Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES AND GOMORRAH  (Read 39983 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »

Okay, if DR JRand is getting an HD plasma TV than I wanna get an HD plasma TV!

You really SHOULD, you know.....it's so totally worth it....and so are you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2007, 08:54:09 AM »

[size=8]
Page 3
[/size][/font][/color]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:54:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »

I'm in the "getting close to" stage, of having a new plasma HDTV, as I have it ordered and I think I will get it around the first of next week.  It was only through the very kind help of a friend "in the business" that I can take my budget that was for about a 37" or 40" screen, and instead have been able to buy the Samsung 50" plasma.  I'm really looking forward to it, and have already upgraded my cable service to digital HD.

I'm going to do some work to a plain flat wall, so that the new screen is in a rather theatrical setting.  Here is a picture of the wall right now, before we make some modifications to it.......
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:00:45 AM by MusicGuy »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2007, 09:02:41 AM »

I'm in the "getting close to" stage, of having a new plasma HDTV, as I have it ordered and I think I will get it around the first of next week.  It was only through the very kind help of a friend "in the business" that I can take my budget that was for about a 37" or 40" screen, and instead have been able to buy the Samsung 50" plasma.  I'm really looking forward to it, and have already upgraded my cable service to digital HD.

I'm going to do some work to a plain flat wall, so that the new screen is in a rather theatrical setting.  Here is a picture of the wall right now, before we make some modifications to it.......

Not that I've done anything like it, but I recommend you do it yourself (rather than getting it done professionally, which is expensive).

Of course, you probably have friends who'll do it for nothing!  Just remember the cables have to go "somewhere"....

MusicGuy

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2007, 09:03:48 AM »

And here is kind of the inspiration for a look for the "theatre wall" .....I have a pair of these fixtures in the TV room, and they were originally in a commercial building in Oakland, CA in the 30s.

This style won't surprise Dear BK, because he knows that I made my debut at the Wiltern Theatre in L.A.,....... not far from the Kiru restaurant! :)

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I'd always opt for an extra day in NYC  ;)

Sorry you're having to explore these options - they take a lot of emotional energy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Is your original flight an early morning flight? or later in the day?  And is the weather supposed to be bad early or later in the day?

In any case... I'd say check in again on the weather forecast this afternoon, and decide from there.

Yeah, I'm thinking right now that I'll wait. It's close to being within what I'd be willing to pay, but a little outside the comfort zone.   They did tell me to check back to night and tomorrow morning to see if there is a weather waiver.   So I may just check tonight and go to Omaha in the morning to see if there's any change or if there is a waiver and I can get on the flight tomorrow.

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2007, 09:08:10 AM »

Oh, my original flight is at 9:25 am.  The problem is tomorrow is supposed to be rain. All day Thursday snow and wind.  So...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 09:08:19 AM »

Good moirning!

Beautiful here, but I've spent all morning watching a film and being on the phone discussing an acquaintance who unexpectly died on SUnday. Had no idea this had happened until this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »

Not that I've done anything like it, but I recommend you do it yourself (rather than getting it done professionally, which is expensive).

Of course, you probably have friends who'll do it for nothing!  Just remember the cables have to go "somewhere"....

The beauty of this wall and location Ron, is that there is a walk-in closet right behind it.  So everything will be cabled from the back, and the only thing that will show will be the screen, and the face plates of the cable receiver/DVR, and the combo VHS/DVD player-recorder-transfer dubber.  Just 2 neat little rectangles with all wiring (and speakers) hidden behind the wall.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

Eugene Ormandy conducting The Moldau - those who've read Kritzerland will know of the impact this recording had on me - sadly, still unavailable on CD as far as I know.  

Hmm...  I thought this rang a bell, and after a Google search, an e-mail to a friend, and a phone call*...

Have you seen this?

BMG Japan's Eugene Ormandy & The Philadelphia Orchestra Centenary Edition:  Volumes 1-15

See "Volume 6"

*A friend of mine who is a theatre director and part-time classical music reviewer for the Washington Post is a major admirer of Ormandy, and he has every recording - LPs and CDs and cassettes - in his library.  -And, trust me, it's quite the library!  ("Oh, you need a recording of Cosi fan tutte?  Well, let me loan you three of them for comparison's sake." -Out of the 28 that he has!).  In any case, I just gave him a call, and he tipped me off the above site.

