Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: STURM UND DRANG  (Read 52696 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:STURM UND DRANG
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »

Laura, why are you up at 4:25am? You are on PST, correct? Even if you're on Mountain time it's still 5:25!

Dreams.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2007, 08:09:07 AM »

I now have over 50 versions of coca-cola jingles on CD. I have no pepsi ones.
(I can not remember a single pepsi advertisement).

The only ones people I know notice are the ones that laughably compare Pepsi to Coke.

I once participated in a "Pepsi Challenge".  I knew exactly what the "Pepsi" was every time.  The "Coke", however, was watered down...and, I suspect, mixed with something other than Coke.  But I still picked "Coke" over Pepsi.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »

I won a Sparkling Prize once.

I love Sparkling Prizes!

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2007, 08:10:01 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2007, 08:10:12 AM »

"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot!
Twelve full ounces--that's a lot!"

"Taste that beats the others cold--
Pepsi pours it on!"

"You've got a lot to live
And Pepsi's got a lot to give!"

"Come alive!
You're in the Pepsi generation!"

The only trouble with these is their lack of veracity...for me!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2007, 08:11:24 AM »

DR der Brucer - the local newcast this morning played the video clip of Karl Rove "dancing" last night.  The anchor's succinct summary: "That's just scary!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2007, 08:11:43 AM »

Coke's the one.

Pepsi is too sickly sweet to my palate.

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »

But...there is this:  He [Rove] did seem to be telic in his dancing.

singdaw

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]**HEALING BACK VIBES** for DR Michael S[/move][/size]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]**TRAVEL VIBES** for DR Edisaurus and her DH[/move][/size]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]**LEARNING VIBES** for DR Cillaliz[/move][/size]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2007, 08:16:32 AM »

Prizes:  Have won two "sparkling prizes" here at HHW.com.

Have won a few CDs, some autographed.

And I won a nice (if a bit broken) clock as a door prize in a NATO Allied Officers Wives Club event.  The clocck is battery operated but looks like a real windup clock with pendulum (table-sized, rather than a floor clock).  The pendulum did not/does not move.

I have been around folks who win big prizes.  A guy who worked for me in Naples, Italy, won a Volvo.  A lady who works with me now won a 50-inch widescreen TV a couple of years back off a grocery store "scratcher."

Inside, my gut tells me I'm gonna be lucky one day.  Practical reality tells me it's a pipe dream.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:26 AM »

Time to head out.

Why does 6:30 a.m. seem to arrive EXACTLY at 6:30 a.m. EVERY SINGLE DAY?

singdaw

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »

TOD:

The Powerball.

Oh, wait.  It's not things you WISH you'd won, it's things you've actually won.

Never mind...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

And how come the time on this site is about 12 minutes ahead of everywhere else?

singdaw

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »

Why does 6:30 a.m. seem to arrive EXACTLY at 6:30 a.m. EVERY SINGLE DAY?

Except when we have to change the clocks.   :)   Not to beat a dead horse.

singdaw

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:17 AM »

And how come the time on this site is about 12 minutes ahead of everywhere else?

I have oft wondered this myself...

It's very disconcerting to read posts that were posted in the future.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:20:11 AM by singdaw »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  I don't know if it's all the meds, the season change, mourning, anxiety, but I feel I need every other day resting.  This week I am out every night, and this old whore is tired.

I saw Encores! FACE THE MUSIC, which has a very peculiar book; it's points on the connection between entertainment and politics is still relevant, as are its comments on poverty, the depression, police corruption, and the whoredom of show business.  Unfortunately, I don't think the book ties it all sufficiently together, but it's full of very funny moments and very funny lines.  Of course how much is Moss Hart's original and David Ives' "adaptation" is questionable since Encores! falls down on the scholastic side of things.  There are four interpolations including a song from BK's UNSUNG IRVING BERLIN, "How Can I Change My Luck," and all four are well performed.

The cast was good, and it's about time Judy Kaye was in an Encores! production. She was wonderful, as was our old friend Lee Wilkof.  Walter Bobbie, once again, is so wonderful that I wish he'd do more performance and less direction.  The three of them are very funny.

Today, another rounmd at the NYPL; today, Rossini and the new Broude edition of Gilbert & Sullivan.  Tonight, Manhattan School of Music one-act Puccini operas FIANNI SCHICCHI and IL TABARRO.

