Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MY COMELY FEET  (Read 31339 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MY COMELY FEET
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »

DR SWW - a couple of days ago DR JMK gave a list of codes that could be used for 20% your order at DEEP DISCOUNT DVD....I can't find the list, but you can do a search.  It was a LONG list and will certainly save you some money VS Amazon!  
I've just started comparing prices between the two, and will be adding them to the spreadsheet I've set up for der Brucer after I get back from work today.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 05:59:53 AM »

Doctor Who gets us to Page Two???

Well, as one of the Eccleston stories was titled, The Doctor Dances!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 06:03:16 AM »

And away I go to work!

(PS to TMC - George Ball and Amanda McBroom are on the BK produced OCR CD of Heartbeats.  Great voice, his, I think.)

FJL

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 06:19:45 AM »

First musical i saw was HELLO DOLLY starring at the time Ethel Merman.  For some reason, i have an indelible memory of what she looked like doing the line "Bridge that gap fellas, find me an empty lap, fellas."  Almost did it as if whispering, cocking her body as if telling the waiters a secret. but that stage whisper rang out clarion-like to the rear mezz where we sat.  Can't explain it well, but it was a lovely intro to the excitement of the stage.

First play was interestingly enough FOUR ON A GARDEN, starring Carol Channing and Sid Caesar.  My father managed to get ninth row orchestra seats for this, and Art Carney and Sheila MacRae were in the audience, and were SO gracious about giving autographs.  The show was a series of playlets, and only one of them was really good IIRC, but it was loads of fun being there.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 06:23:53 AM »

FOUR ON A GARDEN of course went on to be immortalized in a BK Trivia question many years later.  :)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »

This morning I am meeting my birdwatching friend who lives here in the wintertime.

So your friend migrates along with the birds. Cool!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

William E. Lurie

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »

For my 9th birthday in 1951 my parents took me to see the road company of SOUTH PACIFIC at the Shubert Theatre in Chicago.  We had great seats (5th or 6th row center orchestra) and I was quite impressed by the scenery.  I loved the show and it was my first experience hearing the word "bastard" - a word I was told not to repeat when I used it the next day.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 06:39:12 AM »

TOD:

First musical: Touring company of "Hair", which came to Atlanta quite a while after its Broadway run. I loved the music from it when I was in HS so I begged my parents to take me.

I listened to the album recently and decided that the songs weren't really that great; a lot of them amounted to lists:
Hashish: a list of drugs
Sodomy: a list of...well, you know...
Colored Spade: a list of perjorative, racist terms for AA's
I'm Black: A list of "colors" of the people in the cast
Ain't Got No: A list of things they ain't got
Initials: A list of acronyms strung together in a loose-fitting sentence
I Got Life: A list of things that they *have* got
Hair: a list of ways to wear your hair

The list goes on...

I will say that I do enjoy the movie...

First play: Aristophanes' "The Birds", done by a local theatre company. LOVED IT!!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 06:42:23 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 06:54:14 AM »

Re: last night's TAR.

spoilers.

I'm happy that my two favorite teams finished first and second (although in the reverse order).

I get why some people here were sad at the outcome. But come on, the Chos were starting to drive me crazy.  They made mistake after mistake last night. I really liked them. But by the end i was not too sad to see them go.  It's a race for a million dollars. And they were not playing competitively. Or smartly.  

They knew rob and kimberly had hired a taxi from the airport. Yet they tried to go out on their own without knowing where they were going.  And they kept waiting and waiting for the Bama Mamas.

The Bama Mamas also drove me crazy.  Driving off like that without telling the brothers was heartless (after all the Chos did for them). They should have told them they were leaving. And why use the Chos for the entire episode first?

I will be content if Rob/kimberly, james/tyler, and dustin/kandace are the F3. I don't really like the first team that much. But they played a great race and last night were good. And J/T and D/K were great last night. I especially loved how the Beauty Queens were trying to lose the models. Most people try to latch onto others.  I am really excited that we could have our first all female team to win.

My choices are: Beauty Queens, Models, Yellers, Mamas.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 07:14:29 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I'm at work for a day, then I'll be off for 3, work Friday, and off for 3 more.  Not bad.