Alas, they have a link to Tower Records Japan, so, I'm not sure if you can still get them from there - although TowerRecords.com (US) still seems to be active.  But you never know.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »

Edisaurus' review is now up at amazon - I know there were others comping at the bit, I just know it.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »

And here is kind of the inspiration for a look for the "theatre wall" .....I have a pair of these fixtures in the TV room, and they were originally in a commercial building in Oakland, CA in the 30s.

This style won't surprise Dear BK, because he knows that I made my debut at the Wiltern Theatre in L.A.,....... not far from the Kiru restaurant! :)

oooohh, I like "your fixtures" Mr.  Music Guy ( ;) ;)) ......seriously, cool looking lighting.

And yes, I would love to go to Europe with you, Cason and whoever it was that you were going to put in a vat of butter... :o... ;D... :-*

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »

I'll go see if amazon.jp has that set.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »

DR JRand. DR Ron has comented on some of your points and let me do the same.

1. My DVD's using my "S" cable will be in HD if they have been manufactured that way.

You will not want to use an S-video cable with your DVD player. It's not the best resolution possible, and if you're going to go the HDTV route, you want to feed your TV the best signals possible. For most folks, that will be the component cables (three RCA coded red-blue-green on your DVD player and on the back of your new TV. Most old 4:3 TVs don't have the component jacks and that's why you were using s-video.

2. My cable runs through my VCR but I do not have HD cable anyway.  Do these TV's have an RCA connection so that I can connect my VCR?  

Yes, they do have numerous inputs. Before you buy any set, you need to ascertain what equipment you're going to hook up to the TV and which jacks each piece of your equipment will use. Make sure the TV you buy has MORE jacks than you need. You want to make sure that as technology advances, your TV will be able to handle it.

3. My 5.1 Surround is a separate device that runs from my VCR and my DVD player.

For most people who have what we call "home theater," this is the norm. You can choose to feed sound to your TV or not, but a new TV won't affect your present 5.1 surround set-up at all.

4. Can I watch HDTV from my local stations over the air, will I need an antenna?

You will be able to get HDTV over the air if your TV comes equipped with a ATSC tuner (that's the kind of tuner that picks up the digital high def signals over the air). Most new TVs comes with this built in now, but you have to be careful when you buy that it has this as some companies put out high def monitors which don't have the built in ATSC tuner.

Normal TV we have now requires an NSTC tuner, but all TVs that I know about have those. It's the ATSC (sometimes written as ASTC/QAM) that provides over-the-air high def.

Yes, you will need an antenna. If you live relatively near the towers that service your area (say 25 miles or so), indoor rabbit ears should do the job nicely. You don't need to by $100 HDTV indoor antennas that some places sell. $10 rabbit ears from Wal-Mart work just fine if you're within a reasonable distance of the towers. If not, you may need an outdoor antenna.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:21:21 AM by Matt H. »

MusicGuy

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »

oooohh, I like "your fixtures" Mr.  Music Guy ( ;) ;)) ......seriously, cool looking lighting.

And yes, I would love to go to Europe with you, Cason and whoever it was that you were going to put in a vat of butter... :o... ;D... :-*

Oh, Dear Miss Karen.... I may be your worst nightmare, as far as being a bad influence on boo-key, but I would never be so tacky as to take both Cason and Toby McGuire on the same trip.  Besides, Cason is much cuter!!

(Now..... how to deal with heather..... hmmmmm)

MusicGuy

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »

Hi DR Matt....... I have been told to use the new HDMI output and input connections, with an HDMI cable, for hooking up the best signal quality on my new set.  it also has the component jacks....

Miss Karen

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »

(Now..... how to deal with heather..... hmmmmm)

Yes, you have your work cut out for you, cause she's a little doll ... and he is most smitten

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »

I liked THE PRESTIGE a lot, but it went from being a dramatic mystery of sorts into the realm of science fiction rather jarringly, and I liked it just a tiny bit less because of that. It seemed very realistic at the beginning, and if Nolan could have maintained the reality of the story (which was REALLY interesting), I would have thought it one of the year's best films. With the left turn it took about 3/4 of the way through, I couldn't embrace it totally enthusiastically.

