Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BK - SMOKE DETECTOR  (Read 28781 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BK - SMOKE DETECTOR
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

Dear esteemed smoke detector BK -

Do you have any plans for post-Brain?  Or can you even imagine ahead that far?

I'll have a couple of weeks off after The Brain, then I go into rehearsal for the kids show, as well as begin to put together the one-person shows for Joan Ryan and Alet Taylor.  So, plenty o' stuff.  As well as begin a new book and finish the little play I'm working on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 07:32:27 AM »

My question for ASK BK day...

What part in THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X would you like to play?

The most fun part for a man in The Brain is the alien - but I wouldn't be as good as the fellow who's doing it.  If I wasn't claustrophobic, it would be grand fun to play the title character.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 07:35:09 AM »

My guess is also that you got "behind" where the battery is, BK.  I've never known a smoke detector that you need to unscrew.  What you unscrewed was the whole sensor which is screwed onto the plate that attaches to the ceiling.  You should have just popped off the cover and there your battery will be.  That said, I know our smoke detectors take some major "elbow grease" to pop off the covers--sometimes you have to squeeze them like those child-proof aspirin bottle lids.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 07:36:02 AM »

You won't believe it.  At six-thirty this morning I was awakened by that incessant sporadic beeping again.  After what I did to what I thought was the hallway smoke detector I didn't think I'd ever hear beeping again.  But maybe whatever I dismantled and put back together in the hallway wasn't a smoke detector because I couldn't find a battery anyway.  This time I isolated the beeping to the smoke detector in the bedroom - that one wasn't too difficult in terms of locating the battery.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a fershluganah nine volt battery in the house, so off I went to the twenty-four hour market.  I put that in (it's weird how it fits in there - you just sort of lay it in and close the slot and somehow it's connected, so the beeping has stopped.  Now, just what did I take apart in the hallway that had no battery?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 07:37:02 AM »

And why did the beeping stop last night, stay stopped all night, and then resume at six-thirty in the morning?

In any case, I have now had two nights in a row of four hours of sleep and I look like crap and I am not happy.  I shall try to go back to bed shortly.

JMK

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 07:41:44 AM »

Smoke detector batteries are notorious for beeping for a while, then somehow miraculously "recharging," then starting the fershluggunah beeping again.  It happens here all the time.

Maybe what you dismantled last night is the secret surveillance unit the owners of the home had installed.  Did you know that your every move was being broadcast to a worldwide audience in the tens of millions?  Well, at least it was--until last night.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 07:41:47 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast, but the sun is trying mightily to break through the clouds, and at the moment, it's succeeding.

It is VERY warm here. Another day in the 70s. My heat (which I have set at 60 during the night) didn't come on this morning, and I was too warm in the bed. Very atypical for November!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »

We watched another of these pretty lamentable WB tv movies based on Christie books last night--this one a Helen Hayes Miss Marple.  Hayes catches the essence of the character, but her accent, such as it is, is pretty spotty, and some of the supporting performances were just LOL bad.  Plus the "Moishe the explainer" section in this one explained virtually nothing--it was like they had forgotten to film it and did it quickly in one very fast take (it lasted about 90 seconds).  Virtually none of the red herrings were explained.  Oh, well, I got the boxed set free, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 07:45:24 AM »

I agree completely with you, bk, about "East Side Story," forever my favorite MAD parody of all-time. After I misplaced my copy of the magazine that contained it, I bought every one of those MAD paperback compilations until I got it again.

I also thought the parody of HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE (entitled "Hack Hack Sweet Has Been") was brilliant.

JMK

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 07:46:34 AM »

What about "Flawerence of Arabia?"  Or "The Sound of Money"?

