Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: FINISHING THE BOOK  (Read 43051 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINISHING THE BOOK
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:40:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were brief, and now it is time for you to post until the brief cows come home - they're finishing the moo right now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:27:26 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FINISHING THE BOOK
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:41:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: VULGATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:51:28 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:59:15 AM »

TOTD:  Ramada Hotel Christchurch New Zealand - Christmas Night 1977.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:00:24 AM »

We went across the street after the film to the same place bk had dinner.
I had a bowl of soup and iced tea.
Greg had a salad.
Susan had soup and salad and tea.
Terry had chicken pot pie.
Michael had a glass of fizzy water.
Ivan had tap water.

Total of the bill: $95!!!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 02:01:24 AM »

Yes, Kate Mantilini is not cheap.

Edisaurus

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 02:02:23 AM »

While we were at the restaurant, Michael got a phone call from none other than Alice Ripley. (They are friends ahd he's doing a project with her.) She is in NY and he told her she should go see our film.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:03:33 AM »

My hero, Van Dyke Parks, came to the screening, along with his wife, and a very interesting BBC director who might be able to help us wrangle some Johnny Mercer footage from a show he directed in the 60's.

Edisaurus

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 02:04:11 AM »

It's not a restaurant for documentary filmmakers!

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:06:04 AM »

Ohhhh...too tired...must sleep.

There is a big Rupert Holmes discussion going on at another Yahoo group, RareHarry (Nilsson.) He has lots of fans on that list!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 05:35:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: VULGATE!
My copy of the VULGATE Bible was falling apart, so I pulled out my GLUE VAT and got to work repairing it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 05:37:45 AM »

We went across the street after the film to the same place bk had dinner.
I had a bowl of soup and iced tea.
Greg had a salad.
Susan had soup and salad and tea.
Terry had chicken pot pie.
Michael had a glass of fizzy water.
Ivan had tap water.

Total of the bill: $95!!!!
Fizzy water will do you in every time.

Tap water will earn you sneers from the waiters and busboys.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 05:39:05 AM »

TOD - none of your dang business!

:o

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 05:46:31 AM »

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night/this morning.

I got to bed early enough, very early in fact (having had only four hours sleep the night before), but woke up a little after midnight and simply could not get back to sleep except in spurts and sputters.

And then, when it seemed like I was finally dropping off to dreamland for a good stretch, Fletcher came into my room and stuck his nose right in the small of my back.  Very rude, and very awakening.

I somehow did manage to get some sleep, and dreamed that our esteemed BK should write a musical about Nick and Nora Charles, specifically about how they met.  I dreamed that it could be interesting, asking how a hardened gumshoe could meet and win the heart of a confirmed rich and famous screwball comedy heiress.  (Blending two musical genres would be fun, too.)

I even dreamed the advertising line.  

What you are about to see is fiction.

Only the names have been changed,
because of copyright law.

(And Asta was played by a hand puppet.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 06:00:04 AM »

yes it is the same Rod Lauren.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 06:00:47 AM »

Good news from DRs DANISE and JANE!!!

DR CILLA LIZ sets the date!!!  Perhaps some enterprising person at HHW can put her on YOUTUBE, then we can all see it and not so many copies will have to be made!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 06:01:03 AM »

Very cold here this morning, and it's a workday.  With Trish. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 06:02:27 AM »

I now have HDTV-CABLE!!!  Very nice, very different.  I wasn't here when it was installed, so I had to discover a few things for myself....and it took a couple of hours to get it all settled.

I then ran the audio through my HOME THEATRE system and now everything seems to be fine!!!

Many interesting channels and services available which I will explore tonight and tomorrow.  Very nice.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 06:03:07 AM »

Yesterday, der Grampa and I engaged in grandladsitting.

It was, as always, both enjoyable and danged frustrating.

One thing that was enjoyable was introducing the grandlads to Doctor Who.  We watched the first two episodes from the first series, "Rose" and "The End of the World."  Alex the elder insisted that he would hate it, sat three feet in front of the TV screen, and by the end of the second episode was asking to watch the third.

I suggested that two was enough for now, so we watched something Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory instead, something William the younger pulled out to watch.

In the meantime, der Grampa's daughter, Magic Mommy, called to check up on how we were doing.  When der G told her we'd been watching Doctor Who, she replied that she didn't want Alex to be watching that show.

