Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE IS FLAIR?  (Read 46653 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHERE IS FLAIR?
« on: January 09, 2004, 12:02:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what questions have been posed, and you know what to do, so let's have loads of lovely posts, shall we?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 12:02:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHERE IS FLAIR?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:05:34 AM »

Just as I was about to lock the thread, AOL just conked out - unbelievable.  Lucky I didn't lose anything.

Jed

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 12:09:28 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to you, Evil Twin!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 12:15:14 AM »

Media check...

CDs - Wicked, Avenue Q, Stop the World - I Want to Get Off OCR, Children of Eden (Papermill)  
All of these acquired in the past 4 days.  Loving Wicked and Avenue Q.  Have wanted STWIWTGO for years, but it wasn't available for the longest time, and then I forgot to keep checking on its availability.  CoE... well... not gonna be one of my favorites, but I need to get familiar with it before I start vocal director work in February.

DVD - Same as last week, The West Wing Season One, disc 2

VCR - Dr. Strangelove

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 12:15:28 AM »

Happy Birthday, Evil Twin (aka Janet)!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 12:17:13 AM »

BK - I've always been a fan of the CD's you did with Terry Trotter.  The only recording of Passion that I'll occasionally listen to. :D  I'll admit I haven't heard the Brad Ellis ones... perhaps the next time my budget allows (a long time, I'm afraid).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 12:18:07 AM by Jed »

Laura II

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 12:17:45 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EVIL TWIN! :)[/move]

I don't have anything in any media players at the moment.

I shall now continue my story.
Ok, well, Tiff, Mal, and Mike showed up at 7:00. At that time, I also got a phone call from Jeremy, who said he was at work and didn't think he could make it until at least 9:00. He also said if he wasn't there by 10:00, he wouldn't be there. (He never showed up. :()

After more introductions and talking, I told everyone that they could go snack on appetizer-ish food, which had been out there for about 25 minutes. Mike gladly started the line, and dinner was also ready at the time, so soon 12 people were lined up to eat turkey, ham, broccoli and rice, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls, veggies and dip, and a few other items. It was now 7:15, and my mom and I apologized to Drew for not knowing he had to leave early. He said it was fine, and he ate a platter with the group before leaving.

When he had to leave, everyone said goodbye, and I went to get his coat. I let him know that we would still be here at 10:00 (when he anticipated being back home), so he was welcome to come back. He thanked me and said he'd see, but he has a cholesterol test in the morn, so he wanted to go to bed before midnight. Silly boy. Then he opened his arms to give me a hug and went on his way. I turned around to all of my friends giggling and saying, "AWW!" It was...interesting. They always find a way to tease me!

This is a picture of Drew and me. It was one of the few times I was actually just sitting around while he was there. He commented on my pinkness, saying that he often caught glimpses of it out of the corner of his eye as I was flitting by.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 12:19:29 AM »

I must say that I can't stand how my hair is at that length when it can't stay in a ponytail without part of it falling out. I also don't like most pictures of me period. Oy.

Jed

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 12:20:45 AM »

Now that's pink!!!

Laura II

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 12:22:33 AM »

Yes, yay for me parading around in my favorite color! (Although I must say I prefer hot pink.)

Laura II

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 12:29:05 AM »

Ok, I'll try to make the rest of this quick. After Drew's departure, we finished eating and chatted for over an hour. At around 8:30, I brought out desserts. See, I showed Tiff the cupcakes made especially for her, and when I said I'd put them away until later, everyone insisted that it was just not fair to tempt them and then take the cupcakes away. I agreed, and dessert was served. We had the cupcakes, cookies, and...chocolate fondue(!!!), which they devoured. I also convinced a few of them to go out and buy fondue pots! Hooray for that!

9:00 rolled around, and Cristina and her bro left because Cristina had plans to go see a band. At around 9:30, we relocated to my basement to hang out.

Here's a picture of Mal and me.

Laura II

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:29:50 AM »

In the basement with Mal, her boyfriend Mike (my "bro" Mikers), and me.

Laura II

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 12:32:34 AM »

Tiff, Mal, and Mikers (with my mom in the background)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 12:34:04 AM »

Jumping back to something said towards the end of yesterday's posts, I've found this info on ketchup over at FoodTV.com:

Definition: [KEHCH-uhp; KACH-uhp] Ke-tsiap--a spicy pickled-fish condiment popular in 17th-century China--is said to be the origin of the name "ketchup." British seamen brought the ke-tsiap home and throughout the years the formula was changed to contain anything from nuts to mushrooms. It wasn't until the late 1700s that canny New Englanders added tomatoes to the blend and it became what we know today as ketchup. Also called catsup and catchup, this thick, spicy sauce is a traditional American accompaniment for French-fried potatoes, hamburgers and many other foods. Ketchup usually has a tomato foundation, though gourmet markets often carry condiments with similar appellations that might have a base of anything from walnuts to mangoes to mushrooms. Vinegar gives ketchup its tang, while sugar, salt and spices contribute to the blend. In addition to being used as a condiment, ketchup is used as an ingredient in many dishes.