FJL

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »

When the smoke detector goes off, sometimes from ordinary cooking, Toby's ears seem to hurt from the noise until it stops.  (They say dogs' hearing is much keener than ours.)  If it went off while we were gone for a few hours and not here to stop the noise, I wonder what it would do to poor Toby.  We don't think it's happened yet, though.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 07:48:35 AM »

We watched another of these pretty lamentable WB tv movies based on Christie books last night--this one a Helen Hayes Miss Marple.  Hayes catches the essence of the character, but her accent, such as it is, is pretty spotty, and some of the supporting performances were just LOL bad.  Plus the "Moishe the explainer" section in this one explained virtually nothing--it was like they had forgotten to film it and did it quickly in one very fast take (it lasted about 90 seconds).  Virtually none of the red herrings were explained.  Oh, well, I got the boxed set free, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Was it A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY or MURDER WITH MIRRORS? I agree with you. They are not a patch on the BBC versions with Joan Hickson (her CARIBBEAN MYSTERY is my second favorite of all the Hickson/Marples). Still, I find them oddly entertaining. I was quick to buy that boxed set of CHristie mysteries despite their (mostly) second rate casts, absurdly updated storylines, and mundane direction.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 07:49:50 AM »

One of my favorites was LEAST HORIZON, which had a lovely short parody of "The World is a Circle," which some of us used to go around singing in high school:

The world is a rhoimboid without a circumference
And nobody knows what this simile means

FJL

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 07:50:12 AM »

Needless to say, we were not a normal yeshivah high shcool.  :)

FJL

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 07:52:46 AM »

Anyone remember MAD's On A Clear Day You Can see a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever, with Bubby Strident?

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 07:54:07 AM »

Argh! I just got a "too many connections" error message with my post lost. Thankfully, it wasn't a long one.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 07:55:01 AM »

Anyone remember MAD's On A Clear Day You Can see a Funny Girl Singing Hello Dolly Forever, with Bubby Strident?

No, I had stopped reading MAD by the time Babs became a movie star, but it sounds hilarious.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 07:56:29 AM »

[sigh] I have five and a half hours of shows from last night to watch today. The finale to the first of three mini-mystery arcs on VERONICA MARS has gotten rave reviews from critics I've read, so I'll start with that.

Of course, by skipping commercials, it won't that me that long to watch all of these programs.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:16 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I was cooking and the kitchen got smokey. DS's cat, Sassy, was very upset and meowed and meowed and paced around. She found DS and insisted he follow her. She led him outside where he was safe. She didn't care one whit about the rest of us.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 08:11:09 AM »

Yep DR MattH, you will enjoy Veronica Mars. I loved it!

Btw, you never answered my question re: heroes yesterday (the part that had you so surprised at the end).

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 08:15:11 AM »

From the NY Daily News: Tony Danza As Max Bialystock

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »

Btw, you never answered my question re: heroes yesterday (the part that had you so surprised at the end).

You didn't read my post correctly, DR Jennifer. What surprised me is that there will be another episode next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 08:16:43 AM »

I saw that yesterday at Playbill, and I thought how desperate the producers of the show are to resort to such obvious miscasting just to get a name actor in the part. I suspect it won't help its sliding box-office and the show will be gone soon after he takes over.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »

I'm heading down now to get a jump start on my viewing for the afternoon.

WBBL.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »

Has The Producers just about run its course?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

Yes, whatever one thinks of Tony Danza, that is just shamefully bad casting and bad casting is what has plagued the B'way The Producers since the day Mr. Lane and Mr. Broderick left the show.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2006, 08:24:53 AM »

I saw The Producers and enjoyed it very much. But if it came through town again, I don't think I'd see it again.

In fact, I don't buy tickets to anything any more, except for renewing the two season ticket series I have. I used to buy single show tickets all the time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2006, 08:28:30 AM »

Now, just what did I take apart in the hallway that had no battery?

Possibly the door bell?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2006, 08:30:31 AM »

What a frustrating night BK! Go back to bed!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »

The next thing you'll see is the casting of Howie Mandel as Daddy Warbucks in "Annie."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up