Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES AND GOMORRAH  (Read 39993 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had Gomorrah but not Sodom, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently waiting for Godot, who's in the cow country known as Gomoorah.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:32:46 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:16:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: GUTTLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:18:01 AM »

Eugene Ormandy conducting The Moldau - those who've read Kritzerland will know of the impact this recording had on me - sadly, still unavailable on CD as far as I know.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:19:16 AM »

The Fantasticks - those who've read Kritzer Time know how listening to this LP in a listening booth at Wallich's Music City affected me and how its songs influenced me.  Same with Stop The World - I Want To Get Off.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:20:38 AM »

Adrian Boult's recording of Rachmaninov's Second Symphony - I heard it whilst driving in the very early 70s - I stopped the car and got very emotional as I listened to it, then called the radio station that had just played it so I could find out what the music was and which performance it was.  Also sadly not on CD as far as I know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 12:22:17 AM »

A Tramp Shining - one of the first "concept" albums and one of the great albums of all time.  A blending of pop and classic song, with full and glorious orchestrations by composer/lyricist Jimmy Webb.  Its influence was huge, on me and everyone else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »

What am I, doing a monologue?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:25:46 AM »

The review icon is now there for The Brain From Planet X on amazon - those who've done CDBaby reviews can cut and paste, but I'd love it if everyone who's enjoyed the CD would truck on over to amazon immediately and write your reviews - the more, the merrier.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »

I guess I'll toddle off and let the WUSSBURGERS win the day.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »

Interesting slant on the topic. Mmm Life changing!

I did not really "discover" Mr Sondheim's work until I saw a production of "A Little Night Music" and bought the OBC recording.  I think it was this recording that led to my own horizons expanding.  I already enjoyed musical theatre but now caught the "bug". Later non professional productions of "Company" and "Follies" added much to my interest in the Art form.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »

"Blood Sweat & Tears" second album (The First was "Child is Father to The Man") introduced me to a more in depth style of pop music.  For the most part though I found the "concept" albums of the early 1970's somewhat over-indulgent. I guess when the Beatles released "Rubber Soul" in the late 1960's it also set a new benchmark.  "Revolver" and "Sgt Peppers" more than lived up to the promise.

My own "discovery" of violinist Nigel Kennedy through his recording of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" had led me on to other works of which I was not familiar. I was now more aware of classical music recording with more than just technique.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:06:36 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 01:10:57 AM »

The Ben Bagley series also influenced me to seek out works by the composers given tribute.  Books by Stanley Green have directed me down a number of very satisfying paths.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 05:03:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  My self-indulgent intermezzo ends.  I have lab work ths morning in prep for next week's overdue physical exam, then a round with Rodgers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA.  After that, I return here to work on the chart for Joanna Gleason.  And then, dinner with our DR Jose.  

It should be a very good day.

TOD:  
  Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance," Boston Pops and Arthur Fiedler, a 78 from the late 1940s which was my favorite recording as a young child.
  THE FANTASTICKS: I hear the original cast album and I'm forever 18

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 05:46:48 AM »

Well today - February 27, 2007, is the 30th anniversary of the untimely passing of Ms Allison Hayes at age 47 due to a medical bungle and physician incompetence.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 05:47:56 AM »

TOD:

Like DR Tomovoz, I have to cite the OCB of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  I was already somewhat a fan of movie musicals, and I had already been exposed to Sondheim through one of the Carol Burnett Show's mini-musicals, but the first time I listed to the cast album was mind-blowing for me.  The words and music grabbed me on both an intellectual and emotional level.  I played and played this LP, discovering more with each listen.  I became ravenous for more Sondheim, and couldn't wait till I got my hands on the COMPANY and FOLLIES albums.  I desired to learn more about his shows, of the people who also worked on them and the situations of their creation.  

Worlds opened up for me because of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »

Mary Jane Hayes
1930 - 1977

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 05:50:15 AM »

TOD:

"Unsung Broadway"

New Words
Smile

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 06:10:51 AM »

Another album that changed me was The Police's GHOST IN THE MACHINE.  During my teen years, I was a very up-tight and self-conscious about dancing and would avoid hitting the dance floor at all cost (which probably was a good thing, in a way, because I missed out on disco.)  But the first time I heard the music from GHOST IN THE MACHINE, something unlocked within me and I began bopping and grooving without a care.  I became a dancing fool thanks to The Police.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »

Re: last night's HEROES

SPOILERS

When i said there were a lot of heroes missing i was not joking. No hiro, no niki, no peter, no nathan ... and the list goes on.