TOD - first professional musical:  The Music Man touring company with Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon at Detroit's Riviera Theatre:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 07:15:56 AM »

First professional play I ever saw...and maybe the first, period... was, I believe, a children's theatre production of BEAUTY & THE BEAST at the Emory Theatre in Cincinnati as a school outing when I was in the fourth grade.  It was very memorable and haunting...and owed more than a little to Jean Cocteau's film.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2006, 07:21:12 AM »

Good morning!

It's sunny but fairly cold this morning. We might get a touch of snow tomorrow, they say, but I'll believe it when I see it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2006, 07:26:21 AM »

I was privileged to have a childless aunt and uncle who took my brother and me as their own and who took us to NYC once or twice a year for much of my growing up years. We almost always did musicals, however, as my uncle had a hard time following the plots of plays in the theater. He probably couldn't follow musicals well either, but at least there was singing and dancing as compensations.

Anyway, my first professional production was MY FAIR LADY at the Mark Hellinger Theater. Julie Andrews and Rex Harrison had left after two years and were either playing it in London or in rehearsals there, and I saw their immediate replacements: Sally Ann Howes and Edward Mulhare. I was very young (7) but I remember Doolittle's two numbers absolutely stopping the show cold and the audience standing and cheering them.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006, 07:29:01 AM »

The first professional play I can remember going to was COME BLOW YOUR HORN at the Dock Street Theatre in Charleston, SC. I remember falling in love with the actor playing the younger brother. I'd have to get my program out of the filing cabinet to remember his name.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 07:31:53 AM »

TOD: 1776 on Broadway. I must have been around  12.  The public library organized a trip into the city and I signed up and paid my money.  Everyone else on the trip was  a blue haired lady... but I didn't care, I was going to see a Broadway musical!!  

(This must have been 1969/1970)   We had front row mezzanine seats and I loved it!!!

I took several other trips with the library ladies after that... I remember going to the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford Ct... I believe we saw a Midsummers' Night  Dream and The Tempest there (2 different trips)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »

NFL football ran over by a good bit last night, but I set the DVR to record an hour past 11 p.m. so I should have gotten both COLD CASE and WITHOUT A TRACE somewhere on the DVR. Also looking forward to last night's DEXTER as we're getting closer and closer to the end of the first season.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2006, 07:38:23 AM »

I took several other trips with the library ladies after that... I remember going to the Shakespeare Festival in Stratford Ct... I believe we saw a Midsummers' Night  Dream and The Tempest there (2 different trips)

DR Vixmom, my early play memories are of those same two Shakespeare works, plus Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth and Shaw's Saint Joan.  I saw all of them at

The Hilberry Theatre

in Detroit, while in junior high and high school.  Can't remember which was first, but they were all wonderful.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2006, 07:42:32 AM »

Hey, Dakota Celt,

Have you seen any North (or South for that matter) Dakota quarters. I collect them and I have not yet seen ANY ND quarters. The South Dakota quarter was released recently and I haven't seen any from them either.

If you have any extra, I would glady send you a regular quarter in exchange for a North Dakota quarter.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John today, so I'd better head down now and start cleaning up a bit.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »

A foggy day in Oakland town....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2006, 08:10:02 AM »

Pea soup it is out there...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2006, 08:10:59 AM »

I didn't want to get up, but I was mindful of the short work week, which makes today very do-able!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2006, 08:12:27 AM »

I brushed my teeth.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2006, 08:13:02 AM »

I combed my hair.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 08:13:25 AM »

I dressed!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 08:14:05 AM »

And now here I am....having caught up with the good posts, the bad puns and...

But I care not.  It's THANKSGIVING WEEK.

And I give thanks for and to almost all of you for being an alternate, supportive and caring family.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:23:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »

And now the reminder you've all been waiting for:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Save the Cheerleader....save the World![/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »

TOD - first professional musical:  The Music Man touring company with Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon at Detroit's Riviera Theatre:

Oh Wow! I love Joan Weldon and Forrest Tucker!! Joan of course starred in that giant ant movie THEM!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2006, 08:53:04 AM »

I think the first professional theater I saw was CHICAGO when it toured through Portland a few years back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2006, 09:02:26 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Almost got eight hours of sleep.  

The Brain reservation line is 323 664-2787 - no one may get back to you for a day or two until they resolve the problem they're having, but leave your name and ticket request.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up