Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE IS FLAIR?  (Read 46628 times)

Jed

Re:WHERE IS FLAIR?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2004, 01:35:30 AM »

No, I failed to catch up with George.  Heck, I didn't even catch Emily!  (But MBarnum is now eating my dust :))  I suppose I'll have to continue my quest for God-dom tomorrow.

I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Laura II

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2004, 01:47:15 AM »

Time for bed! Sweet dreams, everyone!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2004, 03:12:50 AM »

I'm posting at 3 a.m.... A posting frenzy onto myself. Daughter left about half an hour ago for San Diego. Strange time to travel, you say. Well, if people can go to Walmart at 4 a.m., what's wrong with traveling at 2:30 a.m.? Freeways are clear(er), the night is young. So now I'm on my own again. Free as the birds. What kinds of birds are we discussing here? Because it's quite different to be as free as let's say a crow, from being free as a one-legged parrot. Wouldn't you agree, DR's? (You can tell it's a strange time of night.)
My DVD player is acting erratic, so I have nothing in it. If it were acting erotic, it would be doing kinky things with the TV set.  On my CD player is "Sidney Bechet en Concert avec Europe1" recorded in 1957-58. I think I may try going back to bed now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 08:12:45 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2004, 03:14:09 AM »

Oh... Happy Birthday, DR Evil Twin.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2004, 04:05:58 AM »

DAMMIT JANET IT"S YOUR BIRTHDAY!

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

AND BREAK A LEG WITH YOUR SHOW!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2004, 04:11:00 AM »

BRUCE SAID IN HIS TODAY"S NOTES:

I’ve had fun doing this show and it’s lasted longer than expected, so that’s nice. The show starts airing a week from today on CMT (Country Music Television) – if you get that station be sure to tune in. Isn’t that exciting? Isn’t that just too too?

I thought you were doing Penn and Teller's Bullshit which airs on SHOWTIME. Could the show being aired on CMT be the other show that you did last year and whose title you had never revealed?

BRUCE ALSO SAID IN HIS TODAY"S NOTES:

Has anyone noticed that these here notes are lacking flair?

The reason for this is that you wrote the notes with a Bic Banana.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2004, 04:31:22 AM »

Which reminds me of a Bic Banana story. (I guess there is a story for everything)

Charles Nelson Reilley played the Bic Banana on a series of commercials through the 70's and I think the 80's.

CNR was on the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was the star. During one visit the subject of the Bic Banana commercial was discussed. CNR mentioned that he was fired from the commercials. When Carson asked why. He said that "The advertising company said he couldn't play a believable fruit!"

And if anyone asks who Charles Nelson Reilley is don't!!!!!!

He was on Broadway in the original casts of Hello, Dolly! and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and directed his pal Julie Harris in mnay of her recent plays on Broadway and on tour.

On Television he was a regular on The Golddiggers and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and perhaps most famously as a regualr panelist on Match Game revival.

Now if you haven't heard on any of these shows go do an internet search and look them up!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2004, 04:37:46 AM »

In my DVD player:

Season 4 of Babylon 5

The Image 2 disc release of The Phantom of the Opera the 1925 and 1929 versions with extras including dialogue sequences from the 1930 version.

the 35th anniversary reunion tribute at the Radio and Television Museum of Broadcasting for Dark Shadows.

CD:

Soundtrack of Angeles in America
Little Me (Broadway Revival)
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2004, 05:10:36 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to our newest poster/Dear Reader, Miss Evil Twin.

Nothing in the media players at the moment. It's cold in New York this weekend so we will probably watch something in the VCR as the weekend progresses. We don't have a DVD player except for the computer drive so we don't watch much DVD material. I could buy an inexpensive one, but we need a new closet/dresser unit which we will purchase when my tax refund is sent. As odd as it seems, that is more important right now than a DVD player.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2004, 05:15:06 AM »

OK, here's a picture of Anthony and me at an interactive exhibit in the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood (Bethnal Green, while still in Central London is just on the border of Zone 2 on the Tube, on the Central Tude Line, the red one). The exhibit focused on the 100th anniversary of the Teddy Bear so we got to join The Teddy Bear Picnic.

