Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES AND GOMORRAH  (Read 39991 times)

Cason

• The time is nigh!
Re:NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2007, 11:52:26 PM »

I'm sad that I am not going to be around for the big 1-9 on Saturday, dear...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2007, 11:52:44 PM »

And one for innuendo!
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2007, 11:52:56 PM »

In-U-end-O!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Tomovoz

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »

Goodnight all.  Dinner time in Oz.  Guess I'll be back for the new notes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2007, 11:53:38 PM »

In-U-end-O!

Now we're cooking with gas -- we've got Adriana being semi-naughty...

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »

Alright...I think I am off -- sweet dreams to all of our Hainsies and Kimlets.  

'Til tomorrow...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2007, 12:12:08 AM »

And I guess this sort of fits in with today's Topic of the Day...  And I think I've told this "story" before...

I've always loved Sunday in the Park with George.  -(Especially the second act.)  When I first got the record, I played it over and over.  I was just fascinated by the sound of it all.  And I believe the CD for the show was one of the first if not the first CD I ever bought.

When the vocal selections came out, I loved - and still do - playing "Finishing the Hat".  Such a wonderful key - G-flat - lots of black notes.  And it fits so wonderfully under the fingers.  And such a great lyric.  Of course, I was in high school at the time, so I never really had an idea of just how great a lyric it was/is.  *And I remember playing it for my friend, Tim Doyle, for one of this school functions... Ah... :)

So... Fast forward a couple of years... I was a part of the Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration in 2002.  I was one of the rehearsal pianists for Sweeney Todd (the opening production of the festival), and A Little Night Music (the closing production).  Needless to say, it was all quite a heady and exciting time - a true beyond my wildest dreams experience.  However, I'd have to say the most moving and memorable experience that summer was when I was an audience member.

That summer, unfortunately, also happened to be when Steve and I "broke up".  I was a couple of weeks into rehearsals when we had "the talk".  It was all very amicable and adult, but, still, after being together for three and half years, it hurt.  A lot.  Thankfully, luckily, I had my work to keep me busy, to keep me happy.  -And in retrospect to keep me "distracted".

So... As I was sitting in the audience watching Sunday in the Park with George, I began to feel as if I was watching my life at that time.  And when Raul Esparza started singing "Finishing the Hat" - well, actually when that first chord of the intro was hit...

Yes, she looks for me... Good
Let her look for me
To tell me why she left me...

I started crying.  Sobbing actually.  I finally got what the song was about.  What the show was about.  *And I was also lucky that my friend, Michael, happened to have some Kleenex with him - I practically did not stop crying for the duration of the show.

So, I guess that was sort of delayed life-changing moment.

*And to bring this long post to a close - and a happy ending - Steve and I continued to stay in touch, and stay close.  In fact, I feel we are better friends now than when were "together".  We're still "together", just not in that way. ;)

**And as another friend of mine pointed out, Steve took care of me that summer.  He knew I had work, he knew I had a distraction when we had "the talk".

If you love someone, set them free.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »

Ah...  Nanci Griffith is singing "This Heart".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »

OH!  That's right, the Sweeney Todd Reunion Concert is this June!

Guess I should check in with Larry Blank.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »

As I pound on the table....

NEW NOTES!

NEW NOTES!

NEW NOTES!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »

Oh, and just since it's such a nice round number...

Post 400.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:42 AM »

You know, topics o' the day are very difficult to come up with after six years.  So, when we hit an interesting one and we get so few people addressing it, it makes me just want to stop with the topics.  Not trying to be persnickety, but this one was genuinely interesting, I think.

When I was in eighth grade, I had to do a report on geothermal energy.  I went to the library and got a couple of books that seemed like they would work and I went to look at the records...yes, records.  I picked out a couple that I had never heard of but I liked the covers.  It turns out that they were musicals:  Ain't Misbehavin' and Sweeney Todd.  I had never specifically listened to any musical before (on my own), except for the movie soundtrack to "The Sound of Music" that my parents owned.  So, I listened to these records as I wrote my report.  I LOVED Ain't Misbehavin' and had to have it.  Sweeney Todd...not so much.  I started listening to musicals after that and totally fell in love with them.  I didn't really pay attention to who wrote them and I didn't remember who wrote Sweeney Todd.  As I got to know musicals (mostly Andrew Lloyd Webber shows because of friends of mine), I did start to pay attention to composers and noticed that I really started to gravitate towards one composer/lyricist more than any other (and more than Lloyd Webber).  It was Mr. Sondheim.  I then realized that he wrote Sweeney Todd!  When I was older (high school age) I was able to more fully appreciate the work of art that it was (and is).  

Around this time, I found out that he wrote Forum.  When my sister and I were kids, the movie version used to come on TV all the time and we'd watch it any chance we got.  To our elementary school aged minds, it was hysterical.  When I rediscovered it as a high school student, I realized how different the stage score was from the movie...and how much better it was...and how much more of it there was.  I was totally hooked on musicals and my absolute favorite composer/lyricist was and still is Sondheim.  So, Ain't Misbehavin' and Sweeney Todd really set me on the course of my life.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2007, 12:30:20 AM »

Around the time I started high school, I also discovered The Manhattan Transfer.  In high school choir, we sang a LOT of their songs.  I think the first album of theirs that I got was "The Best of The Manhattan Transfer."  If I remember, my parents bought me the album because we sang their songs in choir.  For some reason, I loved them as much as I loved musicals.  Still do. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »

Yep, still unlocked..
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #404 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »

And then I discovered the recordings of Bruce Kimmel!  And THAT was another life changing discovery!  It really was! ;D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up