Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE  (Read 27358 times)

Jason

Re:2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2004, 10:00:03 PM »

Here's another loverly marquee for those of you who are enjoying them...the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, where 42nd STREET is playing...(also the former home of RAGTIME)...

Jason

« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2004, 10:01:51 PM »

And now for a real eyesore...the new marquee at the Minskoff Theatre. Can we say "clip art," anyone?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2004, 10:10:39 PM »

Jason, I am glad you are here.   I just saw the picture from last night.  It's wonderful.  There are so many oneliners running through my head right now, I might keel over.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2004, 10:16:29 PM »

Someone call the EMTs...just in case!

I spent a totally l-a-z-y afternoon.  Long nap.  Only the lonely yowls of Miss Vickie could rouse me out of my sleep.  Had a traditional New Year's Day meal -- collards, black-eyed peas, cornbread and, as a ham substitute, pork chops!  That's Southern traditional, at any rate.

I've also watched the expanded editions of "LOTR:FOTR" and "LOTR:TTT" preparatory to my going to see "LOTR:TROTK" in the next couple of days.

So much grandeur, so much good food, so much free time!

I really would love to win the lottery and retire!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2004, 10:22:21 PM »

Just came home from a lovely Japanese dinner. Drank a bit too muck sake (it goes down so easily) and am feeling quite giddy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2004, 10:23:10 PM »

Jason, all of your photos are wonderful.  They make me realize how much I miss The City.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »

TCB: Don't feed the plants! No one-liners from you, sir... ;)

I feel a bit odd posting all of these pictures...perhaps I should stop for a while. I don't want it to be annoying...I hope most of you are enjoying them, and I'm happy to take requests if there's something you'd like a snapshot of...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2004, 10:43:08 PM »

I just got back from Seattle (I haven't read up on posts yet) with side trips to Krispy Kreme (of course) and Tower Records.  I wasn't planning on Tower Records but I'm SO glad I did!

One of the things I got was a British import CD for my niece's birthday which is not until April--I can't believe I found something this early!

I got (for me) the CD issue of LORELEI:  A Musical Comedy Based on GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES with Carol Channing.

And also for me:  "EVERYONE HAS A STORY: The Songs of Adryan Russ" produced by our very own BK!  Those are what will be in my CD player tomorrow (except for the birthday present CD for my niece).  I can't wait to listen to it...actually I'm not.  I'm going to listen to it right now!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2004, 10:50:15 PM »

Does anyone else remember those three MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT specials Sylvia Fine (Kaye)  did on PBS a couple of decades ago? The first one was, for me, the best one, especially her raves about COMPANY and seeing Richard Chamberlain (playing Bobby) singing "Barcelona" with Bernadette Peters.

Three??  I only knew of the one with Elaine Stritch singing "To Keep My Love Alive" and Patti LaBelle (almost wrote LuPone) singing "Heat Wave" (which LuPone did record).  Darn, I didn't know that there were three!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2004, 10:58:25 PM »

Jason: I really like your pictures! I've never been to NYC, so this is all new and interesting to me. Keep them going, please!

I am on a huge adrenaline rush right now for some odd reason, and I have Michael Jackson blasting, and I'm dancing nonstop. This is WEIRD, usually by 2AM I'm even SLIGHTLY tired. I can't get used to this sleeping pattern, school starts on Monday. Eh.

Time to watch more Conan. Are there any other Conan fans here?

Jeans, black dress shirt, gray sneakers. Soon to be PJ's.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2004, 11:02:21 PM »

As for the cathedral, I must vehemently disagree with you, Dear Reader Noel.  It is an eyesore, as far as I am concerned.  It is a forbidding fortress from the outside, its plaza is a completely uninviting hardscape, and the interior is chilly, at best.

For those of you Dear Readers who have not seen the cathedral, there are some photographs of it in this website:  http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html

I'm not sure where you think we're vehemently disagreeing, Jay.  I said that the Cathedral succeeds in some ways and fails in others.  The altar, for instance, is inviting: people feel free to roam under that stunning cross that extends from the window panes.  The color of the building is a very pleasant contrast with the ugly court complex across the street.  And, on the plaza, I find it most amusing that through the windows with the etched angels, you can see the freeway.  (This blocks out the noise, as well.)  These are ways in which it succeeds.

It fails in many other ways.  The way it doesn't meet the street at all, but rather meets its parking garage.  Why does the architect want us to enter those huge hallways, from the wrong side, so that, when we first glimpse the nave, it's from an odd angle?  And the windows with the louvers are indeed ugly from the outside.  Today we didn't go downstairs into the scary maze that is the crypt.

