Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BK - SMOKE DETECTOR  (Read 28862 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:BK - SMOKE DETECTOR
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »

Maybe it was a carbon monoxide detector.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2006, 10:16:46 AM »

And thank you. ::)

;)

'wekkum

The explanatory post was for anyone confused by the Eye-talian words.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2006, 10:18:06 AM »

I just got some boxes -- from Gump's, the San Francisco department store.

I've always enjoyed wandering through Gump's at any time, but most especially during this season.

I ordered some things a couple of weeks back...and NOW the spirit has HIT ME.

I'm "In the Mood"...FINALLY!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:19:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2006, 10:18:56 AM »

Well, it's about freakin' time!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »

Is it Wednesday already?

Till midnight, at any rate.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:23 AM »

And I'm off to work!

Laters! (to quote Jose)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:30 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »

Maybe it was a carbon monoxide detector.

In-ter-es-ting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2006, 10:25:10 AM »

I'll have to confess

I guess

I'm an "ornament" junkie.

And this pomegranate ornament was (box of 6) what put me over the edge and induced seasonal spirit:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2006, 10:26:42 AM »

Now, bring on the food
Bring on the cheer
Bring on the countdown
For the New Year!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2006, 10:27:53 AM »

DR RLP those are beautiful!!!

I have never seen a pomengranate in the flesh!

Those must be hand painted...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:28:18 AM by JRand56 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2006, 10:28:21 AM »

I've got a hankerin' for yams.

I could DO "The Yam", I suppose.

I could curry some yams, or fix some hot spiced yams.

I could bake some yams and do 'em up like a dessert.

I could fry some yams and eat 'em with mayonnaise (they don't taste as good with French onion dip).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2006, 10:28:34 AM »

too tired to dance...........

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2006, 10:33:55 AM »

Hmmm, wonder if this could be part of the problem here at work...

Since I'm self-employed, i don't have any paid sick days, so I usually end up getting sick over the holidays when my body says: "OK...NOW can I get sick?" Plus I'm usually run down trying to get ready for the holidays and then hugging and kissing a lot of people at parties and family gatherings so I'm an easy target.

Something I swear by that keeps me healthy is not a drug, but a compound made from mushrooms called "Immunity".

http://snipurl.com/immunity

It has helped both of us so much that we signed up as dealers so we could buy it wholesale for ourselves and family members. Now we get sick maybe once a year but recover in a day or two. I recommend it for anyone who has school-age children or any job where they come into contact with a lot of people. The only drawback is that it has no hallucenogenic properties...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2006, 10:34:26 AM »

I just got some boxes -- from Gump's, the San Francisco department store.

I've always enjoyed wandering through Gump's at any time, but most especially during this season.

DR RLP - My parents and sister lived in the Bay Area before they moved to Portland, OR, where I was born.  The whole time I was growing up I heard stories about places my mother loved in San Francisco.  Gump's was one of them, City of Paris another, and Podesta Baldocchi.  When I finally had my first trip to SF, at age 24, I took a day and visited all the places I'd heard Mother talk about.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »

On the other side of the "sick leave" discussion, we have an incentive program here that rewards employees periodically for not using any sick hours.  I think it encourages people to come to work and spread germs when they should be at home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »

On the other hand, I sympathize with the employers and other employees left "holding the bag" when someone calls in sick.

Yes, it's hard enough doing your job during this season without having to do someone else's, too.  That often leads to resentment toward the absent employee.

And, yes, I agree that there are instances of goldbricking (i.e., calling in sick when you aren't sick at all).  

But still...

What I have started to resent is that people with kids call in to stay home with a sick kid, leave early to go to this or that, to take their kids here and there.  It really gets old when you're trying to get some work done.  In fact it may necessitate a mental health day or a mental health afternoon from time to time

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »

Like yesterday, I managed to get a couple more hours of sleep, but, like yesterday, I am now completely behind in doing things that need doing.  Because I have to be at LACC at noon I'm barely going to have time to jog.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2006, 10:46:02 AM »

On the other side of the "sick leave" discussion, we have an incentive program here that rewards employees periodically for not using any sick hours.  I think it encourages people to come to work and spread germs when they should be at home.

Yes, the guidance from my employer is that despite the fact that we earn 13 sick days per year, we are NOT expected to take them.  

The party line is that if you feel sick upon waking up, get up anyway, get dressed and come on in.  You'll feel better than you thought once you get to work.