Still, I bought it on Blu-ray because I admired both leading actors very much and knew it would look stunning in high def. Every review I've read of the Blu-ray version has said it's the new reference disc for the format.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

Hi DR Matt....... I have been told to use the new HDMI output and input connections, with an HDMI cable, for hooking up the best signal quality on my new set.  it also has the component jacks....

That is absolutely correct, but most people don't (yet) have devices that have an HDMI connection, so that's why I didn't mention it. I was assuming JRand had a DVD player that had only component outputs.

I currently have four devices that use HDMI: two upcomverting DVD players, my HD cable box, and my Blu-ray player, and I use an HDMI switcher so I can have them all hooked up at once.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2007, 09:29:06 AM »

The beauty of this wall and location Ron, is that there is a walk-in closet right behind it.  So everything will be cabled from the back, and the only thing that will show will be the screen, and the face plates of the cable receiver/DVR, and the combo VHS/DVD player-recorder-transfer dubber.  Just 2 neat little rectangles with all wiring (and speakers) hidden behind the wall.

M-o-o-n, that spells "fortuitous"!  I'm jealous.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »

Beautiful fixtures, Music Guy! They would look right at home in the Fox Theatre.

I have never been in the Wiltern, but I usually stay down the street from it and salivate every time I drive by because I want to go in! Maybe when we come to LA in April we can sneak a peek, or perhaps someone will be playing there that we'd like to see!

There's another building that intrigues me on Wilshire, on the south side of the street near Rossmore. I can't even remember what it is, a theatre or a church, but since I'll be staying at my favorite cheap hotel near there I will have to check it out again.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2007, 09:31:53 AM »

Been listening to the new cast recording of Company and while I still find the concept ridiculous, it actually seems to work with the show, at least on CD.  Musically, it's not as dramatic as Sweeney Todd so you don't really miss that with this recording like you did with Sweeney.  However, I still think the concept is stupid :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2007, 09:33:44 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

In no particular order, chronological or otherwise...

Vladimir Horowitz playing Liszt, including the Second Hungarian Rhapsody.  "That's too fast." ;)

Pippin - OCR

A Chorus Line - OCR  "Is he really singing, "Shit"?!?!?"  -Of course, I didn't realize that until I was playing the cassette in the car... while my mother was driving... Oh...

Company - OCR - I only ever had it on cassette, not on LP.  That shade of purple is indelibly burned in my consciousness.  -Or something like that.  *And I do miss those "harpsichord/organ" glissandos in "Sorry, Grateful".

Steve Reich "Six Pianos", George Crumb "Makrokosmos, No. 1" - Interesting, very interesting.

Working - OCR - I used to sing "The Mason's Song" for auditions.

Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man" - An album I still practically know forwards and backwards.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »

Do you have any more detail on the provenance of those fixtures?  They're beautiful!!!

Miss Karen

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »

Speaking of Boo-Key, he's coming home for the weekend this Thursday -- so send out safe and happy travel vides for him -- and I need to sram since the casa is a complete mess (alas, I don't have an evil-eyed person to do my bidding...) and I need to turn in my first study packet -- over 20 pages of various musings.  Yessss!! I'm done (the reason my little abode has been neglected...I've been holed up in this study for a 'iffin week!).  And now, I get to start on the next course...no rest for the weary....

my brain hurts -- ahh, I know the cure, my Brain CD!  Nothing a little Brain Tap won't fit...

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »

Very Beautiful Fixture, Musicguy!

Well, I can get a decent price if I leave NYC at 6:00 AM on Sunday....so, I'm going to wait until tonight and see what the weather brings.  If it looks like it's really going to be bad, I'll bite the bullet, get an extra day in NYC and take the early flight home - otherwise, I'll wait and take my chances.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »

I need to sram

I probably need to do that too --- whatever scram might be -- but of course I meant scram (I need an evil-eyed typist to do my bidding..).... speaking of scram, I must!

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:41 AM »

I need to get some lunch and get back to that Japanese film for more study.

WBBL.

Miss Karen

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »

Oh, man, how could I almost forget -- send out successful audition vibes for Cason immediately, cause he has one this morning!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up