SO many architecture and church terms, my head is now swimming.  And so to bed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2004, 11:08:23 PM »

So many late-nighters - so lovely to see.  New notes up in one hour and then to bed, to bed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2004, 11:13:42 PM »

Good evening/morning!

WOW!  I've been reading ALL the posts from New Year's Eve and New Year's Day!  This place is hoppin'! Jumpin'!  Rockin'!

Now to post and catch-up....
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2004, 11:15:28 PM »

I despise AI!  I think it emphasizes all Spielberg's negative excesses to the worst degree...treacly false emotionalism, rank sentimentality, a disturbing, distorted view of childhood innocence, fuzzy cuddlies, a borrowing of themes and fawning over other films and just a movie that is simply not psychologically true, given what it sets up and initially presents.  A.I made my skin crawl.  I want to take a bath after I saw it.  It is an utterly false, empty movie!  His worst since that homo-erotic paean to a nauseating notion of childhood, HOOK!  Spielberg's best movie is still Close Encounters of the Third Kind

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2004, 11:21:16 PM »

I'm the oldest of four boys.  All in a row.  My brother "behind" me would have had that same birthday, but he ended up being a month premature - so for about a month every year, we're the same age.  So, he we are:

Jose Carlos
Don Aris
Michael Jody
Jay Alan

My brother, Mike, used to go by Jody when he was younger - ???.  Then it changed over to Michael in middle school.  *I also think it also had something to do with "Jody, Jody... The Country Girl Doll"

My parents would have me sign my name in grade school as "J. Carlos".  My mom's reasoning being that all the other boys with Spanish names were named Jose.  -Well, the other boys with Spanish names were named Carlos!  I finally rebelled in sixth grade, and started going by my given name, Jose.  The whole "J. Carlos" thing also confused me when it came time to fill out test forms - especially when you had to fill in all those little circles.  *And I could never spell out my "middle" name, since they usually only provided one box/circle for your middle initial.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2004, 11:22:34 PM »

Don't hold back, Charles...tell us how you really[/b] feel! ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:23:15 PM by George »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2004, 11:28:27 PM »

Did I mention that I also find A.I. just ponderous and pretentious and far too long to justify the slight, shallow emotional depth that it posesses.  What a heaping pile of manure.  I think it would have been just as bad in Kubrick's hands, by the by.  Well, maybe...not quite as bad...we probably would have been spared all the overwrought, twee sentimental clap-trap.

And speaking of ponderous and pretentious, Jay, I agree with you regards Cardinal Mahoney's edifice to his ego.  A totally unnecessary expense and structure.  Money that would have been better spent  paying damages to all the people abused by the priests that Mahoney has covered up for over the years.  I think he should be arrested as an accessory after-the-fact and for obstructing justice all these years.

The worst part of the Mahoney's monument to himself is that the space it occupies used to be the best place to park when going to the Music Center.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:31:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2004, 11:29:49 PM »

How to spend New Year's Eve?  With someone?  With a lot of someones?  Or by yourself?

It comes and goes with me.  I'm usually playing a show on New Year's Eve, and just end up hanging out at the theatre with everyone - like last night.  Although, I do sometimes just like going home, watching Dick Clark, and then heading to bed shortly after midnight.

Last night's party was fun.  However, I did feel a little "out of it" with some of the crowd that was there - even though I knew almost every one that was there.  I was a bit tired after the show.  Steve had a good time, and we stayed by each other's side for most of the evening.  We just kind of stayed "quiet".  It was nice.  And the drive back to Richmond was very uneventful on 95 - thankfully - and we did a lot of catching up and planning for our trip to NYC.  *Will it be the Coconut Layer Cake from Magnolia Bakery and/or the Monkey Cake from Amy's Bread? ;)

Oh, the spread of food last night was quite the spread.  And a lot of it was low-carb-ish, so...  However, I did allow myself a slice of the heavenly dark chocolate chambord flourless torte.  YUM!  Oh, and a small sliver of cheesecake too.  *I took a nice LONG walk this morning as "compensation" - and it was a beautiful day in Richmond too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2004, 11:33:22 PM »

As for The Top Ten DVDs...

Hmm...

I've bought a couple of the ones that other DRs have mentioned...

However, I haven't watched any of them.  Maybe this year. ;)

DR Jay - I, too, loved L'Auberge Espagnole!  Is it on DVD yet by chance?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2004, 11:35:27 PM »

Hmm... Is there a scientific/medical term for pistachio nut addiction?

