Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUTANT MOUSE  (Read 54765 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MUTANT MOUSE
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:15:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes jumped the gun which is, I suppose, better than the gun jumping the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the mutant cows come home - or should that be the MOOtant cows?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:28:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MUTANT MOUSE
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:18:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: INCHOATE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 12:34:22 AM »

Rodzinski's Back yard.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »

Rodzinski's Back yard.

Wow!  That must cost him a fortune to maintain!

;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:35:35 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:35:23 AM »

Out to the Hudson.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »

Another view of TPunk's cloistered existence.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 12:38:30 AM »

Great pictures, as always, Tomovoz!  Keep 'em comin'!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »

But, I must be going to sleep now.  It's late and I'm cold and tired.

Good night, Tomovoz and BK!

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 12:48:53 AM »

TOTD.  I have nothing to contribute!
Not a celebrated event in Australia.
I will be visiting a grave on All Souls Day.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:49:22 AM »

G'night DR George.
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:55:03 AM »

My poor mouse sends its regards to bk's Mutant friend:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:17:02 AM »

INCHOATE:

In "How To Write a Dirty Book", Bruce Kimmel distills inchoate fantasies into fine fictional reveries.

der Brucer

When will the word of the day be sycophant?

Marc (in a huff)  - I'll have to get you another sycophant.
Wilhelmina - Don't bother, I have five on speed dial!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 04:37:22 AM »

Favorite Halloween adventure: Greg and I worked on a documentary in Oaxaca immediately after a small earthquake. We shot in cemeteries during "Day of the Dead" and had lots of Mexican families make us welcome in their homes. A beautiful time to be in Mexico.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 04:45:40 AM »

Our favorite Halloween costumes: I was a scarecrow, with a big burlap head, and Greg was a crow. I used to really enjoy inventing and making costumes but now it seems like too much work!

When I was making the wings for Greg's crow, I told him I wished we had some real feathers. We went out to the fabric and craft store to see if we could find any. I found a black feather boa to dismantle, so we came home.

The music room was covered in a light dusting of feathers. Our aged cat must have heard his cue to provide a service, so he brought in a dove and slaughtered it in the house.

Months later, we were still finding feathers behind pieces of furniture, picture frames. etc. I'm sure whenever we move, we will find a few more!

Least successful costume: I thought it would be interesting to dress as members of the Heaven's Gate cult, with black NikesŪ, purple shrouds (emblazoned with the words "Just did It") and dead makeup underneath, carrying applesauce and vodka. But since the story happened so early in the year, nobody knew what we were supposed to be!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 04:47:08 AM »

Note about all of these costumes: it's better to have a costume in which you can eat or drink without dismantling your head.

Edisaurus

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 04:51:07 AM »

My Best Individual costume: I made an outfit out of a black bodysuit and covered it with 35 and 16mm film. This was the year "Edward Scissorhands" came out, so I dressed as him, but was covered in film. I wielded huge garden shears and called myself "Amy Splicerhands". I would occasionally edit my costume and give a few frames of film (probably some crappy film I worked on!) to friends at the party. I was quite menacing but sweet.

Edisaurus

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 04:52:37 AM »

I won't suck the entire air out of the room by telling you about my most memorable Halloween---I'll save that for later. Suffice it to say it CHANGED MY LIFE!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 05:10:08 AM »

TOTD.  I have nothing to contribute!
Not a celebrated event in Australia.
I will be visiting a grave on All Souls Day.

If it's Derek's, say a prayer for me!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 05:24:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  I love having an earlier bit of daylight, and I love Halloween.  There were all these spooky shows on tv as I surfed the channels last night.  

DR MBarnum, nearly everything you watch frightens me!

DR George, congratulations on the new mailing address! That's a good sign.  If you don't know Menotti's THE TELEPHONE, it's wonderful, especially the big aria "Hello? Hello? Oh Marguerite, it's you."

Today, I have to assemble my travel materials: the work I'll take with me, things for my student visit on Friday, all my meds, by Brain CD (with bonus material).  I have a stop at Toyland for a couple of hours, then I come back, perhaps try to connect the new DVD player, tidy a bit, and begin packing.  Tomorrow, I'll need all the travel vibes you can send: the older I get, the more I hate flying.  I'm neurotic enough.

TOD:  I don't have a favorite but I have good memories of several:
  1.  the sweet, vinegary smell of the syrup, and my mother and Aunt Jenny buttering their hands to make popcorn balls for my mother's favorite kids when they showed up that night
  2.  Trick or treating after dark with my brother Tom and the Hawkins boys on Goldman Avenue; at one house - what was their last name? - when a crowd had assembled at the front door for candy, the man who owned the house came screaming down the driveway wearing a skull's mask and sheet and scrred the hell out of us.
  3.  Marching in the Village Halloween Parade the first year I lived in Manhattan; Kayper Wilson (where is show now?) and I sewed bib overalls together so we could go as siamese twins.  It's a bitch to move; how did those Hilton girls do it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 05:44:36 AM »

I'll be back.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 05:47:03 AM »

I am also back and caught up on all the posts, but forgot what the TOD was.
When I come home from work I will catch up on my email,
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 05:52:38 AM »

Hey There! Ho There! Hi There!

Lovely pictures Tom!

I'm not sure about worst and best halloweens.  One I enjoyed was at a costume party.  I went as Mary Hartman (apparently my alter ego at the time).  It was a great party, and I remember getting somewhat stuck in a crowded small hallway with my face pressed against the naked back of a lovely man dressed as a baby (as I recall).  He had a beautiful back, and it was nice to have the opportunity to see it so closely.    Silly thing to remember, I suppose, but it seemed to be the highlight of the party.  He and his wife were both very sweet people too.

Best Halloweens may have been taking my nephew out trick or treating a few years.  Very happy times.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:53:15 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »

DR Sandra has a lovely costume for tomorrow. I will post a photo of her in it. I, sadly, have grown up and do not wear a costume at Halloween.

I am looking forward to the Jewish-Vietnamese children from next door coming to trick-or-treat. I have a special treat for them.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 06:43:45 AM »

The neighborhood I live in is known as one of the best places to trick-or-treat  in the area. I don't know how we got our reputation, but we get HUNDREDS of visitors. My neighbors often dress in costume, but we never know who will dress as what until the actual night. Dracula is popular, as are witches. We now have a pirate couple, as well. And those are just the residents. There's usually a party down the street for said residents, with or without costumes. It's fun. Always lots of dogs in costume, too.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 07:01:27 AM »

When I lived in Flatbush in the 1960's, trick-or-treating was a very social thing, and kids who really didn't necessarily play with each other during the year somehow banded together in this group and went from house to house, most of which were decorated for Halloween to some extent.   We moved to a neighborhood with large apartment buildings when I was ten years old, and somehow trick-or-treating wasn't the same in apartment buildings.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 07:11:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: INCHOATE!
Casey would waltz
With an INCHOATE blonde
And,in her honor, the band played "Mary Had a Little Lamb," "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf," and other children's songs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 07:12:01 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day here, and it's going to be in the 70s for the next three days, so a warm late October!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »

The pictures are as grand as ever, DR Tom. Thanks for them!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »

I have no memories of the costumes I wore as a kid on Halloween. I knew I stopped going out after the year I was in the sixth grade.

As an adult, the three most memorable costumes I can remember putting together were a convict, a boxer, and Merlin which is my all-time favorite. My partner at the time took some pictures, but they are long since gone.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »

CBS' slate is all reruns tonight, so I'll be enjoying HEROES at 9 and JUSTICE (which airs at 9) at 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up