Hmmm, a mushroom ketchup...that would be worth exploring!  Yum!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 12:35:38 AM »

standing: Cristina
seated: Laura, Daisy, Aquila

Jed

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 12:36:51 AM »

I agree, SWoody, mushroom ketchup sounds quite intriguing!

Jed

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »

Loving the pics, Laura II!  It's almost like being there! (Well, not really, but close enough! :))

Laura II

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 12:39:16 AM »

Last picture (as Meg eluded the camera): Erica, Yvonne, Aquila, and me. They're all short! I'm 5'2 1/2" and I'm the tallest here!

Anyway the rest of the night was pretty mellow. We just talked and watched tv while some of the girls played Guess Who and Life. Everyone was gone by a little after midnight. Overall, it was fun!

Laura II

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 12:40:29 AM »

Thanks, Jed! I'm glad all of you get to "meet" some of my friends!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 12:40:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Happy[/size][/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Birthday[/size][/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Evil[/size][/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Twin[/size][/move]

And may I say you are much prettier than my own evil twin!  (Of course, you also don't have a goatee, which may have something to do with that!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 12:46:20 AM »

LauraII is a VISION in pink.  So pretty.  In fact, I venture to say we have the most babaliscious gals anywhere on the entire Internet and environs.  I must get up very early for work, so I'll see all you dear dear darling sweetheart lover, boopypoo people in the morning.

Laura II

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 12:52:21 AM »

Why, thank you BK! I'm glad you enjoy the pics!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 01:01:28 AM »

BK: I'll be looking for the series.  I happen to like CMT, although not as a steady diet.  (Don't tell der Brucer, but Trace Atkins makes me go Woof!)

Media Check:

DVD Player: the appendices on Two Towers, Extended.  For some reason, I didn't get to that stuff earlier.

CD player: Just some of the stuff der Brucer and I listened to on our trip.  I'm still waiting for the rest of the stuff to arrive.   >:(

Reading Material:
Fiction: Gregory Maguire's Wicked.  The source for the musical.  I should have read this some time ago.  In fact, I think I pointed it out to BK after one of his readings at Bookfellows in Glendale.  Maguire is a good read; I've heard good things about two of his more recent novels as well, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror, Mirror (guess what stories they tell!).

Non-Fiction: The New American Chef, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page.  D&P are two of the best food writers on the scene right now.  This time out, they're tackling the key techniques and flavors of ten different cuisines from around the world.  The title is misleading; the book is really about the cornerstones of fusion cooking, the sense being that if a chef/cook doesn't know the fundamentals of the base cuisines, that chef/cook will never create anything worth remembering, and instead serve car wrecks like spaghetti with kiwi sauce.  Lots of interviews with chefs who know their stuff, as usual.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 01:04:42 AM »

Boopypoo?

BOOPYPOO?

:P

(Lots of great pics, DRLaura II!  They look like a good group of friends!)

Laura II

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 01:12:04 AM »

Hahaha SWW! I must say "boopypoo" is quite unique. Thanks for the compliment--my friends are great people! Glad you liked the pics!

Jed

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 01:15:32 AM »

I've been ordered to post, or else Miss Pink will pummel me! :D  Currently listening to Avenue Q again (after another listening of Wicked), and learning that "you can be as loud as the hell you want when you're makin' love."

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 01:23:52 AM »

Happy Birthday from OZ Janet. Of course your birthday is all ready been and gone here!
DVD: We watched "The Wizard Of Oz" last. CD: "Wicked". There seems to be a connection there. I recorded (copied to CD) the Fifth Estate's version of "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" the other day. Purely a coincidence as it was for the use of Melbourne radio station. Perhaps tomorrow I shall play America's "Tin Man", Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and a song by Toto. I should have no trouble fiding a friend of Dorothy's to share my listening pleasure. All this has no doubt come about by the subliminal message from TCB (see his quote from the Wizard himself).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 01:27:46 AM »

Laura II. Isn't it nearly Breakfast time? Why is the Christmas tree there? It is way past twelfth night. (that was just a question to let you know I was only momentarily distracted by the bevy of beauties. Pink power rules.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 01:28:51 AM »

DR Jee/Jed: Only 28 to go. Have you caught up with George yet?
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2004, 01:34:46 AM »

Tomovoz, you make me smile! Our Christmas tree will be up until this weekend, the Baptism of Our Lord. Before we learned that we should keep our decorations up until then (from our church bulletins), we planned to keep them up for tonight because we knew my friends were coming. Oh my gosh, it's 4:33 here. I'm talking to a new friend in Australia now, and I don't want to leave her! Btw, glad you enjoyed the pics!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up