And when i said claire's life would change forever. My gosh did it ever.  I was totally shocked at what happened.

It was very interesting to see the backstory between HRG and claude.  And very interesting to see little hiro and his father.

But where will claire go? I am not sure how this will work. She was a kid going to school. Does that mean we will not see her mom anymore? Or zach (i love zach).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 06:50:09 AM »

I'm not sure buying any album opened up worlds for me...because there was always some impetus for buying the album.  I remember buying Captain From Castile, which was probably my first movie soundtrack, but that was because I had heard the music in the film. I remember hearing Vaughn Williams Symphony Anarctica on the radio one night and I went out bought it.  It was the same with show music or various artists. I always got a sampling somewhere first.  

It was only later in life, I started buying blind.  There is one CD that probably changed my life which I bought with absolutely no knowledge of the artist at the time...that was THE VOICE THAT IS, featuring the song stylings on Johnny Hartman.  I came across the CD by chance in the mid-nineties and it just peaked my interest.  Hartman may now be my favourite singer.  And that album is certainly a favourite.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 06:52:17 AM »

My first Ben Bagley album was a blind buy and many others came afterward.  I truly enjoyed discovering the obscure songs on those albums and they probably changed my life by making me much more adventurous in my buying.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »

Edi - The package came!!! How wonderful.  Thanks so much.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:29 AM »

WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR is fantastic. I saw it in the theatre with an editor friend. I noticed he was crying towards the end. I knew he was an early adopter of electric car technology, but I didn't know he had owned one of the cars in the film. I cried, too, just thinking about the mass stupidity and the wasted opportunity.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:42 AM »

DR CP - Captain from Castile is part of the Tyrone Power Swashbuckler set coming out in May!!

It's the movie my parents saw on their first date!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:57:01 AM by JRand56 »

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 06:57:34 AM »

Hope you can check out the DVD...Quinn is so cute on it. "I am going to tell you some things today".
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »

Let me know if you'd like a different size and I'll send one. Thanks again!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »

The I LOVE LUCY season 7-9 set is supposed to contain the I Love Lucy movie - which was three episodes of the series tied together with additional footage.  It was previewed in Bakersfield, but then never released because MGM thought it would lessen the impact of The Long Long Trailer.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 07:10:34 AM »

Re: last night's HEROES

SPOILERS

When i said there were a lot of heroes missing i was not joking. No hiro, no niki, no peter, no nathan ... and the list goes on.

And when i said claire's life would change forever. My gosh did it ever.  I was totally shocked at what happened.

It was very interesting to see the backstory between HRG and claude.  And very interesting to see little hiro and his father.

But where will claire go? I am not sure how this will work. She was a kid going to school. Does that mean we will not see her mom anymore? Or zach (i love zach).

I don't think I would mind an occasional episode like this one that concentrated on certain cast members.  It's a nice change of pace to be able to focus on certain characters, particularly when dealing with such life changing events such as happened tonight.

Claire eventually had to break away from her father and family and hit the road as she did.  And now I understand why thy made Nathan her bio-dad--to have her head to New York and mix up with the other heroes there.  Everyone will be in NYC in the coming weeks.

Yeah, it does seem strange to just drop Zach with all that he knows about Claire.  And I wonder what memories the Haitian removed from Clair's dad?  What will he be like the next time she meets up with him?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 07:12:52 AM »

The I LOVE LUCY season 7-9 set is supposed to contain the I Love Lucy movie - which was three episodes of the series tied together with additional footage.  It was previewed in Bakersfield, but then never released because MGM thought it would lessen the impact of The Long Long Trailer.....

The I LOVE LUCY movie?  I've never heard of that!  Were the episodes filmed like the regular series episodes--before a live audience?  I might like to see this.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 07:36:34 AM »

As far as I know, DR DtM - it was three regular LUCY episodes (The Benefit, Breaking the Lease, and The Ballet).

http://www.lucyfan.com/lucymovie.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up