Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHARON MCNIGHT'S NUTS  (Read 26150 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHARON MCNIGHT'S NUTS
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:28:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about Sharon McNight's Nuts, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be just as soon as Jack Frost stops nipping at their collective noses.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 01:41:47 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHARON MCNIGHT'S NUTS
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 01:29:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXCURSUS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:45:36 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm so isolated at times: I knew about the dreadful weather, but I had no idea how dire things currently were for some of you wonderful HHW friends in the Northwest.  Please know I'm praying for your safety, health, and comfort.

I'm trying to finish up my Christmas chores, still praying the BABES project is not closing down in 15 days.  I don't believe it is, but I wont feel comfortable till I know that I'm still billing for work on Jan 2 and being paid.  This morning, I'm off to the Post Office to mail some items, I must give some thought to something for my father, and I have no idea what to give him except my heart, and he already has that.  I'll play a bit on Amazon and eBay today and see if anything turns up.

TOD:  At the moment, I have no Christmas memories except for one from around 1977: my crazy, angry mother throwing Christmas gifts at my brother and sister-in-law in the front yard for being late to Christmas dinner because of in-law jealousy.  Oy!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »

I have blocked all MEMORIES of Christmas.  That is all.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 05:04:54 AM »

DRJANE - thanks for asking.  No I don't think she made the right decision.  Molly is coming to visit us for a few days next month.

Maybe she will stay, but I doubt it.  I just hope they get their power back today.  A Saturday without power - whew!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »

I am sending VIBES for the BRAIN taping and looking forward to the CAST RECORDING after Jan 1....sometime.....on the Kritzerland label.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:05:56 AM »

Working today and hoping for a BIG retail Saturday.  Time will tell.

I bought an external floppy drive.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 05:07:57 AM »

The title of today's column made me think of that old Paramount Popeye cartoon that was set in the Great Northwest....when three snarling bears suddenly broke into song:

McBluto's Furs hit the spot.
Finest furs is what we got.
If a girl you wish to charm,
Buy a fur at McBluto's Farm.
[In Harmony]
Furry furry furry furry furry furry furry furry...furrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Today's my last work Saturday of 2006 and I'm teaching the December edition of Grantseeking Basics this morning.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all our Pacific Northwest Hainsies/Kimlets for power restoration and recovery from wind damage.  Yikes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 05:39:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXCURSUS!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
To the same melody hour after hour, night after night,
As they perfected their EXCURSUS on the subject of the dance
Never noticing that the band itself had drifted away.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 05:40:18 AM »

Have a great session, DRGINNY.

I am off to work myself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 05:40:31 AM »

Hi DR SWW....have a great day!

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 05:43:45 AM »

Have a great session, DRGINNY.

I am off to work myself.

Thanks, DR JRand!  I just got word that the assistant manager of my department will be sitting in today.  Our manager, who's heard the presentation twice, has directed all members of our department to attend this monthly workshop sometime during 2007.  Guess the AM decided to get that requirement completed early.

Have a good day yourself!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 05:59:04 AM »

On the title of today's notes:

Skip went to a wedding a few years back in the Hamptons and it was already 9 pm and I hadn't heard anything.   The phone rings and a voice says "Hello this is Bette Davis, letting you know Skip is here in the car and on his way home."  It sounds like Bette Davis, but I ask who is this and stuff like that and the flawless impersonation continues, recounting the fun of the wedding.  Finally, "Bette" lets Skip on the phone, and I say "That was fun, who was that?"  And Skip says, fully heard by the Bette Davis impersonator:  "That's Sharon McNight.  She's acting crazy tonight" and people in the cra, including I'm sure Sharon McNight herself, laugh hysterically.  

At least that's how I remember it:  It's a "Sharon McNight's crazy" story to accompany the "Sharon McNight's nuts" story told by BK.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »

Candle vibes to DR George and the rest of the fine Cannibals!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

(They'll make your flawless complection look even creamier!!!   8))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 06:04:34 AM »

I should get off line and back to bed.  Today is a day off, but since I already had a day off this week I might get called in, and I want to appear rested and wonderful if that happens.

In any case, I should check for phone messages.  And when I get up again, the dogs will appreciate getting a second breakfast!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 06:05:54 AM »

And DR FJL, you are up way too early!  Go back to bed!  (After giving Beegee a loving pet from me!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 06:16:38 AM »

It's Saturday, the sun is shining on the pond anbd reflecting the trees beautifully.

