Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: ROLLERCOASTER  (Read 64127 times)

Michael

Re:ROLLERCOASTER
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »

Question....now that I have a W I D E S C R E E N television, should I watch my DVD movies in letterbox or should I use an aspect that fills the screen?

Most DVDs that are widescreen will fit up the screen (some films will still have a small amount of black bars at the top.

As for anything that his full screen ratio it is a matter of taste. If you don't mind the bars on either side of the frame (left/right) or you can it widscreen where the image is slightly stretch. I opt for the latter.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2007, 07:11:16 AM »

Medical update:

I have a pinched nerve and I am in constant pain. It has been very difficult to walk and when I do I limp/hbobble along. They are going to set up an MRI for me and I hope there is something they can do for me other than surgery.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »

Good Morning!

Good Day!

And Good Riddance!

-Well, not really, "Good Riddance"... I was just going for the alliteration.  In any case...

Once I'm back down at the rehearsal studios and on a break, I shall continue posting.  Or something like that.

-Why do I suspect that a cup of coffee is in my near future.

So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2007, 07:18:48 AM »

DR Jose, I've always liked that avatar. It's good to see it back.  We need to plan a music order.

DR Michael Shayne, I'm so sorry about your health problem.  I too hope there are other alternatives to surgery.  when is the MRI?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 08:00:17 AM »

Health vibes to Michael S

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »

Question....now that I have a W I D E S C R E E N television, should I watch my DVD movies in letterbox or should I use an aspect that fills the screen?

If the widescreen movies have anamorphic enhancement, NO! Using those stretch modes creates video artifacts that can ruin the picture quality. They also can lop off parts of the picture (either sides or top and bottom depending on which stretch or zoom modes you use.) The anamorphic enhancement eliminates as much of the letterboxing as you need to eliminate to get the most out of the enhanced DVD.

Now, if the movie is non-anamorphic letterbox (like a lot of MGM's 1.66:1 movies such as THE MIRACLE WORKER or HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES are), then I generally will stretch the picture using the least objectionable mode.

If a film is on DVD in full frame but there's obviously a lot of top and bottom information that would (or should) have been matted off (like TARANTULA or DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE), I'll use a slight zoom for that, too to better mirror the way the movie would have looked in a theater.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »

Good morning!

It's a beautiful day out and promises to be a bit warmer with highs in the low-to-mid 70s. Depending on how my day goes today, I may go out later and clean the gutter on the front of the house. They really need cleaning again.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2007, 08:18:59 AM »

So sorry to read about the pinched nerve, DR Michael Shayne. Hope the doctors can set things right soon. I can't imagine what pain like that would be.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »

Am enjoying the new avatars of DRs. DR DakotaCelt has joined the club. Congratulations!

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »

I did get that awful kitchen floor mopped this morning before logging on the internet. At least THAT chore is behind me for another week.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »

I don't have any TV shows on the DVR to watch, but I noticed that HBO is showing RUMOR HAS IT tonight with Jennifer Aniston, Shirley MacLaine, and Kevin Costner. I will more than likely watch that on HBO-HD.

I have that GREY'S ANATOMY episode from the 2nd season set cued up ready to go, and I'll watch that while cooking and eating lunch. I have the rest of 16 BLOCKS to rewatch this afternoon, too, before finding something else to watch, probably LAYER CAKE.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »

Of course, I don't know what the mail might bring. I'm expecting HAPPY FEET on Blu-ray to come in the mail either today or Monday. Looking forward to that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »

I'm also enjoying the avatar changes. Perhaps we should make it a quarterly thing...we could put that in the by-laws ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2007, 08:30:12 AM »

I'm at the airport in Atlanta. I'm REALLY glad I left early. It took me an hour from the time I arrived at the airport to get through security!  I thought everyone would be coming to Atlanta, not fleeing the city. You'd think Sherman was marching into town...

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »

I had a very nice walk from the main terminal to terminal D. It's 5000 feet, so I figure I've walked a mile today.  There was a really nice African Sculpture exhibit between the main terminal and terminal T

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2007, 08:32:52 AM »

I was actually hoping to get on an earlier flight to Milwaukee, but there is no earlier flight to Milwaukee on Midwest. Oh well, there willbe hot chocolate chip cookies to reward me for my walk.

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »

DR Elmore, I made the mistake of putting the garbage can right next to the counter in my kitchen. One day I walked in the kitchen and there was Boo, knocking things off the counter and into the garbage! I have no idea what, if anything, I've lost, but it was pretty funny.

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »

If anyone is feeding their cats dry Science Diet Presciption m/d - it's been recalled because the wheat gluten in it came from the same company as the tainted food

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »

Good Morning FJL,  wish I could joing you all for brunch tomorrow.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2007, 08:36:54 AM »

FJL, I thought of you yesterday as we discussed filing tax returns for aliens

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »

It's an airport frenzy!!!!!

FJL

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »

Cilla - Tax returns and aliens - my two favorite subjects - business-wise at any rate!  :)

Safe travel vibes, Cilla.

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »

Thanks!

FJL

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »

When we were doing Last Starfighter, I think it was the assistant director who pointed out (humorously) that we have to be careful to follow the Actors equity special proviisons in the section of the code called "aliens" since several of the actors were doubling as aliens.  

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »

Hi, Cillaliz!

It's funny thinking of you being in Atlanta while i'm in NY. We need to correct that soon and be in the same place at the same time!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »

Good morning, FJL! I hope you weren't having nightmares about the Invasion of the Hainsies/Kimlets!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »

Hi, Cillaliz!

It's funny thinking of you being in Atlanta while i'm in NY. We need to correct that soon and be in the same place at the same time!

Yes, we will have to remedy that! I've enjoyed it here, I didn't have time to do much but study.  I did make it to Olympic Centennial Park, but that was about it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »

Just talked to my mom. She doesn't sound too good, but she could still be hoarse and tired from being sick the other night. She said they are on the road and she was able to eat a little last night and a little this morning.  

Edisaurus

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »

Whereas bk has shown the "in progress" edited Brain in LA

and Whereas he gave me permission to show some of it to Jose when he was in Atlanta but we never had the time

I thereby propose to bring a copy of said theatrical production with me for the entertainment and enlightenment of the brunch attendees, who all followed the production saga and wanted to be there.

(If that's OK with bk...)

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2007, 09:11:02 AM »

OHHHH I wish I could see it...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Up