Ben

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2004, 05:15:59 AM »

That looks pretty good and it didn't send us into Wide Screen so I'll leave it unless it causes problems for others.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2004, 05:17:23 AM »

BTW (By the Way), the A, B and 2003 on the cake were added by Anthony in the photo editing program. They were not part of the original layout. Amazing what you can do with a camera and a computer. The old adage, photos never lie is not so true anymore.

Ben

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2004, 05:25:38 AM »

We went to the Museum on our second day. We arrived on December 17th (as I mentioned yesterday) at about 8am. We splurged and took the Heathrow Express from the airport into London, arriving at Paddington. We then took one of those great British cabs, which could house a small family, to our apartment. On the way we got a short tour from our wonderful British cabbie. Since Anthony had never been out of the country before, the driver went past some nice places, like the recently refurbished Prince Albert memorial in Kensington Gardens (beautiful) and a short ride through part of Hyde Park. Luckily our apartment was ready when we arrived (the manager had said it might not be) so we could drop our bags and get settled and relax for a few minutes. We were just a block and a half away from Earls Court tube stop and we had unlimited tube passes. I'm going to break this up into smaller posts so we don't have one huge note from moi. Bye for now.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2004, 05:30:06 AM »

Going by the old way of arrival, as a way to shorten jet lag, we decided to stay up until we couldn't any more. We went to the grocery store, did some sightseeing and then had dinner with a friend of a friend. We stayed up until about 10pm.I'm not so sure that remedy works for me anymore. I don't remember it being so difficult the last time I was in Europe but boy this time by 10pm we could barely walk, let alone stay awake. Unfortunately, when we did we fell fast asleep but both of us woke up around 3:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. We watched some late night British television (we only had the five basic channels, no cable) and I'm sorry to report that it's just as lame as American late night television.

I was determined, though, to get up on Thursday morning and do something so we could get ourselves on to British time so we went to the Museum and had a great time. These stories are becoming novellas so I'll stop now (at least with London postings) and regale you all later.

I have to find either a tape to put in, a CD to play or a radio station to listen to whilst I work (some of Great Britain remains with me as in whilst).

Ben

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2004, 05:37:38 AM »

I'm the only person here. That's why there is nothing between me and the fence post. It's 8:30am in New York. I know why the Left Coasters are gone but where are the others?

I am, BTW, very glad that John Tartaglia and Stephanie D'Abruzzo, from Avenue Q, will both be eligible for Leading Actor/Actress in a Musical categories. Although I don't think John will win. I know it's early in the season, but even though Boy from Oz is not very good in many respects, Jackman is so good in it, and he's charmed enough of the Broadway community, that I think he will probably take the Tony for Leading Actor in a Musical. Just my little prediction on the June horse race. Take it for what it's worth. And now, I promise, I will stop posting, for a while, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 05:38:49 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2004, 05:57:13 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Evil Twin (a character in the next Austin Powers movie?).

CD Player: Illya Darling. The overture is zipping me through my morning chores.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2004, 06:44:37 AM »

Happy Birthday, Evil Twin!! Hope your day is filled with lots of cake!  

PS -- a birthday cake report is customary here on HHW
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2004, 06:50:07 AM »

Michael - BK did "Bullshit" last season.  This season he did a reality show for CMT.  I think it was about rodeos but I'm not sure.

BK - Your "Flair" song was very close to a similarly titled Maltby-Shire song from STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW.  Also - with your new schedule, will HHW go back to the old schedule of new notes being posted when you wake up in the morning instead of before you go to bed at night?

CD - Nothing new since WICKED which gives me a chance to catch up on some old favorites.  I'm waiting for some cut-outs I have on order from All Music and also for Footlights to get FIREBRAND OF FLORENCE (Weill/I Gershwin) back in stock.

DVD - Lots here:
*A Richard Rodgers concert with major West End stars including Ruthie Henschell and Kim Criswell.  The highlight: Dame Judy Dench dressed like Baby Jane Hudson singing "I Am 16 Going On 17"!

*The four disc Looney Tunes Golden Collection - People have been complaining about what is not included.  If they included everything here there couldn't be a Volume 2 in the future.  My only complaint: the cartoons are beautifully restored, but many of the extras such as the Termite Terrace documentary are very washed out.  I find this a common problem on DVDs.  Is it that expensive to restore clips, trailers, etc. so the quality matches the main material.