Well, I need to stop soon...but they're soooo good!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2004, 11:42:25 PM »

Dark chocolate chambord flourless torte... Damn it, Jose, you always make me hungry! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Emily

« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2004, 11:42:50 PM »

I am home and am just about as exhausted as I have ever been in my entire life!

Happy New Year everyone!

The Goldiggers' Trip was much fun! I saw WICKED (with Maya) and GYPSY (with Andrea and my friend Robin) both of which kicked serious bootay.

Robin took the picture of the Hainsies outside of Ollie's... so I will blame her for the fact that she successfully managed to make me look like the three hundred pound man I was trying to prove I wasn't! It's time for an avatar switch before the flirting stops forever! ;)

Off to bed am I... to dream of witches and have nightmares of my mother turning into Mama Rose...  :o
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2004, 11:47:25 PM »

DR Jason - Thanks for all the NYC pics!  I'm soooo looking forward to getting back up to the city in just two weeks!!!!!  OH - Do you know if you're working the evening of Friday, the 16th?  I'll check with you "personally" too.

I did one New Year's Eve in Times Square a couple of years ago... wow, more than 10 I guess at this point.  I was with some friends who came in from California.  We somehow ended up catching a late showing of The Prince of Tides.  I still remember someone in the theatre whispering, "Happy New Year", at midnight... and other people started to follow suit, then we all returned to watching the movie.  Once we got back outside, it was a little scary actually... Lots of trash on the ground... Lots of broken glass!  And the cops weren't letting anyone through the Times Square area unless they had a hotel key on them.  So we ended up walking up a bunch of blocks to catch the subway back downtown.  Of course, once we got there, the tokens we had bought earlier that day didn't work - the new fares/tokens took effect at midnight - Happy New Year... Not!

BUT... New Year's Day was actually very nice in the city.  And I couldn't believe how all the mess in Times Square was cleaned up by morning.   And my friend, Mark, managed to snag a prime mezzanine seat for Miss Saigon - the original cast was still in - that day - the day of the show.  Seeing that show was the only thing he truly wanted to do in New York that visit.. mission accomplished.

And to all the Golddiggers - So glad to hear you all a great time.  Of course, I'm assuming Emily and Andrea had a great time too - eagerly awaiting their posts!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:49:50 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2004, 11:52:19 PM »

I also think Close Encounters is Mr. Spielberg's best.  But I like AI - can't help it.  And that is what makes the horse racing.

Andrea

« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2004, 11:53:39 PM »

I am here! Good time was had by all and I adored meeting the other girls (although Ollie's wasn't great for a long lingered conversation and I wasn't able to head out bar hopping with the girls because Robin wasn't too keen on it (I ended up walking around central park with Robin and-- of all people-- CYGOPP (Whom Maya and LC have now met)). Will post tomorrow about the trip-- my version. We will then compare and contrast with Emily's

Jed

« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2004, 11:56:18 PM »

Emily - Your new pic reminds me of somebody I know... and it's driving me absolutely nuts trying to figure out who!!! :D

Glad the NYC trip was a faboo as expected!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jason

« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2004, 11:57:16 PM »

Jed: I just realized that your picture includes your be-tighted legs! How funny!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2004, 11:59:04 PM »

DR Matthew - So glad to hear you had a great time in NYC!  I was going to try to squeeze in seeing TBFO myself - to see Mr. Jackman - but just no room in the schedule this time round.  And that's great that you ended up with house seats.  I sometimes just take my chances and just wait... House seats are usually released at half-hour if they aren't claimed by someone with the production.  *A dear friend of mine got in trouble at the Kennedy Center once for figuring out their "system" - we were waiting in line, but it still wasn't half-hour before the show.  We kept letting people go ahead of us.  One of the box office ladies motioned to my friend to ask what the problem was... He told her that he was told that the house seats are released at half-hour.  Well, this upset her a little bit.  No one was supposed to know that.  Well, we got back in line and let a few more people go ahead of us.  A few minutes later, she motioned us to her window again... and gave us the house seats.  Fifth row center for the opening night of the first national tour of Les Miserables.  *Of course, we ran into some friends afterwards who had ordered tickets months in advance... and all they could get were second balcony!  Oh, and this happened at the Sondheim Celebration last summer too.  There were some really lucky people in the Stand-By/Cancellation line... They would walk up, and find themselves in prime seats.

Oh, and one time in NYC, I hit TKTS at 7:55.... And ended up with house seats!  -Can't remember the show, but it did happen!  And, yes, I ran like mad to the theatre!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2004, 12:00:51 AM »

Hold your posts for thirty seconds and then post to the new topic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2004, 12:01:17 AM »

OK... Stopping the eating of the pistachios...

I hope..

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up