Everyone else pays the price when someone does this...viruses run through our agency lickety-split, all because someone didn't want to risk being criticized for taking a sick day.  The result is that many more sick days are lost because of all the contaminated employees staying home.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »

Don't get me started on THIS subject, DRRLP.  One of the things that annoyed me most was the extra work I as a SINGLE person ended up with when there was "something at school" or there was a "daycare" emergency or one of the kids was sick....  My guess is that was so about 50% of the time.  :P

LOL. guess I should have kept reading. It drives me crazy. Especially when it's Friday and I hear  "I'll get to this first thing on Monday" and then Monday the kid is sick...funny it's EVERY day after a holiday weekend that the same person has a sick kid....makes me wonder...   I say this as I sit in my recliner at home after leaving because of a headache.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:46:58 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2006, 10:50:04 AM »

Of course I really do have a headache..which I must go attend to

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2006, 10:50:50 AM »

Unfortunately, we're not short-staffed enough to give me a graceful reason to miss the meeting that's on my schedule this afternoon.  Why did I ever volunteer for this committee :P ?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2006, 10:52:04 AM »

What I have started to resent is that people with kids call in to stay home with a sick kid, leave early to go to this or that, to take their kids here and there.  It really gets old when you're trying to get some work done.  In fact it may necessitate a mental health day or a mental health afternoon from time to time

Now you're ranting my rant.  Yes, "parents" can absent themselves at the drop of a hat.  Kid sick at school?  Bye-bye.

Kid sick at home?  Not coming in.  And the County even has a special code for the parent to use when accounting for the missed day.  The parent gets paid but doesn't lose any personal leave or sick leave.  It's a special cache of leave for "parents."

I don't begrudge parents this perk.  I begrudge the employer for not offering something in kind to non-parents.

But then, as a single man, I've been railing at "the system" for decades.  My primary beef when I was on active duty in the Navy, and assigned stateside or in Europe, my allowance for quarters (a special allowance for renting/maintaining a residence) was half that of a married man/woman.  Yet...the married military person gets credit only for one dependent...whether he has just a wife or a wife and 20 kids, his allowance is the same -- TWICE mine, even though he and his wife can live in a one-bedroom as easily as I can.  

In fact, single-bedroom units in many cities during the 80s and 90s were only available in more modern complexes...and were, ultimately, more expensive to rent than a 2- or 3-bedroom house.

And don't get me started on being taken advantage of BECAUSE I was single.  WHO do you think worked EVERY Christmas eve and Christmas day, virtually alone for 10 hours?  Yep, me and one or two other single souls.  After all, what could we possibly have to do on Christmas which is, AFTER ALL, for the KIDS? (I had invitations to homes for dinner and supper...for Christmas Eve sleepovers....to spend time with families that made me a part of their lives...to enjoy watching their kids get up and open presents).  No...as long as there were single sailors around, all the married folks NEVER had to work a single holiday!

AND when someone's kid had a birthday or a graduation or a sporting event or a performance/recital...who got the privilege of covering/working extra hours for them?  The SINGLE sailor, that's who.  Well, they could ask Bill or Tom to do it, but their wives and kids are waiting for them at home to eat dinner.

Oh, well....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:01:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »

Well the meeting I was supposed to go to in Des Moines today has been cancelled.  So I'm still going toget up VERY early and head out at 5:00AM if the roads are good to get to tomorrow's meeting, but I'm glad I made the decision early to stay here today
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:53:11 AM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »

Of course I really do have a headache..which I must go attend to

Well, the weather forecast caused you a lot of angst, very early this morning, didn't it?  I'm not surprised you have a headache this afternoon - hope you feel better.

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »

Off to my 2pm meeting.  I'll probably have a headache when I get back.

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »

The weather was a little stressful, the people I work with are a lot stressful, and the stupid cops who left my client's poor 13 year old yorkshire terrier locked in his house with no one to care for him really set me off this morning.  I was as mad as a hornet.  I'll be fine.

Edisaurus

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2006, 10:58:19 AM »

I also drink Nikken's pomegranate juice called Ciaga. Pomegranate is one of the super foods!

BTW, Nikken is a MLM company. I generally despise that kind of business, but I do like their stuff. I'm *not* a cult member!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:18 AM »

The Comic Relief web producer just came in to see his piece for the first time and didn't have any changes. Yay! I don't want to have to delve into 30 hours of miserable footage again! Now I just have to send it off to the network head and hope he OK's it. I'm cutting a personal film for him for free for the next two days, so I'm hoping he'll cut me some slack!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »

With all these headaches going around, I'm feelin' the need to take somethin'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up