Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW GIRL IN TOWN  (Read 28328 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NEW GIRL IN TOWN
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:40:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had zing and zip, not necessarily in that order, and now it is time for you to post until the new cows in town come home.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:21:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NEW GIRL IN TOWN
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: BOMBINATE!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:50:43 AM »

The workers at Undershaft Munitions were all abuzz with their company's record.  According to the bean counters, only one BOMBINATE was a dud!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:19:57 AM »

Hello and Goodbye. More work before Thanksgiving. I'll be in and out as time allows. I have my performance evaulation at 10am (should go smoothly, I'm not expecting any problems) and then I have to finish my annual little project.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:25:55 AM »

Well, well, well.  (Three, count 'em, three wells!)

I just did a comparison between DDDVD and Amazon on those Doctor Who discs I'm interested in.  Amazon beat out DDDVD, even on those that were only 20% off.  And since Amazon is selling some for as much as 50% off...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:37:01 AM »

Ah, performance evaluations.  They do seem to be all about the corporate attitude towards the employees.  Right now, I'm getting wonderful reviews - I've had to ask my supervisors how they think I can improve - and that seems to come from the culture of the store.  The attitude in the store is to make the customers want to return, and that reflects on our treatment of each other, as well.  We strive to be friendly and helpful for our customers and our fellows.

That wasn't so back at that damn insurance company I retired from.  There, they had a definite pecking order.  Clerks were at the bottom of the order, treated nastily by nearly everyone, scapegoated for nearly everything.  Claims adjusters cringed when their supervisors went by, and used the clerks as their punching bags.  Supervisors despised the office manager, who in turn was baffled by why he couldn't get the work out of them that was being demanded by the regional office.  Nobody really liked or trusted anyone else.

So, when it would come to the reviews, I could count on all sorts of nasty comments being made, things that were simply not justified, just one level blaming what was wrong on the next level down.

Maybe that's why I don't watch The Office.  I'm outta there, and don't need to go back.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:37:38 AM »

Good morning, Edi!

Good morning, Elmore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 04:54:09 AM »

Woody!  Good morning.  You're always so chipper at this time, and I feel las if I'm desperately pouring coffee down my throat, hoping the engine will start and the windows defrost.

Good morning, all!  I'm listening to a demo of one of the most wonderful songs ever.  It's called "Here On Earth," and - for whatever reason - it's simplicity and beauty grab my throat and stir me.  Today, I have to finish scoring it, and my biggest fear is that I won't do it justice, which is why I've kept it to till the end of the scoring.

Dear Friend BK, it sounds like Merrill will be wonderful.  I am looking forward to meeting everyone when I arrive next week.  Next week? Oy!

TOD:  I still think the greatest poster design ever was the one for FOLLIES and the crack in the American Dream.  

I have very few posters, mostly Goodspeed and New York State Theatre Institute productions I've done and my Carnegie Hall poster for JUBILEE with Bea Arthur, Tyne Daly, Alice Ripley, and a lot of other wonderful actors, along with the horribles, Sandy Duncan and Herb Ross.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:08:28 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I took today off to accompany DH Richard to the dentist's office, where he's scheduled for a rather elaborate procedure.  Before then, I'm meeting a friend for breakfast at Java Johnny's.

TOD - 1776
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »

Yes I agree the Follies poster is a classic.

I had quite a few, but they seemed to have disappeared over the many moves over the years. (I had a reproduction of the Follies poster without the credits)

On the Twenth Cenury Century with its wonderful art deco look and mylar on it.

I also had a A Chorus Line that had mylar, but I am not sure which in the long line of posters it stood.

I might still have in Montreal an autigraph poster of The Most Happy Fella that was revived on Broadway in the so called two panio version.

There is also an artist named James McMillun who did a lot of work for Lincoln Center.  Among them was the psoters he did for Anything Goes with Patti LuPone. There is a book of his art work. I bought in as a remainder at Barnes and Noble so it might be out there.

The above artwork came from the website www.bookcloseouts.com so you still might be able to get a copy if it interests you.

Also I can recommend another book by Steven Suskin called: A MUST SEE! Brilliant Broadway Artwork. This is more of a history of Broadway via the art work of posters.

Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 05:23:16 AM »

I know it's not a page turn yet, but I can't resist after DR Michael S's post:

And one for mylar!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:24:03 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:27:04 AM »

Speaking of Goodspeed (and Larry was), has anyone already mentioned this about their change in policy for their Norma Terris Theatre?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/103711.html

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 05:29:10 AM »

Good Morning all.  I had another job interview and another job offer yesterday.  I was uncomfortable yesterday though... I don't know why but I just couldn't wait to get out of the place even though I kept smiling and answering questions.

I think I am going to be contacting the first guy a little later today and see if we can't firm up deatils and perhaps I can start next week .

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 05:32:12 AM »

Bruce, this may have been asked and answered before, but will Brain be filmed and released on Kritzerland for the benefit of those who cannot make the trip to the west coast?

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 05:39:26 AM »

Re: last night's HEROES.

spoilers.

I really enjoyed last night's show.  A bunch of my favorites were on.

I guess there was no other way to make peter's living a surprise. I mean we all know he can take on other people's powers. So being around the cheerleader, it seemed pretty clear what was going to happen.

Perhaps if he hadn't explained this to the girl who brought him the paintings, then it wouldn't have been totally obvious to everyone.  Anybody else wonder why they went over those details on last night's show.  I guess they wanted everyone to understand his powers.

Btw, if the ending of last night's show had hiro just getting to charlie's party 6 months ago, then i'm wondering will they just show a scene or two from then? Will anybody else be shown in the past?

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 06:21:45 AM »

Good Morning dear Larry!! Where is the song "Here on Earth " from?  Is it part of the Brain score or is it from another show you are doing?

vixmom

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 06:22:06 AM »

And Lar... how is your dad?

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »

Mornin', Lar,

Bye, Lar.

Cillaliz

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 06:50:38 AM »

Hey Ben! I have a North Dakota in my billfold...I'll see if I can get a South Dakota today

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 06:51:30 AM »

Gotta run...mornin everyone

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 06:52:40 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, zingy, and zippy BK --

Terrific news about Ms. Merrill........and I can't wait to see what the actual "Brain" looks like, and what all he does!

MusicGuy

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 06:53:55 AM »

And a big Good morning to the lovely Cilla, the lovely Ben, and the lovely Jeanne....

and to always lovely Dr Larry (who slipped away just now).

MusicGuy

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 06:54:43 AM »

and I'm also off to a rather busy day today.  Gotta go generate some gelt......without guilt ! :)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »

Good morning, DR SWW! Sorry I missed you---I popped in before leaving for work to read last nights notes and didn't see your message until now.

TOD: Movie posters that I own: I hate to sound vain, but the only ones I have are from films I've edited. The new house has hardly any wall space, so I am going to frame some of the smaller posters I have, (11x17) for my tiny new little edit room. Thanks to DDD, I found a smaller "Daughters of the Dust" poster. Yay!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 07:40:37 AM »

Btw, if the ending of last night's show had hiro just getting to charlie's party 6 months ago, then i'm wondering will they just show a scene or two from then? Will anybody else be shown in the past?

I read next week's TV GUIDE in bed last night, and next week's episode goes back in time six months to see what EVERYBODY was doing then. I'm assuming that's the focus of the entire episode, not just a scene or two.

BTW, is the Claire's boy pal really gay or was that just a mean thing her rival could say to shoot them both down? I mean, the speech he gave about being happy with himself sort of suggested that he was gay, but until she called him that, it never occurred to me that he was. Admittedly, I have the worst gaydar on the planet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast and very cold. Not a fit day for man nor beast though the snow they thought we might have was just a mist of rain early this morning.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 07:44:06 AM »

Good call, Michael S. I have my copy of A MUST SEE! right here with me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 07:45:26 AM »

My den and bedroom are decorated in window cards from Broadway shows. In fact, I had so many that some are in storage because I ran out of suitable wall space.

In my den I have LES MIZ, A CHORUS LINE, PASSION, ANGELS IN AMERICA, and INTO THE WOODS.

In my bedroom I have my two favorites: MY FAIR LADY and CITY OF ANGELS. I also have THE MUSIC MAN.

In storage I have SWEENEY TODD, WEST SIDE STORY, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, and some others that are slipping my mind now.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:35 AM »

I have to say that I also adore '1776' that was posted above, and also I love A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 07:50:24 AM »

I've got HE'S A BULLY, CHARLIE BROWN to watch today, a Peabuts special that was new last night and also OLD CHRISTINE and CSI: MIAMI.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up