31 AM »

I'm off to Brooklyn to celebrate my parents' anniversary, which is actually not until Nov. 2, but they leave to Florida during the week.  We will dine, appropriately enough, at the Floridian in Brooklyn, definitely not to be confused with the Grand Floridian in Florida.

Maple syrup does sound like a good idea.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2006, 08:11:39 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]SCRAPPLE!!!!![/size][/move]

Just thought I'd throw that in.   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2006, 08:18:59 AM »

And danged if it isn't time to get goin' to work again!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2006, 08:27:13 AM »

I think maybe I'll go down and get the laundry started a little earlier than usual. That way, once I get into the movie of DAVID COPPERFIELD

I love David Copperfield. I even like the cheesey TV version from the '70's.

TNT did a nice adaptation a few years ago that I worked on doing their trailers and promos. Paul Bettany played Steerforth, which to me is always the most interesting character. He was great! I told the producer "This guy is going to be a big star". I'm happy to see he's done so well!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »

Cillaliz, I'm glad you're getting your computer problems sorted out. Considering that i've only had one for 7 years, it's surprising how dependent I've become and feel lost when it's down for the count.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »

I think I shall go out and find something yummy for breakfast

I'm waiting for my friend to call so we can grab breakfast before he heads back to Nashville. I'm getting very hungry!

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure that, the way the sports contracts are written, the networks are obligated to broadcast the entire game.

Maybe so they don't have another "Heidi" Bowl? I think I was about the only person who was happy that a network stuck to its schedule and preempted football for "Heidi"! (I am not a sports fan and dislke the whole testosterone-laden culture that surrounds it.)

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2006, 08:42:48 AM »

The New Christy Minstrels

were the first recording artists I collected, after seeing them perform at the Michigan State Fair in the early '60s.  I still have my LPs and am delighted to see that they are alive and kicking.  Now, if they'd just inspire the release of the movie Advance to the Rear on DVD...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up