Get this logic.  It turns out that her older brother liked to watch Doctor Who.  OB as an adult is an anti-social, obese know-it-all who cannot hold down a regular job.  Alex is a know-it-all.  She therefor considers him to be at risk to become just like his uncle, the OB.  Therefor, she reasons, he should not be allowed to watch Doctor Who.

SPOILER!!!

(I did show Alex the cover of the DW soundtrack, which has David Tennant instead of Christopher Eccleston leaning up against Billie Piper, which led to trying to explain the concept of the Doctor regenerating.  That led to our watching the scene where Eccleston transforms into Tennant, at the end of "Parting of the Ways."  He kind of got the concept.  But it connects with a comment Alex made a few weeks ago, about how he likes to know how things end without having to read/watch the stuff in the middle.  Impatient little brat.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 06:09:37 AM »

Irritating news, from the lunch table.

Alex has very poor table manners.

Instead of sitting on a chair properly, he likes to tuck his feet under his butt.

He likes to insult people about what they like to eat, because anyone who likes things he doesn't like has to be inferior.

He is an extremely picky eater, only eating half of his bowl of soup and half of his grilled cheese sandwich, both of which der Grampa made special for him, which he deemed nowhere near as good as when MumMum makes them (exact same Campbells, exact same Kraft cheese).

He was extremely insulted when der Grampa insisted that he stay at the table until the rest of us had finished eating, instead of dashing off to play computer games.

And William takes his cues for how to behave from his older brother.

Making matters worse, in a second telephonic conversation, it turns out that Magic Mommy has no problem with him sitting on top of his feet.

Sheesh.  And she wonders why he won't behave when they are at a restaurant.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 06:13:01 AM »

The doorbell rang.

William dashed to the door, and opened it before I could get there.

It was a couple of Pentecostals, prosteletizing.   I managed to shoo them away in less than three minutes (der Grampa says I'm far too polite, and he's probably right).

I tried to explain to William that opening the door when he doesn't know the people outside is a bad idea.  He said Magic Mommy lets him do it all the time.

Third telephonic conversation with Magic Mommy - she's trying to discourage this.  First time I've agreed with her all day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 06:17:10 AM »

And, finally, der Grampa sat down with William, a stack of books in front of them.  They were age appropriate books.

William, who is in the Second Grade, cannot read.

He's got the idea of letters, and can sound them out.  He cannot put the letters together to form words.

Oh, dear.

By the time Alex was William's age, he was able to form the words, and do a good job of it.

Magic Mommy and Daddy helped Alex learn to read, by reading to him and coaching him.

They aren't reading to William.  They're too busy.  Alex is supposed to read to William.

A nine-year old is supposed to be teaching a six-year old how to read.

This isn't working.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 06:20:20 AM »

And with that, it's time to get to work.  Early shift today.  I'm going to try to catch up with the postings after I get home.

Tomovoz

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »

Thanks JRAND.. you just never know how the fates play out.  I have 4 songs by the guy.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:19 AM »

Good Morning, DR Singdaw.

Good Morning, DR TomovOz.

Good Morning, DR Jennifer.

Good Morning, DR JRand.

Laters.  (An "I blame Jose" reference.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 06:24:17 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »

And we STILL aren't at page two!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 06:24:07 AM »

Very interesting to read about the grandlads!  But i can't believe all the stuff you guys have to do to try to undo what magic mommy has done!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 06:24:38 AM »

YW, DR TOMovOZ....I happened to find it out when reading about Rod Lauren who was in THE CRAWLING HAND with You Know Who....

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 06:29:29 AM »

RE: last night's IDENTITY which i actually was home to watch.

I think I said yesterday that I enjoy this show. But sometimes it annoys me.  Some of the identities are much harder to guess.  But they don't usually try to trick you. But last night i felt like they mislead the first contestant.

There was an older man with a cowboy hat.   The contestant's first guess was rodeo clown (i think the rodeo part confused him). It was a reasonable guess.  His second guess was deer hunter. I also thought this was a reasonable guess.  But the guy lost (cause you can only get one wrong). It turns out this cowboy hat guy lives in a RV.

IMO they should not have let that man where a cowboy hat!

The second contestant was much more entertaining and had better identities to guess.

Although he had his wife there encouraging him to take the money and leave! I'm sure that was practical but not as good for the viewer! :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 06:31:17 AM »

Off to work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up