*2 early Mamoulian films: "Applause" with Helen Morgan and Rodgers & Hart's "Love Me Tonight" with Chevalier, MacDonald, Myrna Loy and Little Ricky's babysitter Mrs. Trumball.  Jeanette is a delight when not saddled down with Nelson.  Both films are not only interesting from an historical point of view but damn good entertainment as well.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2004, 06:52:17 AM »

DR Ben,

Keep the London postings rolling. I'm enjoying them a lot.

And a question (for DR Ben and other DRs). A friend is heading to NYC and can't decide between Wonderful Town and The Boy From Oz. I say he should grab the chance to see Hugh Jackman. Other opinions? Thanks.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2004, 07:01:04 AM »

DR Dan, they are both usually on the half-price booth so if he can see them both I would say go for it. If he can only choose one, hmmm. Jackman is hot, sexy and funny but Donna Murphy is wonderful, and funny too. Oh, well, I'll go for the sex. See Jackman :-)

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2004, 07:12:30 AM »

A big Happy Birthday to DR Evil T!

Jed

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2004, 07:12:57 AM »

Gah, I hate when the automated substitute teacher calling machine goofs up.  I only sub for high school and middle school (by choice), but occasionally the machine will still call me to offer an elementary school job.  It did so this morning at 6:15, and I have been unable to get back to sleep.  Oh well, just an earlier start to what's turned out to be a non-working day than usual.

I have now put the always delightful The First Nudie Musical in the DVD player, and am enjoying the cast commentary track.  If one is gonna be up in the morning, there are far worse forms of entertainment.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2004, 07:14:58 AM »

Ben you picture cracked me up! What fun!

In my DVD player: A spaghetti western from 1963 called GUNFIGHT AT RED SANDS starring Richard Harrison and Giacomo Rossi-Stuart.

In my CD player: Sergio Franchi

In my VCR: Started to watch Day of the Dolphin, but just couldn't get into it...despite my love of dophins. Will have to pop in a tape of FLIPPER instead.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2004, 07:18:33 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, drEVIL TWIN/JANET!![/move]

DR DiT - I really like the Illya Darling cast recording.  My favorites are Overture, Medea, I'll Never Lay Down Anymore, and the song the American guy sings....I forget the title!  Side one is so much fun, and then I don't think I have listened to side two more than once or twice....it's an LP, folks.

DVD PLAYER:  The Ghoul w/Boris Karloff, next WHERE THE BOYS ARE!

CD PLAYER:  The Best of the McGuire Sisters

VHS:  The Giant Claw - taping for a DR here at HHW.

Thanks for the pics, Laura.  Very nice...and very PINK!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2004, 07:21:36 AM »

Thank you, Dear Readers Tomovoz, TD, Jose and George, for your comments regarding IGMATATIOTR.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2004, 07:29:32 AM »

MBarnum, I can always look at Flipper. Brian Kelly as the father - as I said earlier this week OY. He certainly provided many fantasies, but then this is a family web site so I won't elaborate.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2004, 07:30:33 AM »

I have a vinyl copy of Illya Darling. I'll have to take it out to Long Island where we have the turntable and listen to it again. Haven't heard it in years.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2004, 07:32:56 AM »

Another day without school.  The kids are going bonkers (or is that me?).  Anyway--

[size=8]QUESTION FOR ALL WASHINGTONIANS[/size]--

It occurred to me that the bottomless well of knowledge that is HHW might be able to help my aging and decrepit memory with something.  I grew up for a few years in Bellevue (the city, not the insane asylum--well, the city anyway) and I have been racking my brain (no easy task) to remember the name of the one and only movie theater that was there in the late 60s and early 70s.  I think it was a guy's name, John something.  Does anyone possibly know this?  TIA.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2004, 07:39:25 AM »

MATTH - the guys skating last night WAS very sad.  Maybe Weir can get in over Weiss, which would be okay.  But it's too bad that Goebel won't even be on the US team.

Rohene's problems were exactly what Button said, he doesn't have the training regimen - he fell on EVERYTHING he tried.  

Here is my take on Goebel - and it's NOT his boots!  I think Frank Carroll has got a new hot skater and is spending a LOT of time with him and Goebel can't take it....he's not the only one on the practice schedule now and it's messed up his head.  These poor skaters taken away from their families bond with these coaches who are there for the prestige and the money and when it's time to move on, they're ready - sometimes the skaters are not....sad sad sad.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2004, 07:40:42 AM »

JMK - Would it have been the John Danz theater?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up