Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: ROLLERCOASTER  (Read 65036 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:ROLLERCOASTER
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2007, 09:12:33 AM »

We were up until 3AM visiting former Atlanta filmmaking friends. I woke up at 8:30 and couldn't get back to sleep again.

We're meeting up with members of the Randy Newman list for the 3PM matinee today. (My former list mates.) I think I will be sleeping through our film. Looking forward to it!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »

Ooohhh...Peter's up and wants to use the computer.

I do have to thank Jose again for those amazing cookies. The 3 of us shared one cookie and were in NIRVANA!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2007, 09:13:57 AM »

Edi - No invasion nightmares at all, really looking forward to it.  

Re playing some entertainment - If it's on DVD, it should work fine.  Our VCR has been acting up terribly.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »

After a hellish series of running around in circles between 84th Street and Lincoln Center, where I learned the Broadway local was not running, I figured the hell with it and returned home.  Luckily I have things to work on here.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Ann!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to E & T DR ANN .  Have you caught up yet?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »

Happy Birthday, Ann!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

DR elmore - Well, the A Train is running local today.  ;)

*And when the train pulled into both Columbus Circle and Times Square, the men and women in the burgundy jackets were out in force helping out all the confused tourists - and locals too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Enjoy those cookies!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »

SINGDAW -  The delivery came!  Thanks so much.  

So at least you'll be here at the party in spirit!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2007, 09:44:17 AM »

DR elmore - Well, the A Train is running local today.  ;)

*And when the train pulled into both Columbus Circle and Times Square, the men and women in the burgundy jackets were out in force helping out all the confused tourists - and locals too!

After all the madness just getting to Lincoln Center, I headed back uptown!  Can we see DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS the week I get back?
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to DR Ann!  Come back, all is forgiven!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »

A local community theater production of THE SCOTTISH PLAY was amazing to me! Except for a weak Lady MacDuff (who isn't in the play much anyway), I just loved the production done on a unit set that resembled Stonehenge.

As for filmed versions of the plays, my favorite is and continues to be Branagh's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. I also think his HAMLET is unmatched and have great admiration for his HENRY V.

I think the MGM 1953 JULIUS CAESAR is brilliant, a film I always enjoy revisiting.

The 1968 ROMEO & JULIET is lovely and the 1967 THE TAMING OF THE SHREW is lively and fun.

And, of course, OLIVIER's Shakespeare productions are stupendous, my favorite being RICHARD III.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2007, 09:48:15 AM »

After all the madness just getting to Lincoln Center, I headed back uptown!  Can we see DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS the week I get back?

Mais, bien sūr!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »

Heading down now  to get lunch started and make a start to my viewing today.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  My 3-day weekend had a lovely start last night at Books & Co, which was packed to hear Jeannette Walls talk about her book The Glass Castle.  Only one of my girlfriends was able to join me and we had to stand throughout.  We had a bite to eat at Panera afterwards and a nice visit.

When I got home our DS Rob was here - he'd come in after work to pick up some mail and sign some tax papers.  I bribed him to stay overnight by promising pecan waffles for breakfast, which we've all just enjoyed.  He'll head back to Cincinnati soon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »

Hi, Cillaliz!

It's funny thinking of you being in Atlanta while i'm in NY. We need to correct that soon and be in the same place at the same time!

Maybe the two of you could meet here in Cincinnati and we could all go to Graeter's for turtle sundaes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2007, 10:00:16 AM »

Happy Birthday Ann!

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Ann!  We miss you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I remember a great "condensed" version of Twelfth Night that I saw on a high school field trip to Baltimore.

I also liked the Twelfth Night that was presented by the Shakespeare Theatre in DC a couple of seasons back.  Karen Ziemba was Viola.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Looks like a pretty day out.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »

On the flip side...

I remember seeing a rather extravagantly produced community theatre production of The Scottish Play many years ago.  It actually was a pretty good production, however...  The title character was played by a woman, and I could never really tell if the director chose to hide or not hide that fact.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2007, 10:06:42 AM »

I don't know if I got totally accurate information, but I'm told that the fire was started by two teen boys and that they were caught.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »

Oh...  And then there was a production of King Lear that my college's theatre department presented.  It was retitled just Lear since Lear was being played by a woman.  Eh... Although, I have heard of some major productions using the same "device".  Eh...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »

TOD - Shakespeare has been on my mind a lot this week, because last Sunday we met our DS Rob's new girlfriend.  She's a ballet major at CCM and one of the classes she's taking this quarter is Shakespeare's plays.

When I was in junior high and high school in Detroit, I attended many performances at Wayne State University's Hilberry Theatre.  Fitting today's topic, I remember The Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, and A Midsummer Night's Dream, which were all wonderful.

When I took an acting class in college, the instructor said at the beginning of the semester that if felt he could cast us in Shakespeare for our final scenes, we'd have done well in the class.  For my final scene, I was cast as Viola in Twelfth Night, which remains one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.

And Shakespeare in Love is one of my all-time favorite movies.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2007, 10:37:03 AM »

Although, I did love Pat Carroll's turn as Falstaff at the Shakespeare Theatre in DC.

*And Pat Carroll is also one of the friendliest people I've ever met.  She used to work in Richmond semi-regularly doing Nunsense a couple of times.  And I was always amazed at how sprightly and mobile she was on stage considering she used a cane offstage.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »

Safe travel vibes Cilla...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2007, 10:41:59 AM »

...And there was a beautiful and magical of A Midsummer Night's Dream presented by The National Players on the lawn of the Olney Theatre Center in Maryland.
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »

And Leonard Whiting's backside ain't bad, neither!    ;)

Here, here.!

Romeo and Juliet is not only my favorite Shakespeare play on film, but is among my top 10 favorite movies.  The score, the costumes, the set design, the acting, the song "What is A Youth" etc. etc., -- ahhhh, so romantic ....and so tragic...it really impressed me as a young junior high school student way back then and has held up well cause I still love it...

Shakespeare in Love, while not by him, is a clever take on him and his writing and life so should count... so I really enjoyed that one and put it on the list...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »

Oh...  And there was that thoroughly delightful production of the musical Two Gentlemen of Verona in Central Park two summers ago.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »

Cool avatar, DR Jose -- very artistic with the colors, pose and lighting .. and representative of you and your art...so it is very nice....but where are your hands (?!..hmmmm?) shouldn't they be up on the keyboard? ... but then maybe not, your house, your rules....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Up