I've had a plate of grits, bacon and a piece of toast.  I've had my coffee.

It is time to get on with the doings of the day.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 06:19:35 AM »

Any thoughts from anyone in LA about Laemmle's Music Hall theatre?

We got an email from Gregory Laemmle that he wanted to book us there, and that he hoped to show there and not move us to The Grand. I don't know either of these theatres. Would one be more likely to draw a crowd than the other?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 06:20:05 AM »

Grits. Yes, you are in The South, DR Ron!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »

I did, indeed, go to the "visitation" last night.  Am glad I did.  All my maternal first cousins were there.  The ex-wife of my cousin Butch -- and the daughter of the deceased - seemed particularly glad to see me and spend a good deal of time walking me around and introducing me to members of her family, all of whom assured me had been told many nice things about me.

I was stunned.  And taken aback.  I had never heard a word about any of these people, but I was assured the ex-wife had counted me among her favorite ex-"in-law" relations, so I'm pretty well pleased with that news (I was, indeed, taken with her the first time I met her when she was a mere 17 years old and dating my first cousin).  She's been a "favorite" person ever since, although we've long been out of touch.

Having met so many folks disposed to "like" me after only one sighting reassures me that I actually CAN retire here in the near future.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:23:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 06:21:20 AM »

Since I'm a bit behind, I thought I'd mention a couple of Christmas albums I love.  

Here's one from the early 70s, with gorgeous arrangements by my friend Peter Schickele, AKA PDQ Bach, whose "Oedipus Tex" is one of the funniest parodies of classical music I know:
"You murdered your father,
You married your mother,
You rascal, you're my kind of guy!" as sung by the great Dana Krueger is one of the funniest arias since "Glitter and Be Gay."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

And I play this one a lot since I love John Rutter's Christmas arrangements.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 06:22:21 AM »

Grits. Yes, you are in The South, DR Ron!

I prepare the occasional bowl of grits in Oakland, too, Amy.  Somehow, though....it never tastes quite the same!

Must be the water!!!!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:23:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

Good news on the washing machine agitator-that-ate-my-shirts front:

A service person will be here at 11 a.m. with an hydraulic agitator remover.  Yes, he has encountered similar problems.  No, it isn't humanly possible to remove a "stuck" agitator with normal exertion.  Yes, he can take care of the problem in a jiffy with hopes that the remaining shirt will be unharmed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:04 AM »

Healthy good wishes are directed toward Bee Gee!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:35 AM »

All best wishes to our friends in the Northwest who may or may not have been adversely affected by the storm.

Edisaurus

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »

One Christmas memory I have is of the year I was single, between husbands. I usually loved to decorate for Christmas and have been collecting ornaments for many years. But that Christmas I was pretty depressed. An old high school friend who seemed interested in being more than friends was shocked that I wasn't putting up a tree.

The week before Christmas, the grocery store was giving away free trees, trying to get rid of them. Even though I still didn't feel like putting up a tree, I thought, "well, it's free..." and crammed it into my Toyota and brought it home. I left it laying in the yard beside my house for several days, still unmotivated to bring it inside. My friend stopped by and saw the poor tree. He said "That's pathetic. You should at least put it up outside even if you don't want to decorate it." So he helped me put up the tree on the porch. Having it there, even undecorated, gave me a bit more Christmas spirit, because it smelled so good.

I went to my father's on Christmas eve. When I came home I discovered the tree was decorated. It was sparse, with lots of cheap plastic baubles, but I was very touched that my friend felt it was important to do that.

The next year I was with Greg and back to decorating a tree indoors. But since we've acquired a herd of cats, I'm not sure when we'll ever have a tree indoors again. Not that I'd have time to decorate it, but I do love a tree in the house! (I guess the people in Washington aren't saying that right now...)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 06:35:52 AM »

From the serious to the seriously tacky, I see that HarperCollins, presumably fed up over the scandal of her last two publishing efforts - OJ's "If I Did It" and the Mickey Mantle novel - has sacked  editor Judith Regan.  Someone's showing good taste in this era always surprises me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 06:45:30 AM »

Good news on the washing machine agitator-that-ate-my-shirts front:

Yay! Good shirt news!

I didn't realize that you were home for a funeral, though. I somehow missed that bit of information. I thought you were just going home for the holidays.

I like grits, especially cheese grits. Yummmm. Think I'll go have some now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up