TOD:  My greatest win ever, hands down, was the Pulitzer Prize for SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.  In 1965, I won the Oxfortd English Dictionary  in the  Miami University Bookstore Award for research writing.  Oh, I won $50 once on the NY State Lottery.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »

And I won a nice (if a bit broken) clock as a door prize in a NATO Allied Officers Wives Club event.

And you were attending as the wife of...whom?   ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

Good morning!

It's cool and overcast here today. It rained during the night, so it's back to being jeans and long sleeved shirt weather today and tomorrow. That's OK. The fresh air is cool and wonderful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »

TOD:

Won by merit:  I was on a swimming relay team that was 7th fastest in the nation for our age group! - but that was many years ago, now.

Won by chance: a pair of tickets to a dinner theater production of A Little Night Music, by answering a trivia question on the radio.

:)

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:42 AM »

I have won lots of small prizes: LPs in contests, a couple of Sparkling Prizes here, some DVDs, some free movie tickets in Oscar guessing and trivia contests.

But the one that meant the most to me at the time was winning the LP soundtrack to MY FAIR LADY before it was officially released for sale. A local film critic received three LP soundtracks for MY FAIR LADY prior to the film's premiere, and he sponsored a contest to give them away. I was one of the three winners so I got my soundtrack to MY FAIR LADY for free. Of course, I was disappointed it was in mono rather in stereo but at least it didn't cost me anything except a postage stamp to enter the trivia contest.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »

Thanks for the review of FTM, Elmore. I hope to see that this weekend. I know what you mean about needing a rest. Sometimes one is looking around for anything to do, but lately, I have not had a lot of free time. My cousin from Santa Barbara has been living at the apt. for the last couple weeks while he does his internship for some photog. His wife is coming into town tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »

Not a lot of new TV episodes tonight, but there are a few things of interest.

CBS' slate is all new including a new CSI.

NBC has a new ANDY BARKER, P.I. surrounded by an evening of THE OFFICE reruns, all of which are VERY funny episodes.

Robert Osborne is interviewing Jane FOnda tonight on PRIVATE SCREENINGS. I know there are some folks here who despise her enough to cringe just when they see her name, but I'm eager to hear stories about her career which has been diverse and interesting. And since UGLY BETTY is a rerun tonight, the 8 o'clock hour is open for me. TCMN repeats it at 11 p.m. after a showing of BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.

singdaw

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2007, 08:40:09 AM »

But the one that meant the most to me at the time was winning the LP soundtrack to MY FAIR LADY before it was officially released for sale.

That is cool!   8)

And it made me flash to that scene from the film Jeffrey where Nathan Lane plays the demented priest with a penchant for cast albums...the puppeteer controlling the strings of the characters on the My Fair Lady album cover.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:49:05 AM by singdaw »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »

I am VERY excited because I just saw the list of the month-long B-Musical series at FilmForum and there are about 10 I want to see, including HOLD THAT CO-ED, with John Barrymore, which I saw long ago on AMC. ARGENTINE NIGHTS with the Ritz Bros. and Andrews Sisters, which I have yet to see. One Wheeler and Woolsey. Man, I hope I can make it over there several times! Also HOORAY FOR LOVE.

Also BK's own buddy Diana Canova will be speaking tomorrow, I think, in regards to some of her mother's films.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2007, 08:42:32 AM »

I have last night's MEDIUM to watch today, and I'll probably put in more WILD WILD WEST reruns, too.

On the DVD for NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, there's a vintage documentary celebrating Fields by Wayne and Schuster. I started watching it last night, but while it's fine, I don't think it's going to offer anything I haven't already known or seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »

And it made me flash to that scene from the film Jeffrey where Nathan Lane plays the demented priest with a penchant for cast albums...the puppeteer controlling the strings of the characters on the the My Fair Lady album cover.

I love that entire sequence with Nathan Lane with his confessional plastered with posters from Broadway musicals. "Hello, Gorgeous!" Just hilarious.

singdaw

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »

DR Edisaurus -

Thanks for posting the names of your feline clan last night.

And...that Mookas review of your film was excellent!  Really gives a sense of what the film is about, and what it is like.  Congrats!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »

Ben-
There was a story on the WFMU website of some interesting Minnesota trivia involving a nutty guy who was once the mayor of St. Paul. I will post the link as I am curious if you were familiar with these events and the subsequent song written about them...

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/365_days_project/index.html

Ben

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »

I will look now! Thanks. I'll let you know.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »

And here is the list of B Musicals in the FilmForum series running through 4-19...

http://www.filmforum.org/films/bmusicals.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:08:41 AM by Rodzinski »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up